Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 461 to 480 of 603

Davehunt

When do we get these guns u guys talk about so u can take out bases semi Rambo style? atm, I am early game Mission 4 I assume mid-game because when I browse the net I don't see what missions these weapons become available to craft... I know they require GMP which is from Side Ops, Missions, Fultoning Soldiers, to increase your team in that section level if I am correct also Build the combat platform with the fultoning soldiers is it based on Your Team level and how much GMP you have which all links into Missions anyway I guess? Because Missions = GMP and also fultoning soldiers increase the level of the team which overall means GMP + the Increased level of the team of each section is required for better weapons, tools, items and so on. Sorry if I am confusing ppl think I am confusing myself as well lol.

Edited on by Davehunt

Davehunt

kyleforrester87

@Davehunt it was 4 years ago when I played it so I can’t remember how you unlock new guns 😂 I’m sure someone with a better memory can help, otherwise google will sort you out. I know you can buy them and choose a load out before leaving motherbase 🤷‍♂️

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@Davehunt Yeah, MGS series has been known primarily as stealth games and the focus has always been on that, but MGS V is actually the most wide open action of the series where you can just go guns blazing and lethal. In fact, without spoiling anything, the game changes in a few ways throughout the game based on whether you’ve taken a lethal approach or a non-lethal stealth approach.

I also don’t remember since it’s been so long, but the guns will be coming fairly soon I think. Guns, grenades, C4, etc. Including buddies like Quiet who can shoot people for you, and D-Walker which is like a mech that has a coupe different weapons on it (a machine gun and a rocket launcher if I recall), as well as you eventually gain the ability to call in helicopter strikes down onto a camp, there are missions you have to use rocket launchers, .... yeah, for a Metal Gear game it’s got a lot of options and more potential for combat.

Personally I played it mostly non-lethal and fully upgraded and utilized the Fulton system to just take the soldiers and vehicles out of the picture. If you know them out and then Fulton them, not only to you rid the camp of the body, so you don’t have to worry about a dead body alerting the others, but it also builds your base. But you can do the Rambo thing for sure, but for me it makes the game harder.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

I just started replaying mgs V from the beginning, had to delete my original save in order to start again. I love miller's arc from peace walker to this point in the game, I really feel for him.

One thing that really saddens me is seeing Ocelot, especially when you know how he turns out in mgs 2 and especially 4 when he kind of erases his own mind and replaces it with a facsimile of Liquids mind. Its just kind of saddening that such a great character decides to more or less erase himself. Though I suppose one wouldn't feel anything or be so interested in the young ocelot had MGS 1 and 2 at least introduced his older self.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I've gotta admit, I'm a huge fan of Ocelot in other games, but his portrayal in MGSV left me cold (probably in no small part thanks to Troy Baker, who kinda ruins things for me now, but that's a personal issue). He's just, sort of... there, occasionally saying some words and standing in the background of key scenes. It felt like a cameo to me, particularly compared to how integral he was in previous games.

You're right, Miller has a much better arc, and is a crucial part of how MGSV sells its story. That opening mission, where you ride out to rescue him, is so memorable.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger yeah and it only cost him an arm and a leg sorry just had to, the first time I played it I was shocked by his current state but it was undermined last night by me having that lame joke in my head lol.

What's the Troy baker thing? I haven't heard anything about him

I quite like ocelots new look, and I suppose he is just there because he is playing a long game for the real big boss which is why he is less emotionally invested than miller who is still in the dark about the plan at this point if I remember correctly.

I did spend the tutorial on mother base trying to beat ocelot up if that makes you feel any better, he mainly pushes you away if you cqc him or try to swipe his legs out but I found the quick dive to be quite effective...

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Oh, agreed, it makes sense for Ocelot to be present given the overall timeline; I just wish they'd done a little more with him, s'all (and for the record, I still consider MGSV one of the unparalleled highlights of this current generation). I suppose Miller deserves more time in the spotlight, given his unceremonious fate before the Shadow Moses Incident, whereas Ocelot had plenty more highlights to come.

The whole Troy Baker thing is an unfortunate by-product of watching Retro Replay, the channel he did on YouTube with Nolan North. I don't want to speak ill of somebody I've never met, but let's just put it this way; Nolan now presents it alone, and it's much improved as a result.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger yeah that's true I suppose, but miller has had a huge presence in peace walker and this game, like so much development that I feel like I really know him as a character (and love him of course).

Speaking of random codec calls I was sort of remembering the weapons expert Nastasha from MGS1 earlier and wondering if she ever pops up elsewhere in the series. I didn't speak to her much in that game, I think Cecile from peace walker reminded me of her because she was also a bit of a nothing character who gives you some advice on birds and then is barely in it again.

I'll look up that Troy baker thing

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Did you ever play Portable Ops, by the way? Just curious, it has nothing to do with Miller so if you skipped it, don't worry, you're not missing much!

Nastasha is name-dropped in Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots, having written the in-universe book "In the Darkness of Shadow Moses: The Unofficial Truth" but you're right, I don't think she ever properly appears in a game again. I think there are a handful of those characters dotted about, though; folks needed to fill game-specific roles who don't really fit in once the story moves on. I mean, consider SIGINT from Snake Eater. Until they retconned him to be Donald Anderson, he was pretty much just there filling a vacant slot on Snake's radio.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger that's kind of interesting about Nastasha, I guess she will never be more than an information lady lol

I had no idea that the sigint thing was a retcon. The first time I played MGS3 was when the HD collection came out on PS3 (I had a GameCube instead of a PS2) so I guess it had already been retconned by then as mgs4 came out before the hd collection. Having said that the knowledge that he is who he is makes his interaction a lot more interesting and like miller he also faces his unceremonious off screen end as your actually talking to Decoy Octopus in MGS1 . On my recent playthrough of 3, I actually loved ringing up sigint while wearing ridiculous camo/face paint and finding out what he had to say. He's a legend lol.

Nah I'd never skip portable ops, it's awesome! I do find it weird that Kojima treats it as a black sheep with that "San heironymo crap" line in PW and the logos in ground zeroes triggering dismissive codec calls from miller. Portable ops basically introduced the main gameplay hook (base management and soldier capturing) which was expanded on in PW and 5 so I think it deserves more credit. Not to mention introducing the animated cut scene style that was prevalent in peace walker. I've said this before but the non Kojima games I haven't played are snakes revenge (NES), MGS game boy colour, which I think was called ghost Babel in other regions, survive and the two acids I also haven't played, or at least completed, Metal Gear 1 and 2.

I intend to finally play survive and MG1 and MG2: solid snake on this playthrough and also get around to the game boy colour one!

Oh yeah I've forgot about Touch and Mobile. I've bought an iPhone 3g off eBay a while ago to jailbreak and install Touch on though it's not high priority and I need to pick up an appropriate phone to do the same for metal gear mobile! I think the latter is set between MGS1 and 2

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Given that she appeared to smoke more than Snake, I doubt Nastasha would be able to run more than ten paces without collapsing and being captured anyway!

Same; I played Sons of Liberty as a kid, but then didn't play the rest until I could marathon the whole series from beginning to end on my PS3 (when Guns of the Patriots was considered "the end" at any rate) but yeah, Kojima had to tweak SIGINT's age in future games, to make him match Anderson's file, as he was a decade out when Snake Eater was released. He was a great character, no question, and it's one of the retcons I fully agree with (especially because, as you say, it never felt like a retcon when playing through each game, one after the other).

Kojima was apparently fully on board with Portable Ops, and made bold claims like "You won't be able to fully understand the story in Guns of the Patriots without it!" before its release. It's unfortunate he turned against it because, you're right, it's a solid game (pun semi-intended). Not my favourite, not by a long shot, but I had fun with it. I also like that it had a young Roy Campbell along for the ride, as he's one of my favourite characters (that's Sons of Liberty nostalgia speaking, mainly from when he hilariously loses his mind inside the Arsenal Gear).

Best of luck with those older games! You'll have to let us know how you get on with them. You're going to far greater lengths than I would, so I really hope you can get them working!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha, the health warning screen in mgs 4 always made me laugh with solid snake chuffing on a cigarette in the background.

Yeah Roy is a funny one, I know it was all a ruse to protect Rose and the kid in the end but his conversation with Snake about marrying her before you knew all that made me laugh so much

When I played PO recently, I actually played it on the PSTV and you can map the camera buttons to the right stick so it plays a lot better on the big screen. Not sure if it was because I hacked the PSTV (I weren't sure if PO was going to work if I bought it again digitally) but it worked well. (I also wanted to play Uncharted golden abyss on the big screen too which is definitely not compatible with a vanilla ps TV)

I'm sure the phone games will be an on going project that I won't get around to for years (like everything else I start lol) but yeah I am definitely going to play the 4 I mentioned, survive, MG1, mg2 and the GBC game. And I am curious (though this is in the long term projects category) if I can get the solid eye portions of metal gear acid 2 to work in the ps vr using the ps TV in the same way you can get the labo VR games on Switch to work in the PSVR.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I used to have a t-shirt I'd wear to work on casual Fridays, which just had Roy's face and a speech bubble saying "I need scissors! Sixty-one!!" You've no idea how many people I confused. One guy genuinely brought some scissors over to my desk.

Yeah, it's a shame Uncharted: Golden Abyss would need so much work to get running on TV, as I'd love to see an updated port of it, but I don't think Sony would ever consider it financially viable. The treatment Peace Walker got in the HD Collection was pretty lavish, although it did make its stop-start gameplay feel a little awkward (particularly hot on the heels of having played Guns of the Patriots).

My copy of Ac!d 2 still has the "Solid Eye" thing in the box, so that'll be fun to wrestle with as and when (again, like you, it's something I keep meaning to do... someday... ish...) but the way you're doing it is way above my capability. Best of luck with it!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha nice that sounds like an awesome t shirt.

The PSTV hacking is actually super simple to do and there is a website that has a step by step guide which can't be linked due to community rules. As for plugging in the VR, just a case of getting the cables the right way round I believe!

They should've just made golden abyss playable on the TV, it works really well using the motion controls in the dualshock 4. There's a thing that uses the vita camera too which just kind of completes itself when you play it on the TV...almost as if they went some way to patching it to make it compatible but stopped short of actually letting people buy it, really weird

I feel like peace walker would've been quite difficult to play the harder missions on the PSP without a second analog stick, definitely doable but wayyy harder

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Well, yeah, but Peace Walker was also designed for the Japanese market, where PSPs were plentiful and co-op gaming was something most people did on their commute. Fighting those final boss battles is a painful experience solo, regardless. I think any control challenge would've been offset by having a buddy or two offloading stinger missiles into the Peace Walker's face whilst you got your bearings!

It's the whole "holding the map up to the light" thing which I thought would make Golden Abyss impossible on a television, yeah? Because all the touchscreen stuff could've been easily ported to a DualShock4's touchpad by now, if they wanted to.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger yeah exactly that, the touchpad on the ds4 works off the bat, the holding the map up to the light just works without doing anything. The only patch I had to add made the game recognise the motion controls

I got flattened by the peace walker type 2 extra op! Upon looking up some tips, it was literally just advised to upgrade the missile launchers and take a gun for the emp emitter parts. It was pretty easy once I was armed with that information!

I found that fighting tanks/APCs/helicopters is the most boring bit, just because there are so many all at once but I did manage to beat all 127 missions and unlock the swimming trunks! Which made the date with kaz extra op all the more memorable. It's funny how the co-ops quotes made the two date missions way better. "Snake in!" and "I'm pulling out now"... Too bad the latter, though just a practical part of the situation decreases the happiness of the person you are on a date with

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Ah, the bizarre humour of Metal Gear... how I miss it!

I don't think I've ever managed to 100% complete Peace Walker. By the time I'd finished the story, I think I was suffering a little bit of burnout (as it was, at the time, the last game released). Perhaps someday, I'll do a chronological run, which would put Peace Walker somewhere in the middle, if not slap bang in it. Might have a bit more patience for it then.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger well I mean, I didn't S rank every mission and get all the trophies 🙄, tbh I'd struggle to find anyone to play online with to get the last online trophies

It is a bit mental I've played this series so much, I think I replayed MGS1 like 15 times when it came out as a kid. Then I played it again along with 2, 3, PO, 4 about ten years ago when I was at uni (and rising when it came out a couple years later) then I replayed the big boss games including peace walker for the first time before mgs V came out which I guess was about 5 or so years ago now, so 3 (on 3ds this time), PO, PW, GZ then phantom pain. Then in this play through which I started last year, I played the remake Twin Snakes and 2, and since lockdown started I've played 3, portable ops, 4, rising, GZ and now I'm on phantom pain again.

Lock down has been really good for my backlog including some replayed games. I've completed 6 Uncharted games, 5 MGS games, 3 Gears of War and Halo 5 Guardians so about 15 games in total. There might be one I've forgotten about, not sure lol

Next week I will try and make an effort to make a dent in my comics backlog. Im about 2 years behind there 🤦‍♂️, I have over 4 stubby boxes full of unread comics!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Wow, yeah... I'm a long way off being anywhere close to that amount of Metal Gear playthroughs, and I doubt I ever will be in this lifetime! But I am long-overdue a revisit. I need to stop wading through other franchises (spent my lockdown playing eight Spider-Man games) and make the time for it; perhaps towards the holidays, as I'm never an early adopter of new hardware.

But I'm with you, I need to read more, too. I've got a list of novels I need to get, not even counting the unread ones on my shelves, as well as dozens of comic compilations and graphic novels.

And that's even before I've checked my watchlists across three streaming services... yikes...

Making It So Since 1987

Sorry, this topic has been locked.