Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,795

Thrillho

Is there someone out there who can offer a little advice on MLB The Show? Apologies in advance for almost certainly getting some of the technical lingo wrong too!

I've almost exclusively been playing Road to the Show which has been a good way of getting used to the game (not a fan of the coach moving to centre field though) but have an issue with the running in the game. If I ever make a hit and work my way around the bases off other hits, whenever I make it home, I always seem to get caught for trying to steal base.

The worst example was that I made it to second off my hit. I then made it home off the next hit but it was given as a double play even though I'd made it back way before the ball was thrown to fourth. There were no outs prior to that so I cannot figure out what is going wrong..

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger wrote:

@JohnnyShoulder Oddly enough, I was playing Just Cause 4 the other day and wondered why it looked much more vibrant than I remembered. Turns out HDR had been deactivated, either via an update or by myself late last year. The difference was like night and day; with it switched on, it's hideous.

I think it really does depend on who's responsible for implementing HDR support on a game-by-game basis, as well as your own personal preference. As @LN78 states, Horizon and Detroit get the balance spot-on, at least in my experience. Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy were also examples of great HDR support, I thought.

@RogerRoger @LN78 That is good to know guys, as was beginning to think did I really need to wait till ps5 is out to appreciate the improved visuals for gaming that my TV had to offer.

I've still got Uncharted 4 to play so that will give me another reason to play it. Won't be a while yet having just finished Tomb Raider.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, don't follow Lara with Nate. They're the same tune played on different instruments, and so it'll only drag both experiences down a notch or two.

Whenever you do get around to it, though, I hope it looks as stunning as you expect it to!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@Thrillho when the ball is caught in the outfield the base runner has to run back to the base he was originally on (say second base in your instance) when it is caught and go for the next base at that point. If a catch is likely in the outfield you are best waiting on base until its caught and run like the wind!

If you didn't have this rule in the big leagues you would get a ridiculous amount of runs per game on sacrifice fly balls.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Thrillho

@themcnoisy Thanks man, I eventually realised what it was I was doing wrong! Sometimes it can be really hard to tell what is going on out in the field when you're playing Road to the Show. I've finally found holding L2 lets you track the ball but then you can't see your guy.

I am awful at stealing bases as well

Thrillho

themcnoisy

@Thrillho me and you both bro. I haven't started 19 yet but I maybe stole 2 bases in 35 hours of 18! The Show 19 will more than likely my next game once I finish off a few more Trophies in Fist of the North Star so once that's done we can run some Trophies together.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nice Medievil write up on the demo, I have only just read it.

I just love it when gameplay at its core is as simple as Medievil. Just go there and best the monsters.

Looking forward to it's release.

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Glad you enjoyed reading it @Kidfried!

There'll probably an article on it later (Maybe) but there's a Disgaea 4 Complete+ demo on the PSN store now. It's 2GB which is pretty small for most demo's. No idea how long it is though!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

FullbringIchigo

So we have finally reached the point where the Lord of the Rings films are old enough that they are no longer being used in the designs of the video games

i knew this day would come but i'm so used to the film designs now it strange to not see it

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

mookysam

@FullbringIchigo It's crazy to think how old the films are now (which makes me feel old). They're such iconic designs.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

FullbringIchigo

@mookysam i know right, it so strange not seeing them now

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

So I've dabbled with HDR on a few games, and I'm not entirely satisfied with the results. Plus it does this annoying thing when a trophy pops up the screen goes black and the sound cuts out, which doesn't happen when it is turned off. Not a huge problem but has meant I've missed bits in cut scenes. I've tried mucking around with various picture settings but I'll be leaving it off from now on.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder My tellybox doesn't briefly cut out for trophies, but it does when switching between HDR and non-HDR elements. I'd definitely deactivate it were it to interrupt any cutscenes mid-game. Must be different for each make and model of television, I guess, but HDR is absolutely up to personal taste anyway, so if you're not a fan, then you're not a fan.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I assume it is because my ps4 is not the pro version, so every time a trophy pops up it thinks it is non-hdr content. Or something like that. For films and tv hdr with 4k is stunning. But for gaming just hdr seems a bit of an acquired taste.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Ah, yeah, if you're having a good time with TV and films, then it might be the base PS4's implementation of HDR, rather than HDR itself.

Each to their own; I have some games where it's on, and others where it's off. Even with a PS4 Pro, or when it comes to the next generation, I'll likely still be judging each game individually and making separate decisions based on what looks "right" to my eye.

Making It So Since 1987

redd214

So guys tomorrow is N7 day, EA just said a bit back that they're looking to do more remasters.... Is tomorrow the day?!!?!! 🤔

redd214

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeah that is what I'm thinking. I've not played a game where I've noticed a vast improvement yet, so I'm gonna leave it off for now.

Octane

@FullbringIchigo Imagine a Witcher 3-esque game set in the LOTR universe. Why hasn't this happened yet?

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Octane Or even better a LOTR game done in the style of Knack. I'd buy the ultimate edition of that.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo

@Octane that would be awesome although we did get a Lord of the Rings game done in the style of FFX and that was great

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic