Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 741 to 760 of 834

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution Lol, yeah, seems like adding to folders is the only option.:/

Huntin' monsters erryday.

https://borderlands.com/en-US/vip/?cts=4ZRfNmji

Frigate

Cyberpunk is available to pre order through Amazon.com for $49.94 if anyone is interested.

Frigate

JohnnyShoulder

@Frigate I pre-ordered it as soon as it was available after E3. I will probably change to another retailer nearer release as I'm not a Prime member and having to pay extra to get it day 1, and it will be cheaper too from other sites. The only reason I've kept it with Amazon is that they are the only place I know that doesn't charge you until it is despatched.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Frigate

@JohnnyShoulder Couldn't tell you the last time I pre ordered something. I don't really see the point unless it's a limited release and there's a risk it will sell out. Of course there's often digital incentives too which will reel some folk in.

Frigate

JohnnyShoulder

@Frigate Only about 2 or 3 games a year if that, my last one was Sekiro. I do mainly if I wanna play a game on day one, which rarely happens. And if I wanna support the dev, which I do with CDPR as I liked the way they supported The Witcher 3.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @Frigate I’ve not been pre-ordering as much lately. Partly because this year’s releases have been a bit ho-hum and partly because the pre-order bonuses aren’t that great lately. My thinking is that if I know for sure I’m buying a game day 1, then why not pre-order and get a little extra like a bonus weapon, an outfit, or a free PS4 theme. But if there is no bonus, or if I’m not 100% on board with the game, then I’ll wait — Lately it’s been some of both. The last game I pre-ordered I believe was Red Dead Redemption 2 and the bonus was $10 credit at GameStop, which effectively made the game $50 instead of $60. That was a pretty good deal.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I don't think I ever based my purchasing decisions on what pre-order bonuses are with the game. For instance, Cyberpunk 2077 from Amazon has a steelbook exclusive (along with the other bonuses that are with all pre-orders of the game) to Amazon. I have no problems in cancelling it if I can get it a bit cheaper and if I've still haven't got a Prime subscription. I've been interested in a few collectors/special editions but took one look at the price and just got the standard edition instead, so there is that I suppose.

JohnnyShoulder

Had a look at the release schedules for the rest of the year, and there is nothing really there that sparks much interest with me. Borderlands 3 is probs the game I'm most interested in, but not sure if I'm ready to to play in September after just finishing off the pre sequel. So looks like I will playing stuff from my backlog or older games I've not played.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Same here. Been enjoying rediscovering the BL franchise with the Handsome Coll. and I’m more inclined to get BL3 on release or early, but it will depend on reviews. Keeping an eye out for Code Vein too — the game has intrigued me from the get go but its delayed production has me suspicious if it is going to live up to expectations. But as a Soulsbornekiro fan, it might be worth a look for you.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I will wait and see on Code Vein as I've heard that the combat is not that great, which is quite important for that type of game. I'm also not fussed on the character designs either. Not totally writing it off, but like most of the others games I have a passing interest in, there are a few things holding me back from taking the plunge. Who knows what I may feeling like when the games come out, positive buzz around certain titles may help change my mind. Think the same happened last year, the only new game I bought was PES in the last quarter of the year.

themcnoisy

@Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder I'm never preordering a game ever again. There is absolutely no benefit to the consumer and encourages ripped content and bonuses. Just take a look at the release state of Fallout 76, Street Fighter 5 etc. Even when I have preordered twice the games have been delivered late!

Understandably Cyberpunk sounds like a game of the generation contender already so I do understand. But why not wait until release day?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy Like I said before, I like to support certain developers. It's not like I'm pre-ordering loads of titles, it has only been Sekiro (which I only pre-ordered a few days before release) this year and Cyberpunk 2077 next year. And those are bit different to pre-ordering games as a service like Fallout 76 and Anthem.

You say games have been delivered late, but I've had games delivered a few days before day one, so it works both ways.

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder I understand that, I've preordered too. But why not wait until release day?

It's a genuine question.

redd214

I have no issue pre-ordering a game I know I will enjoy. A game like Borderlands 3 for example that's guaranteed a few hundred hours no point in not pre-ordering it. As soon as the link went up I bought the Super Deluxe edition. Get to preload and play the second it's released so that's a perk. Outside of a few days early access there really aren't any preorder bonuses that I find attractive, a couple skins or weapons don't really move the needle. Really just depends on the game/franchise for me.

redd214

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy I think you are missing the point of pre-ordering lol.

kyleforrester87

Nothing wrong with preordering. Granted it use to serve a bigger purpose, there was a time when you could rock up at the game shop and they literally wouldn’t have a copy, which doesn’t seem to happen anymore. You still need to do it with console releases of course.

But in my opinion it can be fun, if you know you’re gunna be getting it anyway putting your pre-order down can be an exciting addition to an otherwise mundane (or worse) day.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder The point to preorder is to make sure you have a copy of the game on release day. As @kyleforrester87 has mentioned its a none issue these days - you can just download should the worst happen.

The bonuses, extra characters etc are just stuff ripped out of the main game to encourage people to preorder. Fortunately It's usually fluff and doesn't really hamper the experience (up to now bar a few examples).

My issue with preordering is its now used as a sales tactic, with timed prerelease game time and staggered release scheduling. Its just another way to skimp off the gamers and doesn't offer any additional value other than bragging rights. You could put your preorder money into an ISA or savings account and accrue interest rather than bloating the coffers of a company with a product to sell. In my opinion they should have to work harder for our money, rather than letting them pull our pants down after showing a few trailers.

In previous years when I have preordered, the main motivator was because I wasn't as financially secure - so the spare £50 off a month's wages could be put down on Disgaea 5 or The Phantom Pain as an example. I didn't regret doing that at all and enjoyed both games. However with the preordering process being yet another avenue for games publishers to take the mick, which they are now doing, it's time to take a step back and realise that the practice I was participating in can actually negatively effect my and your hobby further down the line.

The staggered release schedules, ripped content, bonus missions etc. Preordering is becoming more normalised as the defacto way to purchase a game (support your favourite developer by giving us free money!) and it's agitating that even if you purchase a game during release week your experience is already compromised.

With all that said both Sekiro and Cyberpunk are examples of preordering done ethically. I don't believe there are any game altering freebies in those editions. So wherever you preorder or not the game will be the same. I still wouldn't preorder though as it just encourages the games publishers to include said bad practice in subsequent games. I would like to think CDPRs philosophy towards gamers would negate my suspicious position - however I felt the same way towards Bethesda 5 years ago and we have all seen how that played out.

Ralizah

@themcnoisy I preorder almost all of my games. But, keep in mind a few things:

• Considering I mostly snub Western AAA titles (HZD is the first one I've played in two years or so), I don't typically have issues with the game not working well at launch or the publishers ripping out content to incentivize preordering. 95% of the time, I'm fully satisfied with my preorders.
  • I only preorder if it's an exclusive I'm highly excited for (and thus will eventually get on the platform anyway), or get some sort of deal on. For example, I preordered RE2 on Steam because I managed to get it at launch for $44. I preordered the special edition of FF7R (the $80 one, not the crazy expensive one) on Amazon because they temporarily reduced the price to around $60. I've bought multiple vouchers for digital Switch games that save me $10 on each game, meaning I get to play Nintendo's biggest games at launch for a pretty decent discount (even more if you include the $5 in gold coins you get with each set of vouchers).
  • If you digitally preorder a game and preload it on your system, it's often ready to go midnight of launch day, meaning you get even quicker access to a game you're excited for (as opposed to downloading it after-the-fact for a few hours or waiting all day for the mail to arrive with a physical copy).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic