Forums

Topic: Insomniac's Spiderman

Posts 161 to 180 of 254

Tjuz

Decided to start playing Spider-Man first from my Black Friday haul. I think I'm about 7-8 hours in and I've barely done any main missions so far (up next is May's party). I've just been swinging around doing thug crimes, radio towers, backpacks, landmarks, hideouts and the occasional side quest when they pop up mostly. I've fully cleared out the first three and am about halfway with the landmarks and hideouts. I'm really enjoying the activities as they give me an excuse to use the great webswinging and combat! I don't remember the last time a game was this fun for me. I'll definitely be treasuring my time with this one. Hope the main storyline will be as enjoyable as the exploration!

Tjuz

RR529

Just completed the mission that was showcased at one of the E3 conferences (the one with the helicopter chase), which was pretty cool. According to my save file I'm 48% through the main story, so I'm about halfway through.

As for side stuff, I've collected all Towers, Backpacks, Landmarks, Pigeons, Black Cat photo points, and have completed all Thug crimes, Fisk Bases, & all currently available sidequests. I only have one Research station left to do, but quite a bit of Demon Crimes (and of course the optional activities that haven't opened up yet).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@RR529 You're going fast lol. I got the game at launch and I beat it like 2 weeks ago.

Octane

RR529

@Octane, I've had a 4 day weekend because of Thanksgiving (which I just learned is going to be a 5 day weekend since my place of work is going to be closed tomorrow because of a snow storm we got today), so I've had a lot of time to work on it.

Of course, the fact that it's so enthralling & I only play one game at a time certainly helps.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

Great game. It reminds me of a mix between Spiderman 2 and Crackdown.

The majority of everyone here knows its great already of course but the locomotion in the game is bloomin brilliant!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@Cpt_Price Working, Learning databases and looking after kids. And playing on my 3ds lol.

starhops

@RR529 Spider-man surprised me on how much fun it is to play. If you like Spider-man's detail, wait until you play Horizon Zero Dawn. That game is gorgeous.

starhops

PSN: starhops

themcnoisy

@Cpt_Price I'm only 180 miles from you and in work until next Tuesday sorry pal.

RR529

I'm at 95% completion, so hopefully I'll be able to finish it over the weekend. While I'm not sure how I feel about the pacing of the stealth missions (I don't dislike them, but they seem to be very back loaded), it's been a great time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tjuz

I 100%'ed Spider-Man a couple of days ago. Pretty great game. The story wasn't all that for me, but it was serviceable and had a great ending. The obvious highlights of the game were the combat and webswinging, which were just so satisfying and so fun that I couldn't help but just 100% the game. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to resist my OCD gaming habits with this one and pretty much forced myself to finish any side activities before I played any main mission. Yes, that includes crimes, which I would play for 3 hours non-stop just to clear them out. Not too bad with the first and last wave of crimes, but the second one had only two different types of crimes and definitely got incredibly repetitive. Says volumes that I pushed through! I did very much enjoy the research stations, which were a fun way to really change up the gameplay within the realms of existing mechanics, and the Taskmaster challenges were fairly fun. I couldn't be bothered to get the highest level on all of them though. I was satisfied with getting silver. Black Cat hideouts were a bit of a missed opportunity for more, but I understand she's the main focus of the first DLC so I get that they wanted to keep her as a bit of a tease. I couldn't help but think about how she is pretty much exactly like Catwoman, though. Now, I'm not loyal to any comic book characters or franchise in the slightest.... but that did annoy me a bit. Maybe Black Cat came before Catwoman in the comic books, though? I wouldn't know. Silver Sable was probably my favourite minor character and I was also upset with how they handled her in the main game, but apparently she's the focus of the third DLC.... I sense a pattern.

Some fun villains too with Screwball and Tombstone. The big ones honestly didn't do much for me. I like that these minor villains had their own short little side missions and that was it. A lot of the main villains seemed more like a Greatest Hits-collection of Spider-Man villains than actually properly fleshed out characters, save the obvious two. This is coming from someone who has never watched a Spider-Man movie nor read a comic book though, so maybe existing fans of his would've been annoyed at too many in-game character arcs for generally well known Spidey villains. That said, the story was still a lot of fun to play! I did think the game's most epic level, which I'm sure people who've played it will know just from that, was a bit too busy and not very well constructed. I think that could've been a lot better than it ended up being.

Also, I seem to be in the minority on this one, but I quite enjoyed the (optional) puzzles as well as the stealth missions. I think they were a fun change of pace and nicely balanced out an otherwise possibly overbearing gameplay loop. They were quick and easy, which is exactly what they needed to be. I understand that most people wouldn't come looking for those things in a Spider-Man game though and would just experience it as a distraction from the fun they want to be having, but as someone with no real preconceived notions towards this property and getting to play enough quick, Spidey gameplay in my activity binges I was more than happy to see something different.

All in all, I realise I've been talking about a lot of the lesser stuff, but that's mostly because there's really not much to discuss about the core gameplay loop. It's satisfying and fantastic, and absolutely makes this game in every way possible. I enjoyed my time with this game a lot (or I wouldn't have 100%'ed it!), and I'll definitely take a look at picking up the DLC's once they're all out, unless the DLC shows up in the Christmas sale, in which case I'll have to pull the trigger right then and there!

Tjuz

RR529

Just finished it up!

Great game! I think they could have paced the boss fights & non Spider-Man stealth a bit better (both mission types were very back loaded, to the point that on more than one occasion, supervillains were teamed up & didn't get their own fight), but overall very minor complaints. Everything else from the combat, to the webslinging around the city, and the story were great (I even teared up during a certain scene at the end). Heck, I even enjoyed the little puzzles in the lab as a way to unwind. All the general Marvel references were neat too (whether it be the Wakandan embassy, Avengers Tower, Matthew Murdoch's business card, Jessica Jones' office, the obligatory Stan Lee cameo, and many more).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 You might wanna spoiler tag some of that.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

@Tasuki, I haven't bought any of the DLC yet.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

themcnoisy

So I'm upto chapter 3 and the game is fantastic but it really goes all out with trying to kill you at this part of the game.

Those flying sable enemies are so annoying. Relatively easy to beat themselves but when you have a few enemies around you they bomb you from above wiping out health. Then the game refuses to lock on to turrets and sniper perches! Due to wiping a good few times, the end game mop up is taking longer than one should reasonably expect and it's verging on frustrating.

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 It's not that simple. I can hold my own most of the time but on the odd occasion you are suddenly faced by too many attacks at once and due to the openworld - getting attacked from beyond the confines of a set piece. You can literally go from full health to dead in two seconds flat. Tbf the game is 80% done to completion

themcnoisy

Finally finished Spiderman. What a ride. Platinums bagged and I will download the cat woman DLC tomorrow. I just can't get enough of web zipping around .

Also the trophy list is brilliant. But what is even better is the ending; What a terrific story for a super hero game. Eclipsing most of the films and comics and setting up a sequel perfectly.

Edited on by themcnoisy

themcnoisy

@Jevon It is perfect. One thing about playing games for trophies blind; I didn't realise you had to save tokens for the suits. So spent loads of challenge points on all the gadgets before I realised. I had to 3* almost every challenge. This was one of the best parts of the game and I'm glad I ran Spiderman blind as I had to git gud. The stealth ones are the easiest I found after trying them 7/8 times you would have the timings to perfection (there's a ton of leeway in those challenges), then the bomb challenges, fighting and lastly the drone challenges as they have the least leeway to make a mistake.

Jev have you ran into any other boss games with great trophy lists mate?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.