Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 781 to 800 of 1,795

Kidfried

@Th3solution I think the episodic game has been replaced by the GaaS game completely. It has, when done right, all the good elements of episodic games:

• new content coming out regularly
  • devs being able to respond to feedback from the fanbase
  • building piece by piece relatively quickly

Obviously, like the episodic game, we see the games as a service struggling a lot of the time too.

I think no one really wants episodic games, when you think about it.

Kidfried

Thrillho

After finishing Hellblade, I needed something to dip into that isn’t too heavy as I’m going on holiday early next week so didn’t want to start a story heavy game.

I gave Onrush a go and did all the training levels to get a feel for it and I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing Any takedowns seemed pure fluke rather than skill. And AI vehicles seem to land on me witch alarming regularity while I didn’t do it once to then.

Quite a sensory overload as well that game. Pretty much the antithesis to Hellblade!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Frigate Er... yeah, learn roughly how long it is and push it sooner.

It really is a pain, isn't it? The fact that it varies from game to game, too, depending on what's happening in the background makes it especially frustrating. In some games, it's instant but in others, where things are being loaded during a cutscene or whatnot, there can be almost four seconds of delay.

That's something I hope Sony can fix on PS5, although I doubt it's high on their feature list.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Frigate No need to express it; I share it, all too often.

It's why I gravitate towards games with a Photo Mode, because then you can freeze the action and get the shot just right, rendering the PS4's lag harmless. It just swaps out one issue for another, namely trying to activate Photo Mode at the perfect moment to get the best shot... grr, they don't make this easy, do they?

Here's hoping the PS5 is butter-smooth, particularly when playing PS4 games. That's where it should be practically instantaneous (emphasis on "should").

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Frigate I wouldn't hold mine, either. All that power will probably be scraping statistics from your gameplay and sending them back to Sony so that they can target PS Store adverts at you.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Frigate Can't help you with your request, alas, but I can chuckle in agreement with your assessment of the PS Store's recommendations. My personal favourite was:

"Players who played Sonic Mania also played GTAV and Alien Isolation."

Sufficed to say, I didn't take up either suggestion.

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@Frigate @RogerRoger This might not work for some reason, as I've never tried it, but couldn't a solution to not getting the perfect screenshot be saving the video, and then screenshotting it from there where you can pause? Just a thought.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Great idea; thank you for suggesting it.

Alas, even with everything set to maximum, a PS4 captures video at a lower resolution than it captures screenshots. When you're playing back the footage, pausing it places an icon in the bottom-left of the frame. In other words, it's certainly possible, but it isn't ideal as you'd get a fuzzy screenshot in need of cropping, rather than a "pure" and crisp image directly from the game.

Still, could definitely work for some moments!

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@RogerRoger Ah, I hadn't considered resolution or any of that technical stuff. Makes sense why it wouldn't be the goto form for screenshotting in that case. I guess it could only really work as a last resort, for when you miss a one time moment you desperately wish you'd been quicker to sceenshot.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Absolutely; depends what you're trying to capture, an artsy landscape or something like a funny glitch or a high score. It's at least there as an option, so thanks again!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

My dad was having problems with his PS4 as he was playing Hitman 2 but the game kept crashing on him. The latest update was not downloading as apparently there was not enough space on the console. My dad said he had deleted stuff but the update would still not download. I did quick a Google and a few results turned up that a database rebuild sorted it out, whereas a uninstall and a reinstall of the game didn't. So I did the database rebuild and it took 3 minutes to do. Which is interesting to find out cos I always thought it would take a lot long longer. Mind you my dad has the 500gb model, I wonder how much longer it would take with mine, a 1tb internal and a 4gb external drive. Hmmmm. Anyway, the update would still not download with the same error message, not enough space. Grrrrr. So I checked the storage setting and there was only 20gb space left..... dunno what my dad deleted but turns out he was looking at the section out at the top which states how much storage is being used, and not the 'Free Space' section. Double Grrrrr. So I deleted some more games which he wasn't playing any more, tried the update again and it started to download again. The lesson from this story? I'm always gonna double check anything my dad has said he has done as he gets easily confused with anything to do with technology in his old age, bless him.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Lol, old people and technology. But man, I’m impressed your dad plays PS4, and Hitman to boot - Not even just stuck on old retro games. What are his favorite games? Do you two co-op together?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

Does anyone else agree with the prediction that Vigil: The Longest Night will be a 2D equivalent of Bloodborne? I think it will be worth getting if this prediction is correct, and from the trailer it certainly seems like it can boast a wealth of horrifying bosses for us to deal with. The trailer's on YouTube.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Ha Ha co-op, that's a good one! He only plays single player games, his fave games over the years are the recent Tomb Raider games, BioShock, Wolfenstien, Far Cry, Uncharted (or those Nathan Drake games as he calls them). Recently he has struggled when anything gets a bit complicated. For example he really enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but did not understand all the building and crafting in the game so never got thst far into Fallout 4. So anything where there are a lot of different mechanics to deal he veers away from, stuff like The Witcher 3. He also found God of War too difficult. He used to play the Medal of Honour games back in the day, but begrudges the latest Call of Duty and Battlefield games as the single player campaigns are too short. He has recently found the Sniper Elite games which he likes. He comes to me a lot for reccomendations, I have tried to get him to go onto YouTube and look at the magazines I get him, but this is when he generally gets stuff he doesn't enjoy. I got him Hitman 2 for his birthday, basically because I'm running out of games to get him. I probably wouldn't normally of got him it as I think he is gonna find all a bit too much. I will probably get him Metro Exodus for Xmas.
He only started playing video games when he got made redundant, so it was the first time that he wasn't working. So I gave him my old PS1 console as I had upgraded to PS2, and that was about the only thing thst took his mind off worrying about getting a new job. He has been hooked ever since!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder That is so cool! And so sweet the way you try to find games for him. I had to laugh at “those Nathan Drake games” 😂
Sounds like he gravitates to story driven shooters, both 1st and 3rd person. Would he like Red Dead Redemption? Not sure if he likes the old Western theme, but the 2 games would definitely not be too short for him. Gameplay mechanics might be a little too much, but it’s not too far from Uncharted or Tomb Raider in that regard. He likes military based themes so maybe the Metal Gear Solid franchise? Or if he likes to keep it a little simpler, Ratchet & Clank would be up his alley if he can tolerate the cartoonish nature. Or Borderlands might be worth a go as well. Also has he tried Horizon Zero Dawn? Good story driven / shooter (kinda) that’s in the neighborhood of TR and UC. It probably has too much going on with all the armor crafting and trap setting, etc, so yeah, nevermind that one. I’m surprised he’s not into puzzle games like Tetris Effect, The Witness, or Fez. Usually that’s what I’d imagine an older gamer enjoying the most —Something with very limited mechanics to have to master.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution He forgets things like names of people and stuff quite easily and gets them muddled up at times. Farout 5? Battleforce 1? Elite Sniper 4? That Nathan Drake game but without him in it was my fave! 😂

I think he enjoyed the first RDR, but I think there are too many mechanics at play for him in the second game. He might enjoy it up to to a point but will probs get overwhelmed by it. What has read and seen of it, he doesn't like the sound of it. Yeah he has played all of the MGS games (more than me I think), he has played MGS V but didn't get that far into it. He doesn't like anything cartoony or anything puzzle based either. Borderlands he has enjoyed in the past so the third game he will probably get. He only buys games 2nd hand, trading in his old games so there is another restriction. The only new games he gets are for his birthday and Xmas, even if they are not from me I always end up getting the as the rest of my fam don't know what he likes or what he played. He doesn't do anything digitally either, even when I have bought GOTY editions unless the content is baked into the main game will most likely not realise there is extra content to play.

HZD he really enjoyed, but he had to play it on the easy mode as he didn't understand the crafting and levelling up. On his second play through it was on a higher difficulty and found he understood the crafting and levelling up a bit better. The Assassins Creeds he has enjoyed but did get a bit fed up with them after Black Flag (was that Unity or Syndicate?). But he liked Orgins but again struggled with the openness and the levelling up. He was basically getting destroyed by the higher levelled enemies cos he had totally ignored most of the levelling up! 🤣 So Origins might be a good one to get especially as it is a decent price these days.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Haha! “That Nathan Drake game but without him in it” = Uncharted Lost Legacy, I presume. That’s hilarious. 😂
Well your dad sounds like a cool guy. And an interesting case study of the older hard core gamer.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah got it one. There is some puzzle solving involved at times trying to decipher his memory banks. "You know that game you showed six months ago with a bloke shootings things, can you remember what is was called"

Or "Is there going to be another Nathan Drake game?"
"No Dad, I think they have finished with that character for now. You never know though. And the developers are busy making The Last Of Us 2"
"Have I played the first one?"
"Yes Dad. It's the one without Nathan Drake but with zombies and the young girl to look after"

ellsworth004

@JohnnyShoulder ive been reading your comments about ur dad playing games, good on you that ur close with him. Me and my dad were super close and i can remember him playing burgertime back in the day. I could never get him to get into newer games, but he loved burgertime. I believe it was on the intellivison. Family is great.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic