Forums

Topic: Horizon: Zero: Dawn

Posts 641 to 660 of 787

Th3solution

Ha, ha, yeah I think this game has so many moments to reminisce about. Everyone’s got their own Horizon memory that they spontaneously created. For me, I got giddy when I finally obtained the Shield-Weaver armor and put it on and experienced it’s awesomeness while I charged into battle
at the nearest herd of corrupted machines.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Flaming_Kaiser

@Octane I really liked that somehow the first time i found a game with collectables that where usefull and not just a waste of time.

Flaming_Kaiser

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I think I locked myself from getting that armour set as I didn't collect one of the earlier pieces and when I went back to get it later, I could not get back to where it was.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder Its totally possible - its not something you get locked out of and, if I remember correctly, a trophy too and no trophies are missable. It maybe that you cannot find the right entrance to it and/or may have to approach from a different direction but I don't think any part was missable.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah Sorry for the delayed response to yours, was away from my computer for a day or so!

I'd disagree - I loved BOTW for what it was, I loved HZD for what it was so no complaints there. I do feel however, that each had flaws. For me, BOTW had a few niggles. Exploration was fun but I felt the rewards were limited. Shrines, seeds, occasional side missions etc. were fine but with such an amazing world to explore, I wanted more. Couple that with generic enemies that constantly respawn while your best weapons vanish, I thought I had little consequence in the world. HZD has its own issue with icon mania all over the map which diminished exploration.

I would also disagree with the environment in HZD. I thought there was a good level of environmental storytelling with a well thought out world. Each area had its own geopgrahy, cultures built around that geography, enemies that fit with that geography and indeed, stories that dealt with those elements and cultures. I wanted more of that - I loved seeing the flying beasties in the distance over the plain.

In terms of should they be merged - in terms of atmosphere and point, no, but I think there is a melding of the strong points of both to be had. I still feel there is a version of the best open world out there that hasn't been done yet. Anyway, they are both good games and I put a lot of time into both!! Enjoy!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

I thought H:ZD was great environmentally and had quite diverse selection of environments - although the DLC was set in one particular environment. It was pretty much see it, can get to it but I will admit, some cliffs, rock faces etc were not scaleable. Everywhere you went, there was something to do, something of interest and you were never too far from any action - whether that was Robot Dinos, Bandits or Wildlife needed to craft things. The enemies all had their distinctive behaviour and even reacted differently. For example, tear off a weapon with a well placed shot, that robot would change its attack pattern. Those harvester crab things would return to its knocked off shell if it can't find you, pick it up and put it on its back before resuming its task.

If I had any criticism at all, it would the RPG mechanics - most notably the lack of variety with armour and weaponry. Talking of Armour though, depending on the outfit, people would comment differently. Their comments were based on the 'tribe' of outfit you wore. Crafting weapons mid fight was great - not the first to do so and the fights themselves offered a lot of variety, a lot of strategy and creativity. Whether you set Traps first, Sneak up and go for a stealth blow first, maybe whistle to try and get the attention of one (or more) to come close for a stealth attack or maybe even Hack so they then turn on the rest and become an Ally against the rest of the horde. I loved firing arrows into canisters, watching a herd all run off together until a 'big' explosion took out the majority, using the environment, force the herd up a pathway with traps and or logs that would cascade down and kill most/all.

Despite being an Open World game, the story was very linear. Not that I am complaining although I had worked out Aloy's origins long before it was revealed. The data tapes filled in a lot of the lore and very little (apart from the 'obvious' story-centric ones) was necessary to the overall ark. Generally, they were 'relics' of the past, informing us of the way the world was and gave us some insight into the lives of the people long since dead. There are 'lots' in the open world to find - if you want - but the most interesting ones are those in the story missions. It made sense to have this method on the context of the game and its setting. It would have been odd to have a 'live' character and dialogue about things long since past that they shouldn't/wouldn't know about. I loved some of the descriptions of relic finds, objects that we know today but for them, they were archaeology items and had to interpret their usage...

The only thing I would change is the RPG elements and weapon variety. I can understand having a 'sniper' bow but find it illogical that a certain bow can only fire some arrows and another bow in exactly the same class can only fire a different set of arrows - even if they can fire at least 1 'common' arrow type. Why can X bow fire normal arrows, Fire arrows and Ice arrows yet another bow that is the same type can fire normal, fire and poison arrows? I think that you should have a bow that fires non elemental Arrows and another that fires any elemental arrows. As you level up, you can craft better, stronger bows to do more damage or some other RPG like system. It wasn't bad by any means - just could of been much deeper. With so few Weapons and so few outfits, All the lens/heart parts were pretty redundant - just clogging up your inventory until you sold them. The games economy wasn't great - not that it was a struggle to accumulate, but nothing needed to buy - at least not if you actually collected materials to craft ammo, potions and traps.

I loved the game and got the platinum in around a week. It was one of, if not my game of the year and can't wait for Guerilla Games to release a follow up...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy I mean it was like two years ago that I played HZD so it is most likely I'm getting things mixed up. Something to do with power cells?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder If I remember correctly, you had to collect 5 Power cells but, even if you missed them during your play through, they were all collectable after beating the game... I can't remember exactly where every one was, or the route back to collect any missed ones but every one was collectable after beating the game. If you are still playing, maybe search youtube to help...

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy I've not played the game in two years and no longer have it. I'm not even that bothered about it, I moved on with the rest of the game as I'm not really a completionist when it comes to video games, and stop playing whenever I feel I've had enough from a game.

Ralizah

So, I'm level 29 now and have decided to move on to the second half of the continent. Apparently I'm supposed to be heading to a city called Meridian. In the meantime, I completed another one of those dungeons, hacked a second longneck, have fully completed all activities at three of the hunting grounds, indulged in a mess of side-quests, and, finally, spent an hour and a half trying to kill some terrifying thing called a Thunderjaw. I found out pretty quickly that, while they take a LONG time to kill, you can remove their ranged weaponry pretty quickly with some well-placed tearburst arrows. It also has a thing on its back, I believe, that can be picked up and used against it. I had a hell of a time trying to hit its heart, and, in general, I feel like I just ended up wasting a bunch of resources in my fight with the thing.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah I think I was level 12 when I arrived in Meridian lol. Going there felt like the first 10% of the game to me.

Octane

Th3solution

@Ralizah @Octane Yeah, here’s where it may be possible that you’ll see that level imbalance that I referred to earlier, because I did a similar thing where I hung out in the early map sections for a good while mopping up side quests and collectibles and then it seemed like when I got back on track with the storyline that the difficulty dropped back down a little bit. It’s a common issue with these open world games I guess, but it seemed almost like it was hard not to be over-leveled by the time you arrive in Meridian because it’s so far away on the map. I suppose some gamers can ignore all the spontaneous encounters on the way.

Fortunately even at level 29 I think you’ll still have a small amount of challenge on some of the story missions (if memory serves), but you’ll find the more legit challenges in the random encounters while being out and about and in the optional activities.

And yeah, the disc thrower weapon thing-a-ma-bob they you can dismantle is helpful to pick up and use against the beast as it’s quite powerful but only lasts a few shots. But it looks like you figured that out already 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

I found the Tearblaster great for blasting off armour and stuff from machines. Very useful against the harder enemies. You don't unlock until a bit later in the game, another thing you wanna bear in mind if only doing side missions. But that could be a side mission that unlocks it, so I could be talking out of my rear end as usual!

BAMozzy

@Ralizah You can use your sight to see the path a Thunderjaw is following and place a LOT of traps all in one place along that path so as the Thunderjaw triggers them, they all go off at once taking off a good amount of health in one hit - saves wasting a LOT of ammo. As you have discovered, you can tear off its weaponry too and use that to get a LOT of damage in as well.

To tackle the 'big' enemies, you really do need to scan them, find their 'weak' spots, what elemental damage (if any) they are weak too. Not every part of these is the same - for example a part of the beast is not 'weak' to anything but certain parts are weak to Fire. That will help you target certain areas with the right Arrow type for example and, if you do use traps, you could remove some armour plating to reveal weak spots. Once you know all of this (you can also check in the menu once you have scanned one), the next step is to make sure you have everything ready - the right weapons with the right damage types - and have crafted the maximum permitted. My first shot against the Thunderjaw was with a Tear blast arrow aimed at the weapon on its back - thus eliminating that as a 'choice' for the Thunderjaw to use against you - meaning you can also now pick it up and use it against the Thunderjaw. After that its either using the tear arrows to rip as much armour and cannons mounted on its head before switching weapons to kill it - including the slingshots too...

Ralizah

Level 32 now. Got blazing suns at four of the hunting grounds. Those stealth trials were ridiculous. Particularly the one where you're given two minutes to stealth kill four watchers in the middle of a jungle filled with stalkers and those crab robots. Ugh.

I've been completing side missions all day, but stuff keeps opening up. I somehow have more side quests to complete now than I did hours ago.

So, how did everyone play the Olin situation?
I spared him. His actions were monstrous, but it's difficult to judge someone who is acting to protect their family. Killing him wouldn't have accomplished anything good.

On the other hand, in the side quest for the lodge where the Snapmaw hunters were inadvertently causing the Glinthawks to terrorize a nearby village, I decided to just go ahead and kill them all. They had no sense of compassion or concern for the people who they were hurting whatsoever. People like that don't deserve to be compromised with.

Great game. I can just lose myself in it for hours.

I gotta say, the dissonance between Aloy's willingness to help people in main story quests and in side quests is pretty jarring, though.

Erend: guy I know; helped me get into the city; helped me to track someone down Someone killed my sister. Will you please spare five minutes and help me find who killed her?
Aloy: Not my problem.

relents only after he pleads with her

two minutes later

Random guy in the street: Someone broke into my house and stole a sword!
Aloy: Tell me everything you know. I'll get right on that!

@BAMozzy Those blast wires are brilliant. I pretty much only use those, spear attacks, and one hardpoint arrow (to knock off that gun component) to deal with the Sawtooths now. It's pretty fun watching the stupid things back off and glower because they're afraid of getting near the nest of blast wires I almost instantaneously string up around me.

Edited on by Ralizah

klky

I think the universe is telling me I need to get HZD. I hesitated during last week's Days of Play promotion. Then today it's announced that it'll be included in the new PlayStation Hits lineup out next week. I'm fresh out of excuses!

klky

Th3solution

@klky It’s a great game. If you’re knee deep in Red Dead still then it may just be too much as both game have really large open world maps. Their similarities end there, but both can be time sinks. But yeah, with HZD now a “Greatest Hits” you’ll be guaranteed a decent price no matter when you want to buy it. Since you seem to like third person open world, you should give it a go.

klky

@Th3solution Yes it certainly seems like a great game. Just wasn’t quite ready to pull the trigger during DOP, especially as I’d already picked up a limited edition PS4 slim and 3 games. Now that HZD is part of “Hits”, I can get it when I’m ready. Cheers.

klky

Thrillho

This thread makes me want to replay the game so much. I bought the DLC in a sale ages ago but struggled to get back into the combat after so long away, and especially as I was going back into it post-game so the enemies were at quite a high level.

Thrillho

Ralizah

So, I'm nearly level 38 now.

Just purchased the heavy winter gear (for when I get around to the DLC content, which, I am to understand, is quite wintery) and the heavy stealth gear (to replace the medium stealth gear I've been using until this point). I wanted to nab the heavy defensive gear, but it requires a Shell-Walker heart, and I avoid those machines whenever possible because they're a royal pain in the tush to fight. I guess I'll be grinding Shell-Walkers for hearts, then (they're random drops, right?). I'm tired of getting in massive brawls with Behemoths, Sawtooths, Snapmaws, and Thunderjaws, sometimes all at once, and basically having nothing to protect me aside from copious numbers of potions, which has ripped a gaping hole in my animal meat supply.

Oh, the Thunderjaws are easy to kill with their disc launchers. I've gotten killing them down to an art now. Another parallel to Monster Hunter: I go from struggling to survive against new enemies to systematically dismantling and killing them before they have much of a chance to do anything.

The behemoths are still hard, though. So far, my go-to strategy with them is spamming fire arrows (especially the corrupted ones) and tricking them into charging into my Home Alone-esque mess of blast wires and proximity mines.

I've gotten full suns at all of the hunting grounds, which netted me some neat new weapons.

I think I have one more Tallneck (not including the one that appears to be in the DLC area) to hack, and then I'll have the entire map revealed.

Still have only completed two of the dungeons. I think those might be next goal, interspersed with various errands and side quests.

Cleared four of the bandit camps now. I don't think there are too many more. I'll get to the rest of those soon as well. Combat with humans in this game is pretty mediocre, though, so I don't get a lot of joy out of clearing camps like I did in Far Cry 4 (and Skyrim, where, hilariously, I got to the point where I could clear out an entire room full of mooks from the doorway).

I've not been making as much progress on the collectibles, unfortunately. I think I have half of the metal flowers and most of the vantages, but I've only found two of those little deer statues so far.

I haven't really done anything re: the main story quests since helping out Olin's family. I think I'm supposed to be tracking down Aloy's mother... or something? I dunno. I'll get to it eventually. Maybe after the DLC expansion. Can I do the Frozen Wilds content at any point in the story?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.