Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 1,795

Kidfried

@Jaz007 Didn't they have an E3 showing of Ghost for journo's in which they paused the game to show how realistic bloodsplatter was?

Kidfried

Kidfried

@mookysam Art goes in all kinds of ways. In times of turmoil, people also tend to favor art that provides an escape into a more simple and positive world. It's one of the reasons used to explain why superheroes are so popular right now.

But it could also go the other way, people wanting their art to be relatable. I think that's often been mentioned when explaining the success of Mad Max in the 1970s, reflecting the Cold War crises and fears of an apocalypse. And that's something we're seeing a lot of now as well.

Hm. I'm just rambling now.

Kidfried

Jaz007

@Kidfried I didn’t know about that. Calm down with the “maturity” people. I remember when here was a balance. Back when Splinter was fine without being rated M or COD was a GOTY without being mature. Realistic blood splatter isn’t even new anymore, and honestly worries me about their focus a little. This isn’t Doom lol. Of course, I’m still beyond excited for the game all things said.

Jaz007

Jaz007

@beemo The movie or the game? The Wii game was M and the PS3 one was T. The original movie was PG before PG-13 existed. I’m a little confused by your post.

Jaz007

AdamantiumClaws

@Jaz007 Speaking of which, when are we getting another Splinter Cell game

Even the rocks do not recall.

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Ramble on; I find this kinda stuff interesting. Especially since I'm a fan of Bond films, which tend to try and adopt real-world concerns and growing threats as basis for their villain's schemes. Think of Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) which basically has Bond fighting Rupert Murdoch, or Die Another Day (2002) focused around hightened tensions with North Korea, both pre-empting major headlines on the same subjects. SPECTRE (2016) dealt with the dangers of "big data" long before anybody had ever heard of Cambridge Analytica, too.

Games do this to a lesser extent; there seems to be a modern trend towards the immersive, escapist historical epic (Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption, Ghost of Tsushima) in favour of the contemporary socio-political commentary (Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4). Maybe that says something about the industry or gamers, or both.

Especially in the last three or four years, it has made me wonder why many still generally consider "dark = good" when it comes to their choice of entertainment.

Also, upon re-watching the Ghost of Tsushima gameplay demo from E3, I'm surprised how much blood there is; I'd obviously blocked it from my memory and / or allowed my own personal hopes for the game to overwrite the reality of what'd been shown. Somewhat taken aback by how my brain re-wrote itself there!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger You managed to confuse me (doesn't take much lol) as I was thinking 'has he not seen the trailers?'.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder It's okay, I confused myself. Sorry for dragging you down with me!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Not to worry, I'm permanently balancing being on the line of confused and, erm, not confused?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

Ugh ... with all the talk on another thread about rebuilding the PS4 database to improve performance, I decided to do it again today since it has been several months since I have done it and I’ve added and deleted games since then. Part of the reason I have been hesitant to do it was last time it messed up my folders and someone said they fixed that so the folders stayed intact, but ... nope, all my games were just vomited up onto the crossbar again. Oh well, it’ll just take a few minutes to tidy things up and compartmentalize my life again.
I also forgot how when you do this then it prompts loads of updates to download for random games that you haven’t played in forever but for some reason still have on your hard drive (Like Rocket League for me) or games you downloaded ages ago but never played (like Warframe for me)
On the positive though, the interface does feel a few milliseconds snappier I think and hopefully games will launch a smidge quicker.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yeah, it’s definitely worth it. Lol. The difference in performance may all be in my head but even if it’s what they call a ‘placebo effect’, I’ll sleep better knowing my database is nice and cleanly rebuilt and organized in there.
I had a slight studder once or twice in Shadow of the Tomb Raider so I’m curious to see if this fixes that.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

By the way, anyone heard the rumor about Rocksteady supposedly working on a Justice League game, featuring five cities, to be released on the new consoles in 2019. Sounds super fake.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried I’m on a vanilla launch console. It has served me well. I would like to “go Pro” but I feel PS5 is so close I’ll just save up for that. I don’t own a 4K TV yet so I don’t need the added resolution. I would like the Boost mode for performance though, but I’ll live with waiting and extra few seconds on my loading screens.

And I have not heard that about Rocksteady but yeah, I agree it sounds fake.

NecuVise

Well what else could they make except justice league game? Superman is just op for a solo game.

NecuVise

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I gave you that advice about PS4 folders and rebuilding the database, and I'm real sorry it didn't happen the way I said it would. My console's a Pro, so I can only guess that the folders only stay intact on a Pro, or my console didn't rebuild my database properly, but none of that helps the mess I made of your crossbar. Sincere apologies!

@Kidfried Don't tease. Sounds like my dream game (so yeah, will probably end up being fake).

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger No worries. I’m being slightly melodramatic for effect. It actually didn’t take long to reorganize. It actually is a good opportunity to realize I have some games on there that I really don’t think I’ll be playing again and need to be deleted anyway! It’s all good. 😄

Jaz007

My 500GB isn't big enough to have folders. I don't keep games on it long enough or have enough to justify making folders.

Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic