Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 2,111

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz Most maps you should be able to filter what icons appear on the map. I used to be the same, and get overwhelmed if there were too much going on in the map early on. I think I just got used to it however.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Tjuz Skyrim’s one of my favourite examples of a good map. The icons only appear when you discover them, meaning you start with a bare map and by the end you feel like Marco Polo.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@Tjuz I hear what you’re saying about maps being too big too quick sometimes.
I thought Spider-Man was a really nice sized map. It had tons of icons, but getting from one end of Manhattan to the other didn’t feel too onerous, and there was still an large feel to the area.

And I see what you mean about RDR2, the map is huge but it’s a self-driven journey getting around at your own pace. I don’t actually know of any games quite like it where you are just going from point A to point B and you meet strangers, open up side quests, help citizens, or hunt animals, etc - all at your own whim without chasing icons.

So feel free to completely ignore this huge wall of text, and likely you’ve played all these games already, but other games that come to mind that have reasonable open maps are MGSV: The Phantom Pain, Assassin’s Creed Origins, Gravity Rush 2, and Uncharted Lost Legacy.
MGSV has smaller and more manageable open areas. Still very “sandbox-y”
but focused at the same time. Many people dislike the helicoptering in and the fragmented nature of the missions, but if you don’t like getting too many tasks and icons thrown at you at once, this is worth a try. For me it’s probably my second favorite MGS game.
Gravity Rush 2 has a pretty immense open world and it is a lot to take in, but it is fragmented spatially, and if I remember right there are not a ton of icons. Some events just unlock as you travel from one area to another. And much like Spider-Man the travel from point A to point B is pretty fun, manipulating gravity to fly around. (Disclaimer: I never actually finished GR2, but not because I disliked it. I got sidetracked about half-way and haven’t made it back)
Uncharted LL has mostly linear story driven play but openish hubs, without a litany of icons and overt side-quest tracking. More natural feel to the exploration. It’s definitely bite-sized and not true open world a la RDR2, but scratches the itch you’re mentioning, I think.
Finally, AC: Origins. I’m in the midst of this game and it’s rather large. I’m not sure I’ll finish, and it is sort of an icon-fest like Witcher 3, but the map does gradually show up as you explore, not all at once. I didn’t care for W3 for some of the reasons you state, but ACO has been pretty fun and unlocks a little more naturally while you mess around Egypt exploring and doing side activities.
But yeah, I don’t think there’s an open world game that’s crafted so exquisitely and cleverly as RDR2.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

tommyjr89

I know it's a few years old now but, anyone got any thoughts on Dragon Age Inquisition?
Is it a worth a go or should it be avoided completely?
This is someone who has always thoroughly enjoyed Medieval Fantasy RPGs btw.

tommyjr89

RogerRoger

@tommyjr89 As somebody who generally hates fantasy, I'd recommend it. Played it for the first time last year, right after the previous two games in the series, and therefore feared burnout but instead had a blast. It's huge, detailed, epic and absorbing, with plenty to keep you busy and varied characters who'll keep you hooked for the duration. I'd suggest playing the previous two Dragon Age games (and their DLCs) to get the full picture, but Inquisition would work well enough as a standalone, I'd guess.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ZeroOverOne

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I know it’s a pretty weird inquiry but would anyone recommend a good and relaxing dynamic rain theme for ps4 with rain sound (Preferably a high quality one)? Doesn’t matter if I have to pay for it or not. Thanks a lot

Edited on by ZeroOverOne

ZeroOverOne

tommyjr89

@RogerRoger I've played Origins, loved it even though I've never finished it. Didn't play DA 2.

If by any chance you've played Witcher 3 how does it compare?

tommyjr89

RogerRoger

@tommyjr89 Alas, I haven't played The Witcher III, sorry. I've heard some folks prefer one, others the other. Both are vast games, but I think Inquisition remains the shorter of the two, even with 80+ hours of story to get through (more if you stop and smell the roses).

If you loved Origins, then I think you'll equally love Inquisition.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@tommyjr89 Witcher 3 is the vastly superior game on every level. If you have not played and your into that type of game, go play it!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

tommyjr89

For any wrestling fans who have played WWE 2K20, has the game improved at all since initial release?
Been put off by such bad press since the reviews came out but I'm just curious if the game is in any better state now and if it's worth getting or if I'm better off picking up 2K19?

tommyjr89

ZeroOverOne

@tommyjr89 No, the game is still a buggy crap and patches and updates make it even worse, glitch jets game I’ve ever played

ZeroOverOne

Davehunt

Hi guys I was wondering and ye i've seen the top 10 lists etc of "top 10 SP games" curious about your opinions what are your top 10 Single player story telling games with good characters with a good story to tell so games where u can love the characters etc. Like Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Kratos, Nathan Drake. Also who would you say are the upcoming characters People will love and there story.

Davehunt

RogerRoger

@Davehunt I reckon Aloy will become a true classic if the inevitable Horizon sequel manages to keep her sparky, slightly snarky personality intact; right now, she's difficult to judge on the strength of a single game, but its DLC moved her in the right direction.

As for what's currently out there right now, I'd say you've listed a lot of people's favourite protagonists from single player, story-driven games. Anything starring a Snake (doesn't have to be Solid; could also be Naked or Venom) is a guaranteed good time. Lara's reboot trilogy is consistently excellent throughout, and you get a great amount of popcorn fun from any Uncharted game, too. There's also the Arkham trilogy with Batman and his extended Bat Family to control. It's interesting that they're all part of long-running franchises, with multiple games under their belts.

It's different when you craft the protagonist, in something like a BioWare RPG, because everybody's experience will be slightly different after each dialogue tree, but that can make you love them even more than a scripted, fixed set of characters. I'm keen to see what diversity of choice is possible on next generation systems. The possibilities for putting our own stamp on games could be endless.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing a sequel to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order as I really connected with its lead, Cal Kestis, and his mentor Cere Junda. That's gonna be a lot of fun.

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@Davehunt I think the three best video game stories I've played are the original Mass Effect trilogy, BioShock Infinite and Red Dead Redemption 2. On the more indie side, Oxenfree and Firewatch are fantastic shorter experiences as well. Not to mention incredible stuff like Detroit Become Human, Life is Strange 2, The Walking Dead: Season 1 & 4... As for upcoming, I'm keeping a close eye on Tell Me Why and The Forgotten City for storytelling. The former is Dontnod's next game, and (one of?) the first with a transgender character in the lead. About two siblings revisiting their past, and you getting to change it based on your decisions. Sounds amazing already. The Forgotten City is a full video game adaptation of a Skyrim mod where you constantly loop over the same final hours of a ruined city to try and stop catastrophe. Basically sounds like the Outer Wilds if it was more story-driven!

Tjuz

Davehunt

Not sure what Game to play next because got a few months of Lockdown atm so curious what game to play 1st what would u guys suggest? Also what did u enjoy the most thanks for any opinions options are.
Sekiro
Resident 2
Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order
Horizon Zero Dawn
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Batman: Arkham Knight
Batman : Arkham Asylum
Bloodborne
Titanfall 2
GTA 5
Shadow of the Colossus
Remant from the Ashes
Darksiders 3
Outlast 2
Sniper 4

Davehunt

Thrillho

@Davehunt I guess it depends what you're after. Horizon Zero Dawn is a great game with good combat, exploration, and story.

Arkham Asylum is good fun too and I much preferred it to City (I've not played Knight or Origins).

Bloodborne is a classic too if you like the Souls games. I think I actually prefer it to the Souls games as it puts more focus on aggressive combat rather than relying on a shield so much.

GTA5 is good fun if you haven't played it. I finished the story on PS3 and then replayed it on PS4 completely first person (other than driving as races were way too hard in first person).

Those are the ones I've played but still some great games on that list!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Davehunt That's quite the list!

My personal picks from it would be Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (enjoyable cinematic planet-hopping adventure with meaty combat, doesn't outstay its welcome), Horizon: Zero Dawn (truly a game which exemplifies the brilliance of being a PS4 exclusive) and Batman: Arkham Asylum (one of the most atmospheric games of all time; play it before Arkham Knight to get the full picture).

But whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a blast. They're all major headliners!

Making It So Since 1987

Davehunt

Cheers for the replies guys was actually thinking of playing Star Wars Jedi : Fallen order 1st actually. Then was thinking Days Gone.

Davehunt

JohnnyShoulder

@Davehunt Start with Arkham Asylum as that is the earliest title. A lot of games take influence from it too and some even improve on some of the gameplay elements. So by playing some of those later titles before AA it may mar your experience.

WanderingBullet

Has anyone bought One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4? Thinking of getting this at some point (most likely when the price drops). Don't usually buy musou games but I think this game looks quite fun, good and polished.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic