Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 381 to 400 of 603

Kidfried

If you have no trouble with spoilers for the games in between MGS3 and MGS5 (chronologically speaking), there are some great videos on the backstory, so you can skip the portable games @KratosMD

There is nothing wrong with the portable Metal Gear games, but they are really designed for portable gameplay. Playing them in the HD remaster on your PS3 just isn't the same. @belmont practically summed up my feelings.

Kidfried

Octane

So, I'm wondering, is there any penalty in killing enemies?

Octane

Kidfried

Well, you get a ranking after your mission. It deducts points for killing enemies, right?

Kidfried

Octane

@kyleforrester87 I see, thanks. So killing a soldier once in a while isn't an issue then.

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane Right, that's no problem at all. I'd advice to just play the game in any way you want and not be too concerned with how you should or think you should play it.

I'm usually quite the perfectionist in games, replaying levels when once I don't have a perfect run or miss out on something. But with this one I really enjoyed just living the adventure, improvising when I get spotted, sometimes running, sometimes shooting, sometimes hiding.

Hope you enjoy it.

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried Yeah, I can be like that too. A skull popped up on my screen when I killed a guard and then I read about Snake/Big Boss(?)* growing horns.

*while looking it up, I saw that these are two different characters? It's even more confusing now lol.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD Hah, I know. But a good game should be playable on its own I think. Same applies to a good story.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD Well, if you're going to use names like Snake, The Boss AND Big Boss without context, I'm going to look up who is who

Octane

themcnoisy

@Octane Its different with MGS the story is functional as a stand alone game. However due to its convuluted and intertwined narrative based on fictional factions and characters over 30 years of games you would miss the importance of throw away sentences during an exchange.

in mgs 5, without prior knowledge of the series you have no idea whats the big deal with Ocelot, the effect and versions metal gear takes in the latter games, The backstory with major tom. The original big boss and her relationship as a triple agent, mother base and its relationship in mgs 2 etc etc. So you wouldnt have the same context as someone who has played through most of the games and would have to take it at face value.

There are also 4 different playable Snake characters who are all different people in the series all the way back to the msx original. But dont look too far into it as the games take place over 70 years and when originally conceived Kojima didnt necessarily believe the series would still be running so many years later. You are best playing a few games in the series in order to start making sense of whats going on.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@KratosMD Glad to see you’re still liking the game. You’re making good progress and I’m enjoying seeing the game through a first timer’s eyes, and one who really appreciates MGS games and lore.
It’s funny because I opened this thread to see your recent comment and then saw our exchange 9 months ago about the game and now I feel bad for suggesting for you to skip PW because you ended up really liking it 😅
But you can see now how I view TPP as the evolution of PW’s gameplay. It took some of its roots and just amped it up enormously.
Keep the impressions coming. As you get to the end I am really curious what side of the fence you fall on. But take your time as you’re really enjoying the world it seems. I suggest as long as you’re enjoying it to be sure and play all the missions, even those which aren’t required to get the end.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

I played TPP for like 80 hours and loved it, then just stopped enjoying it almost straight away for some reason! I wish I'd just pushed ahead with the story and not spent so much time fultoning everything.

I read the ending on Wikipedia in the end.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD With your new avatar, I'll have to start calling you KazMD.

You're right to note the darker tone of The Phantom Pain. There were hints in Ground Zeroes (the state in which you find Paz, and THAT tape between her, Chico and Skull Face... you know the one I mean) and I think it was a deliberate decision on Mr. Kojima's part to push in those directions. As joyful as the gameplay freedom can be, and as adorable as the base-building and buddy elements are, there are parts of The Phantom Pain that are just mercilessly grim. I usually hate that kinda stuff, so my adoration of the game just goes to show how excellent everything else is.

The mission to rescue Huey and face down Sahelanthropus was the next in sequence, after the Honey Bee mission we discussed the other day, that did nothing but elevate the game. Another one where I'd taken so, so much time looting the base for resources and extracting every soldier, only to be faced with a twist ending! So incredibly epic!

Enjoy the African plains!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

I think the game is darker in particular because of one of its main themes is loss. All characters have lost something and deal with it in their way. The pain that comes with loss is present throughout every fiber of the game. On a personal level it's darker than most other themes in the series.

It's also why MGS5 made such an impression on me personally, as I think anyone can relate to a feeling of loss (big or small) in some form.

I also think it is kinda necessary for the character development Big Boss is going through into who he is from Metal Gear 1 and on.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Yes, that's it... that's it exactly.

There were few moments of outright crying (nothing like the microwave corridor or saluting a gravestone, both of which hammered home the series' overt theme of self-sacrifice) but the entire thing's tone really, really resonates on that note.

It's new and different ground, but absolutely essential ground for Big Boss to cover.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

Nothing will ever beat finishing an MGS5 mission by riding a crate as you fulton it out of the area.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Don't apologise for your 'ramblings', they are very intresting to read!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Never apologise for a post like that. Whether people agree or disagree with you, the game's experience has integrated you and made you passionate about it. That's always worth talking about.

The child soldiers were a very brave addition, but an important one. I never, ever kill in Metal Gear unless it's absolutely necessary; CQC and the tranquilliser pistol have been my best friends from the very beginning but, even then, pointing and aiming a weapon at a child (even in a digital environment) did more for my awareness and empathy for the issue than any 30 second UNICEF advert ever could.

The overall narrative themes may be darker, but the individual details and elements are pushed to the limits. It makes you feel something, anything, and that's more than most games manage.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Thrillho Absolutely! Once you can wormhole Fulton, it’s so much fun. And it’s the best way to S-rank missions usually because it saves so much time.

@KratosMD The narrative really does carry some weight to it, which I also quite appreciated. I don’t like dark themes just for the sake of being dark, and like @RogerRoger I have always played my MG games as nonlethal as possible (I extracted so many soldiers over the course of my one with TPP it was ridiculous) but I like a story to resonate and make me think, and this game certainly does that. Tales of self sacrifice and rising from obscurity toward notariety get me every time. I think it’s a cool feature how Snake starts to appear more bloodied and the shrapnel in his skull grows to look sort of like a horn the more lethal you play. I always tried to keep my Snake clean and heroic.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@KratosMD Those 'ramblings', as you call them, are really making me want to play the game again..... Beginning to seriously think I was overly harsh on it.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Sorry, this topic has been locked.