Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 361 to 378 of 378

Kidfried

@themcnoisy That's the end of chapter 1 indeed. I'm indeed skipping the 'extreme' levels, just going for the story.

@Th3solution Yes, the gameplay is gold indeed! I have no problem with going through some extra levels to get to the end. But you mention repetition? I thought it just meant doing side quests and the likes. Or do you have to replay a lot?

I don't at all have problems sinking more time in this game. Metal Gear Solid games always felt so short to me, so I like this one being a bit longer actually.

@kyleforrester87 You didn't want to play further to see all the cut scenes after the trailer for chapter 2 at the end of the first?

I really loved Metal Gear Solid V so far. I liked it better than I had expected to. The gameplay is the series best and I think this one's the best stealth game I've played since Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (and that one was made a looong time ago).

Story wise I'm a bit less positive. Snake is way too silent. Not only did I always like Hayter's endless rambling in general. It was also refreshing to have a video game with a main character with that much personality, because most protagonists are way too silent. To hear Snake's reactions to decisions and events always strengthened the immersion. Especially knowing Snake's personality, some scenes were just so awkward with him not saying anything. Didn't they have enough money to pay Sutherland for more lines? Was it because of time constraints that it didn't work out? I don't know, but it's really a problem for this game. It wouldn't if this was a new video game series, but knowing Snake from MGS3 and Peace Walker, his personality here feels off. Another thing that bothered me was the way Quiet was handled. Beyond stupid really.

Make no mistake about it though, aside from that I think the game is really, really good.

Regard my dear
It's all downhill from here

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried Well I played for around 120 hours and I didn't feel like the story was interesting enough to play the remaining chapters. Parts of it were okay, but in the story department it was a far cry from the previous games. I really enjoyed the gameplay though but that was enough time spent!

His code name should have been Sleepy Snake. I loved David Hayter as much as the next MGS fan but I was positive that Keither Sutherland was going to put in a good performance as Big Boss. But having playing the game it's like he spent 3 hours in the studio recording. It's all Miller.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 Yea, it's just a waste. If Sutherland had lot of text I'm quite sure I could have really warmed up to him. But now it's one line of Snake dialogue once every two hours. Caught me by surprise every time he talked.

Oh well, it's Kojima. He's a genius and a fool at the same time.

120 hours is a lot more than I put into it by the way. But I tend to play through MGS games fast.

Edited on by Kidfried

Regard my dear

themcnoisy

@Kidfried Once the credits have run their course it will all become clear.

Forum Multiplat BGoAT coming February 2018
Forums Nintendo BGoAT 2017 - Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy.
Forums Playstation BGoAT 2016 - Uncharted 2, The Last Of Us, Witcher 3.
Forums Multiplat BGoAT 2015 - Final Fantasy 7, Zelda Ocari...

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 Keither Sutherland was going to put in a good performance as Big Boss.

Yeah thats a thing.

But you havent finished the game.

So errr I cant spoil it for you.

Forums Nintendo BGoAT 2017 - Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy.

Th3solution

@Kidfried There are literal exact repeat missions in the game 2nd chapter that are just “Extreme” or “Substinence” or “Stealth” versions of the original mission - the only variance being increased difficulty. However, some of the missions are unique, and I can’t remember if the Extreme missions are required to get to Ch 46. I played every single mission, 1-50. So I can’t remember which were skippable to still make it to the true ending.

Edited on by Th3solution

If the other guy is getting better, then you'd better be getting better faster than he's getting better, or you're getting worse.

themcnoisy

@Th3solution they are not mandatory. You only need to run the fresh missions.

Im gonna check if my save file is still on the cloud. I may have to rerun the whole game early next year.

Th3solution

@themcnoisy Yeah, I think I purposefully played all missions before doing the true ending one just so it would feel like closure at the end. I’m not usually one to play a lot of post game stuff after there is a conclusive final ending, so I got them all done first, as I recall.

