Forums

Topic: PlayStation Plus | OT |

Posts 81 to 100 of 751

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 is it? I was hoping 1080 snowboarding or ssx type gameplay.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy yeah me too, although 1080 and SSX are really quite different. I'm not the biggest 1080 fan, I always thought it was a bit dull and preferred Cool Boarders, but it's hard to compare it against Steep as it's been, what, 15 years since I played it.

But Steep is just straight up boring, in my opinion.

And it's miles and miles away from the likes of Tricky and SSX3.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 Well that's disappointing. Xmas is cancelled lol.

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy hey maybe you'll get something out of it that I didn't, people seem to like it. I don't like Rocket Leauge much either so ya know!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy @kyleforrester87 Steep was ok I thought but nothing mind blowing or anything. Not a patch on SSX or Tricky, or at least what I remember them to be like. Don't think I played 1080 or Cool Boarders, they always seemed to be too serious for me way back then.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

Glad your on the forum @JohnnyShoulder off topic but do you need any help with the pro evo 19 plat? I'm trading it in next week so let me know.

NecuVise

Asia gets Steep and The Division so that's a lot better lineup.

NecuVise

Kidfried

Just beat Iconoclasts and Onrush

I got the platinum for Onrush. Like I mentioned earlier, it's one of the best games of the year, which deserves way more attention than it received. Go and play.

It took me some more effort to beat Iconoclasts, but I did it. And I hate to say it, but it's "alright". The game has some cool things for it, but it needs some serious trimming. There are some pretty bad gameplay designs, boss designs and story choices. Had they taken those out it would have been an exponentially better game.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried I got bored with Onrush pretty quickly. Despite the variety of races, it all feels very samey and barebones. It's hard to believe this was a full price retail title when it launched.

Iconoclasts... I have no issue with the gameplay. I thought the crafting system was pretty pointless, though (I stuck with the tweaks I crafted near the beginning of the game and never saw anything that made me consider changing them out), and the intricate plot just sort of... falls apart by the end.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah The end is baffling indeed.

Also, didn't meant to say gameplay in general was bad (because I love Metroidvania's!), but some parts of the game just didn't feel very meaningful to me, gameplay or story wise. Like I said, just needed some serious trimming.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried I think it's a game that had a ton of promise, but only partially realized what it was capable of.

The gameplay itself is pretty basic due to the very linear and story-heavy nature of the experience. It definitely can't live up to games like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Hollow Knight, or SteamWorld Dig. I think part of the appeal of those games is how focused they are on rewarding player agency when it comes to experimentation and exploration. Unfortunately, this game just has nothing worth finding outside of what is made available to you in the main plot.

I really liked the unique setting and complex characters, but several of the characters have disappointing or incomplete arcs, and the story just sort of... ends. Kill the space worm, and, boom, the game ends. What's the point? Your companions either die or abandon you by the end. It'd be like a JRPG where your party of friends, who you have grown to know and love over the course of various hours, end up leaving you high and dry before the final dungeon. It's just not done.

Still really love the visual design in this game, though. It's gorgeous. Almost on par with something like Owlboy in that regard.

Kidfried

Speaking about Plus games, did anybody play Soma? Is it worth playing?

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried I've played SOMA in the past. Depends what you're playing for. As a horror game, it's merely passable. As a science-fiction story, though, it's stellar.

Basically, if you want a dark and thought-provoking story, it's worth playing.

Th3solution

@Kidfried I’m about to try OnRush. I’ll let you know what I think. I’m not a racing aficionado, but this seems very approachable as far as racing skills go. We’ll see.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Let me know indeed!

Also, I'd love to play together with anyone from the forums.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Ralizah That sounds perfect to play over an evening somewhere next week.

Kidfried

Th3solution

I have really got my money’s worth from PS Plus already this year, despite last month being a bit of a bummer. In anticipation of today’s announcement, I was realizing much of the past few weeks I’ve spent with December’s offerings - Papers, please and OnRush.
-OnRush has been such a pleasant surprise. I am liking it much more than I thought I would and after playing the different modes, I don’t miss a standard race mode like many of the game’s critics complained about. I do think the game could benefit from a couple other modes outside of the ‘capture the zone,’ ‘switch,’ ‘hit the gates,’ and ‘boost for points.’ (I can’t remember their real names but that’s what the modes are). Perhaps there was plans to add a mode or two later to spice things up more if the game’s popularity had been better. A Battle Royale mode with vehicles would have fit in perfectly to the games already crash-happy mechanics. The ‘Switch’ mode is a little bit like Battle Royale, but just has focus on team survival rather than individual. But overall, the game has been a great drop in, drop out diversion.
-Papers, please was a little more of a disappointment actually, but decent nonetheless. I had to really force myself to finish one playthrough and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to do a second playthrough where I try to sneak in the underground network of spies. The game unfortunately became a victim of its own attention to detail and after a few hours it ends up feeling like being at work. Which is a testament to its accuracy, but it really does seem a slog, despite each workday being just about 15-30 minutes long. I would recommend people try it for its innovation and unique gameplay, but it’s definitely not for everyone.

It’s rare that I forego my backlog of games I’ve actually purchased and go straight to two Plus games, but these two just tempted me in such a way. I’m curious to see how I feel about this month. Part of me hopes it’s another month like January where it had nothing of interest to add to my backlog, but part of me would like a solid month like December where I can’t wait to try out a couple of them.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution You not seen what next months games are yet?

Untitled

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I think they were announced a couple hours after my post. I’d say it’s a really good month except for Vita got trash and I had just bought a physical copy of Hitman last month when I saw it for cheap. So now I am considering selling it back and recoup some money before it’s value drops. I’m not sure. For Honor might be decent to try on a whim. MGS4 is brilliant, but I’ve played through it twice and don’t use my PS3 really. What do you think about this month’s offerings?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic