Forums

Topic: Kingdom Hearts

Posts 201 to 220 of 222

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge ****, now I’ve bloody entered this thread for the first time ever! 😂

**** DLC!

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore Haha, welcome! I'm actually quite glad to see that I've made you this interested in the series even if you end up not playing it.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge well, it’s not as if I don’t have a lot on the plate already… but I love nothing more than a long, fulfilling adventure. I’m gonna watch some fan vids on YouTube and get a feel for the love.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore Do so! Just be careful of spoilers as a lot happens in this series. Not that you'll recognise most of it as it's dependent on prior knowledge and context, but you know.

And yeah, it's totally understandable that you have other games to play as well, not to mention that the KH series has tons of games that it will take a while to get through them all. But the thing is that there are not many of these "long, fulfilling adventures" so it's definitely worth experiencing them eventually.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge okay I’m in! I used to love me some SuperButterBuns and for whatever reason totally forgot that she existed:

Just bought the 1.5 & 2.5 Collection, 2.8 & 3. Have absolutely no idea when I will get around to starting it but it’s now officially on the docket!

**** DLC!

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore Wow, you really went all out there! But yeah, those are basically all the games you need in order to play through the entire series up until the third game.

And yeah, that video was actually really good and informative, with the key takeaway being that you should play the games in the order they show up in the menu, which is how I did it. Another important point she brings up is that every game is important. I sometimes hear people call the non-numbered games "spinoffs", but they are very much necessary in order to understand the story.

Just some things to keep in mind before you start out the series: Kingdom Hearts 1 is rough around the edges and the combat can feel a bit dated. There's also not much in terms of in-depth lore because that doesn't start until the next game Chain of Memories. Speaking of which, all KH games have different gameplay styles and Chain of Memories is probably the most unconventional game. Most people also find it to be the hardest game in the series, but it's very much doable once you figure out some strategies. If you manage to get past those two games, then the rest is going to be a breeze and I found the games to get progressively better with each entry.

When you start out this series, I'd love to read your impressions of the games!

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge that’s me bud… all-in or all-out! There’s not enough time available to dilly-dally.

Yeah, I’ll be sure to tag you when I start the series for sure… it’ll be a while but I love chatting about what I’m playing at any given time… particularly with someone who has kindled my initial interest.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Yeah, as @LtSarge says, Chain of Memories plays totally different. It’s still a decent game but very different and the platinum is brutal! My favourite one is KH 2 probably, just a fantastic package and loads of content without feeling padded. Most of them are actually great games though.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett well, the whole thing just sounds enticing… I’ll probably space each game out when I eventually start them but I’ll at the very least try for the plat on all of them.

**** DLC!

LtSarge

I'm 5 hours into KH3 now and I just have to say that this game has easily the best and most varied gameplay system out of all the titles. It's almost kinda overwhelming but luckily, there's a good mix of stuff that return from previous games as well as new things so it's not too hard to remember it all. But yeah, there's just so many different things you can do in a battle now; from all the different combos, to the plethora of special moves and finishers, to the summons and flowmotion attacks, and there are even different attacks depending on which keyblade you have and you can switch keyblades mid-battle! Holy crap the gameplay system is awesome. Not to mention that it just feels so fluid, like I can just jump around and attack enemies in the air and I constantly feel like I'm in control. The mechanics just feel great and I honestly feel like the developers have perfected the gameplay system. If they just reuse the same one in all games going forward, I'd be totally fine with that. There's just so much variety and most importantly, it's so much fun. It's not as challenging as most games in the franchise, but I think it's more important that it focuses on being pure fun. And it succeeds in doing that ten times over. Man, I love this game!

LtSarge

LtSarge

Well, after 10 hours of playing KH3, I'm kinda getting tired of it. There are two main issues I've noticed with the game so far: poor level design and too many battles. First of all, the Olympus level was great. Then you get to the Toy Story level and that one was so underwhelming. It's just one big area with nothing happening in it. Not to mention that there's no actual goal, you're just on a wild goose chase looking for your lost friends. Next level is Tangled's world and at first I thought it was pretty cool but then I realised that I've spent hours in it and I'm still not out of the bloody forest! There's no change in environment whatsoever, you're just moving ahead with barely anything interesting happening during the way. And holy crap, do they throw tons of battles at you in this level. So much so that the combat is getting very repetitive. I would've appreciated some platforming or anything other than fighting just to spice things up, but literally every 2-3 minutes there's a battle. I also don't like how the story in Tangled's world is just a retelling of the movie. Usually there are original stories in the Disney worlds but this is basically the entire premise of the movie. I genuinely hope that they don't do the same in future worlds. I kinda get it though, Tangled was pretty much a one-off so to fit in Sora and the gang somewhere in that universe probably wasn't easy. But it just feels lazy, you know?

Anyway, I'm not giving up on the game but I do feel like I should take a break from it and play something else in the meantime. Or I'll be stubborn and keep playing it in hopes for some story exposition that'll regain my interest or improvements in gameplay variety.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

mookysam

@LtSarge Kingdom Hearts has never had particularly wonderful level design, and because the series was so wedded to PS2-level hardware, individual areas were always quite small. I liked the bigger worlds in KH3 (especially Olympus, which is fab), but thought the Tangled one was pretty dull, notwithstanding the end bit once you get out of the forest. There's a Pirates of the Caribbean level later on that is actually pretty fantastic and very different from previous worlds. I also enjoyed the Big Hero 6 one, which again has some different gameplay, but at the same time feels quite detached. The Toy Story level was genuinely disappointing, though, given the potential. Why wasn't it set in Al's Toy Barn? Or Sid's house? The Monster's Inc is also quite dull, making me think that Pixar and Disney really didn't want Square doing too much with the properties.

Overall I loved the game, and how it evolves the wonderful combat system from Birth by Sleep, while also lifting the flowmotion from Dream Drop Distance. The story isn't quite the slam dunk many were hoping, and neatly wrapping up the myriad of absurd plot threads from the previous titles was never going to be feasible. The very end actually leaves things pretty up in the air for more games, and I regret not watching the movie from the 2.8 collection beforehand.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@mookysam That's true but the older KH levels never overstayed their welcome. Meanwhile, I'm already fed up with Tangled's world even though I really liked the movie.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@mookysam @LtSarge The Toy Story world was so disappointing. Everything just felt weird and not right at all. The fake toy shop thing was pointless and it felt more like Dead Rising than a Toy Story world. Even the music just didn’t sound right.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

Just finished Kingdom Hearts 3 after roughly 32 hours of playtime. Absolutely fantastic game! It feels weird to have witnessed the end of a story that's been going on for 20 years now. I'm very glad though that the game ended in a great way. All characters have been reunited and honestly, the reunions did make me teary-eyed since it's been a long time coming. Not to mention that my favourite KH game is Birth By Sleep and so it was very nice to see all those characters reunited again. But yeah, the game did an excellent job at wrapping up this story, even though there was a cliffhanger at the end. I'd definitely love to see more KH games in the future though!

What did I think about this game though? In terms of gameplay, it's definitely the best KH game so far. The games have always focused on smooth movements and traversal but they were never fully achieved due to outdated hardware. But with the game being on PS4, it felt so good to be playing it. The gameplay system was very satisfying and most importantly, it had a lot of variety. The fact that each keyblade felt completely different and unique and you could switch between three of them during a battle was such a great idea! You would have this keyblade that focused on range, another on close combat and another on creating mirages that would then attack the enemies. There were also a lot of mechanics brought back from previous games and overall, it's the most streamlined and KH-like gameplay system you could ask for.

In terms of the worlds and the story in general, well they could've definitely been better. My favourite worlds were Hercules, Monsters Inc and Pirates of the Caribbean. They had a great pacing and story. Like the Hercules world was just pure epic, Monsters Inc was tons of fun and Pirates of the Caribbean had an actual open world where you could explore islands on a ship and attack other ships just like in Assassin's Creed 4, which was just awesome! I didn't like the Tangled and Frozen worlds because they were just a retelling of the movies. When I'm playing through a new Disney world, I'm expecting it'll be based on an original story. For example, the Toy Story world takes place in between Toy Story 2 and 3, the Big Hero 6 world took place after the first movie, the Monsters Inc world took place after the first movie as well and so on. But the Tangled and Frozen worlds were still beautiful and fun to explore. The most underwhelming world was definitely Toy Story as it was just an empty open level with a bland story. The Big Hero 6 world was good but it felt too short. I mean, you have the largest open world in the entire game and you're only there for like an hour, lol. It was definitely under-utilised.

But my biggest issue with the worlds is just that they should've spread them out more and added other things to do in between, like saving the characters or just something story-related. Because it felt rather rushed to go through one Disney world after another so quickly. Other than that, I think the amount of worlds was good because we still ended up with a 30+ hour adventure. Any more worlds and the game would've easily been 40-50 hours long, which would be too long lol.

So yeah, I really enjoyed my time with this game and this series as a whole. What a ride it has been! It's been so many years since I started playing Kingdom Hearts 1 and I can't believe I'm at the end already. Granted, I still have Melody of Memory to play so I'm looking forward to giving that a go down the line. I don't think I'll be playing the Remind DLC though since it doesn't seem worth going through. Apparently it's good if you want more boss battles and challenge in general, and that's just not for me lol.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

KidRyan

@LtSarge ReMind DLC is more than just extra boss battles and challenge.

It helps sets up the next arc/saga, while also fleshing out the final KH3 battles.

You also need to play thru Melody of Memory (Kairi rhythm game).

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

LtSarge

Finished watching the ReMind DLC on YouTube because I couldn't be bothered paying for it. And I'm glad that I didn't, the majority of it is just recycled content from the base game. It really isn't worth buying, it's basically just an extended ending. In fact, I'll summarise the two key takeaways after having played the DLC: 1) We're not searching for Kairi as one might have thought after the base game ending, we're searching for Sora instead, and 2) All the Kingdom Hearts games were apparently just a dream. Remember the classic lines: "I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like, is any of this for real or not?" Yeah, that apparently held more meaning than we thought.

There are some cool moments and unique boss fights but that's about it. In order to even unlock the coolest part of the DLC, you have to battle these super hard bosses and it's not really worth it. I'd recommend to go watch the cutscenes on YouTube if you avoided the aforementioned spoilers.

LtSarge

KidRyan

LtSarge wrote:

Finished watching the ReMind DLC on YouTube because I couldn't be bothered paying for it. And I'm glad that I didn't, the majority of it is just recycled content from the base game. It really isn't worth buying, it's basically just an extended ending. In fact, I'll summarise the two key takeaways after having played the DLC: 1) We're not searching for Kairi as one might have thought after the base game ending, we're searching for Sora instead, and 2) All the Kingdom Hearts games were apparently just a dream. Remember the classic lines: "I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like, is any of this for real or not?" Yeah, that apparently held more meaning than we thought.

There are some cool moments and unique boss fights but that's about it. In order to even unlock the coolest part of the DLC, you have to battle these super hard bosses and it's not really worth it. I'd recommend to go watch the cutscenes on YouTube if you avoided the aforementioned spoilers.

Don't forget to also watch/play Melody of Memory! You'll want to start watching at 25 mins, 50 secs into this video, it helps setup the next game (which hasn't been announced yet).

Edited on by KidRyan

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

LtSarge

@KidBoruto I actually have the game for Switch, so I'll be playing through it sometime in the future! I like rhythm games and considering this one was only €20 I thought it'd be worth getting.

LtSarge

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.