Forums

Topic: Playstation 4 Backloggery and most wanted!

Posts 261 to 280 of 672

Ralizah

mookysam wrote:

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Y'know, aside from the music I think I may just loathe this game. According to my Switch I've put 70 hours into this. Do I continue after this massive time investment? I'll have to see, but I've recently realised that life is too short.

Good. Don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy. You don't get points from God/the universe for finishing games you don't like.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Yeah same here, life's too short to carry on playing games which you aren't enjoying.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@Arugula I'll generally finish shorter games that I'm not enjoying so that I can tear them apart online with an easy mind, but I won't waste dozens of hours on something I'm not enjoying. The closest I got to that was Trails in the Sky FC, where I waited pretty much the whole game for it to "get good." Not doing that again. A game either needs to grab me in the first 5 - 10 hours or I'm done.

RogerRoger

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@RogerRoger 😂 Shenmue 1 and 2. Do you think they will be here this time next year!

Yes, that's very likely. I might make it my forum signature.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I was thinking the same about having it in your signature! Jinx!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

mookysam

@Ralizah It's quite rare for me to dislike a game so strongly, but with this I'm not feeling it and likely won't. There's just no point. Moving on to better things.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam I'm amazed you pumped 70 hours into a game you dislike that much. I can't even bring myself to finish Tearaway, and that's, like, an eight hour game.

I put around 120 hours into XC2 myself, but I actually really loved it (field skill irritations aside).

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I don't need to play a game to completion to know that I don't like it. Every game is different, but after a few hours if game is not clicking with me I will move on. Things may improve later, but that is devs fault for not making the game enticing enough to make me continue playing. I have so many other games vying for my attention, life is too short to play games I'm not enjoying just for completions sake.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah I get that games can change the further you get into them, and it's not like I give up after a couple of hours, depending on the game it is usually a lot more. Everygame has its own peaks and troughs. But you have to draw a line somewhere and if I'm not enjoying a game say after 10 - 15 hours I'm not going to continue playing just on the premise that it may or may not get better. And it works the other way too, I've stopped playing games halfway through or near the end if the games becomes not enjoyable. I'm not a professional reviewer or anything so I'm not gaining anything from play through stuff I'm not enjoying.

It's the same with tv series, I know loads of people that stop watching stuff after a few episodes because it's too slow or something. And I'm fine with that, its life, you are not going enjoy everything you play all the way through, but everyone has their different tolerance levels.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

mookysam

@Ralizah I'm surprised too. It's certainly an outlier in terms of hours put in. I guess I kept pushing myself to like it (a mistake in hindsight) because of how much I loved the first Xenoblade Chronicles. Early on it's a time sink; a large amount of time passed simply exploring the first two proper titans. In the later hours of my playtime a lot of what I disliked about it built up and became amplified (my mental health wasn't helping either), and now, after a month away I am not wasting any more of my time on an experience I'm not enjoying.

@KratosMD For me it's not unusual for longer games (especially RPGs) to take a while to get going. If I'd given up on Persona 4 or Final Fantasy X early on I'd have missed out on what became two of my favourite games of all time. Same goes for many others.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

DonJorginho

My Backlog:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier Automata
Batman Arkham Knight
Spiderman DLC (Got all three just haven't played them yet)
Jedi Fallen Order
Control

DonJorginho

RogerRoger

@DonJorginho Some gosh-darn classics in your backlog there. Hope you enjoy!

@KratosMD Whilst I like keeping all my games out on shelving, I do something similar with a checklist I keep on my desktop. All of my games are written in red and when I complete them, I turn them green and then look over the red writing to pick what's next. After a time, if I want to replay something, I'll turn it yellow and then, if it stays yellow for ages and I really wanna replay it, I'll turn it red again. Really helps me keep my "there's not enough time to do everything" anxiety in check.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@KratosMD I do something similar. I have a storage place right next to my gaming set up and another out of sight and I pull one or two from my library at a time as I complete some from the “immediate” backlog. I have something similar on my HDD by use of folders. A “current” folder, a “complete” folder and a “not complete” and a few folders for the backlog games separated by length and genre. It’s nice to just see a few games in the current rotation and not be overwhelmed by the enormity of games to play.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I've just got my games on my dashboard in one line, no folders. I like too see what games i have on my ps4 without having to drill down into my folders all the time. I usually trade or give away my games, so don't need much display space to keep the cases in. The dozen or so I've got are in a small cabinet thing in my lounge.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I was just recently trying to decide which of my completed games to keep. I was in the habit of selling back completed games, but I’m finding most of their value is so poor now that it’s not worth it and I’ve started keeping more lately. It leaves me the option to replay titles and also serves as a nice physical collection to look at (like favorite books on a bookshelf) but it also takes up more space. I probably need to off load some of them and recoup some money and gain a little storage space.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@Th3solution it depends what you buy and when you sell them. Any annual games (fifa, cod, ass Creed) you need to blot them quickly and sell them within 6 months. You will always lose money but you will make 60% of the price you paid back. Obscure Japanese games fare way better. Disgaea 5 held its price for 2 years!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah they don't hold their value for too long these days, I usually have a few so feels like I'm getting something. I have so much credit at CEX I just use it to top it up. Sometimes I just give the games away to friends or family or to a charity shop if there are not worthy much. I never replay games and I don't believe in just keeping stuff around just cos they look nice if they are serving no practical use any more. I will probably go fully digital next gen.

themcnoisy

@DonJorginho don't play it.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@DonJorginho it's scary.