Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 421 to 440 of 2,111

DestinationPs

@CThrash13
I bought everybodys golf and I think it's really good. There are many courses but it takes quite some time to unlock them. Like some review I read said, the game wants to be for everybody but you have to invest a lot of time to really get into it and enjoy it. But I highly recommend it, it's fun to play local multiplayer and online also!

DestinationPs

Th3solution

Okay, so I have a 'buy 2, get one free' coupon that I can use, so here are a list of some games I've been considering. But I need to pick just 3. Which 3?
Witcher 3, Gravity Rush 2, ME: Andromeda, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 0, Doom, Watch Dogs 2, and Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Flaming_Kaiser 👆🏼

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

iARDAs

Playing Nova-111 on the Vita. Was given for free many months ago for PS4 and Vita. Relaxing game.

PSN: iARDAs

Elodin

Thinking of picking up a sale game. Was leaning towards Prey or Xcom 2(hoping the loading times are fixed.). Maybe even Grand Kingdom or Technomancer (being only $10) Any recommendations?

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

DestinationPs

I'm thinking about getting either The evil within or Resident evil revelations 2 from the halloween sale. Any suggestions?

Edited on by DestinationPs

DestinationPs

Baitsausage

Just wanted to chime in here with a couple of games I've enjoyed recently. I'm reforming myself to actually complete the games I buy, so I started with something short and sweet, namely Actual Sunlight on the Vita.
'Sweet' isn't really a word I would choose to describe this game, however the really basic gameplay mechanics and the questions that it asks about social paradigms, mental health and cognitive dissonance are really worth the hour or so it takes to play through. Before I realised it I had the game 100% finished and I haven't done that for a while now.
Finally, I recently completed Assassin's Creed: Origins and I can quite comfortably say that, in my humble opinion, it's one of the most enjoyable entries to the series in recent years. I enjoyed the new direction the series tried to take with Unity and post-patching it wasn't a terrible title, but it honestly feels like Origins actually realises a lot of those ideas with more focus and clarity. The main narrative is engaging and delivers a pretty wholesome conclusion, with a solid playtime and plenty of diversions available at the drop of a hat, whether that's fighting in gladiatorial arenas or exploring pyramids and sunken temples. I'm currently churning through the side-quests which really remind me of the Witcher 3’s approach to ambient storytelling, just under the hand of Ubi's spoonfeeding delivery. Whilst the stories aren't rammed down your throat, some of them are a little on the hammy side and can be reduced to simple fetch quests, but similarly to The Witcher 3's hit-rate there are some fantastic side quests available as well. With more dynamic, if not a little frustrating, combat mechanics and levelling systems in play it feels like Origins may be a really good kick up the arse for this franchise.

Some of that voice acting isn't too hot though. Luckily protagonist Bayek is pretty solidly played and also, if you do play this title then be prepared to adopt 'neket iadet' in to your daily parlance.

Baitsausage

Th3solution

@Baitsausage Actual Sunlight was a heavy game, for sure. Not really fun, just ... interesting. And extremely short. For the short run time and unique message alone, i would also recommend it, with just a slight bit of hesitation.

Ok, as far as ACO goes, to give me some perspective, between AC: Origins, Witcher 3, and Horizon Zero Dawn - which would you recommend the highest?

Baitsausage

@Th3solution WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ME!? I can't answer that!
But it's The Witcher 3 for me, by a long shot. I think that game was pretty much spot-on after the first couple of patches to fix tinytext and some of those launch bugs!
Having said that, I'm actually still working on HZD so I can't confidently say that won't jump ahead, I really am enjoying it but it's one of those titles I put on hold and failed to complete.
All that considered, I'd probably have to put AC:O towards the bottom of that list based on what it is competing with in terms of contemporaries! Having said all that, I'd still absolutely recommend AC:O to most people. It's more Assassin's Creed, it's a lot more open to allowing each player to have a unique play style and it looks and plays pretty bloody smooth! Just might not quite be better than The Witcher..
Or Hearts of Stone...
Or Blood and Wine....
Or Gwent.

Baitsausage

Th3solution

@Baitsausage Ha, ha! Okay, I’ll accept that. So even though it is second fiddle to the likes of W3 and HZD, it is still a high recommendation. I think I’ll end up buying it at some point, but maybe play W3 first. I have really loved HZD, of course, so that is a good benchmark.

