Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 2,111

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Th3solution The Last Guardian is one of my favourite games of this generation. Bought it at launch & I don't regret it. However, as it's a game that tries to be intentionally frustrating it's hard to recommend. You'll either absolutely love it or dislike/be frustrated by it.
If you waited this long I'd wait for a sale- just don't spoil the game for yourself!

Here in the U.K. TLG has been available for as low as £25 (~$32), so I'm sure you won't have to wait too long.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

@Fight_Teza_Fight Solid advice, my friend. I loved Shadow of the Collosus and Ico, so I think it will resonate with me, but I do have plenty to keep me busy and so I might just wait a few more months for that price drop, or (crosses fingers) even as an eventual free PS plus game since SotC and Ico were at one point. 🤞🏼

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

shingi_70

So I had a PS4 early this gen and ended up selling it early on for a Xbox One since that's where my friends were playing. Now I'm planning to grab a PS4 over black Friday and wanted some recommendations.

I was planning on grabbing FFXV, Persona 5, and maybe a horror or platformer for the system.

I'm mainly looking for Playstation and PSN exclusive stuff.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

PSN: shingi_70

Th3solution

@shingi_70 So many possibilities, man. If you're just starting out, then this would be my personal recommendations (I just mixed in all genres but there are some horror and platformers there):
Essential Exclusives: The Uncharted Collection and The Last of Us Remastered (if you didn't play those on PS3), Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet & Clank (platformer shooter).
Second tier exclusives (definitely good games as well): Infamous Second Son, Until Dawn (horror), Resogun, The Order 1886, Danganronpa Reload 1/2.
Exclusives that are thought of as top tier, but I personally haven't played yet: Bloodbourne (kind of seems a little like it has horror elements), The Last Guardian, Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy (another platformer)

Those games along with FFXV and Persona 5 could keep you busy for ages with excellent content. And that's just Sony exclusives, not even counting multi platform stuff. If you didn't play them on Xbox One, you also could check out a couple of my favorites- Metal Gear Solid V, Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

And by the way, many of these listed are pretty inexpensive too, since they have been out for a while.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

shingi_70

@Th3solution

Thanks for the List. I've played Resgun, Knack, and Infamous second Son. Curious about playing first light since fetch was my favorite thing about second son.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

PSN: shingi_70

Th3solution

@shingi_70 First Light was really good, especially if you like Second Son. Same basic gamely but Fetch's powers are a little more fun to mess around with, imo. It is of course a shorter game, but still a solid extension of SS.
Another exclusive I forgot to add to my "top tier exclusives that I haven't played yet" list is Yakuza 0. People keep gushing about that one too.

Kidfried

Hey y'all. I need your help.

My younger brother is coming over today until tomorrow. He's into gaming, though he doesn't have a PlayStation. Do you have any recommendations on good games we could be playin' together?

We enjoyed TowerFall and Rocket League together a lot in the past, but we both can enjoy a variety of games. Any tips? (Doesn't need to be multiplayer necessarily, but at least fun to experience together)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Octane

Try Dark Souls and see if he's really into gaming. No-death run or get out. That's how we play.

Octane

Tasuki

@Kidfried If you guys like FPS/Loot type games I suggest Borderlands 2 on The Handsome Collection, it has split screen.

Diablo III is good if you like Dungeon Crawlins

Then of course you have games like Madden, FIFA, and MLB the Show if you like sport games.

Tekken 7 is great if you like fighters and it's easy to pick up and play.

If you want cheap look into indie games like Guns, Gore and Cannoli or Nidhogg.

What type of games are you both into, that will help a bit on giving suggestions.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Gremio108

I've got a question. Since playing the Knack II demo the other day, my kids are pestering me to get the first one. Do I hang on and see if it makes that mythical PS Plus appearance or shall I just go for it? What do we think its chances are of appearing on there, really?

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

BAMozzy

@Gremio108 Chances are, Knack will come to PS+ IGC but there is also the chance that it won't. If you are 'that' concerned, you could probably pick it up cheaply on disc - maybe even a second hand version if you buy those. Then, if it does get offered, you can sell/trade your disc copy although, if you do, you will not be able to play Knack IF you let your Subscription lapse. I know for many, me included, there is little chance of letting my PS+ subscription lapse BUT circumstances could change.

The fact that Sony now appear to be offering a 'decent' AAA game, along with an Indie and maybe a 'bonus' game or two since the Price Hike, I would say that there is now a greater chance of seeing Knack at some point. If you 'luck' is anything like mine, then if you do buy it, the very next month will have it for free. I bought Sunset Overdrive and less than a week later, MS announced it for GwG - its not the first time that has happened either.

Personally, I would say just buy it. At least then you and your kids can play it for definite rather than keep waiting and hoping and waiting... I don't believe its expensive

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Gremio108

@KratosMD Thanks yeah I'm leaning towards picking it up. Went in CEX this morning but they were asking for £10, thought that was a touch steep. I'm sure I can get it cheaper. I've a feeling it will be a christmas PS Plus game, it has that toybox vibe going on.
I'll be on hand to help them if they need it. They'll play it on co-op and shout for me when necessary, probably when I'm in the other room in the middle of an important phone call, or on the toilet or something.

Gremio108

@BAMozzy That is a good point, if it appears on Plus I can at least recoup some of the cost. And if I can bring about the appearance of Knack on PS Plus using the "Just-Bought-It Curse" then I'll have done my bit!

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Gremio108 Also worth keeping an eye out for a PSN sale. Knack is basically on sale every other month. Think last month it was available for £3.99.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

BAMozzy

@Gremio108 LOL - if that works, quite a few people will be happy as they often say they want Knack in the comments when PushSquare asks what games people are hoping for every month...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

ArkhamKnerd

I work at a hotel cleaning rooms (yeah it kind of sucks) and today while in a guest's room I noticed they had a PS4 hooked up. Had a sweet Darth Vader decal on it and a cool controller I've never seen. They had a backpack full of games so I decided to be nosey. 😂 They had Destiny, The Surge, Mortal Kombat, BF1, NBA 2K17 and a few others. I'm guessing they mainly play online with the type of games they had. I really wanted to leave a note recommending games like HZD, NieR Automata, and Persona 5 haha 😜

Edited on by ArkhamKnerd

ArkhamKnerd

PSN: ArkhamKnerd

Kidfried

@Tasuki I liked your suggestion of Nidhogg, so we went with that. We also played Furi quite a bit, alternating every death. But overall he's kind of hard to please, so we didn't game a lot, unfortunately.

My own favourite local multiplayer games are TowerFall, Rayman Legends, Tricky Towers and Sportsfriends.

Oh, and we played It's You, too (3 player game). More entertaining than I expected, also. I can recommend it, though it's best enjoyed not more than once every session.

Kidfried

Tasuki

So I have been playing MLB the Show 17 the past few days and I have to say I am really enjoying this game alot, and I am not a hardcore baseball or sports fan in general. I haven't really played this series till now because I was afraid it wouldnt be causal friendly but boy I was wrong. There are a ton of options that by adjusting you can make the game as causal as you want or as hardcore as you want.

I highly recommend this game even if you are not a hardcore sports fan.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

CThrash13

Yeah, The Show is fantastic for hardcore baseball fans and casual gamers. It's literally the main reason I bought a PS4 Pro after trading in my original PS4 earlier this year. I missed The Show big time! Super Mega Baseball 2 may be one for you to keep an eye on too. The first one was really fun, and SMB 2 releases in early 2018 with a lot more than the first one had.

Has anyone bought Everybody's Golf? I've heard great things, but I'm worried there just aren't enough courses to keep it fresh long term. Any thoughts?

CThrash13

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic