Forums

Topic: Horizon: Zero: Dawn

Posts 481 to 500 of 787

Quintumply

Thanks for the replies, guys! I actually knew about the side quest characters playing into the final mission to a degree, but once I became invested in the final stretch of the story, I really just wanted to plough through to the end. Didn't really feel like breaking that and trudging through some low level quests just for a trophy.

Tempted to do the hunting lodge stuff, as the combat is probably the best part of the game and it at least gives you some practical rewards. Might be worth doing ahead of the DLC.

@Octane I didn't mind the audio diaries towards the end but there were a LOT, so I can definitely understand some people not enjoying it. Aloy's dialogue overlapping audio diaries was annoying though, for sure.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Quintumply The Audio diaries in the 'quest' missions are quite interesting as they give some background story as to what was happening in that place before and leading up to the 'collapse' of mankind. Most of the ones you find whilst free roaming are interesting but didn't find many to be essential' - just the ones that are associated with a 'collectable' viewpoint..

Most, if not all the side quests are not 'worthless' and either lead to a reward, a trophy and/or tie in to the final mission. Most of the side quests are not, shall I say tokenistic or 'filler' either. Not saying all will have a lot of depth or lead to a significant reward but generally, I can only think of one that was a 'fetch' quest. I know some of mine were very easily completed, just because I had some items in my inventory but overall I didn't really mind doing any as I had so much 'fun' en route. A lot also were multi-faceted - what started off as a go here and search, then becomes the next facet, and then maybe another after that. The Cauldrons are definitely worth doing!! I really hope that the DLC has at least 1 or 2 Cauldrons to do...

All of the Audio logs can be replayed from the menu if you miss some because of in game noise - like Aloy speaking over these.

I know what you mean though about wanting to see how the game ends but I also wanted to ensure that as I embarked on that final mission, I had accomplished everything. I didn't want to be left with a few outstanding missions or collectables as I thought I would probably end up jumping to the 'next' game on my playlist and not sure I wanted to do the 'final' mission again and again to get the Platinum when I could just do the final at the end of my adventure and get the Platinum - which I did...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

starhops

@Quintumply I really enjoyed all the Cauldrons and the Hunting Lodges. Each requires different strategies to complete and the final boss of the hunting lodge trials is a blast! I can't wait for the DLC and it would be nice to have a NG+

starhops

PSN: starhops

ApostateMage

I remember loving the side quest/errand, Aquired Taste, which involved Aloy having to get 'machine blood' for some crazy hermit in a hut because it game him visions.

ApostateMage

nathanSF

@Quintumply It was such a fun game I just went around and did all the side quests I could find just to have an excuse to stay in the game. Oh, did you collect all the bits to get the super-outfit?

Edited on by nathanSF

IwriteSci-Fi

Twitter:

nathanSF

@Quintumply
Excellent.
I came across it when I was already well over halfway into the game - which was probably a good thing as I'd collected and messed about with a veritable wardrobe of outfits and settings. So it was a relief to find something I could just throw on and not think about.

IwriteSci-Fi

Twitter:

BAMozzy

Interesting video about the 4k PS4 Pro tech for this game.....

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Splat

@BAMozzy - If I could only show one game on the Pro to someone it would be Horizon every time. I put 80 hours into that game and was still shaking my head in disbelief at times while playing. A linear gaming looking that good is one thing but an open world game is freaking amazing.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew

BAMozzy

@Splat On Pro, its probably the best looking game. I would say though that if we were looking at just PS4, then Uncharted 4 would be my pick to show what the PS4 is truly capable of delivering in terms of visuals but as its only 1440p on Pro, its a bit soft around the edges comparatively. The Witcher 3 is also a fantastic looking game with some stunning sunrise/sunset views and the Blood and Wine DLC is incredible too. I think Horizon wins on PS4 Pro though because of the higher resolution and great use of HDR. Neither Uncharted or Witcher 3 can match up to its resolution - even though its only rendering 50% of the 4k pixels with each frame and technically speaking, that's only a bit more pixels than the 1440p of Uncharted. Of course Horizon is still delivering a full 4k image (no upscaling) by pulling the other 50% to make up the full 2160p rather than 're-draw' these every frame. Uncharted adds HDR too but with only (I say 'only' but its still quite a jump up from 1080p) 1440p and then upscaling to fit the screen, some of that sharpness is lost but still a stunning visual presentation. Witcher 3 though is only a 1080p and no HDR (currently) so that has even more 'softness' as 75% of the image is interpolated pixels as part of the upscale algorithm which softens edges.

Anyone who questions why we 'need' 4k and/or HDR visuals, just needs to look at Horizon:ZD and I expect Days Gone to be another showcase that shows of 4k HDR too. I can see where Uncharted: Lost Legacy can really make use of HDR - the night-time settings on the roof with the neon and fires glowing for example. Its visuals like these that actually stop me 'playing' and just admire the breathtaking visuals on display.

nathanSF

I'd buy the Pro just for this game if I could have afforded it. All the technojargon aside it was the most visually beautiful game I've played and forced friends who had no interest in gaming to watch me wander round. A couple of my friends, geezers like me, were really truly surprised at how far the technology had developed. I resisted the temptation to slot in Uncharted 4.

IwriteSci-Fi

Twitter:

kyleforrester87

Just Cause 3 does look pretty pants in places after playing Horizon. Can't believe it, but 1080p now hurts my eyes. What a life! lol

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

BAMozzy

@kyleforrester87 Funny that LOL and people still say why do we need 4k HDR...

Octane

When did we get the option to toggle map icons on and off? I wish I knew this earlier.

Anyway, I discovered I'm still missing one trophy, so I'm going back in and get the platinum in preparation for the DLC tomorrow.

Octane

starhops

I started a NG+ this weekend on Ultra Hard. It's way more fun as the difficulty is super ramped up. Machines see you from really far away (as how I imagined they would when I played the game first run, but they didn't) and because they are so much stronger, the battles are really fun and difficult. Most of the strategies I used first run are pretty much worthless, which is just what I love about the NG+ UH mode.

One thing I don't care for is the respawn after you clear an area and save. If you end the game and come back, all the machines are respawned. That's pretty tough when you're dealing with Stormbirds and Thunderjaws LOL! May I say, resources are your best friend. I seem to go through them much faster now. I don't mind the more realistic approach of harvesting resources to continue though.

DLC tomorrow! BAM!

starhops

PSN: starhops

Kidfried

@starhops That's good to hear. I needed some motivation to try it out, so thanks. I'll definitely try it out now. (However, first I'm going to finish Phantom Pain.)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.