Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 2,111

HallowMoonshadow

Me and Crimsontadpoles had a conversation with johnnyshoulder about Crash Team Racing about two or three weeks ago ago @KratosMD

The story mode is fairly decent in length, especially to 100% it. Even more so if you go for the classic style where you can't change characters/classes whenever ya want.

Not to mention there's also 40+ tracks either for single races or the Cups. There's also time trials, ring rally, battle mode, crystal challenges. There's a meaty amount of content you can enjoy without playing online.

Only thing is if you want say... Spyro as a character you're gonna have to wait til he rotates into the Pit Stop store til you can buy him with the wumpa coins you earn from races (You have to be connected to the internet at least to get those)

The only reason I stopped playing was I got burnt out on trying to do the grand prix stuff when that was all going on. Since that's all over now though you can go at it at a very lesuirely pace, get what ya like though there'll be a LOT of stuff to go through thanks to all the added content.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Bentleyma

@KratosMD Sonic Forces is decent. I'd say if you're a completionest then it's worth £20. If you're just going to play the story and be done with it then you might want to wait until it's cheaper, as the game can be beaten in an afternoon.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

crimsontadpoles

@KratosMD It's fun as a single player game. Like Foxy says, there's plenty of content. There's 40 or so tracks, and various modes such as time trials, relic runs (similar to time trials but with crates that pause the clock), and the CTR challenge where you have to win the race while also finding the C, T and R tokens.

My main issue with the game was with how things are unlocked. When playing purely single player, it can be a bit tedious to earn enough wumpa coins to buy extra characters, character skins, and cosmetic vehicle parts. Getting enough coins is more bearable in multiplayer.

But overall, it's a good game with lots of content.

Thrillho

@KratosMD I only played the original CTR and, as other have said, the “campaign” is good fun with plenty of modes to focus on. Getting all relics, crystals etc on the tracks leaves you with plenty to do.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I'll definitely second what @Bentleyma- says about Sonic Forces. That's a very fair assessment of a game which is tons of fun while it lasts; it just doesn't last very long, s'all. People tend to forget that it was a budget title anyway, but I certainly got my launch money's worth replaying its levels several times over the years. It's got a killer soundtrack, as well.

That price is fair enough, but if you can reduce it by a fiver you'll feel even better.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

banacheck

Hollow Knight VoidHeart Edition without a doubt one of the best Indies this generation, it's a challenging action-adventure Metroidvania style of game. Brilliant but simple combat with amazingly challenging platforming in a certain section of the game, the has quite a bit of depth to it which the game doesn't tell you. And has a lot of content, I brought it both on the PS4 Pro & XboxOne X. Blasphemous another one of these style of game's, based on what I've played so far it's really good and who recommend it. Streets of Rage 4 highly recommend amazing art style & music, with amazing gameplay that has a added depth to it risk & reward move sets. You can do big amount of damage with certain move sets but it'll drain your health, by using normal move's you can gain the lost health back. But if you take any damage once you'll lose all the health you used with the special move sets, think Bloodborne.Void Bastards would also recommend it's a FPS with lots of different types of weapons & gadgets you can upgrade, you go from space ship to ship collecting need materials for survival food, fuel, and materials to upgrade weapons etc. Facing off against different aliens with different abilities, it's not a mindless shooter you have to use your weapons & gadgets to kill the aliens, you only get one life if you die you'll get a new character. It's a real good game, and different to other FPS.

banacheck

Thrillho

@banacheck I’m glad to see another Hollow Knight fan on here! One of my favourite games of the last few years.

Thrillho

banacheck

@Thrillho

Yes it is a brilliant game, I am hoping they port SilkSong I think it's called to either PS4 or PS5.

banacheck

Black_Swordsman

Would anyone recommend Metal Gear: Survive? I have played a couple of games in the main series, and didn't really care for them. Perhaps this is a different kettle of fish?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Not to give anybody any homework, but I recently had a good discussion with @ralphdibny about that very game, over in the MGSV topic. You can wade through our essays on the penultimate page there (be warned, we're Metal Gear fans) but, failing that, this post should get their attention whenever they're next passing through the forums.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger @Draco_V_Ecliptic haha homework, I've nearly finished survive, just got a little bit of grinding to do before the final boss (haven't played it in about a week and got back into my X files re watch)

I can't really be of much help though, the game is similar in a lot of ways but also different in a lot of ways lol. Kind of a survival, looting, crafting type game but with MGS style of play. There's more of a focus on melee weapons at first than mgs has. Also there is not as much of a story, I'm only really playing it out of curiosity as it is part of a more general mgs playthrough!

@KratosMD crash team racing is like crack but as others have said, it's a massive grind offline and also still a grind online tbh. I played it for about 6 months non stop because I wanted to unlock everything and somehow got ridiculously good at it (I'm not normally good enough in competitive games). I loved the game, I was compelled to push through the grind for the unlockables. The amount to unlock is comparable to mario kart Wii (which is my favourite MK, and CTR is just as good a game, if not better once you've got a handle of the controls)

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

banacheck

thiz wrote:

How is Ni No Kuni Remastered, does it hold up? I played a little bit of the second one and really liked it.

Ni No Kuni definitely holds up today, but the combat system is different to Ni No Kuni 2 it's more turned based combat. And instead of the little coloured guys you get familiars I think they are called that you take into combat with you. If you liked Ni No Kuni 2 & like turned based combat you'll Ni No Kuni. I brought the remastered on sale, which I'll play at a later date because like Ni No Kuni 2 you can spend upto 100 hours playing it.

banacheck

Black_Swordsman

Would anyone recommend Conan Exiles? I saw a bad review of it on Youtube, but the footage of the game looked quite good, despite what people said - enlisting your own thralls, building your own fortress and dungeon-crawling all look like great fun to me. Plus you can craft your own weapons and armor. So, to those of you who've played it and loved/hated it, what would you say the ups and downs are?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@thiz By the way, there’s no point playing KH3 without playing at least the first two, you’ll understand literally nothing. The plot’s insane but without playing the earlier ones, the 3rd game would seem like a madman’s ramblings.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@thiz I’d still recommend the KH collection on PS4, the first two games are much better than the third anyway!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@thiz I guess you’re not a PS Plus member? Uncharted 4 and OnRush have been offered for “free” (if you can call it that since there is a fee to be a member) within the last year or so. Both are good games imo, but I liked all the Uncharteds, so I’m not sure how you’d feel about UC4 since it’s basically an evolution of the same formula. It does look great and run well, like a Naughty Dog game does. And the writing it always top notch. Gameplay is more varied than the early games, but still based on the same third person cover shooting; just now a sprinkling of stealth and more verticality of the set pieces. Well worth $10 though as far as I’m concerned, but your mileage may vary.
OnRush is more polarizing, some love it and some really dislike it. The gameplay is not standard “racing to be the first across the finish line.” Definitely a unique take on the racing genre and I liked it for the fresh take. It’s base price looks like is $25, which is maybe a little much so I’d wait until a sale — it does look like it occasionally has a drop in price, and was $5 just a month ago. I don’t remember that but this is according to psprices.com which is a great resource to tell you the current sale prices and the history of what the lowest prices have been on any given game on the PSN. According to the graph for OnRush it’s been on sale for a deep price cut twice in the last few months (was briefly $2.50 back in May!)
But the games you listed look like they’d be great to nab — Death Stranding is one of my all-time favorites and I haven’t finished Persona 5 but it’s a ton of content to keep you occupied and a “can’t miss” if you’re a fan of the genre.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@thiz Fair enough. It’s all good. I struggle with the concept too. Part of me likes to own the things I cherish most. Therefore I have kept my physical copy of Uncharted 4, even though I now have access to it through Plus. Same with movies. I have digital streaming access to thousands of movies through the services I’m on (Netflix, Disney+, etc.) but I still buy a hard copy of those that I love the most. It is a nice way test out games / shows you’re unsure of though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

sorteddan

@nessisonett

I very much agree with your point. A friend gave me his copy of KH3 (a friend who had played previous entries - whereas I was totally new to it)
I had NO CLUE what the plot was about. Tons of jrpg types and interrelated stories and a bunch of Disney stuff I'm frankly too old to care about. Engine was acceptable and gameplay easy enough but unless you are a fan of the series it's probably best to go for previous entries first.

Anyhow. Main reason I visited this thread is am looking to pick up either god of war or Nier automata in near future. Heard good things about both. Any advice as to which to go for first? Ideally from players who've had both

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@Sorteddan Since no one has chimed in yet, I’ll give you some opinion on NieR Automata — one of my favorites this generation. I think I have it listed as my personal #4 in the “Top 5” thread. Unfortunately I haven’t played God of War yet. I have it ready to play soon, I hope.

Both games are certainly excellent choices. Strangely, Nier is going to be the more expensive of the two, if cost is a factor. And I say that’s strange because it’s actually the older of the two games and also the less “accomplished” from a critical acclaim standpoint. But by virtue of GoW being a greatest hits, the most you’d have to pay is $20 for digital or new physical copy. NieR is still $40 on the PSN store.

NieR is probably more of a niche game. It has very engaging action combat. A slightly complex ‘hack -n- slash’ in the vein of a Devil May Cry. Quick and flashy moves with sword and companion robot pod turret fire with deft, almost balletic movement of your character. And while the combat is quite well developed along with light RPG type progression, it’s really the story that makes it special. But not in the same way that a game like The Last of Us or Red Dead Redemption has a strong story, The narrative in NieR Automata is great for it’s unconventional telling and quirkiness. It’s definitely got a Japanese flair to it, and you can feel the Square Enix echoes within. But this is vintage Yoko Taro — a man who’s oddity stretches far beyond any cultural peculiarities. His brain is in a whole other world. So the strange and unique manner in which the tale is told, over several playthroughs with multiple endings, is not for everyone. Because the real impact of the game, in my opinion, is only manifest when you make it all the way to the true ending. It’s hard to explain without spoiling it for you, so I’ll leave it at that. But if you’re the kind of player who likes a little narrative diversity, light philosophy, and slight analytics and depth to your storytelling, then you’ll quite like NieR Automata. Or if you like experiencing something new and different, and unlike any other game you’ve played before, then it’s one of the more daring games I’ve played this generation.

However I think if you rather try something safe, with an established franchise and well known protagonist, God of War is probably more of a guarantee to please the average gamer. I hear that it does innovate somewhat also, certainly it’s a reinvention of the franchise, but in the end I believe it’s a story that is more or less a linear affair with traditional beginning and an end. I am anxious to see this single shot camera work that they were all in a fuss about when it came out. It’s surely a spectacularly polished and well developed game that I know I’ll enjoy if I can just get around to it. But I wonder if I’ll still be pondering the game 2 years after playing it like I do about NieR Automata. Few games have done that to me.

I do see that you struggled to find enjoyment in Kingdom Hearts and, although I haven’t played those games I’m pretty sure KH narrative is just a plain mess, whereas in NieR there is a method to the madness. However, if having to concentrate through the story to put the pieces together is a turn-off, then maybe go with GoW for it’s more traditional ‘Hollywood style’ storytelling experience.

Edited on by Th3solution

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic