Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 441 to 460 of 603

HallowMoonshadow

I don't think anyone disagreed about the gameplay really @KratosMD. It's the one thing I will undoubtedly give Phantom Pain. It's very satisfying.

KratosMD wrote:

If you have certain expectations of a game based on what you've seen or played from previous entries and don't have an open mind, then obviously you're not going to like that game if it turns out to be the opposite of what you thought it would be

Untitled

Whilst I agree to a point about your first paragraph, It's nearly impossible to go in without expectations to any game... especially to the fifth mainline entry (or tenth or whatever including spinoffs) of a very interconnected series that up until this entry has a ridiculously distinct style...

To be honest I'm not even bothered about that fact it's a change of style. I think my last two reviews of Let It Die & Jade Cocoon 2 and my expressed love of the Souls series shows I'm all for pure gameplay at times.

MGSV just has some awful, lazy storytelling. The characters aren't great either.

The cassette tapes aren't engaging in the slighest being huge exposition dumps.

The jeep ride. Memorable. But a complete and utter slog.

Plus the "twist" is ridiculously underbaked and felt like it was put in just to have one. It's painfully unclever and honestly insulting to the player

And to be honest I've always thought it was a decent game til we started talking about it yesterday... It's weird how I've come to realise I actually don't like it at all barring the gameplay 😂

Of course that's just my opinion! The civil tone in the forum even if we disagree is quite nice

RogerRoger wrote:

refined, focused story between missions

@RogerRoger We'll have to agree to disagree on the very highest of terms about that

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

KratosMD wrote:

and don't have an open mind. You missed that part when reading my post.

... Well... Don't I feel sheepish @KratosMD? That's I what I get for posting instead of sleeping! 😂

I'm sure I've said it before on here but I can happily play a game with a mediocre story so long as the gameplay holds up or play a game with average gameplay if the story holds up.

Seeing as I played Phantom Pain for 50 or so hours I can certainly do so but... turns out I can't ignore it in what I think is a bad story even if the gameplay is delightful

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

RogerRoger wrote:

refined, focused story between missions

@RogerRoger We'll have to agree to disagree on the very highest of terms about that

I agree to agreeing to disagree about our disagreement and oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

Hey, life would be boring if we were all the same. I do like how exploring and discussing this has helped you solidify your position; makes it a worthwhile endeavour, at least in my book.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I don't think it is just not having an open mind. I wouldn't have played the game if I did not have one. But the game not feeling like a MGS game is only part of why I didn't like the game. There are loads of other reasons if why I and other people did not dig it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

DerMeister

As a longtime MGS fan, V was probably the only game that I felt it wanted me to dislike it.

I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, I don't think anyone is disputing it. It's the most refined, responsive, and detailed gameplay of the series. The worst I can say is that some missions before Chapter 2 were rough, and Chapter 2 as whole baffled me, irritated me, and ultimately made me quit playing it. Forcing a harder difficulty on someone just to progress to the new stuff is something I thought was stupid, rough development or not. I felt that those special ops you started getting around that time would have been much better as main missions. I certainly enjoyed them more than getting insta gibbed by Quiet 88 times straight. Speaking of, the spoiled person, this game's Metal Gear unit, and random Skulls encounters being the only bosses was a letdown. The potential for amazing bosses with the gameplay of this title was massive.

I think my issue with the story, however much I experienced, was that I felt it wasn't adding much. Skull Face and his plan felt like it came and went. It was like filler for another entry. I could probably apply this to Peace Walker as well, but even after that, we already were pretty well acquainted with why Big Boss became a villain. It felt like another chapter that wasn't necessary. How much more did Big Boss need before the villain turn?

It was a game I really wanted to like, but it was asking a lot from me to do so.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

themcnoisy

@DerMeister 'Forcing a harder difficulty on someone just to progress to the new stuff is something I thought was stupid'

You can avoid the replayed harder missions. You don't need to choose them and skip to the next one along.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I don't think anyone is saying we need still be playing the first MGS game. I'm not even attached that much to the series having only played the first two games. Like I said the game not feeling like an MGS game for me was only part of why I didn't like it. That is not me being not open minded enough though, that would be something like refusing to play the game. I know someone who didn't play it because the voice actor for Snake had changed. Or those people writing off the next Yakuza game because of the change of battle system. I think saying people are not being open minded enough is being rather reductive without knowing the full reasons of why they don't like the game.

I can see your point though, games part of a long running series will always change, but by doing so it will also alienate some of the existing fans. I'm usually on the side of wanting to change things up, but not all the time and will depend on game by game. Like I was so glad Assassins Creed changed to the current format as thought the games were becoming a bit stale, but many would disagree and would like the games in the old style back again.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

themcnoisy

Reading everyone's comments MGS V is like marmite. I love marmite.

Th3solution

@themcnoisy I’ve got to try this marmite stuff everyone keeps talking about.
Looks like I’m going to have to take a trip to the UK to do it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

DerMeister

@themcnoisy It was never really pointed out to me that they were optional, so I assumed they were mandatory. I even checked gamefaqs to make sure, and whoopsie me. Apologies for my mistake.

I still feel iffy on the game, but I'll definitely have to return to it in the future now.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

themcnoisy

@Th3solution get on it mate
https://www.marmite.co.uk/

@DerMeister Don't apologise it was a daft inclusion. I remember attempting the level with the walker robot things you can drive in this compound as a hardest difficulty level. I tried it for absolutely ages, I still know my route through the level as its burnt into my brain. Never finished it though

I'm really in the mood for some MGS 5. Hopefully Death Stranding can scratch that itch.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I'd be happy to send you a jar, if you're that desperate (and given its reputation, you'll either love me for it, or never speak to me again).

That being said, I genuinely do think Marmite is right down the middle for me. I can take or leave it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy Prepare to be disappointed if you are expecting something like MGSV from Death Stranding.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Davehunt

So being new to the MGS Series and I don't own a PS3 so can't play previous games so I did Ground Zero and now onto phantom pain, my question is a long 1 is every single mission stealth-based where if you're sighted once your pretty much screwed cus that's what it seems like cus it sure doesn't look like u can brute force missions you need to play slow and crawl everywhere or u need to do perfect headsets within a 3-second window so they don't alert others and then u need to dump the bodies so they aren't spotted is that what it's like every single mission slow-paced and stealth and crawling?

Davehunt

kyleforrester87

@Davehunt not really, if you get seen just run away and things will return to normal. Once you start getting more guns you can kill everyone in a base. The sniper rifle is very useful if that’s what you want to do.

Maybe watch a few videos on YouTube to see how other people play. There’s lots of different ways to approach missions once you get used to how the AI responds to things.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Davehunt

Ah, that's good to know thanks cus I was worried I'd after stealth, crawl, etc for every single mission not really that far in atm I've picked up quite a few tips reading on sites and so on like how to make GMP also things to do with Motherbase, Fulton's, maybe it's just a case of I am not far into the game atm only on like mission 4.

Davehunt

themcnoisy

@Davehunt no, you can complete almost every mission going in guns up.

I did a few this way, semi auto rifle and handguns as back up. Beware Snake takes damage like an ordinary bloke near enough so it's difficult to go in rambo style!

Davehunt

I think what's overwhelming me with the game atm there seems to be so many things to try and process as well like the following.

Making GMP
How to make your Motherbase bigger
How to build the Combat Platform 1st deploy workers into missions for more GMP
How to Fulton vehicles, containers
Farming Plants
Do Side-Ops
What weapons are the best and so many more things?
Don't get me wrong I know how to do most of these things as it stands but I still feel I should break it down into sections I guess.

All that on top of also trying to do Missions
So ye even tho I am early game like Mission 4 atm I think I am trying to process so many things atm rather than breaking it into 3 sections so say Early, Mid, Late Game.

Edited on by Davehunt

Davehunt

kyleforrester87

It’s funny coz if you were a none-gamer and read my last post you’d assume I’m an absolute maniac.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 I assumed you were anyway?

@Davehunt Yeah that was one of my problems with game. Felt like there were too many systems in play and I got a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.