Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 1,795

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Just read a rumour Microsoft is looking to buy IO. Would that effect your choice of platform going forward? Just interested in your thoughts on this hypothetical situation.

Kidfried

Areus

@Kidfried Didn't they just break free from square enix not to long ago

Areus

RogerRoger

@Areus Yes, they did, but scuttlebutt says it was more like SquareEnix pushed them out. They desperately scrambled to find a publisher for Hitman 2, which was almost finished, and struck a deal with WB Interactive to meet the release date and keep themselves afloat. Hitman 2 has been critically praised but is unfortunately selling really badly, so I'm not surprised that Microsoft are thinking of pouncing and / or IO Interactive are thinking of getting into bed with Bill Gates.

@Kidfried To answer your direct question, personally no, it wouldn't change my choice of platform. Frankly, if Lara Croft couldn't get me to buy an XboxONE, Agent 47 won't either.

It's true that my adoration of the Hitman franchise has gone through the roof of late because Hitman 2 is just that darn good, but I'm trying not to be too concerned precisely because of that newfound love. I've been reading a lot about Hitman of late and have often forgotten how big a deal the franchise is considered. It's big bucks to a lot of people; the fact that IO Interactive were able to go from "kicked to the curb" to "releasing full game" in about six months is proof of that.

Because of that, Microsoft might buy IO Interactive but that doesn't automatically mean that all future IO Interactive games will be Xbox exclusives; timed exclusives, maybe, or with a few special bells and whistles, but I'm confident that a major franchise like Hitman would end up being multi-platform eventually, just like Tomb Raider.

And honestly, even if my OCD would allow a non-Sony console, I just don't have the shelf space for an Xbox. I'm already worrying about where I'm gonna put a PS5 in a couple years!

Thanks for asking, though. Hadn't seen the rumour until you tagged me.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Areus

@RogerRoger i wonder how much freedom would these studios have at microsoft a big prb they have always had was it was always one game per studio and nothing else

Areus

NecuVise

@RogerRoger why would Microsoft allow future games on competing platform? Tomb raider was timed exclusivity deal with square Enix which is obviously a lot different to owning and financing a game. But I think IOI is too big for Microsoft, not that they don't have enough money, it's that they're looking for smaller studios.

Edited on by NecuVise

NecuVise

RogerRoger

@Areus IO Interactive have made a couple other games over the years, but recently they've been laser-focused on Hitman, so that might not be too much of an issue for them in the immediate. I'm sure they'd like the freedom to explore any ideas they might have, though.

@NecuVise Wasn't there recently a Microsoft-owned studio which released a game on PS4? I can't recall the details but I remember seeing the headline. I think my point is that Hitman is too big a name for them to keep to themselves, even if they did own it outright. The situation with Tomb Raider will likely be echoing in their ears as they contemplate buying IO Interactive, and this whole "buying developers" thing is supposed to be a positive PR push for Xbox, not something to make gamers even more furious with them than they already are.

As you say, because of that, they might not buy them after all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

NecuVise

@RogerRoger there was a situation like that recently with compulsion games and will be probably with Obsidian and inxile but because these games already had deals before to publish currently working projects on ps4 with other publishers like we Happy few and the wasteland 3. you won't get any future games from any Microsoft recent acquisition, dunno why would you even think about it.

Edited on by NecuVise

NecuVise

RogerRoger

@NecuVise I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying the headline!

Making It So Since 1987

NecuVise

@RogerRoger I still don't think MS will buy IOI, but if that will save them from going down, then I hope they will. Anyway, let's stop this story or move it to some other thread before Tasuki warns us

NecuVise

RogerRoger

@NecuVise Let's wait and see what happens (to IO Interactive, not to whether or not we can derail this topic, because I'm pretty certain that we could if we wanted to, and we shouldn't).

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

not sure if this is the right pace to post this BUT current rumour is that WB are making a new Batman game based around the Court of Owls story https://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/12/04/batman-court-of-owls-g...

any thoughts?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

NecuVise

@FullbringIchigo wasn't there a leaked Harry Potter game from Warner Bros Montreal? Doubt they're working on two full aaa titles at the same time. If these are two different studios then it's possible and I'm all in for a new batman game.

NecuVise

FullbringIchigo

@NecuVise from what i understand they are working on 2 AAA titles and on is a DC property and depending on the size or number of teams they have there then it's not impossible for them to be working on 2 games at once, a lot of big studios have multiple teams to work on different games at the same time, it's how Activison can put out a COD game each year or Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Jaz007

So did anyone else get Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight?

Jaz007

mookysam

Not sure how I feel about MS buying studios to get their hands on certain franchises that were formerly multiplatform or even Sony exclusive. Would much rather they foster their own IP, but this is an area they have been notoriously bad at.

@Jaz007 Yep, but not started it yet. What's the song list like? You enjoying it?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Jaz007

@mookysam It’s pretty good. It’s got a lot of remixes along with with some original versions of the songs. I’m a bit more than 4 hours and still haven’t unlocked all of the songs yet, but I’m also playing songs again and stuff. It’s some great stuff to listen to as you play the game for sure.
The characters also dance according to their personality which is really cool. The social events are all good fun too. I can’t do the end credits song though, it gets me when I listen it (especially while watching the credits roll). Had to pass muted to unlock more songs lol.

Jaz007

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you have played Lego DC Super Villains right, would you say it's worth playing?

mookysam

@Jaz007 Thanks. I like the sound of them each dancing how you'd expect. Absolutely love the music from 5, so am looking forward to hearing the remixes.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic