Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 341 to 360 of 603

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 @Th3solution Thanks for the tips. I'm getting more and more into this game.

@NoCode23 There's a lot of blur in Metal Gear Solid V for sure. It must be really annoying games become unplayable for you as a result...

The update is mostly a very lazy update. It is supposed to be the 'Pro' update, but it hardly enhances anything. And I cannot remember new graphical options being part of the update, but I will check this for you later today to be sure.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 Yes, and I will be for some time I fear. Aside from not having a lot of time, I'm a real slow gamer. And I love just taking my time to do the side ops.

The game really feels like what Peace Walker should have been, by the way, game play-wise. I'll not judge the game's story until I finished it.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@Kidfried trust me bro I played it slow over a few months. I would not recommend it. You will see why in chapter 2. Trust me, try to get as far quickly as you can. You can then come back for the other stuff. Kyle played the gane like you and really went off it (theres 150 side missions?) and they are great set pieces at times but they WILL dampen the experience especially when new shiny games come out and your still fultoning c or b rated personnel. Again play as you want, you seem to like the game. But I would seriously try to knock story missions away quickly.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@Kidfried I have the same problem with slow game progress. No matter how hard I try, I seem to be so easily distracted, wanting to do and see everything. I really need to do better and follow the advice of @ShogunRok ‘s excellent article from a month or two ago about playing games more quickly and ignoring side quests in some of these huge games to (paradoxically) enhance the experience. I think I’d get through more games that way.
That being said, if you like the Quiet character, I do very much recommend the extra couple missions to see her separate ending. You’ll have to max your relationship with her as a prerequisite, iirc. I might be in the minority, but I found her story arc very worthwhile.
I’ll be curious what you think of the ending in general. (Hopefully you have managed to avoid spoilers to this point) Again, I really liked the ending, despite its obvious truncation due to the Kojima debacle, but it is a conclusion that I still ponder and think about many, many months later.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@themcnoisy @Th3solution I have big difficulties skipping content. I'm a completionist, an avid trophy hunter at times, afraid of missing important content and in general just someone who wants to know everything about the game I'm playing. This makes it really hard to ignore side quests. Especially since I grew up in the nineties, when games hardly ever lasted longer than 20 hours.

I should skip all the padding and useless side quests, but for some reason I find it difficult to change the way I've been playing games.

This is also the reason that it took me until now to start playing The Phantom Pain. MGS is one of my favorite game series and I had long bought the game, but it took me until now to start playing it. I've heard a lot of opinions on the game already, but have hardly been spoiled. So, I'm still very much curious to how Kojima has send off the series.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Im with you on the ending mate, im sure alot of the stupid comments about the story were from previous fans who never bought mgs pp (on other comment threads tbf not in pushsquare). The story is great, spread over 100 hours not so much lol.

Th3solution

@Kidfried I feel your pain. Not sure why I’m so obsessive as well. It’s why I’m terrified to start The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 0.
I did not platinum Phantom Pain, but did all the side quests. Basically I lacked getting S rank on all the missions and extracting all the wild animal species, among a couple other trophies. I’m guestimating but I think I put in about 80 or so, maybe less. It seemed to go by much quicker than 80 hours of a typical RPG grinding though. One of my favorite games this gen!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@themcnoisy Yup. And knowing the story and background of Big Boss and having played the other games really enhances the ending, of course. Perhaps those who are critical of the ending were not students of the franchise, which you really need to be to get the full effect.

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

@Th3solution The Witcher 3 is very considerate of your time. The game does not waste any and every side quest is carefully crafted. You'll likely invest 200 hours into this game before even finishing it, but trust me: you'll wish it lasted longer.

I know there's a huge risk of getting into this game with too high expectations after all this. I'm not going to say all praise is fair, because there is certainly room for improvement in this game. But it is the game of this generation that no one should skip.

The above can not be said for Metal Gear Solid V of course. It's a type of game that appeals to a specific niche of course. Whoever didn't like MGS3 will not like this game for sure. Not all games need a global appeal anyway.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Good to know.
I would echo that even as much as I like the MGSV (definitely in my top 10 this gen) the same praise cannot be said of The Phantom Pain. When you get to chapter 2, you may be put off by the missions, as many have mentioned. The narrative really needed to be advanced in a more efficient manner, but the gameplay is so blasted fun imo that I was not bothered by it.

Edited on by Th3solution

themcnoisy

@Kidfried @Th3solution strangely I started witcher 3 whilst playing mgs pp, fallout 4 and lego marvel 1 and was immediately put off by open world fatigue, I got maybe 2 hours and sold it shortly after and never even got a trophy. I think with the big open world games you need to be in the right frame of mind. I loved watchdogs 1, sleeping dogs, horizon now, fallout 3 and mgs pp but they were front and centre of my gaming time. If you go in half hearted it will always be a worse experience.

Kidfried

@themcnoisy True. I always try to alternate between big long open world games and short and sweet experiences. I didn't enjoy Watch Dogs at all by the way, but that might also be due to playing it right after Assassin's Creed IV back then.

I'm fully dedicated to Snake now, though. I got bored of Gwent, completed Dishonored, finished 5 SNES games and have seen all there is of Fortnite. So, it's just me and my bff Snake now.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@Kidfried thats the end of chapter 1 isnt it? (I cant recall tbh)

If your at chapter 2 skip all the 'hard' versions of levels and stick to the new ones.

Otherwise I cant remember and have forgotten. I was sure there was 50 though but I could be mistaken.

Th3solution

@Kidfried No ... it’s not what I would consider the true ending. That would be chapter 46, I think it is. This is where you get into the post game grind that many complain about I think. It’s been a while since I played the game so forgive me but I think this is where you play some missions leading up to the true ending and it involves repetition and may put you off. I didn’t mind, because I enjoyed the gameplay so much, but I really liked the true ending if you can get there. Also I think it’s chapter 45 is an optional ending for Quiet which I quite enjoyed and so I would recommend trying to complete that first if you enjoy her character. But that also takes going through quite a few prerequisites. Sorry, bro, but there’s more to do if you want the full experience.

Kidfried

@themcnoisy That's the end of chapter 1 indeed. I'm indeed skipping the 'extreme' levels, just going for the story.

@Th3solution Yes, the gameplay is gold indeed! I have no problem with going through some extra levels to get to the end. But you mention repetition? I thought it just meant doing side quests and the likes. Or do you have to replay a lot?

I don't at all have problems sinking more time in this game. Metal Gear Solid games always felt so short to me, so I like this one being a bit longer actually.

@kyleforrester87 You didn't want to play further to see all the cut scenes after the trailer for chapter 2 at the end of the first?

I really loved Metal Gear Solid V so far. I liked it better than I had expected to. The gameplay is the series best and I think this one's the best stealth game I've played since Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (and that one was made a looong time ago).

Story wise I'm a bit less positive. Snake is way too silent. Not only did I always like Hayter's endless rambling in general. It was also refreshing to have a video game with a main character with that much personality, because most protagonists are way too silent. To hear Snake's reactions to decisions and events always strengthened the immersion. Especially knowing Snake's personality, some scenes were just so awkward with him not saying anything. Didn't they have enough money to pay Sutherland for more lines? Was it because of time constraints that it didn't work out? I don't know, but it's really a problem for this game. It wouldn't if this was a new video game series, but knowing Snake from MGS3 and Peace Walker, his personality here feels off. Another thing that bothered me was the way Quiet was handled. Beyond stupid really.

Make no mistake about it though, aside from that I think the game is really, really good.

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried Well I played for around 120 hours and I didn't feel like the story was interesting enough to play the remaining chapters. Parts of it were okay, but in the story department it was a far cry from the previous games. I really enjoyed the gameplay though but that was enough time spent!

His code name should have been Sleepy Snake. I loved David Hayter as much as the next MGS fan but I was positive that Keither Sutherland was going to put in a good performance as Big Boss. But having playing the game it's like he spent 3 hours in the studio recording. It's all Miller.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 Yea, it's just a waste. If Sutherland had lot of text I'm quite sure I could have really warmed up to him. But now it's one line of Snake dialogue once every two hours. Caught me by surprise every time he talked.

Oh well, it's Kojima. He's a genius and a fool at the same time.

120 hours is a lot more than I put into it by the way. But I tend to play through MGS games fast.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Sorry, this topic has been locked.