If the other guy is getting better, then you'd better be getting better faster than he's getting better, or you're getting worse.

Kidfried

FINISHED IT! Chapter 2 was a bit of an unnecessary grind in some places, but it was well worth it. As unfinished, sometimes incoherent and weird it is... it is an excellent part of the game.

Chapter 2 really did a few important things: adding much needed story, fleshing out Quiet, explaining a lot of lore, redeeming Venom Snake.

Thanks for all the advice on here, by the way. Really helped me get more enjoyment out of this game.

Edited on by Kidfried

Regard my dear

Th3solution

@Kidfried Awesome! Congratulations! So regarding the true ending, what did you think?
I’m having trouble getting the spoiler tags to work, which is weird. So I’ll just be vague ... did you see it coming, the true ending? Did you feel closure? Did you like how it relates and links into the Metal Gear Universe?

Kidfried

I was so amazed by this game, and the ending. I thought that MGSV would just fill the gap year and the inevitable transition of Big Boss into who he is at the start of the first Metal Gear. Thankfully there was a lot more to this game.

I have to admit, though, that the end didn't take me by surprise completely. Due to a lack o a spoiler-tag I put my full of spoilers impressions on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/ryFgdaJT

@kyleforrester87 I think you, as a longtime MG fan, might really appreciate the second chapter too. It's full of great tidbits for fans of the franchise.

What did you all think about the base building stuff? I've never been a fan of it. It just felt like such a grind in this one.

Regard my dear

Th3solution

@Kidfried I agree with your assessment, although unlike you I didn’t see the end coming at all. But yes, all the deeper meaning stuff you mention was all very well appreciated by me as well.
As far as base building, I could see people thinking it’s kind of a grind, but I found it enjoyable nonetheless. It added a different dimension to the gameplay. Filling up the base with my soldiers was fun to me.
My biggest complaint, which I think I’ve mentioned, is the long loading screens when moving from area to area, even within Mother Base from one end to the other, with the helicopter rides. That got old quick.

Kidfried

@Th3solution I played it on the PS4 Pro and loading screens didn't bother me too much, they were rather quick. But yes, waiting for the helicopter to arrive, pick you up, go to the ACC, drop you off a few miles north, was cumbersome.

More annoying to me was the long intro to missions. I'm someone who often will replay a mission if things don't work out the way I want them. But man, having to watch the mission credits all over again was just dumb.

Filling up the base sure was fun in a way, but... I didn't like visiting the base itself. I would want to look at my caught animals after every mission, if the base was actually any fun to navigate. Other thing I disliked was that later on the grind gets really tedious. At which point you find out why: you can spend real world money to speed up the process. Come on...

(I can talk on and on about MGS all day by the way)

Edited on by Kidfried

Regard my dear

Th3solution

@Kidfried Ha, ha! Yes, I’m with you, man. All valid points.
Even as long as it’s been since I played it after launch, I enjoy talking about the experience too. Not a perfect game, but a really good one. One of my favorites this gen.

themcnoisy

@Kidfried great stuff and well done. The microbs werent properley realised when i played mgs pp, there wasnt an option to double down on exp or resources etc. The multiplayer was only just out i think by the time I was on my way to finishing the game.

It's a great game and im glad you and @Th3solution have commented alot of sense. I think we all admit the story is choppy at times and the game needs some serious fat trimming from its bloated obese carcass, yet taken with all its faults its one of a handful of games which has been truly next gen. Horizon is the only other open world game on ps4 in the same league for me.

For kojimas next game if it follows a similar template I want less unclimable mountains, stupidly long on foot journeys and less management sim.

I also love the fact the game is about language and the fact snake rarely talks. It all makes sense in the end.

Kidfried

@themcnoisy I fully agree on the game being one of the few real "next gen" games. The reinforcements are a great example. All reinforcements are actual soldiers from other bases, instead of newly spawned NPC's. And the changing of the guards at nighttime blew my mind too. Such a great experience.

Regard my dear

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic