Forums

Topic: God of War OT

Posts 321 to 340 of 807

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 Is that one of those enemies that come through a portal? If so it is probably best to come and face it later. Although possible to defeat it now, it would be very difficult. You can come back to most areas later on, so I would not worry about missing out on anything.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but have you noticed the colour of the enemies power bar? That does mean something. Enemy power levels can be found above the targets once they take damage, showing its health bar. The color of the health bar indicates the enemy’s power level. A good practice to take is having Atreus shoot an arrow at an enemy to reveal its power level if you’re unsure how strong it is.

Here are the various colors and what power level they indicate.

Light Green - Kratos > Enemy by 2+ levels
Dark Green - Kratos > Enemy by 1 level
Yellow - Kratos = Enemy
Orange - Kratos
Purple - Kratos
Purple + Skull - Kratos

If you’re wondering what enemy power levels affect, they determine the amount of damage taken normally and when Kratos is in Spartan Rage mode. How an enemy reacts to attacks changes as well. If you’re on par with an enemy, Atreus’ arrows have a higher chance to distract or stun it.

The amount of burn, frost, shock and stun damage decreases the higher the enemy’s power level is in relation to Kratos. But the most important way power levels affect battle is what can be blocked. If you come across a purple enemy, there’s a good chance that it will kill Kratos in one shot even when he’s blocking.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@RR529 Like @JohnnyShoulder says, you have to come back to take those guys on later. I’m a stubborn bugger and was sure I could take them in anyway.

I really couldn’t.

It makes it all the sweeter when you do come back and blitz them later on though.

Thrillho

RR529

@JohnnyShoulder, yeah, I know about the color coding indicating enemy strength in relation to Kratos, I just didn't know the rift was going to be a fight, and the enemy came out swinging, so I didn't have time to react, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WiiWareWave

Woah! When did God of War join the PlayStation Hits lineup? I might just purchase the game now. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I hear the PS4 title is vastly different so it's pretty tempting.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Thrillho

@TowaHerschel7 Definitely do. It’s very different from the rest of the series but with lots of nods to the old games for people who have played them.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@TowaHerschel7 I didn't really like the previous games but enjoyed the hell outta this one. Enough so to get the plat which is rare for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Genrou

Well some sad news today former WWE Superstar and actor who did the mocap for Kratos in God of War Shad Gaspar's body was found this morning on a beach. He was swept out to sea this past weekend along with his 10 year old son. His son made it after Shad told the lifeguard to save his son before him.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends at this time.

@get2sammyb Kinda surprise there wasn't an article about this.

Edited on by Genrou

Genrou

nessisonett

@Genrou Yeah, I honestly expected an article about it, he was a huge part of that game and honestly my childhood as well, used to watch him with John Cena. Truly horrible.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Genrou

@nessisonett Right especially since it's been reported that he died a hero making sure his son was saved first. I mostly remember him as one half of the tag team Cryme Tyme and their back stage antics.

Genrou

Th3solution

Well, I’m over 2 years late to party, but I finally took the plunge on God of War. So far, my main observation is what horrible parenting skills Kratos has. It’s as if he’s never heard of positive feedback. 😛

The game is beautiful though and the single camera thing is pretty cool. It’s as if the whole thing is being filmed by someone following Kratos with a video camera.

I’m not far in, but just fought the second miniboss of the game, some annoying dude named The Stranger.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I can’t believe I never noticed that The Stranger was Jeremy Davies, from Justified and the Arrowverse!

Th3solution

@nessisonett Yeah, he apparently won a BAFTA for his GoW performance.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution Enjoy! Such a fantastic game thanks to some fantastic writing and some really fun combat.

Have you played the original trilogy?

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho I’ve played some of it. I played GoW1-3 and Ghost of Sparta, all ages ago. I never played Ascension.

ralphdibny

@Th3solution I've ordered it too as it was £8, I think I will play the prior 6 games first though... Could be an interesting December!

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny @Thrillho
The original games are definitely classics, although I’d consider them slightly overrated. I know that statement sounds contradictory, but I guess what I’m saying is that they were seminal games which influenced action gaming for years to come, and they were good fun and ushered in a renewed interest in Greek mythology as well. Video games, movies, and books seemed to draw upon the Olympian gods for basis of new properties, and I think God of War seemed to be at the helm of it all. As far as gameplay, the GoW DNA is pretty clear in games like Kingdoms of Amalur, Dante’s Inferno, and even DMC and Bayonetta. However, I always had a problem with the character and narrative development in the GoW series. Kratos was just so angry. Part of my issue was his one-sided rage. He didn’t seem relatable because he was this testosterone-fueled one man god-slaying wrecking ball who seemed more than slightly mad. And I guess that’s the point, but it was exhausting for me to play as him. I felt no inspiration, resolve, or satisfaction from completion of each step in his journey. Sure, other games also have broken and hopeless protagonists, but at least you feel empathy from their story or you learn something and the character grows. I don’t recall any inner progression of moral strength or resilience; Only revenge.
So far the 2018 reboot appears to have remedied that and I’m really excited about it. So far it seems to be living up to the praise as it’s so well produced and I already see a fantastic storyline and character study developing. The music and the visuals are downright fabulous and I’m only a couple hours into it.

Mega-Gazz

@Th3solution Agreed with what I think you’re getting at - Pong was a revolutionary game, a classic that pushed limits and changed (started) gaming, and is a part of history.... but I really don’t need a PS5 port, thanks. It is now dated and there are better things out there.

Mega-Gazz

nessisonett

@Th3solution I binged the trilogy before playing GoW2018 and honestly felt the same. They’re relics of a bygone era, not complicated enough to be as fun as Platinum games and too complicated with dull puzzles to be light and breezy enough to fly through. Kratos is a terrible character until the reboot, the one-note revenge gets old after the first half of the first game and the childish approach to violence and nudity without any plot relevance did my head in. You’re supposed to be avenging your dead wife and child but can partake in a sex minigame to earn rewards? Nonsense. The best take I’ve seen on Greek mythology I’ve seen in games is definitely Hades, nails that family soapy backstabby nature of the Olympians. Plus it doesn’t leave out all the gay bits from the original works that were omitted over the years.

Thrillho

@Th3solution Playing the original games is not essential to be able to enjoy the “reboot” but there are little fan service nods which I appreciated.

@ralphdibny Playing the original games isn’t really essential for this other than the nods I mention. The combat mechanics are completely overhauled and the RPG elements are new too so don’t worry about HAVING to play the other games first. I played the reboots on PS3 and they’re relatively easy platinums too if that’s your thing.

Thrillho

Thrillho

@ralphdibny The first game has a speed run trophy (under 5 hours) which even I managed to get!

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic