1975: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
1984: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
1995: Metal Gear
1999: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
2005: Metal Gear Solid
2007 - 2009: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2014: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2016 - 2018: Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

Personally, I had played MGS4 and Peace Walker prior to MGSV (never played Rising), but I don’t think it’s essential. Peace Walker does relate directly, both story-wise and gameplay wise. Peace Walker is a good game, better than Portable Ops imo. But honestly, it had been long enough since I played PW that I didn’t really remember much of the story when I played GZ and it quickly brought up incidents and characters from PW which reminded me sort of, but the MG stories are so confusing anyways, but yes, PW’s story is pretty important. So I guess my answer is don’t worry about MGS4 for now (I would recommend to play it later though), and play PW before 5 if it interests you or if you have it in your backlog. If you aren’t interested (ie plan to never play PW) then read a summary of the story online then play GZ, followed by TPP. As you probably know, GZ is essential to TPP, so don’t skip it.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Th3solution

@KratosMD - I just read @themcnoisy response and I didn’t realize you havent finished 3 yet either. Definitely 3 is worth a play, mostly because it is probably the best Metal Gear game.

KratosMD

@themcnoisy @Th3solution I had played and finished MGS3, sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough. That's why I was only wondering which of the four games that came out in between MGS3 and MGS5 that I should play (although I did omit GZ from that list, I do plan on playing it before TPP).

But yeah, Portable Ops sucked just because it felt more like an arena style game where you repeat the same objectives over and over and get some story in between the levels. Does Peace Walker have more of a level design like the other MGS games before it (i.e. not including PO)? Because I don't want to explore arena maps and find bodies to recruit over and over, it's not fun.

Also, I got MGS5 today and when I booted up GZ, it apparently has a 'Backstory' mode for what I'm assuming is PW. Maybe it's better to read that and skip playing PW altogether?

"To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly"
"They fail to live because they are always preparing to live" - Alan Watts
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Th3solution

@KratosMD Although PW is a huge upgrade from PO, it does have some of that repetitive nature to the missions, with small limited stages and restricted exploration, if I recall correctly. It incorporates other more fun mechanics from other MG games and is much deeper than PO , but I feel like you wouldn’t care for the game nearly enough to warrant the 30 or so hours it might take to plow through just to get the story. And fultoning / recruiting soldiers is a big part of its gameplay, and also a large part of TPP as well, but it is much more fun in the larger open world setting of TPP.
I forgot about the ‘backstory’ option in GZ. Given Peace Walker’s poor sales, I assume that the vast majority of people that played MGSV didn’t play PW, I think you’d be fine just using the backstory mode to learn about how Snake starts off in the position he’s in, who Paz and Chico are, etc. MGSV is the much, much better game, so I’d advise to skip PW, in my opinion. When you finish MGS V, I would recommend to go on to play MGS 4 at some point, but just be ready for a lot more cutscenes. It wraps up the story and the game plays very well in the parts where you actually get to “play” rather than watch

KratosMD

@Th3solution Well that's highly disappointing. Does anyone actually find that type of gameplay fun? At least in PO it's a complete waste of time because that's all that you do in that game. At least in MGS5 there will be more variation in gameplay.

I'll give PW a try later on and if it doesn't hook me then I'll completely skip it and go straight to MGS5. Thanks!

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Th3solution

@KratosMD Well, I think it is just the limitations of the PSP that those games were developed for. In MGSV you really see more of the full vision of what the gameplay was intended to be. The open world is much funner to muck around in, and building Mother Base I found to be a nice distraction as well. Despite TPP’s open world, the missions are more limited, but the way they can be approached is quite varied.
Also, GZ is very, very small compared to TPP, so don’t fret if you don’t enjoy it. The gameplay is a lot more limited too, but it’s not that long of a game and so even if it doesn’t seem fun, finish it out to its climactic conclusion before moving on to TPP. You won’t regret it.

belmont

Well I may be in the minority but I liked both PO and PW. I played them on their release dates on PSP though and I understand that they may not have aged well. Anyway both are Vita compatible and look good on its screen. For PW there is an HD version on PS3 also.

I liked the story and characters in both games. I also loved the way the cutscenes are presented! PO and PW suffer from this recruit thing but this is present in TPP as well. I don't particularly recommend PO and PW as "requirements" for GZ and TPP, just watch the cutscenes online.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Kidfried

If you have no trouble with spoilers for the games in between MGS3 and MGS5 (chronologically speaking), there are some great videos on the backstory, so you can skip the portable games @KratosMD

There is nothing wrong with the portable Metal Gear games, but they are really designed for portable gameplay. Playing them in the HD remaster on your PS3 just isn't the same. @belmont practically summed up my feelings.

Regard my dear
It's all downhill from here

Octane

So, I'm wondering, is there any penalty in killing enemies?

Octane

Kidfried

Well, you get a ranking after your mission. It deducts points for killing enemies, right?

Regard my dear

Octane

@kyleforrester87 I see, thanks. So killing a soldier once in a while isn't an issue then.

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane Right, that's no problem at all. I'd advice to just play the game in any way you want and not be too concerned with how you should or think you should play it.

I'm usually quite the perfectionist in games, replaying levels when once I don't have a perfect run or miss out on something. But with this one I really enjoyed just living the adventure, improvising when I get spotted, sometimes running, sometimes shooting, sometimes hiding.

Hope you enjoy it.

Regard my dear

Octane

@Kidfried Yeah, I can be like that too. A skull popped up on my screen when I killed a guard and then I read about Snake/Big Boss(?)* growing horns.

*while looking it up, I saw that these are two different characters? It's even more confusing now lol.

Octane

KratosMD

@Octane Yeah that's why I told you earlier in the year that it would be better if you played the older games before playing this one.

Press the spoiler below if you want to know a little bit of backstory to that.

Big Boss is the original "Snake" and he is the one you play as in Ground Zeroes. He is basically the "father" to Solid Snake in MGS1 (Solid Snake is also the main Snake in MGS2 and MGS4). You play as Big Boss first in MGS3, then in Portable Ops, then Peace Walker and then finally Ground Zeroes. Then in TPP you play as Venom Snake. Also there's Liquid Snake and Solidus Snake of which you will find out more about in MGS1 and MGS2 but those aren't protagonists. Think that basically covers it.

This is precisely the reason why I wanted you to play the previous games first. You learn so much about the universe in just the first three games (MGS 1, 2 and 3 that is).

Octane

@KratosMD Hah, I know. But a good game should be playable on its own I think. Same applies to a good story.

Octane

KratosMD

@Octane But the only reason you were confused in the first place is because you looked this up on the internet, not because you found out about it in the game, right? So it's not the game's fault that you stumbled upon information that wasn't mentioned in the game.

Edited on by KratosMD

Octane

@KratosMD Well, if you're going to use names like Snake, The Boss AND Big Boss without context, I'm going to look up who is who

Octane

themcnoisy

@Octane Its different with MGS the story is functional as a stand alone game. However due to its convuluted and intertwined narrative based on fictional factions and characters over 30 years of games you would miss the importance of throw away sentences during an exchange.

in mgs 5, without prior knowledge of the series you have no idea whats the big deal with Ocelot, the effect and versions metal gear takes in the latter games, The backstory with major tom. The original big boss and her relationship as a triple agent, mother base and its relationship in mgs 2 etc etc. So you wouldnt have the same context as someone who has played through most of the games and would have to take it at face value.

There are also 4 different playable Snake characters who are all different people in the series all the way back to the msx original. But dont look too far into it as the games take place over 70 years and when originally conceived Kojima didnt necessarily believe the series would still be running so many years later. You are best playing a few games in the series in order to start making sense of whats going on.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic