Forums

Topic: Horizon: Zero: Dawn

Posts 721 to 740 of 787

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger perhaps i have yet to do the Proving so i am very early in the game, i will check later when i have the time to play my PS4 again today

and thanks for the info

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh blimey, yes, clear the Proving and then see. That kinda marks the end of the game's second prologue, and then you're able to crack on properly.

You're welcome! Hope it's all alright and that you enjoy the game!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger to be honest i was just hunting about in the first area for ages without progressing the story (i left Rost waiting for me for about 3 hours), it is SO much fun and i love the open world in this game

i think i'll be playing this game pretty much exclusively until DBZ Kakarot come out

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger so i did the proving and the first merchant i came across had all the DLC costumes and weapons and i checked the map and there is a huge white area up the top of it so it looks like you was right,

it's still odd that the code for the art book and theme also downloaded the DLC for the original version of the game though, i reached out the sony and the developer on twitter about it but no response as of yet

Ralizah

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, I basically put off most of the main story missions until I had no other choice but to engage them. The open world design isn't innovative at all, but it's fun hunting these machines and upgrading your stuff, and Aloy controls well, lack of proper climbing controls aside.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo It'll be interesting to see what Sony and Guerilla say about the random DLC download, but I'm glad all that content ended up being where it was supposed to be.

Especially since my reply was a total guess.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@Ralizah it may not be innovative but it is still a lot more fun than a lot of other open world games such as MGSV or any cookie cutter open world game ubisoft has pumped out over the past 10 years

Ralizah

@FullbringIchigo It seems very Ubisoft to me. It's a lot like Far Cry 3/4 in terms of the open world and the activities you engage in (particularly the hunting aspect), but with a much more creative setting and tons of visual polish. The MH-esque machine battles are what really distinguishes it, though. There's... really nothing like those battles in any other open world RPG I've played.

Still haven't played MGS V. I'm not good at stealth. I want my radar and vision cones from the first two games back, lol.

Edited on by Ralizah

FullbringIchigo

@Ralizah i tend to ignore MGSV whenever i can, it's an incomplete mess that throws away everything that made MGS what it was so if i was you i wouldn't bother with it

4 was a perfectly fine ending for the series

Ralizah

@FullbringIchigo I bought MGS V in a sale for $10 years ago. Ground Zeroes was actually my very first PS4 game. It was... absolutely beautiful. Well-constructed. But I sucked at it.

I won't really be approaching it from a MGS viewpoint. Like BotW was to Zelda, it seems to radically redefine how the series plays, so it's probably best to approach it on its own terms.

I never played 4, having never owned a PS3. Maybe one day Konami's pachinko business will dry up and they'll actually port the game to other platforms.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

@Gremio108 I saw from your comment on the WAYP article that your making good progress here. I’m curious to hear more impressions.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@Th3solution Short answer: one of my favourite PS4 games.

Long answer:

This game ticks so many boxes for me, I'm amazed I've left it so long to play it.

Robots? Check.
Dinosaurs? Check.
Robot dinosaurs? You'd better believe that's a check.

I think deep down I thought it would prove to be overrated and that's why I left it so long. An open-world game from a developer unproven at making open worlds? Nah, I thought. Well, I was wrong. What I really didn't expect was for this game to scratch the post-apocalyptic itch I've had since I finished Fallout 4. The setting is beautiful and the moments where you stumble across remnants of our lost civilization are deeply affecting, thanks to the score which, in a similar way to Red Dead II's soundtrack, kicks in quietly without you really noticing at first.

The combat is spot-on, and I'm loving the machines. More so than the humans, actually. If I could fault the game (and this is nitpicking a bit) I'd say the voices of the various humans aren't quite right. They're a bit too present-day, for example I came across one guy in the middle of the desert who spoke with a thick New York accent, and it was a bit jarring. I was expecting him to shout "hey, I'm walking here" at Aloy when I stepped across his path.

I'm planning to play it all the way to platinum, taking in the Frozen Wilds along the way. I could possibly see the gameplay loop becoming repetitive, but it hasn't happened yet and maybe it never will. The encounters with the various machines are far too fun and the approaches too varied for it to become stale any time soon.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Good to hear! It’s a rare thing when a highly touted game like that can live up to expectations. I played at launch, so I didn’t have any hype that had built up. I will say that I ran aground for a few months in the middle, I think the world was so big and I got a little bit of open world fatigue, so I went back and finished it several months later. When I returned is when I actually really appreciated it more. For one, I was trying to be too restricted in my combat approach and wasn’t exploring all the available options at first. Once I got crazy with using trip wires, rope casters, bombs, different arrows and ammo, etc, etc. - then the game really resonated with me better and my enjoyment ramped up. The enemies toward the latter part get pretty tough, which was another reason I was forced to use all the tools in the arsenal, so that helped make it fun. It sounds like you’ve caught on though already and the combat is unlikely to get stale on you. I enjoyed it right up to the end.

The story also becomes stronger toward the last third also, and once I made it over a mid-story lull, it ramps up nicely toward a really stellar conclusion, imo.

It’s fun to hear your thoughts, since you are a pretty late adopter. But sometimes it’s best to play a game when you’re mentally ready to enjoy it. There are benefits to both being on the front end and also to being able to enjoy it at your own pace when the buzz dies down.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@Th3solution Yeah, I've been mixing it up nicely with the combat options, except for the ropecaster which I took off my weapon wheel and subsequently forgot about until I rediscovered it on Friday. I've been surprised at the difficulty actually. In a good way.

The story is good without quite grabbing me just yet, but there is that bubbling feeling that it is all about to kick off. I've not advanced the main plot to be fair (at level 31 but not reached Meridian yet), instead I've been clearing areas as I go - bandit camps, cauldrons, whatever it throws at me really. I've enjoyed the side-missions I've encountered, especially the one with the village in the mountains where the machines are all tame.

Of course, everyone knows this, because I think I'm the last person on here to play it!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Octane

One thing I would like to see fixed in the next game is less audio files. They sometimes throw a bunch of them in a room for story telling, and you're just sitting there, hoping for interesting plot points to be revealed. But it doesn't make for fun or good gameplay IMO. It should be integrated more seamlessly, and maybe less files close together in a room, so you can keep moving.

Octane

Thrillho

@Octane God, that’s a game mechanic I hate, especially when they’re missable (and even more so if they’re purposefully hidden).

Nothing will ever top MGS5 for that; having to find a quiet corner to hide in to listen to a ten minute cassette about hamburgers was not my idea of fun.

Thrillho

Octane

@Thrillho Yeah, I really tuned out of the story near the end because of it.

Octane

HallowMoonshadow

You're level 31 and you aren't at Meridian yet @Gremio108?! I think I was half that in my first runthrough 😅

Glad to hear you're enjoying it though! I played it about a year after it released and I was concerned I wouldn't enjoy it as much either. Easily my favourite game out of Sony's output this gen

I think Push Square's review of Horizon was also the first time I'd heard of the site...

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Audio files in general are an incredibly lazy method of story-telling. Sort of an evolution of the hand-written notes you'd find scattered around in Resident Evil, although even that usually showed more signs of creativity (I forget the context, but I really liked the diary where each entry became more animalistic as the T-virus gradually destroyed the researcher's mind).

@Gremio108 The game's combat became instantly forgettable whenever humans were involved. The game's mechanics are built around fights with the robots, and it shows.

Kidfried

I think Metal Gear Solid V did really well with the cassettes. The categories made it pretty clear what was relevant for the story and what wasn't, and you could listen them at any later moment you please.

What I hate in a lot of these games is that you have to listen to them immediately, and it kinda feels like the game comes to a full-stop whenever you find one.

An example of what I hate is in Assassin's Creed. They kinda expect you not to find all notes in a certain area. So when they have some kind of environmental storytelling that they are so proud of that they don't want you to miss it, they kinda shove it into your face.

For example: You come across a camp with everyone dead, you see a cage that has been broken open, and some Hunter gear. The notes then go like "Dear mom, I am a hunter that lives in a camp and with other hunters in this game. With the hunting gear that is in the camp, I caught a lion and put it in a cage in our camp. I hope the lion doesn't escape, because then I might end up dead, just like my fellow hunters."

And then another note from another Hunter with kind of the same message. And you're like: Ubisoft, how stupid do you think I am that you need to spell it out for me like this.

And then there's the "feature" that if you get attacked while reading a note, the note disappears and you can't read it again. Even though the note is still on the table.

Me being burnt out on that game reay shines through here doesn't it? I would have stopped playing it already if I were on my own, but my partner really likes it.

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.