Forums

Topic: Playstation 4 Backloggery and most wanted!

Posts 181 to 200 of 699

themcnoisy

@KratosMD It will be interesting to hear your take on Odin Sphere, I initially loved it but fell into a bit of a mundane routine. Same thing happened with Disgaea 5 and I've had that since launch!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ralizah

Odin Sphere is sort of like Smash... fun but repetitive. Granted, I almost 100% completed the game (my data got erased before I found the last few recipes, screwing me out of the platinum trophy, but I'm satisfied enough with it), so I still very much enjoyed the game, but I don't know if I'd want to play it from start to finish with no games in the interim.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Combat is fast enough that it remains fun. The bigger issue is that you'll run through a lot of the same areas between playthroughs over and over. A lot of the bosses are shared between playthroughs as well.

It's a beautiful game, though. It's an RPG, so I'm a much bigger fan of this than Muramasa (similar to how I vastly prefer NieR: Automata to Bayonetta).

themcnoisy

@KratosMD it's worth a punt. @Ralizah has summarized the game really well. You have a few options with attacks. Your standard attacks, magic and abilities. The gameplay is fine It's more like diablo in as much as you are waiting for your moves to cool down (or charge up) to use them again.

But it does get repetitive. I really should put it back on. I've been having a moan recently about how hard some games are to jump back too. Odin Sphere shouldn't have that issue.

Th3solution

@themcnoisy @Ralizah @KratosMD I haven’t played Odin Sphere but I had considered it from afar, if only because it popped up once on a Push Square top 20 list (top 20 RPG maybe?) but I know very little about it. I do know that I was completely underwhelmed by Muramasa Rebirth. Despite it looking beautiful visually, the whole running through the same areas and backtracking and still getting lost with where I was supposed to go... yeah, it drove me bananas and I quit the game after about 4 hours or so. I guess it’s not considered a straight up Metroidvania, but to me it seemed very reminiscent of that genre and for some reason I just can’t get into those.

And as I self-analyze, I see the irony of my own disdain for the whole “return through areas over and over to get past previously blocked areas after you get the required key or skill” in the sense that I loved Bloodborne and other 3D games which do this to a degree. It just seems different when it’s a 3D experience vs 2D side-scrolling and backtracking over the same screen a dozen times. And it would have been okay if I knew where to go next, but I got stuck fairly early in Muramasa and the gameplay was just not fun enough to pull me through the frustration of trying to figure it out. Anyway, it’s good to hear I probably need to avoid Odin Sphere then.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Whoops, yeah, haven't been in here since the beginning of November!

Previous Backlog:

• Hub Worlds and Free Play in LEGO DC Super-Villains (started but got nowhere near 100%)
  • Hitman 2 (heck yeah, although am still working on all the trophies)
  • Shenmue I & II (nope, sorry Ryo, haven't even unwrapped your case yet)
  • Spyro: Reignited Trilogy (yep, platinumed the first and saw the credits on the sequels)

I also managed to get Just Cause 4 from my previous "upcoming purchases" list and see the main story through to completion on that, too, although I feel like I rushed it and there's DLC incoming for it later, so I'll be back. Nostalgia made me replay From Russia With Love on PS2 a couple weeks ago. Most recently, I got the surprise release of Blood Money and Absolution in the Hitman HD Enhanced Collection (and have already platinumed Blood Money, and am currently halfway through Absolution).

Was also gifted, purchased, downloaded and installed Dragon Age: Origins on my PS3. That'll be a new experience (can't stand fantasy, so wish me luck).

Lastly, limited-time events and new, free content made me return to Star Wars: Battlefront II and Hitman 2 over the holidays; that's a pattern that'll likely continue well into the year. There'll also be DLC for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, LEGO DC Super-Villains and the aforementioned Just Cause 4 distracting me down the line.

Current Backlog:

• Hitman: Absolution HD Enhanced
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Shenmue I & II
  • All outstanding DLC listed above

Upcoming Purchases:

• Team Sonic Racing
  • Dishonoured
  • The Infamous Trilogy
  • Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Nice description of why I should avoid that game lol. Odin Sphere is nothing like that example though. It's hard to describe but here goes; The game is predominantly a 2d beat em up with occasional interjection paths to take (not in the story but within the levels) and a few secrets hidden withing the artwork. There are a number of characters (6?) and you play through their stories in succession. You have to eat to level up your base skills and can cook different fruits, meals or go to a restaurant. You gain experience which go towards unlocking abilities on a Sphere grid of sorts. The spheres on the grid have preconditioned criteria before they will allow you to use exp to unlock them (such as finish x level or find x thing in level). So it's not a typical RPG and it's very linear. The story doesn't change* You visit the areas again with each subsequent character - but the order can be different and interspersed with new areas.

Gremio108

OLD BACKLOG:
Red Dead Redemption II
Okami HD (final third of)
Wasteland 2
Nioh
Yakuza Kiwami
Burly Men At Sea

I put Red Dead on hold over Christmas and finished Okami instead. Burly Men At Sea kind of took care of itself to be honest. Shenmue I and II have since been added to the list. I think I can actually finish Shenmue I tomorrow, platinum and all. Then I'm going to go back and finish Red Dead. I'm not going to rush into Shenmue II, I want to take my time and savour that one.

NEW BACKLOG
Red Dead Redemption II (second half of)
Shenmue I (final couple of hours of)
Shenmue II
Nioh
Wasteland 2
Yakuza Kiwami

UPCOMING PURCHASES
Sekiro
Shenmue III

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

Accidentally wrote 'Burnley Men At Sea' at first. What a game that would be

Th3solution

I’ve been hesitant to post my update because I’ve been so lousy at making progress, but I’ll just start fresh with a new plan. Like they say, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life!”

And I might modify my outline slightly —

Current backlog (aka games I’m working on and plan to finish in the immediate or not too distant future)
-Red Dead Redemption 2
-The Council
-Spider-Man
> >>Vita (because it deserves its own backlog)
-Papers, please
-Trails of Cold Steel I
-Persona 4 Dancing All Night

On Deck (aka games that I anticipate to use as occasional diversions from the main games, ie games that you don’t really “finish” in the traditional sense)
-OnRush
-Tetris Effect
-Soul Calibur 6

Next Planned Purchases
-Code Vein
-Sekiro
-Valkyria Chronicles 4

Games purchased in 2019: 1
Games completed 2019: 0
Platinums in 2019: 0

I reserve the right to completely stray from this plan at any time 😉

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Gremio108 wrote:

Accidentally wrote 'Burnley Men At Sea' at first. What a game that would be

I was about to say "oh yeah, forgot I played that one as well" but then I remembered that he wasn't from Burnley and we were technically on land, so...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@Gremio108 Burnley men at Sea.

Hahaha ha. Nice one.

Jaz007

I’m just gonna restart.
Here’s my current backlog/currently playing.
Playing: Resident Evil 2, KH: Dream Drop Distance (almost finished).
Backlog: RDR2, God of War, Astrobot, Moss, Raw Data, Summer Lesson (playing it again since you play it more than once), Beat Saber, Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight.
Most wanted: KH3, Nekopara Vol 2., Sekriko, and DMC5.

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

My next purchases are most likely to be Spider-Man, Far Cry 5 and Resi Evil 2. But I will probably start Detroit Become Human after RE 7.

I completed Resi Evil 7 and Detroit Become Human.

I bought Far Cry 5 and started it. Totally forgot I mentioned it on here to buy. I also bought Tekken 7 which I have not touched yet.

Far Cry 5 is quite a big game so will most likely keep be busy until Sekiro is out on the 22nd. Unless I get bored of it so will get either Spider-Man or Resident Evil 2 REmake. Or play something from my back log.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

Old

Soul Calibur 6 - finish up the campaign - completed
Astrobot - Complete the campaign - complemented and platted
Puyo Puyo Tetris - get 2 more perfect clears and drop 100,000 puyos (on about 62k atm) - fail as I have Tetris Effect which is better

To buy

Celesete - fail
Ace Combat 7 - fail
(bought a few other games instead)

New

Atari Anthology - get 50% trophy completion
Hitman - Get another 5 trophies
Tetris Effect - finish expert mode

To buy

Celeste

Jaz007

Jaz007 wrote:

I’m just gonna restart.
Here’s my current backlog/currently playing.
Playing: Resident Evil 2, KH: Dream Drop Distance (almost finished).
Backlog: RDR2, God of War, Astrobot, Moss, Raw Data, Summer Lesson (playing it again since you play it more than once), Beat Saber, Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight.
Most wanted: KH3, Nekopara Vol 2., Sekriko, and DMC5.

I finished KH Dream Drop and KH3. So I made some progress
I got a Nekopara Vol. 2 but haven’t played it yet because I’m very annoyed at an audio glitch I found early on.
My backlog is the same. I’ve played a little of a few titles.
I still need to finish Resi 2, so that needs some work.
Ubisoft MP games keep distracting me.

Jaz007

Ralizah

Seems like it's time for an update.

PREVIOUS POST:

Backlog:
1) Hohokum (PSVita) (COMPLETED)
2) Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (PSVita) (COMPLETED)
3) Furi (PS4) (DIDN'T EVEN START)

Purchases
1) Resident Evil 2 (PC) (PURCHASED)
2) Wargroove (Switch) (DIDN'T PURCHASE)
3) Etrian Odyssey Nexus (3DS) (DIDN'T PURCHASE)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Games completed in 2019 so far: 9.

Games purchased in 2019 so far: 4.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

New Backlog:
1) Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (Switch)
2) Okami HD (Switch)
3) Resident Evil 2 (PC)

New Purchases:
1) Wargroove (Switch)
2) Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
3) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch)

Gremio108

@Ralizah Okami HD on Switch - Can you use the motion controls to paint? Because that would be ace

Edited on by Gremio108

Ralizah

@Gremio108 Yep. When docked (or in tabletop mode), you can use gyro controls to paint. In handheld mode, you can directly manipulate the celestial brush at any time via the touch screen (which, in my opinion, is very much the optimal way to play).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic