Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter World PS4

Posts 301 to 320 of 393

WanderingBullet

@Bliquid Managed to complete Ex Behemoth with randoms (all melee weapons) via SOS during the second time as well. This time it was much easier since we didn't had to do any jumps (which can be pretty tricky at times to get the timing right) and we had zero faints.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Tasuki

So I am finally starting this game and having only played Monster Hunter on the Wii briefly I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this series. So Inam just wondering what would be a good weapon to begin with?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

andreoni79

@Tasuki I'd say long swords are the best entry weapons since they are good both for close combat and mid range.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Tasuki

So I decided to go with the light gunbow (or whatever it's called). And I am having alot of fun. The only thing is this game can be a bit overwhelming to new players. With all the crafting and such.

My Backlog

JohnnyShoulder

@Tasuki I'm interested in how you get on with this, as it is on my gamedar and I've also never played a MH game before.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tasuki

@JohnnyShoulder For me at least it's one of those games that despite being overwhelmed at first I want to keep playing to learn more about it. They give you a few basic tutorials but that's about it. Most of it it seems you have to learn on your own. However when I am not playing it I am on YouTube watch videos or reading guides and such online.

My Backlog

Thrillho

I loved the game when it came out and the hardest bit was picking a weapon class to go with.

I ended up going with the lance as I liked the reach for it and the shield meant playing as a tank was a bit easier. The move set is a bit more basic than some of the other weapons but I felt some of the others were a little bit too complicated.

I'd never played any other MH game before and would recommend people to give it a go. I know a fair few people who couldn't get on with it however. Personally, I loved the enemies in the game and that almost every fight was like a boss fight. Grinding for gear could get annoying but it wasn't often I had to do it really. I also did a fair mix of solo and group hunts (with randoms) and enjoyed both experiences.

Thrillho

crimsontadpoles

The weapons I used were the Hunting Horn, Sword & Shield, and Bow. Honestly I wasn't too keen on any of those 3, and I only picked them because I like to try out new weapon classes on each new Monster Hunter game. Bow was fun to use, but it never felt like I was doing much damage with it.

From my experience of past MH games, my favourite weapon types are Hammer, Insect Glaive, and Dual Blades.

Thrillho

@crimsontadpoles The insect glaive sounded cool and I ran with that for a while but just had no clue what I was doing with it.

And that's one of the downsides to the game (but perhaps an upside for some people) in that you have to figure a lot of stuff out for yourself.

Thrillho

WanderingBullet

We're getting Arch Tempered Lunastra and Zorah next.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

WanderingBullet

There's also another Horizon: Zero Dawn event quest. Not sure, but I think we may have to fight two Deviljhos for this one.

WanderingBullet

I think AT Lunastra might be the toughest so far compared to all the other AT monsters.

JohnnyShoulder

So I started this last night. I tried some of the weapons in the training arena and I went with the insect weapon thing. For me it had the coolest moveset and goes with the lighter, speedier play style I tend to go for.

I was a wee bit tired to start on the first hunt, I noticed the game disables saving even when you are still preparing for it at base. Can you not save at any point when you accept a mission?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Well that sucks. It bugs me when games do that and only auto saves infrequently.

I think the combat clicked for me earlier on the second mission. It felt a bit stiff in game compared to when I was in the training arena, but I think I'm getting used to it now.

How do you keep the camera locked on? I press one of the sticks and a red marker appears on an enemy but it only stays for a couple of seconds. I can imagine it not been problematic with the larger enemies, but when you have a few of the smaller ones it can be.

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder it makes sense not being able to save during missions as they’re essentially being played in an online environment (even if you play solo and lock anyone else out).

It’s good to do missions as a mix of both though and I say that as someone who normally avoids online play unless with friends. My philosophy was to do story missions solo first time through but with groups when doing the side quests or loot hunting.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet @Thrillho
It still sucks about the saving though lol. This why I'm not overly keen on these 'only online' games like Destiny and The Division. You can't save or pause the game when you in a mission cos your playing online, even if you are playing solo. And they are usually quite lengthy too. And it's even worse in MHW cos you have a time limit, so you can't even find a quiet corner or something if you need to do something. Shame cos I really enjoy the gameplay.

Anyway moan over, cheers for the links, I will check em out later.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

So not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but I spent a couple of hours in a expedition last night and got I got no items at the end? Now the beast I was hunting escaped the area, but I picked up loads of other stuff and killed other beasts. My cat got a few items at the end but nothing for my character. Feels like I've just wasted couple of hours in the game which I find really frustrating. I hate any sort of lack of progression or reward. I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.