Baitsausage

@Th3solution At the moment, I'd say that's definitely the case. I'd be VERY surprised if Ubisoft are able to pump this game up much more now that it's in the wild, they would have to produce some phenomenal DLC on par with 'Blood and Wine' (or The Frozen Wilds, which I hear is also excellent) to elevate Origins to actually compete with Witcher in terms of the story it tells and how well it accomplishes that task. Origins has a really brilliant story and I love their new protagonist, Bayek, but it's not a narrative that involves you as a player at all. Whilst it is a linear narrative, Bayek feels really three-dimensional and conflicted in a lot of the conversations and dialogues, which is refreshing given that Jacob Frye in Syndicate was, to my mind, more than a little lackluster.
I'd say if you're yet to play Witcher 3, give a little of your time to that and see how you do, because you'll either find its not to your taste or you'll vanish down the rabbit hole for a few weeks! Origins, in the mean time, will only really get cheaper and more stable, although as I said it does play really well 90-odd% of the time!

Baitsausage

Octane

@Th3solution If the choice is between TW3 and AC:O. The Witcher 3, hands down.

Octane

Baitsausage

Octane wrote:

@Th3solution If the choice is between TW3 and AC:O. The Witcher 3, hands down.

This is crystallised wisdom. You get so much more for your money with The Witcher 3. And it's less than half the price of AC:O as a GOTY edition now!

Baitsausage

Th3solution

@Octane @Baitsausage Yeah, it’s amazing to me how the game is nearly 3 years old and has yet to have any serious challengers to compete with its universally praised world, narrative, characters and gameplay, despite us now being in the peak of this generation’s development cycle and with all the quality titles that have come out and are coming out constantly. I believe the games tend to gradually improve in quality through a console generation but W3, despite being relatively early in this gen (released less than 2 yrs after PS4 released) is still undisputed keeper of the throne. I would guess HZD is the only game that comes close in the open world story driven third person genre. I will play W3 eventually, just need to clear up some games first. Thanks for the insight and recommendations!

Octane

@Th3solution That used to be true in the past, when each console was a completely new machine and the developers had to put serious time and effort into understanding how to get the most out of it. I think it's less true these days, now consoles are essentially PCs in a box. The architecture is familiar, and sure, we'll see some improvements, but I don't think the difference is night and day as it was the case on older consoles. I feel that we've already had plenty of (good looking) quality titles ever since day one, meaning that they can still compete with newer titles.

Octane

Baitsausage

@Th3solution I've got to agree there, I try to keep up with games as they release, largely because I budget for my games a month or so in advance, but even then I'm not buying games that are blowing me away anyway near as much as The Witcher has done. I played the first two titles on the PC as they released and to see how far that franchise came with The Witcher 3 makes me really excited to see what CD Projekt Red will come up with next! If it's this Cyberpunk title, I think I'm gonna be made up!
And always happy to recommend a game! I never get to talk about this stuff in my day to day, so it's nice to have a place like this where we can all just chat about what we're playing!

Baitsausage

Th3solution

@KratosMD The only one of these I have experience with is Until Dawn, which I only played because it was free on PS plus a while back and I just suddenly got in the mood for a story driven game. I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I think I gave it a 8/10. Despite the premise sounding mundane (a horror/thriller with teenagers spending the night in a cabin...) I actually found the story to be pretty good. Most of the characters were okay and the voice acting was good. Gameplay is kind of watered down (QTEs, exploration, plot choices) but how you play the game and decisions you make do affect the outcome and conclusions, to an extent. Seems like the experience was about 8-10 hours and I don’t really plan to play it again, although there is incentive to do so to get some alternate endings, depending on who survives your playthrough. Is it worth €20? That’s a good question. I’d say yes, but barely. If it were €15 I’d say definitely buy it. But at this price point, it depends on your budget. I don’t know, the other two games on your list might be better options, I haven’t played either. I’m kind of interested in Everybody’s Golf, but afraid I might get bored quickly of it.

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

@KratosMD That sounds like a good plan. Yooka reviewed well. Too bad you don’t have PS plus then huh? Or at least didn’t have it about a year ago when they gave away Until Dawn.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic