Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 2,111

DonJorginho

Who's hyped for Kojima Silent Hills for PS5?

Untitled

DonJorginho

DonJorginho

@Ralizah It is coming amigo.

I am ready for this moment in gaming history.

Kojima and Cerny, the dynamic duo.

Untitled

DonJorginho

Octane

The Outer Wilds. I completely ignored this game, maybe because I wasn't interested in The Outer World and the names are so similar, so I subconsciously assumed that it's kinda the same. But I learned it isn't. Any opinions on The Outer Wilds?

Octane

Thrillho

@Octane I've only heard good things about it but I think the core mechanic of time resetting would frustrate me.

Thrillho

Octane

@Thrillho Depends on how it's done I think. I don't want to look too much up because I think I'll like it and I don't want to spoil myself.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD Thanks. Yeah, I love The Witness. The time mechanics can be frustrating in that case, if you killed in the middle of solving a puzzle, but if there's a cool in-game reason for why it's there I'm fine with that. I do like Pikmin too after all.

Octane

Black_Swordsman

Hi guys, would you recommend either Dragon's Dogma or Dragon Age Inquisition? I hear Dogma is Souls-like and Inquisition is similar to Fable, which I loved on the old Xbox, but Dogma looks like it's mostly co-op, do you have the option of going solo? And Inquisition looks like you have to keep pausing the game to do spells, etc., all from Youtube videos. Do you guys have any opinions about which game is more enjoyable overall?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Thrillho

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Dogma is solo but has a unique mechanism where you have a “pawn” follow you around how helps you in battle. You can recruit others from online and send yours off too. They can get more knowledge for enemy types to help you out and I think make them more powerful against them. It’s quite a neat mechanic.

It is a little cult classic though and I only played it as it was a freebie on PS+ on the PS3. The story is a bit nonsense and he voice acting quite hammy. The combat is the best bit and quite unique as you can climb enemies and attack specific parts plus there is a real array of enemies.

I think it’s on sale again now so shouldn’t cost much. I haven’t played the Dragon Age games but they are much bigger BioWare games.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Dragon Age Inquisition is a bit more complex than the fable games and I don't recall having to keep pausing it for combat or spells. It was OK but I never finished because of the dull side missions and the tedious way you have to keep going back to base all of the time.

Dragons Dogam is ace though, once you have unlocked fast travel. I had to turn off the pawn voices off as I found them annoying. Combat is cool, probably not as tight as the SoulsBorne games, but I like that you can clamber over the larger enemies and stab them in the eye. Reminds me more of Minster Hunter World in that respect.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

tommyjr89

Anyone any thoughts on Shenmue III for PS4? Is is worth giving a try?
Never played Shenmue before but the new one has caught my interest.

tommyjr89

JohnnyShoulder

@tommyjr89 Nope, don't bother if you've not played the other games. I thought it was trash.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

phil_j

Have many people tried the back button attachment? What's the general consensus?
I've just completed Horizon ZD, and if I ever have to click L3 to sprint again, I'm going to cry.
So considering the attachment the fix that.

(Hopefully this is okay to go in this thread).

phil_j

Tjuz

@T7Hokage017 I saw you were asking for recommendations in the other thread, so I figured I'd move the discussion here. Since you said you enjoy platforming, fighting and RPG elements, I thought maybe I'd suggest Spider-Man if you haven't already tried it. It has great combat, some light RPG mechanics and webswinging that can resemble platforming at times. If you do the special challenges especially, you'll definitely have to use the webs wisely.

If that's not your kind of thing and you haven't already tried it out on the Switch, I might also recommend The Outer Worlds. It's not the deepest or very best RPG, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it earlier this year. Plenty of RPG elements to play with, and lots of fighting to boot. Really pretty vistas and memorable characters as well, even if it's a bit on the shorter side. I'm not sure how well the Switch port runs, so you might consider getting it on the PS4 instead if it runs somewhat poorly.

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz The Switch version of The Outer Worlds isn't out yet and has been delayed becasue of the coronavirus.

HallowMoonshadow

Seeing as @Tjuz already moved the conversation here thought I might as well reply here too @T7Hokage017

To answer your question I enjoy pretty much every genre that isn't a sports game. Rpg's in particular (western and japanese) but I like pretty much something of everything. Survival horror, platformers, action rpgs, 2D side scrollers...

@Tjuz's suggestion of PS4's Spiderman is a pretty solid suggestion as it's a well put together game with a pretty decent story & combat... especially if you like superheroes and don't mind Sony's open worldy more cinemstic output of games. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

If you haven't played it yet I'd say maybe try Horizon Zero Dawn.

I enjoyed it more then Spiderman for a number of reasons (The story resonated with me more, the combat against the machines is really quite fun with the varied weapons and traps, Aloy is a great protagonist and it has some really lovely vista's and set pieces.)

Again that's if you like the open worldy more cinematic style Sony has going on with it's first party output as of late.

Give us some examples of games you do like @T7Hokage017 and we could probably suggest some games closer to what you might be looking for!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

@KratosMD is one of the biggest and most passionate JRPG fans here... I'm sure he'll point you in the direction of a number of titles @T7Hokage017 that you might like.

There's a few different games I could recommend.

The Digimon Cyber Sleuth games are pretty good.

I've only played the second one but Kratos here played the first around the same as I was playing the second. They came out onto the switch as a double pack a while back too so you could take them on the go.

They're pretty solid games, nothing too ground breaking, maybe a bit low budget and a few uninteresting backgrounds (they were originally made for the vita) but I really quite enjoyed the second game myself.

If you haven't played it I could also suggest Dragon's Crown Pro.

It's a 2D side scrolling beat 'em up made by Vanillaware with RPG elements. It's on PS4 (it was previously on the Vita and PS3) and has some great artwork (bit of fanservice in some of the artwork) and is playable with up to 4 people (Online or Offline) so you could easily play it with your brother (long as he's not too young).

There's only 9 stages (There's an A and B route though for each once you've reached a certain point) so you could find it a bit repetitive and there isn't really much of a narrative.

Final suggestion (For now at least) is Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir which is also done by Vanillaware.

That one is more of an action JRPG though compared to Dragon's Crown (It shares the side scroller like style but is applied a bit different and also has 2D artwork) with 5 different characters, deeper combat and abilities and a very interconnected narrative between the five protagonists.

It's single player compared to Dragon's Crown though and is on PS4 (Along with Vita and the PS3). Though you do have to replay through a lot of similar stages... Not too sure how much of a dealbreaker that might be for you though!

Just a few ideas from what I've played recently and more obscure games that you might not know about!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@T7Hokage017 Have you played any of the Soulsborne games? They’re intimidating at first but I wouldn’t say they’re too hard, they just take a lot of practice, which I personally love.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Tjuz

@JohnnyShoulder It has been delayed thanks to the coronavirus? I had no idea! I just remembered seeing it be talked about ages ago and assumed it had come out. What a weird time to live in. Clearly we all just need to adapt to The Outer Worlds universe and get out of Earth before the planet kills us all eventually.

@T7Hokage017 Glad to hear you've already played Spider-Man! It really is a great game. As for local co-op game, I enjoy a good one to play with my sister as well. The ones we've really enjoyed on the PS4 are Rayman Legends (a must-have for this kind of game), Unravel 2 as well as LittleBigPlanet 3. I'd recommend them all, especially since you're into platformers! You might want to look into A Hat in Time for the Switch as well, which I believe has local co-op. The PS4 version does not currently.

Tjuz

Tjuz

I'll actually jump in and ask for a recommendation for myself as well. Video game maps are something I've been thinking about recently, and how my experience with them can greatly alter my enjoyment of open world games. Like I mentioned a few days ago to RogerRoger, the second I saw the full HZD map all opened up I immediately checked out. Too many icons and places to go for my brain to handle. Take The Witcher 3, it's divided into four areas. That made it feel a bit more manageable despite all the icons on the map, and I eventually made my way to the end of that game. Then what I consider to be the holy grail of maps for my enjoyment, Red Dead Redemption 2. No icons telling me where to go outside of landmarks, and it slowly reveals itself as you explore. You don't get bombarded with information or the size of the map off the bat.

I love the concept of open world games, and I wish I could be less obsessive about exploring everything while playing them. RDR2 is clearly the approach that worked best for me, but I honestly cannot think of any games with maps that would be somewhat similar. Specifically the revealing as you explore is what helps me I think, but the lack of icons is surely a positive as well. Do any of you have an idea of what other games have maps like it that I might enjoy?

Tjuz

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic