Forums

Topic: Horizon: Zero: Dawn

Posts 681 to 700 of 787

HallowMoonshadow

Those are some classy screen shotty's @RogerRoger ! Bravo!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks, but 99% credit to the developers. I just went "hey, that's pretty", lined up the camera and fiddled with lighting filters for a couple minutes.

It's such a testament to the visual quality of games right now, and what's capable in them. Being able to move the position of the sun, and see all the colours and shadows shift in real time across such a detailed environment, is jaw-dropping to me. In fact, it was a screenshot I'd taken in Horizon that caused a ten-minute argument with a colleague once; I was using it as my desktop wallpaper at work and he refused to believe it wasn't a promotional "bull-shot" that I'd found on Google.

Gosh darn it, this topic always makes me wanna start replaying Horizon...!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Yeah, that battle with the Glinthawk I captured looks just like a bullshot. I wouldn't have believed it was an actual in-game screenshot if I hadn't captured it myself.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

So, I got back to the game recently. I've now cleared out all of the bandit camps (and killed my affably psychopathic buddy Nil), overridden all the tallnecks, and am close to completing all of the side-quests, errands, and have one cauldron left to explore. Unsure if I'll entirely beat all of the side-quests before ending the game, but I'll absolutely be doing one or two more and exploring that last cauldron before I focus on finishing the story (the shadow carja king is sending an army to destroy my tribe, apparently, so I'm guessing the story is closing in on the final act; it's time to return to the pridelands and retake my throne from Sca... err, sorry; guess I have Lion King on the brain, seeing as that's my movie today ). I was originally planning on doing the DLC content before finishing the story, but I'd like to basically wrap up Horizon before Fire Emblem temporarily takes over my life. I still have a bunch of collectibles I need to grab, but I can save those for later: that platinum trophy ain't going anywhere.

I initially found the bandit camps to be kind of boring, but with the upgraded sneak attack and heavy stealth armor Aloy basically turns into the Predator, and it's quite funny picking them off one by one without ever openly revealing my presence.

Oh, and they haven't come out and said it yet, but I'm guessing Aloy is a clone of that scientist woman who came up with the Zero Dawn project?

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I'm glad I wasn't the only one who straight-up killed Nil. My best friend, who recommended the game to me, was horrified when I did. I remember saying to her "But he asked me to!" and being really confused that I'd somehow made the wrong choice.

I won't answer your other question. That's up to you to discover, although I do agree with your decision to play The Frozen Wilds after you've completed the main story.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Violence is the only thing that gave him joy in life. He's fundamentally unfit for life in a civilized society, which means he'd eventually lose control of himself and hurt people who don't deserve to be hurt. I think he realized this and wanted someone who he bonded with through violence and who saw his true face to deal with him, rather than to be put down like an animal by a society that completely rejects him.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Absolutely! It was the honourable thing to do, and (using another game's choice system to explain here) the "Paragon" option as I saw it. Thanks; glad it wasn't just me!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

All cauldrons explored.
All errands and side-quests completed (including that annoying one where you act as a supplier for a nutjob who guzzles machine oil and trips balls). The Shield-Weaver armor was a bit of a pain to get, but it's worth the trouble. Aloy is basically invincible now.
Basically the only things I have left to do aside from completing the main plot are hunting down the rest of the collectibles: vantage points, flowers, and banuk figurines. Oh, and complete my skill tree. Despite being level 53, I still have 15 points left unaccounted for, for some reason. That's all busy work, though.

I'm ready for the end of the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Enjoy it @Ralizah !

Seems I'm the only one who spared Nil however... I just couldn't do what you and Roger did

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I did, however, spare the dude in the Curious Proposal sidequest who lied to Aloy to get her to walk into an ambush, so I'm not completely cold-blooded.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oh, I killed him too... only kidding.

The vantage points are particularly gorgeous. Really enjoyed a peaceful afternoon just wandering about to find them but yeah, if you're ready for the endgame, I'd say trigger it.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger My problem with the vantage points is that they heavily involve the game's climbing system, and the climbing system is one of the few things I genuinely don't enjoy in this game. In general, the collectibles all involve hunting for climbing spots or pixel hunting, and it's just not terribly engaging or fun.

I'll definitely be collecting them all at some point, as I want the platinum trophy for this title, but they don't really add to the game for me.

Besides, one of the best things about this game is how naturally you stumble across really gorgeous landscapes as you're adventuring. The sights I've come across randomly beat the pants off any of the 8 or so vantage points I've unlocked so far.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I will admit that, as amazing as I think Horizon is, I fumbled climbing more times than I aced it right away (this coming from an experienced Uncharted veteran). For all the things the game does perfectly, there's just something... off about it. Still perfectly playable, and does little to dent the overall experience, but it wasn't as polished as it could've been.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Beats the awkward geometry clipping that passes for climbing in Skyrim, at least. Although this game allows you to Skyrim up some environments as well.

Thankfully, the game controls beautifully otherwise. Aloy's movement is SO responsive and tight, which, in general, seems to be missing from most "realistic" Western AAA titles I've played.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Agreed; when I recently replayed Uncharted 4 (without my fanboy launch window goggles on) I suddenly realised that, whilst Nate climbs like a gazelle, he walks like a drunk.

Given the balance of gameplay in Horizon, I'm so glad Aloy's the opposite way round.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Your Uncharted climbing skills won't help you here at all. You need Assassin's Creed climbing skills for this game. Felt that the physics or so between these two games were more alike.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Ralizah

So, I beat the game last night. I'll need a little while to process my thoughts. Was kind of underwhelmed by the last mission, though. It felt very... perfunctory, like they finished creating this great game and only dimly realized that they'd need to give it a closing act. And that last scene is massive sequel bait!

RogerRoger

@Kidfried That's actually true, good point. I've never owned / properly played an Assassin's Creed game before, but I did have a ten minute wander on a friend's copy of the Victorian London one (wanna say Syndicate...?) and found the traversal to be equally sketchy.

@Ralizah I thought that the ending was short, but also felt like it didn't necessarily need to be longer. There's obviously a lot more to do with the world they've created, but I felt enough satisfaction and closure for Aloy, at least for her first adventure. What I will say is that The Frozen Wilds DLC adds a surprising amount of information to the overall storyline, if not Aloy's personal quest, which I felt could've been saved for the basis of the sequel. It's nice that they actually make it narratively worthwhile, and not just some "meanwhile, in the mountains..." side story. So whilst it may not change your mind about the ending, it'll certainly give you a couple more tidbits to think about.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Syndicate is my favorite one! London, I've never even been there irl, is so beautifully made.

Anyway, I think that the parcours in Assassin's Creed is more like directing (as if you're telling them what to do) the character instead of controlling them (as in being the character).

It is something that took me very long to get used to with the series, but seeing as I've been playing all AC games these last 12 years, and the Prince of Persia game before it, it's something I've grown very much used to.

Clikbing in Uncharted even feels more convoluted to me now.

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.