Forums

Topic: Persona 5

Posts 481 to 500 of 542

KratosMD

@Jaz007 Well keep in mind that I've been playing on 'Safe' all this time, which has enabled me to finish palaces in only one day (except for those that force you to leave and then reenter) since I don't have to worry about SP, and that has saved me a ton of time. I'm also not quite sure but I feel like playing on 'Safe' also gives you more points in your stats whenever you perform an activity, which would have also saved me time.

In any case, playing on the lowest difficulty level as well as already having prior knowledge of the series and utilising the fortune teller affinity system have all contributed heavily to a decent first run I feel like. I wasn't even close to maxing out all the social links in P4G, that's for sure.

It was definitely worth it though, all the confidants in this game are great.

KratosMD

Jaz007

@KratosMD The stats being faster and precious experience must have been it. I could count the number of extra days I had to spend in palaces due to running out of resources on one hand most likely. I almost always only left for story reasons and grinded first.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

KratosMD

Well I just finished Persona 5, and I've got plenty that I want to say about it.

First of all, this is one of the best games that I've ever played, which shouldn't come as a surprise since Persona is my favourite video game series of all time. These games are simply everything that I want in a video game. They touch me at such a deep and emotional level of which I never experience in any other video game. Persona 5 in particular has been incredibly helpful for dealing with my real life issues these past couple of weeks, and for that I'm grateful that I could play it.

However, as a person who played Persona 4 Golden intensively before playing P5, there are simply some things that disappointed me with the sequel. I was hoping that these issues would resolve themselves throughout my playthrough, but they didn't.

So to my second part, the two main gripes I have with this game:

1) The school/vacation trips in P5 are not memorable and are ruined by the fact that the developers wanted to heavily integrate the Phantom Thieves storyline into what are supposed to be breaks from the story. For example, the social studies trip was ruined because they focused too much on Akechi and the whole "are the Phantom Thieves just or not?" instead of them exploring the amusement park and eating pancakes like they were talking about doing afterwards. Same thing when they went to Hawaii, the Fireworks Festival, the School Festival, the version of Disney Land in the game, when they had the Christmas Party (which was ruined by the fact that the protagonist had to turn himself in) and so on. It's like every time they were going to enjoy themselves, they would always get interrupted by the Phantom Thieves storyline.

That would never happen in P4G. In the beginning of the game, you go on a camping trip and tons of hilarious things happen, like Chie and Yukiko ruining their food or Kanji sleeping in the girls' tent. Another example in P4G is when they go to the beach. Fun things are happening here as well, like Kanji losing his swim trunks and goes around naked on the beach while being complete unaware of them being gone. Then we have the trip to that one place from Persona 3 where they play the King's Game and everyone acts all drunk even though there aren't any alcohol in the drinks. Or when they go on a ski trip and get lost during a blizzard. There were just so many exciting things going on during the special events in P4G (I haven't even brought up events like the group date café, beauty pageant or the music performance, which were all amazing events!), while in P5 there weren't a lot of fun events at all and those that were there would constantly be interrupted.

2) A lot of the social links don't feel personal like in P4G because they often focus on other characters rather than the confidants directly. This is due to the fact that the developers wanted to integrate requests into the social links, so they are constantly introducing random characters just to have an excuse to break up the social link progression and force the player to go into Mementos. I just want to hang out with the confidants themselves and get to know them more. I feel like so many confidants were ruined because of this trend, since you'd know that if one of them has a problem, then that would mean the problem is due to another person and you need to change that person's heart.

Once again, P4G wasn't like that at all. The social links were all about the persons themselves and didn't require you to solve their problems in that fashion. The focus was talking with the individuals, getting to know them on a deeper level and thus forming a stronger attachment to those people. I have to admit though that one thing P5 did much better than P4G was integrating all the confidants into the end game cutscenes. That was very well thought out because it felt like they were actually part of the overall story, and not some side characters.

So in conclusion, while I feel like Persona 5 improves upon so many things compared to P4G, the developers went more for bigger, but not necessarily better. If you ruin the things that I like the most about Persona games, i.e. spending time with your friends during trips and interacting with people through social links, then you will get massive negative points from me. Because of these two gripes, I really can't say that I like P5 more than P4G. It felt less personal than P4G and focused too much on the Phantom Thieves storyline and not nearly enough on the members as regular students enjoying their time in high school. As a stand-alone game, it was outstanding. But as a sequel to P4G, it disappointed me in some aspects.

I've already talked about so many things regarding the game, like its soundtrack and characters so I won't be touching upon those again. The story was much better than P4G, like I also mentioned in a previous post. It was definitely more ambitious and had a lot of plot twists. My favourite one was when you found out that Igor was fake all this time and that Caroline and Justine were actually one person. What made this plot twist so freaking awesome was my previous knowledge of Igor from P4G. In that game (and I think in P3 as well), Igor has a more high-pitched voice. But when everyone started playing P5 when it came out last year, we were all so surprised by the fact that the developers changed his voice to be deeper and we thought that it was really weird. But to think that the voice change was actually part of the plot, that's just amazing. They had me fooled all this time. I even said when the real Igor showed up that if his voice were high-pitched, then he would be the real one. And I was right! Such a cool twist, I loved it.

So yeah, this is easily the best game on PS4 and a must-play for anyone who has the system. I'm so glad that I decided to play through this game, I enjoyed every second of it. And it saddens me that I won't be playing it more after today, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing Persona Q2 later on.

Persona for life!

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Th3solution

@KratosMD Very interesting and well thought out remarks about the game. Glad you enjoyed it. It does motivate me to get back to it someday and finish it when I get the time.
So you would rank it as your #1 PS4 game?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KratosMD

@Th3solution Absolutely. I can play a game like this for hours on end without getting bored, if I had the opportunity. I think I played it for 12 hours in total during the second day of playing this game earlier this month. I've not played a game that much in a single day since I was a child, it's just so good. Persona games are so unique and always worth playing through since there aren't many games like them.

At this point I'd even consider playing through it again if a "Persona 5 Golden" version of it is released in the future. I just wish they'd add more fun events because that's what Persona is for me, both a casual and a serious type of game. There are such few casual moments here, it's disheartening. Also, an extra month spent during the postgame section would be nice. The protagonist could go to an optional dungeon or spend some time with the team members. I think content like that was actually added to the Golden version of Persona 4, so I really hope they'll release another version like that. So much can be improved!

KratosMD

Th3solution

@KratosMD Alright, how about this one then — Persona 5 or Breath of the Wild? You can only have one, which would it be?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KratosMD

@Th3solution That's a really hard choice. P5 is all about the story while BotW is all about the gameplay. I've played both games over 100 hours each and loved every moment of them.

Ultimately, I think I'd go with P5 since I would probably get tired of BotW quicker than with P5. It's kinda like how I needed a break from MGSV since it was so gameplay focused. A story can hook me for a longer time than what gameplay can, even if I'm experiencing the same story over and over again.

KratosMD

Jaz007

@KratosMD Awesome read. I'm glad you liked it so much, and like me, consider to be the best PS4 game there is. It's been a lot of fun reading your thoughts on the game as you go through, so I'm almost a little sad it's over lol. And yes, I'd buy on P5: Velvet edition or whatnot in a heartbeat. The suggestions you had for it are excellent.

Edited on by Jaz007

mookysam

@KratosMD Really glad you enjoyed it so much and also that it has helped you these past few weeks.

Persona 5 is outstanding and certainly my favourite game on the PS4. I would like to replay it but don't know whether to wait given Atlus' tendency to release enhanced versions. We might still be a few years out as it took a long time between the original 4 and Golden.

The story is so good and on the whole I found it better than 4. The focus is certainly different as 4 is much more about the characters' friendship. I particularly liked how 5's story relates so much to real world issues and some of the problems with modern society, which really resonated with me. I don't know how much you know about British politics, but we were going through a particularly nasty General Election as I was in the final stages of the game. The game's twists and turns were gery well done. One I saw coming a mile off Akechi being villainous, but not the reasons why[/spoiler], but that late game twist [spoiler]with Igor was really well done. I thought it was strange that he had a new and very different voice!.

Love the main characters in this. I didn't warm to them as immediately as I did in 4, so it was a bit of a slow burner. My favourite was Makoto as you know! One character that really grew on me was Sojiro, and I liked how it all related back to the main story. Sae was great in this regard too. The social links were a highlight as usual for me. I don't remember enough specific details as it's now been a while since I played it, but I do remember needing to go to momentos getting annoying after a while! I can certainly understand your other criticism about the friends going on trips, but I did appreciate the greater focus on the central narrative this time and how tight it was. 4 did have such a great buddy vibe though.

Love the presentation and music. I've just ordered the soundtrack CD from Japan, so hopefully that will be here in a few weeks.

Edited on by mookysam

Thank you NHS

PSN: mookysam

KratosMD

@Jaz007 @mookysam It's also sad for me to stop talking about this game because it's so good. But I'm glad that I could spend this month playing it, share my experiences and receive helpful advice from you guys. You helped me out with a lot of stuff and I'm really grateful. After all, Persona games are a major investment if you want to have the best possible experience.

Doing all the requests, maxing out all confidants and getting the true ending were all worth it. Even doing the Caroline & Justine social link was worth it, even though I was going to completely skip it in the beginning. How that was tied to the story made it all worth it in the end.

KratosMD

mookysam

@KratosMD You're welcome, glad my tips were useful. Well done for maxing out the confidants, that's really impressive on your first playthrough! Agreed on Caroline and Justine. It's a little odd how something that is so strongly related to a major plot point is completely optional.

Thank you NHS

PSN: mookysam

KratosMD

Great video with a lot of fun facts that "Did You Know Gaming?" released the other day:

I had no idea that the main plot had been so radically altered after the 2011 earthquake in Japan, that's really interesting. I'm also bummed to hear that Hifumi was cut from the main cast. Her character is easily more interesting than Haru's and I wished they could've just switched spots. I think that would've made the cast a lot better in my opinion.

Also, Sakurai is a huge fan of Persona 5? Well that explains why he really wanted to include Joker in Smash Ultimate.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

DerMeister

@KratosMD Hifumi is actually one of my favorite confidants, to the point I mildly regret romancing her in my NG+. However, she probably would have been redundant as part of the group, because her role as a strategist is already taken by Makoto.

Haru in my opinion didn't get enough time to develop more as a character. She was introduced pretty late in the game, and despite the development she does get, it's clear she doesn't grow as much as the rest of the cast.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

KratosMD

@DerMeister That's true, but still I feel like Hifumi is the "Yukiko" character of Persona 5, in terms of looks and behaviour. Ann is Rise, Makoto is Naoto and Futaba is pretty much Chie. Haru doesn't really fit in with any of the previous female characters. Even though she didn't get a lot of character development, she still felt more like a confidant to me whenever I hung out with her and doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast at all.

KratosMD

DerMeister

@KratosMD I can see that. If you wanna draw parallels though, Haru is similar to Mitsuru from P3. Rich, classy and formal, Empress arcana, having their dads die, part of antagonistic conglomerates. The main differences is that Haru is less aloof and her battle style is less graceful than Mitsuru. That's probably why I liked her despite the wasted potential of her character. Which is also weird, because I'm supremely iffy of characters taking after other characters unless it's for storytelling reasons.

Edited on by DerMeister

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

KratosMD

@DerMeister Ah I didn't know that, I haven't played Persona 3 yet. But from what I've seen, Mitsuru seems more matured than Haru, which makes those traits more sensical. While for Haru those traits make her hard to like if you ask me.

I really hope in the supposed extended version of P5 that Hifumi will join the crew and that the developers will prolong the game by several months for more character development. Or even an alternate storyline where Akechi somehow survives and joins the Phantom Thieves permanently, because it feels weird that he didn't survive in the end.

Regardless, I think there are many things the developers can improve upon in P5. For example, P4G received tons of additional events with the characters and I would love to see the cast spend more time with each other without having the Phantom Thieves storyline interrupt their free time.

KratosMD

Jaz007

@KratosMD I wouldn't mind Hifumi as a party member, though her role as a confident did make a lot of sense. I also hope they use those months at the end of the game. Honestly, there are so many days that could end less early on just not pass by without you doing anything. Weekends and summer could give you another slot of time. that actually frustrated me with summer, that you had the same amount of time you did with school in session. It felt like less instead of more honestly.
I also want to see all dialogue (excluding texts) voiced, graphics that weren't meant for the PS3 (it's a gorgeous game, but the areas in the world could look better), more party events, and more dates for romances. I was disappointed that Kawakami only had like two social events/dates aside from her confident events as far as I could tell.
I also want to see dialogue options do more. I don't mean Mass Effect, I just want the conversation to react more and less times where they say the same thing back regardless. It would help you be more immersed as the main character and feel like they're truly your friends. I also would like to know when it'll affect what the person thinks of me so I know when I can respond freely without worry.

KratosMD

@Jaz007 I agree with your suggestions, although maybe they'd be more fitting for a brand new Persona game instead of an enhanced version of P5. After all, it would feel like a completely different game if all those changes were made to it.

But yeah I can easily see Atlus adding more stuff to do in a new version of P5. Hopefully more confidants as well, like with Marie in P4G.

KratosMD

themcnoisy

I wasnt the biggest P5 fan at the time, however looking back it was a great experience. I really felt in an anime. Possibly the only game I have felt that other than South Park last gen.

I think the starting characters are pretty boring though and coming shortly from P4 which I absolutely loved was a bit disappointing.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic