Forums

Topic: Nier: Automata

Posts 281 to 300 of 313

crimsontadpoles

@Thrillho That part in the 3rd playthrough was frustrating, but I think it was deliberate. No matter how bad it was for the player, it's a lot worse for 2B.

Though actually, I didn't have too much of a problem with it. Even though an enemy punched me which knocked me down to the very bottom of the big pit, I still just about made it to the end in time.

@Ralizah One advantage of being finished with this game now is that you don't have to worry about doing that part twice more to get all the joke endings.

Th3solution

@Ralizah That’s pretty good then, if it’s at least amongst your top tier games. I agree with you, although I esteem it probably a little but higher, but I also can appreciate its weaknesses (of course there’s no such thing as a perfect game). It will be interesting to see is Taro makes another game whether he can still be creative and quirky, and yet still deliver a slightly more polished, tighter product. That would be fantastic. I know this game did better commercially than expected and I think they’ll give him another shot at creating more games.
As far as the ending, the interesting theory in the video remarks that the “final boss” in the end credits is, in essence, the development team. With the “god” you are killing (alluded to in the beginning) being the creator — in the literal sense it is the game creators (which you shoot down during the credits), and in the game world it is the AI of the extinct humans / vestiges of humankind who created you. At least that’s how I interpreted it
@Thrillho I didn’t face Emil either, I opted to skip that. I also didn’t get the DLC, which is supposed really tough as well. Beating the final form of that martial arts guru robot was probably the toughest fight I remember. That was a long fight.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Ralizah I get the feeling the bit with your data probably doesn’t make a difference. Seeing as more than one person gets killed helping you, it would seem to be impossible for that feature to continuously work. The text and names are probably real though

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

Glad you enjoyed it! I went in expecting a cool sci-fi game with good music and platinum games gameplay, I was surprised by how much more I got out of it.

It's in my all time top 5 along with FF7, FF9. XBC2 is in my top 10 somewhere for what that's worth

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@Th3solution Last year was absolutely lousy with modern classics and amazing sequels. It's going to be one of those years that future generations look back on in reverence (with regard to video games, anyway).

S-E has been funding Taro's weird little projects that don't sell well and have been getting lukewarm critical scores for years. Finally he's written a game that has sold extremely well AND is a critical smash. He'll absolutely get funding for future games. I'd love to see more collabs with Platinum, personally.

Let's just hope he isn't a one-trick pony. Some people only have one really good game in them.

@Thrillho That, or it came with an enormous initial pool of artificial player data. I'd prefer to believe the latter, but even if it is astroturfed, the sequence is still incredibly well-done.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

andreoni79

Nice tweet... February 21 is the release date.
Untitled

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

ApostateMage

I do like that Yoko Taro chap.

ApostateMage

Ralizah

He gets a lot of mileage out of being utterly eccentric, I guess.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Nei

LOL, I'll get this Yorha edition, I am trying to get into Dragon Quest 11 but turns out I simply can't so this will fix the JRPG itch.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Th3solution

@Keith_Zissou I found this thread which is still open so figured I’d post here. Obviously try not to read back too much since there might be spoilers in it (although most should be spoiler tagged), but there’s some good discussion about the game here.

How’s the playthrough coming along? Are you enjoying the combat, music, characters, and narrative?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Keith_Zissou Yes — the barren open world is largely the initial turn-off for a lot of people. I’m not going to lie and say the environments get really diverse like, say, a Dragon Age Inquisition or Jedi Fallen Order, nor as post-apocalyptically and uniformly beautiful as a Death Stranding, but it does seem to get better than that opening area. The combat took some acclimation for me too, as I think the only other Platinum game I’d played was Bayonetta. Oh, and Vanquish. So I guess I did have a little experience with their style. 😄

But I definitely didn’t have any context for the Yoko Taro brand of gaming. That’s definitely where I was taken for a ride.

If you find yourself struggling, then you always have the option of turning down the difficulty and just breezing through to get the gist of the story, since I know you’re on a timetable before your sub expires.

Thrillho

@Keith_Zissou The one thing I always mention when people start out with the game is that you unlock fast travel a bit into the game. The early side missions require a shed load of backtracking across far ends of the map so it may be worth saving them until you can quickly nip back and forth. I wish I had!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Th3solution The opening area is honestly my favourite in the game. The sandy place and amusement park kinda annoyed me.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

R1spam

I thought I would drop a quick post here to say a big thanks to @Th3solution @thrillho and @colonelkilgore for your advice on nier automata. I finished multiple playthroughs now having nearly bounced off the game after the first few hours. I've never experienced a game where my opinion has changed so positively after sticking with a game!! I do think that there was too much shared content between playthroughs but the premise of the story and the exploration of forever conflict and shared nature of the combatants was very well done. .

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

colonelkilgore

@R1spam good to hear that it eventually clicked for you (& then some by the sounds of it). There is something so different and unique about Nier: Automata, I found that nothing really scratched that itch for awhile after finishing it. Obviously there is Nier: Replicant now but there was nothing quite like it back in 2017. Are you gonna go straight into the prequel, or come back to it at another time?

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@R1spam Great to hear! Glad that it turned out to be an enjoyable experience in the end.

I agree that it takes some warming up to. I actually played the demo back when the game released and was pretty put off by it. Everyone raved at what a great demo it was and I was unimpressed. However, after seeing the praise of the game, I took the plunge and it has become one of my favorite PS4 games, and one of my top games of all time, actually.

If you didn’t see this video, I encourage you to watch it. It’s pretty long at 45 min. but the break down of the game’s narrative, symbolism, philosophy, and message is really well done. A lot of it is high-brow critique and interpretation, but it gave me a lot to think about. If even half of what the video talks about was Taro’s intent, the game is an impressive piece of expression and ideology. If you can’t make it through the whole video, then at least around minute 33 he talks about the symbolic meaning of the final ending, which is what was in my opinion one of the greatest endings I’ve experienced.

R1spam

@colonelkilgore great question, as much as I enjoyed nier automata I won't be diving into the prequel for a while, if at all. I'm happy for this to be a stand alone experience and I have a shed load of games that I have started and want to keep playing that will keep me busy for a very long time!! @Th3solution, cheers for that, will give it a watch/listen. I can see why Taro has so many fans.

XBOX: Placebo G

colonelkilgore

@R1spam probably a wise decision bud. I still haven’t dipped my toe in the prequel either, though I do look forward to it. Much like you though… an absolute shed-load of games dictates that it’ll be a while. I think I have it scheduled for around July 2023.

Good luck with the backlog dude… may the vast majority of them ‘click’ with ya 👍

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore @R1spam I also have delayed playing Replicant. I think I partly have avoided it due to my own backlog as well, but also - everything I have read has said it doesn’t reach Automata’s level of greatness. After re-watching that video it got me a little pumped to play the prequel now though. I saw it the other day at GameStop for $44 and it’s tempting. I wonder if any users on here have played it and could recommend it.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.