Forums

Topic: Persona 5

Posts 141 to 160 of 358

Ralizah

@themcnoisy So far (in-between the second and third palaces on hard mode), I'd give it a 95/100. Positively superb, almost hypnotic experience. Doesn't have any of the slow portions that P3/P4 did so far. The well-designed, puzzley dungeons are great. Stealth mechanic is basic but does a decent job of livening up dungeon-crawling. And the music is some of the best in the series. My only complaints so far are: the game is too liberal about ripping control out of the player's hands for multiple days in a row without warning (something that is common in P3/P4 as well, but seems more noticeable here), and the options when you Hold Up an enemy aren't perfect (demon negotiation is fantastic, but asking for money seems sort of pointless, considering you get what seems to be an equivalent amount of money for killing them anyway, and more if you're fighting more than one opponent, which is most of the time).

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

Feena

@themcnoisy I am only 25 hours in the game and for now I'd give it a 9.1 - it is the perfect execution of a well tried formula, dripping with style AND substance.
Minor complaint: the calendar based nature of the game (and its largely unchanged, lovely combat system) make the similarities to previous titles stick out more than other sagas - I mean, a school year is a school year, you kind of know what you are getting into when you start it.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

ztpayne7

@Ralizah I've been able to get over 10,000 quite often later in the game with asking them for money. And with the right confidant, you can sometimes say "that's not enough give me more"

ztpayne7

Fight_Teza_Fight

@johncalmc Who needs to study when you can cheat? That's what the PushSquare exam guide is for ;D
The topics are genuinely interesting this time around. I've looked into a few of them, like the history of Goemon and the Gentleman Thief.

@Ralizah The money you get doesn't show up in the final stats page. Just checked it. Asked an enemy for money, got 3.8k, end of the battle got 1.8k, overall balance went up by ~5.6k.

@themcnoisy If I had to score it now, I'd give it 94. I'm nearing the end, so my score could go up or down. I do love a good ending.
I would like to have a little more freedom. Once you're locked into a sequence of events, that's it.
There're also some story inconsistencies. A certain confidants responses doesn't really match his/her social rank in cutscenes for example (easy to just lock progress of social rank for a limited time).
At first I hated that screen effect in Mementos. Took up way too much of the screen, but it doesn't bug me as much anymore.

Enjoying it more than P4G, but it's below P3 for me (which is one my all time favorite games). Could change though, liking where the story is going...

Fight_Teza_Fight

johncalmc

I'm right at the end of the game now. Should finish it tonight. I'm considering immediately restarting it and going for the platinum, but then I've also got a tonne of other games to play so I might move on. What a treat it's been though.

It's hard for me to say whether or not I like it more than Persona 4 Golden, but I think given time it'll wind up my favourite Persona game. It just does so many things so well that I can forgive the few gripes I've got with it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Throb

I really must get back in to this game. I bought it on release, played a few hours and got a bit bored and haven't gone back yet

Can't think of anything good to put here just yet, watch this space...

PSN: Headthrob

ApostateMage

I've just had the horror of getting the bad ending. I was completely shocked because I wasn't expecting it that sudden. Anyway, I've reloaded my save and have played things more wisely now. D'oh!

Super game.

ApostateMage

KratosMD

@ApostateMage I can just imagine how difficult it would be to get this game's good (true) ending without a guide. Considering how picky P4G was if you wanted to get the true ending, I can't really see this game being any different.

Edited on by KratosMD

'To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly'
'They fail to live because they are always preparing to live' - Alan Watts

johncalmc

@Reanfan7 @KratosMD It's not harder. It's way, way easier to get the best ending in Persona 5.

Persona 4 made you jump through a few hoops. You had to pick the right dialogue options in a conversation in which it wasn't clear what the right options were, then point the finger at the correct killer, then continue until the last day, then go round and talk to all level ten social links, then go back and talk to the true culprit without many hints as to who that was, then do the new final dungeon.

In Persona 5 there's a couple of choices to make and it's fairly obvious that one of the options is going to lead to trouble. All you have to do is make a choice, and if you get a bad ending, reload and pick the other one.

And in news that will no doubt delight many who tried to platinum P4G and failed - like me - the P5 version of the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy is way easier this time around too. As long as you switch up your team mates (use the skill that let's Joker switch party members mid battle if you like) you'll get it no bother. I assumed I'd get it on my second playthrough with some grinding but I got it without even trying.

johncalmc

Twitter:

ApostateMage

I've just fought a huge phallus on wheels called a Throbbing King Of Desire!!

ApostateMage

Feena

Just finished the second Palace. Absolutely loving the design of these. The hard difficulty definitely felt hard this time around.

Edited on by Feena

Ralizah

@Feena The second palace boss was a genuine challenge on hard mode. Not overwhelming, but I felt like I had to stay on my toes the entire time I was fighting him. I can't wait to see what else the game throws at me.

kyleforrester87

Yeah I beat the second palace boss first time but it was literally down to my final move. Everyone was dead and if my last attack hadn't done it I would have been game overed.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Feena

@Ralizah @kyleforrester87 Yeah, me too - I had like 15 hp left and had to choose between using a recovery item that could possibly but not surely win me another round or press attack hoping to deal enough damage to kill the boss. But that's we like our JRPG bosses, isn't it. How's the merciless setting, I wonder?

Ralizah

@Feena I'm willing to bet even lower EXP/Yen from enemy encounters and a much higher chance of your attacks missing entirely (which isn't THAT big of a deal in this game, considering it doesn't have press turns). I'm liking hard mode: challenging, but not cheap, and I don't feel like I need to grind.

Fight_Teza_Fight

Just finished! Got the good ending. 121 hours, 81% Persona Compendium completion.
What a game! Re-evaluating my initial score. 10/10. Not only is it my GOTY by far. It's also in my games of the generation alongside Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne.

I can't gush enough about the game. The OST, the character building, the story (what a first enemy!). Just fantastic. So glad the ending sequences lived up to the rest of the game. That's where P4G nosedived for me.
It's also overtaken P3P as my favorite Persona game.

Going to start NG+ for the platinum run. Bought the P3P & P4G costume/OST to keep things fresh. Bumping the difficulty up to hard. Thought about merciless, but I need the money if I'm to fill out my persona compendium.

Merciless:
Damage received: x1.6
Damage dealt: x0.8
Experience: x0.4
Money: x0.4
Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled.

Seriously though. WHAT. A. GAME!!!

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Fight_Teza_Fight

ApostateMage

I've just finished and it's probably one of the longest single run playthroughs of a game I've ever done. 155 hours! I got the good ending (after a reload of getting the bad ending earlier on) but my compendium was only 56%. I romanced Mokoto because she had brains, brawn and had those awesome hips. I'm definitely gonna start a new game plus to sweep up the remaining trophies.

Absolute cracking game.

ApostateMage

Feena

@Fight_Teza_Fight wow merciless is really harsh on money and exp!

The social links (confidents ?) cut scenes are the best in the seres by far ...I have been really surprised by a copule of them.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic