Forums

Topic: Persona 5

Posts 201 to 220 of 358

johncalmc

@Throb Nah, important things always take care of themselves. You'll be given set dates you need to take palaces down by, but as long as you do that then the major plot points in the story will always appear on set dates. General rule of thumb is, do the palace ASAP and then you'll be fine.

johncalmc

Twitter:

ztpayne7

@Throb the celebrate your success part will come naturally as part of the main story. For instance, they might say let's go somewhere Friday! And if it's only Monday, you'll have free time until then.

ztpayne7

Feena

I am slowly (relatively) making my way through the game...I am at about 90 hours - just beat the fourth palace and unlocked tons of new stuff.
Loving the story and social simulation aspects but at this point I am starting to feel a bit tired of the combat...and Mementos. I know I could probably skip it but I am a completionist when it comes to JRPGS.

The characters are some of the best in the series: Fox cracks me up ! If the "golden" version of this (on Switch?) gets a female protagonist I totally want to date him. Or just make him datable for the main guy. On that note (kinda): I don't want to go all SJW but don't you feel those "gay dudes" in Shinjuku are kind of offensive/racist, at least for western standards? Is it just me?

Edited on by Feena

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Ralizah

@Feena I think a few sites already complained about the gay guys in their (otherwise glowing) reviews.

It was an attempt at humor that seems to rely on stereotypes about "predatory" gays. Probably ill-advised, but I didn't feel personally violated by it or anything.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

ztpayne7

@Feena just an FYI without trying to be spoilery - I wouldn't skip momentos. I would wait until you have several of those missions and do them at once.

ztpayne7

johncalmc

I thought the gay guys were a bit weird. The game generally handles most things very well, but those gay guys seemed to have strolled in from a different game. They're so ridiculously over the top and such an old fashioned stereotype of gay people, that it felt really odd. Fortunately, it was all over and done with after a couple of minutes. Perhaps the humour was lost in translation or something.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Feena

@johncalmc @Ralizah yeah of course it's not a deal breaker or anything, it was just weird and I got a strong "this could never happen in a contemporary western game" sensation - it's even stranger considering how maturely the game faces other sensible themes.
@ztpayne7 Thanks for the heads up and yeah I am usually waiting till I have 3-4 requests and there's a rainy day so I get rare chests

School trip time btw

Feena

I just ENDURED that point of the game when Atlus thought it was cool to drop 40 minutes (no kidding, I calculated this from the save files times) of exposition to explain a convoluted plan that they clearly believed to be more intelligent than it really is. This is a good game and all but coming from very high expectations and general praise I am disappointed with both the gameplay (very solid...and very trite) AND the story at this point. Persona 3 and 4 never had to work this hard to make sense...and if you have to pause for 40 minutes to explain your story, you aren't probably telling a good one. I am at 135 hours of playtime and will obviously keep on playing till the end, hoping it will win me back.

p.s.
got the Futaba navigation trophy without trying too hard - I was really surprised as I had troubles with the Rise one in P4G.

Edited on by Feena

KratosMD

@Feena I just feel the difference between Persona 4 and 5 is the atmosphere. Now granted I haven't played more of P5 since I played it during its launch week back in April (I played about 15 hours) but its atmosphere just feels much more dark and less cozy to immerse yourself in. While in P4G, even though the story was about murder mysteries, the breaks in between felt so nice and relaxing and was the perfect remedy for me after a long day in university. I wanted to immerse myself in P4, while I felt less inclined to do so in P5. Everything feels much less happy-go-lucky.

But as I said, I haven't played that much of P5 so maybe I haven't experienced these "cozy" moments yet.

'To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly'

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Feena If it's the moment I'm thinking of then I disagree. I thought the reveal was played out excellently. I remember it perfectly on my first playthrough, where I just sat there speechless replaying events of the game in my mind. Add to that the presentation and to me that was played out to perfection.
40 minutes is a long time, but to me that isn't that much of an issue. When I'm playing a Persona game I expect a whole lot of a dialogue (P4G beginning). Souls game, I'm expecting to get cheap killed. Assasin's Creed, I'm expecting to climb a viewpoint. It comes with the territory.

As @KratosMD mentioned it's a change of atmosphere. Unpopular opinion here, but I hated Persona 4 Golden- for the time that I invested that was the worst pay off. Especially as I had just gotten off Persona 3, which is one of my favorite games of all time. Persona 5 is much more in line with Persona 3, which is probably the reason why I love it so much.

Fight_Teza_Fight

Dichotomy

Finally finished the game last night after almost 3 months of playing nothing else. Obviously enjoyed it to dedicate that much time to it, but can't say at the moment if I prefer P5 or P4 as both have strong points over the other - I'll let my brain work on that one over the next few days. Now to wait patiently for P6 (anyone managed to implement cryostasis yet?)

Dichotomy

themcnoisy

5 and a half hours in and loving it. I'm so glad to have put it off after playing p4g earlier this year.

I'm more a cat person than dog person so Magellan or whatever it's called is brilliant.
@Fight_Teza_Fight @KratosMD Kratos you liked the friendships and likeable characters from p4g which I remember you typing the characters became like friends to you. I totally see that! Teza you were running through loads of games in the series if I remember correctly prior to p4g and I don't think p4g is best at the end of a run of long games as the exposition and time to get to know the personalities is a real commitment, why a darker grittier game would be more enjoyable.

P5 is dark and gritty, full of people and horribad ones at that. It reminds me of Liverpool and in many ways P4g was an escape to the country, P5 is like playing on my doorstep.

Forum Multiplat BGoAT coming February 2018
Forums Nintendo BGoAT 2017 - Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy.
Forums Playstation BGoAT 2016 - Uncharted 2, The Last Of Us, Witcher 3.
Forums Multiplat BGoAT 2015 - Final Fantasy 7, Zelda Ocari...

PSN: mc_noisy

KratosMD

@themcnoisy Yeah I mean, the thing that is special about the Persona games is that you spend so much time with these characters that they grow on you. It's not like any other 10 hour game where you don't spend enough time with the characters to actually start loving them. After spending 100 hours with the characters in a Persona game, you'll love each and every one of them by the end of the game. That's why I love these types of JRPGs, where you spend hundreds of hours with unique characters and by the end, it feels like you know these guys in real life. Games that can evoke these strong feelings within me deserve to be called masterpieces, in my opinion, because they're special.

I will eventually play through P5 later in the summer as well and even though I sounded kinda negative about it in the beginning, I think I just need more time with it. 50 hours more and I will probably start to feel the same way about it like I did with P4G. Besides, as somebody mentioned a while back, a new Persona game only comes out once in a blue moon so I'm not in a hurry to finish this one. We might not even get a new Persona game until 2022 at the earliest.

'To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly'

Ralizah

@themcnoisy Morgana.

Glad you're enjoying it. I'm 65 hours in now.

P5 feels utterly contemporary in terms of the themes it explores. I guess I shouldn't be surprised (people will exploit their power to abuse and use others in any society), but it still amazes me how socially relevant this Japanese RPG about anime kids with superpowers is to me as an American in 2017.

Atlus really outdid themselves this time.

themcnoisy

@Ralizah ahhh you've changed your avatar, is that a marshmallow?

Totally agree and a great selection of words, it is contemporary and relevant.

@KratosMD I know this may sound crazy, but playing on the Vita is easier for a persona game, I could stick p4g on in bed or have a quick half hour and leave it on stand bye prior to work. I can't do that with p5. So I've had to commit some time. You then get to know the characters

This week is perfect, my home life is more sedate for the next 2 weeks before a holiday abroad so yeah you need to be in the right frame of mind with time to commit.

Forums Nintendo BGoAT 2017 - Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@themcnoisy Haha I studied in Liverpool so I kind of know where you're coming from. Maybe I shouldn't have played all those games back-to-back, but after coming off P3P I was kind of disappointed by P4G. Everything came to easy. In P3P you had to have max charm and max knowledge for Yukari and Mitsuru to even acknowledge you in school, so when I did finally forge those bonds with those characters they meant something. I also gravitate much more to a darker story so that helped too.

I'm really happy you're enjoying P5. They set the tone real quick. Social outcast looking for a fresh start, but trouble keeps finding you, left to fend for himself in the adult world- it's relatable. That first antagonist left me speechless. How do you start with that!
I'll be interested to find out how you take to the confidants. They are really well written- especially the females . I just couldn't turn them down when the time came...
I spent far too much time in that clinic cough*cough ...

Fight_Teza_Fight

Ralizah

@themcnoisy It's a flower, but everyone seems to think it's a marshmallow.

themcnoisy

So I somehow battled my way through the castle in one long long go, then I've got to send a calling card? Grrrr so frustrating.

Key 🗝 points so far;

The dungeons are way better - but still too long
The fighting is classy - but the winning animation goes on too long, the running level up sequence actually looked amazing the first 10 times. Now I've watched it seemingly a million times.
SP conservation is crazy tough in this first dungeon,stopping experimentation. This will obviously open up later in the game but an oversight considering new players won't know what hell is going on.
The idea of hold ups is great - but the card system from p4g is better.
The sneaking is brilliant.
The thief vision is pointless, they should highlight key locations without the need to hold the trigger, I'm spending 80% of my time with that held down.
The locations look amazing - but sign posted terribly, the faculty office took me twenty minutes to find.
Having an idol character in the team off the bat feels a bit stupid. Rather a more realistic female or two would have been a better option to start.
I loved Morgana until it kept saying how great Joker is, I know I can trust you joker, yeah joker, another one for joker etc etc. It's so annoying!

Focused on the negatives a lot as the story, art design and multiple game systems going on is top drawer.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Ralizah

Geez, I haven't really had too many difficulties so far, but Shadow Okumura is utterly brutal on Hard mode. I've died four times to this same boss so far.

Never struggled this much against a Persona boss on hard mode. This feels like a fight out of Nocturne.

themcnoisy wrote:

SP conservation is crazy tough in this first dungeon,stopping experimentation. This will obviously open up later in the game but an oversight considering new players won't know what hell is going on.

The idea of hold ups is great - but the card system from p4g is better.

I disagree. The game is teaching you the importance of conserving your resources early on. Which becomes more important the further you go into the game, due to how reliant Persona/SMT games are on hitting enemy weaknesses. At least, until you buy enough SP Regen 3 accessories and never have to worry about the issue again.

And I have to strongly disagree that a card game is better than negotiating with Personas. Demon/Persona negotiation is one of the most unique features of the SMT franchise, and they execute it almost perfectly here. I'll be incredibly disappointed if we go back to some silly mini-game instead of actually talking to the enemies in the next Persona game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic