Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,644

andreoni79

@KratosMD Being an Arkane Studios game, you are free to complete every mission as you prefer.
You can upgrade your character focusing on "human" skills (combat, hacking, crafting...) and on "alien" skills (telekinesis, elemental powers, mimicking...). There are trophies for beating the game with only human skills or only alien skills, which means beating it with two very different approaches.
https://youtu.be/0QCR6nOPOLc

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

Man that reminds me, i have Prey and still not started it. The shame. 😶

@KratosMD Out of the two games you mentioned, I say Dues Ex was the more fun game to play. Dragon Age got bogged down with the side quests being lame and too much stuff felt like a chore to do. Others really enjoyed it though, I did not.

The Outer Worlds is the bomb though. If you wanna fun sci-fi dialogue heavy consequence based RPG, then that is the game you need to play.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KratosMD

@andreoni79 The game reminds me a lot of BioShock based on that gameplay footage, interesting! Will definitely have to check it out soon, thanks!

@JohnnyShoulder Another reason why I brought up those two games is because they are incredibly cheap right now, €10 each, which is a very good price for the amount of playtime offered. Do you think it's worth it to buy both Deus Ex and Dragon Age at that price?

And yeah, I'll definitely check out The Outer Worlds eventually!

KratosMD

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah for those prices you can't go wrong really. Deus Ex is the shorter game and Dragon's Age is more open world, so there is more content. It just whether you can put up with the slog that some of the stuff feels like.

I was thinking last night, as i was playing The Outer Worlds, I was defo getting a bit of a Mass Effect vibe, especially with some of the choices you make.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

KratosMD

@JohnnyShoulder Nice, I'm probably going to buy Dragon Age first because of the amount of content and then Deus Ex next. Thanks!

Sounds interesting regarding The Outer Worlds. However, I remember reading that the game is receiving story DLC down the line so I'll probably just wait for a GOTY edition at this point.

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I don't wanna keep typing the words "Star Wars" (and it likely won't drop in price for a while) but your criteria are mostly fulfilled by Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. You are in a spaceship, you go to different planets and there are aliens, friendly and otherwise. It has fun real-time gameplay and by nature of its franchise, there is indeed an epic story to see through (with strong connections to the films, if not other games).

The only place it'd fall down is in the dialogue department. You will occasionally get the choice between two responses, but it doesn't affect much, if anything. There is a Skill Tree, so it's kinda RPG-lite, but there's nothing on the scale of a BioWare game.

One to consider when a similar mood strikes you in future, perhaps.

The other games you've been recommended are likely better fits for you at the moment, however. Dragon Age is a steal at the price you've found. I thought that its fantasy setting would be a huge turn-off for me, coming fresh from the space battles and laser cannons of Mass Effect, but I got absorbed by its storyline and characters all the same.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KratosMD

@RogerRoger Fallen Order is definitely a game I want to check out, but like you said it probably won't drop in price anytime soon. But as soon as it does, I'm absolutely getting the game. I really want to play a good Star Wars game and the one I've played (The Force Unleashed) wasn't that good.

Yeah I think I'll like Inquisition the most just because it feels a lot like Mass Effect in terms of characters, dialogue options and so on. I usually want to play a series from the first game but I think I'll just skip ahead to Inquisition because Origins doesn't look as appealing to me as that one.

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Origins is great if you're determined to play the entire trilogy, and want to experience the set-up of the world and characters, but it has aged the worst and has a fair few moments that basically, nowadays, feel like a slog. I would strongly recommend playing Dragon Age II before Inquisition, however, although if you don't have access to a PS3 then I'm sure the latter game would set you up with a default backstory. Just be prepared to do a little bit of Google searching and / or dismissive shrugging at moments which are clearly callbacks.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I apologize for saying some of this again, but since @KratosMD is considering the series it bears repeating — I played Inquisition without having played DA2 and I felt it was fine, but you’re right, I did a lot of shrugging and just going on without a full understanding of some of the characters and world. The few characters that return from previous games were all new to me, so I had no emotional investment in them. Perhaps that’s why I never finished it. I’ve always attributed my running out of steam for the game to its somewhat long-windedness, large number of diversionary side activities and areas to explore that bogged me down, and the relatively cumbersome constant menu checking and shuffling around of equipment for my party. I think I burned myself out by not being more focused in my playthrough. I explored every map fully and constantly focused on my equipment and I think this led to my undoing. In my wandering about, I eventually ran into a dragon that I couldn’t defeat despite shuffling multiple parties and using various tactics and equipment and I grew frustrated; I think that was the final straw for my losing interest (despite the fact that there were tons of open quests and areas I could have gone to level up and come back to that stupid dragon, which was a completely optional boss in the first place and separate from the main story). But perhaps if I had a little more investment in the characters and seeing the lore of the world play out, then I would have pushed through.
I played the first few hours of DA: Origins and never really clicked with it, so Inquisition was definitely my first real time in the world. DA : Origins is definitely less refined in the gameplay and combat department, so it may be off-putting for someone new to it. But if you enjoy older games and don’t mind a little jankiness, then you’ll likely be okay.
That all said, I really enjoyed the 50-60 ish hours I spent with Inquisition and have oft felt the need to return to it. I think I said this before as well, but I might have played it a little too close to Skyrim and Dragon’s Dogma too and that could have cause the burn-out (no pun intended) with dragon over-saturation.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

RogerRoger

@Th3solution No apology necessary, it's always worth hearing from the perspective of somebody who more accurately reflects the question in hand. Inquisition is a tricky game to "play right" and I'm grateful I had a friend watching my progress, basically yelling "Get out of the Hinterlands!" every ten minutes because otherwise, like you, my map-clearing OCD would've seen me still wandering that first map to this day. It's great that the fiddly stuff (loadout tweaking, stat-checking, etc.) is there for hardcore RPG fans, but it's much more rewarding for the likes of you and I with a brisk focus on story and the occasional "guess I'll tidy up the quest menu a bit" couple hours to break things up (which so often descends into fleeing from overpowered dragons, yes!).

Using an example @KratosMD and I were recently discussing, I think the Dragon Age games sit in a happy middle ground between Final Fantasy (totally separate storylines and characters every time) and an involved, ongoing storyline like Trials of Cold Steel. Each installment of the trilogy is separate-ish, with a new protagonist and core narrative (crucially featuring a satisfying-enough beginning, middle and end) but the callbacks, references, fan service and recurring characters make it all feel neatly interconnected at the same time.

Bottom line is, there's enough to love in each game for them to be taken standalone, but if you're a lore buff who loves immersion then I'd always play as much of it as possible, in sequence.

Making It So Since 1987

DonJorginho

I actually have Dragon Age Inquisition downloaded on my PS4 and untouched, hmm.....

DonJorginho

KratosMD

@RogerRoger @Th3solution Well then, I think I'll postpone my purchase of Inquisition then. I also don't feel comfortable playing a game with a number two in the title, so I'll just have to play the series from the beginning with Origins.

I mean I get you guys, I've been telling other people that you really need to play the Trails of Cold Steel series from the beginning in order to fully appreciate each game and I can see that with Dragon Age as well. I understand how important world building is from personal experience with ToCS and Mass Effect, so I'm definitely not going to make the mistake of ruining my experience with this series by playing the games in the wrong order.

So while Origins isn't as compelling to me as Inquisition right now, I'm definitely going to play it first whenever I get around to it. But right now, I don't feel like getting into a series like this since it's probably going to feel very overwhelming if I'm not in the right mood (and having just finished ToCSIII, I'm definitely not in the right mood).

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

JohnnyShoulder

Not once when I was playing Inquisition did I think I was missing anything from the previous games. As far as I know the story is pretty much self contained and there are only a few characters that pop up in the previous games. So it would be like oh thats whats his face from the previous game. And then you move on with the rest of the game.

KratosMD

So as I've been playing through Saint's Row IV on PS4, I've been feeling the urge to play more last-gen titles that have been remastered for current-gen systems, for numerous reasons. First, I like playing with DualShock 4 compared to DualShock 3 and the 360 controller. DS3 doesn't have good triggers, and the 360 controller feels too bulky, not to mention I have to constantly change batteries with it. DS4 just feels like the best of both of those controllers, with better triggers and rechargeable battery. Second, these remasters usually come with all DLC content as well as patches so you don't need to download anything once you insert the disc. These versions feel like the "complete" or "definitive" versions of their respective titles, so that aspect definitely appeals to me. Third, I've really become dependent on PS4's Rest mode. I don't need to constantly wait for the system to boot up to the menu, and then I have to start up the game and load my save file. When playing PS4 games, I can just wait a couple of seconds and I'm right where I left off in my game, which is amazing. I've been enjoying 100 hours long RPGs and open world games more because of this feature. On the other hand, neither 360 nor PS3 has this feature and it makes playing games on those systems annoying, especially on 360. I first have to boot it up, wait for it to log me in, start up the game and so on. It's just not optimal.

So to get to the point of my post: I have PS3/360 games that I want to buy again on PS4 because I think I'd be more compelled to play them there than if I played them on the last-gen systems. The ones I want to get are:

• Skyrim (I have the complete edition on 360)
  • L.A. Noire (I have the complete edition on PS3)
  • BioShock Collection (I have vanilla BioShock 1 and 2 on 360, Infinite on PS3, I haven't bought any of the DLCs)
  • Sleeping Dogs (I have the vanilla 360 version, haven't bought any of the DLCs)

So my question is: has anyone played both last and current gen versions of these games and could tell me if they're worth buying again on PS4 for a better experience? I haven't played through these games yet so they are all new to me. That's why I want to choose the best versions in order to have the best possible experiences. For example, I know that Skyrim is a buggy mess on PS3/360 without the patches. Does Skyrim on PS4 include all the patches from the last-gen version right from the get-go?

All of these games are around €20 each on PS4 so I definitely don't mind forking over that amount just to have the best experience. I just want to know, based on the aforementioned three points, if I should just play these games on PS3/360 or get the PS4 version. Keep in mind that, like I said, I'd be more compelled to play these games on PS4. Otherwise I might start them on PS3/360 and just forget about them because it's such a hassle to get through them on last-gen hardware.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

nessisonett

@KratosMD BTW, you can play PS3 with a Dualshock 4. I do prefer the controller and can never bloody find a charger for it so if I’m playing old Gran Turismo or last gen games I’ll reach for the DS4 before the DS3.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

KratosMD

@nessisonett Yeah I know, but not all PS3 games work with DS4. BioShock Infinite works fine, but L.A. Noire doesn't fully work with DS4 since apparently you can't drive a car with that controller according to an IGN guide.

KratosMD

nessisonett

@KratosMD I forgot about that, yeah. Some games I don’t even understand why, like the old Tiger Woods games. I can’t even play an actual good golf game since they royally screwed up the franchise.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Thrillho

@KratosMD From that list, I played Bioshock Infinite on PS3 and the Collection on PS4. A part from looking a tad prettier, I can’t say it was a wildly different experience but the Burial at Sea DLC is fantastic.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I don't have an answer for you as i tend not to double dip on games. Darks Souls remastered is the exception as I'd never finished it and had played all the other games in the series.

But I totally get where you are coming from. When I bought my ps4 I still had my 360, I hated using it as it felt so sluggish to use compared to my ps4. No wonder some are so keen on backwards compatibility for PS5 lol.

KratosMD

@Thrillho Yeah I feel like the Burial at Sea DLC would be a strong incentive to get the PS4 collection since the money that would go towards it could be used for the collection instead, and I'd get a physical copy of all the games plus DLC as well.

@JohnnyShoulder Exactly, I'm glad that I'm not alone in this. I mean, I really liked the 360 back in the day but as you come to appreciate newer systems, you start to dislike the older ones. That's why this is such a tough question for me, because I have these games on PS3/360 but I don't want to play them on those systems, lol. I just like the PS4 way more and I enjoy playing all my games on there.

KratosMD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic