Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 2,111

Th3solution

@ralphdibny @Thrillho It’s a fairly meaty game, I probably spent 50 hours on it, but it can be a little quicker and it can also be much longer if you go for the platinum. I loved every minute of it though. Curious to hear how you like it, if/when you get around to it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@PeacefulPlaya516 Actually, I hope I didn’t inadvertently mislead you — Death Stranding is not a shooting range type game, so sorry about the confusion. It is, however, a great game in general, but the shooting in it is all from a third person perspective and the shooting is actually a minor part of the overall gameplay experience. Sorry if I confused you on that.
As for a shooting range game, I really don’t know of one, but I’m sure they exist somewhere on PS4. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

PeacefulPlaya516

@Th3solution oh no I always love a good game suggestion! I will forsure check it out. Sounds good!! I appreciate the feedback!!

PeacefulPlaya516

nessisonett

@WaveWitch We played it with Game Club recently and personally I thought it was decent, although far from the masterpiece it was reviewed as at the time just due to it ageing a bit. It’s absolutely worth playing though, some people will get a lot more mileage than others.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

Would anyone recommend Super Meat Boy?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Thrillho

@WaveWitch I only got into the series when Infinite was a PS+ freebie on the PS3 and really enjoyed it but didn’t play the first two games until the remasters came out.

The story and world of the games are still fantastic and I’d say definitely still worth your time. The combat feels a bit clunky but the plasmids make things interesting. The research camera is also a neat addition.

So I’d say to go for it, especially as the Collection is frequently on sale. Just don’t expect smooth combat like the DOOM games!

Thrillho

Alexmazy

@WaveWitch personally I enjoyed it. It wasnt amazing, far from it. Very old etc. But it was very very creepy, I'd give it a try

Alexmazy

tangi_atori

Would anyone recommend Nier: Automata ?

I'm looking for a sci-fi rpg thats newer.

tangi_atori

nessisonett

@tangi_atori Yep, it’s fantastic. It’s an action RPG that’s mostly sci-fi with some medieval influences. Just don’t think it’s over when the credits roll!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

sorteddan

@tangi_atori
Highly recommend it. Played a few months back and its unlike anything I've encountered before. Mainly 3rd person action rpg but not afraid to mix it up in terms of genre - including vertical/horizontal scrolling shmup/ twin stick shooter and occasional bullet hell sections. The storyline and characters may also have you thinking after you finish playing.
I found it relatively easy going on normal difficulty setting.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Thrillho

@tangi_atori Great game. Fun combat with cool characters, fun combat, some silly moments, but an overall story that is quite philosophical. A pretty unique combination!

Thrillho

PSVR_lover

@tangi_atori - I simply love Nier: Automata. One of my very favorite games on the system. A must play. The game is very strange and the story highly original. A must play game.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Black_Swordsman

I'm getting Bound By Flame no matter what tomorrow morning. But has anyone played it ,to give me a bit of background on the game?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore You had mentioned a few games that might be similar to the older God of War games —
Based on my limited and remote history with the older GoW games, I would say the 4 games you listed (DMC series, Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Metal Gear Rising) are similar to each other more so than similar to the old God of War. I guess there is a rough commonality in that they have quick kinetic combat, hacking combos with magical attacks, with some basic platforming. But Bayonetta and DMC are probably the closest to GoW in my mind, probably because the fantasy style setting they have and the presence of large over-the-top environments and enemies. Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are also really fast and action oriented though. I haven’t played MGR outside of the demo, so can’t speak with much authority on it; for some reason I didn’t care for it much in my short time with it, the combat didn’t feel intuitive like GoW does.

Vanquish though is quite fantastic, and although of the 4 games you list it’s probably the furthest from GoW as far as playstyle, yet it’s a really fun third person sci-fi shooter. Highly recommend.

What put me off on the DMC games I tried (I can’t even remember which entries I tried but I never spent much time on any of them) was that although the combat was fun and energetic, it felt a little chaotic and superfluous. Lots of flash with no substance. Not to mention it focused a lot on stringing together combos to get higher hit counts and that’s just not my thing. Bayonetta does this less, so I enjoyed it more than DMC, but it’s issue is the absolute quirkiness of it all. I mean, what other game has hair attacks? 😅 But I gotta give it points for originality. If Bayonetta 2 was available on PlayStation I would have played it though, because the first was a good enough time.

Of course my favorite game from Platinum Games Studio (which is the common thread in 3 of the 4 games/series) is actually Nier Automata (and ironically someone else was asking about this game here a few posts earlier) The combat is really fun, has the dynamic sword play mixed with some combos and light range attacks, and is very quick and satisfying. But it’s the storytelling and interesting presentation that puts it over the top for me. One of my favorites this generation.

Edited on by Th3solution

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

Thanks for a very thorough and detailed explanation, you’ve definitely ‘wetted my appetite’ for Bayonetta and Vanquish in particular. I’m gonna slot them in to my schedule in between some other genres once I’ve finally gotten around to finishing the older God of War series. I’m kinda hoping that the GoW games will ‘sharpen’ my skills a little as from what I’ve read the platinum journeys on the DMC series, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are very difficult. If I’m anything though, it’s persistent... so I’ll give them the old college try either way.

Edit. I’ve also picked up Dante’s Inferno which I’ve heard is pretty much a older GoW clone, so I’ll have to find time for that at some point too.

Also, I absolutely loved Nier: Automata! I kinda had withdrawals after finishing it as I struggled to find anything that could satiate my action gameplay needs after getting in that flow. Obviously the story, OST and just all around artistry was on a whole another level too... but that gameplay was so good. If these other games we have been discussing ‘scratch that Nier itch’ I’ll be a happy man. Of course, Nier: Replicant is also releasing next year, so hopefully although it’s being made by a completely different developer doesn’t mean that it will be too different in quality. Hopefully Taro is still directing.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Oh, I’d forgotten about Dante’s Inferno — yes, absolutely that one has to be the closest game to the older God of War games. Yup, pretty much considered a clone. Nevertheless the quality is high. The setting and [extremely loose] adaptation of Dante’s Divine Comedy is a fascinating setting for a game, actually, and that’s one of the things that attracted me. I’d like to see more games based on classic literature. It’s worth a play for anyone who enjoys the older GoW games for the gameplay piece.

Absolutely agree on NieR Automata! It’s one of the few games that I still listen to some of the musical score just for kicks now and then. And the combat and movement is so smooth; I’ve often described the way 2B moves and fights as ‘balletic’ and it was a game that made it tough to play anything else after you finish it. It’s one of those that you just sit there in awe after the credits roll in the very unique and fascinating way that they do slack-jawed basking in the glow of what you just experienced. I didn’t feel that kind of impact when a game completed again until Death Stranding, and maybe also Red Dead Redemption 2.

Edited on by Th3solution

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

Yeah it really was something special. It’s a shame that it just doesn’t appeal to the masses for whatever reason though. I have a few mates who I consider above the ‘filthy casual’ gamer (I have loads who will never ascend from that CoD and FIFA trough though... 😜) but I can not find the right words to pique their curiosity enough for them to even try it, no matter how hard I try.

I really need to give Red Dead Redemption 2 another try. I think I may have been suffering a bit of open-world burnout at the time... as I loved the original and just all Rockstar games in general. I did try to ride it out and get with the program but it just wasn’t clicking. I’m obviously not saying it’s bad, I could tell it was a masterpiece on a number of levels but it just didn’t give me the itch to play it.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore You’re really correct about RDR2, in that it does depend upon having the right mindset and mood. It’s a game that has to percolate through your gaming psyche to really hit that enjoyment factor. The open world is simply the best one that I’ve ever experienced though. It’s absolutely amazing in the detail and care that went into it. I’m not a GTA fan, so I’ve no idea how well fleshed out the world is there, but some of the world simulation in RDR2 is just flabbergasting that it can be accomplished on PS4 and look so pretty and still run so smoothly. The accuracy of living in the world is too much for some people — having to eat to keep your weight up, shave and get a haircut, etc. But when you accidentally run over a sheep on the road in a random town and go back days later to see the decaying corpse there, then a couple weeks later to see the animal’s skeleton there ...in the exact place you killed it... it’s mind-boggling what Rockstar accomplished here.

And to wrap the whole package in the excellent story telling and character development is the icing on the cake. The ending does not disappoint.

The only complaints I really had were the awkward controls (which I got used to and actually grew to understand the slow methodical movements being intentional to fit the accuracy of the world), and the length of the game. It’s such a huge game and it does feel like it drags a little, partially because it’s easy to go off hunting, fishing, robbing, exploring, chasing side quests, etc... and before you know it you’ve spent 80 hours and the story still isn’t close to being wrapped up. So you have to accept it for what it is — a game that you just ‘mosey’ along through at your own pace and enjoy the ride. Which is hard to do when we all have ginormous backlogs taunting us. So while I was playing RDR2 I got a little impatient toward the latter sections, just wondering when the game was going to wrap things up. And in retrospect I think I did the game a bit of a disservice by getting antsy to finish it. Even with that, the ending is spectacular and sufficiently impactful and well worth the journey to get there. Definitely recommend giving it a go again.

How far did you make it, do you remember? The first section is a bit of a slog in the mountains and snow and the game really hits its stride a dozen or so hours later.

Edited on by Th3solution

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic