Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 1,795

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Actually, I feel like I know enough about the game already to really want it. It'll be stealth/horror, third person in a bizarre world and with strong philosophical themes.

Doesn't guarantee the game is going to be a 10/10, but that's the same for any unreleased game.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Fair enough!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Octane I'm expecting it to be delayed to early 2020 personally, be it for marketing reasons or other reasons entirely. Still, it's good news anyway that they're making so many progress. Thanks for the update, and link to the longer article. Had fun reading it.

Kidfried

AdamantiumClaws

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

I might be in the minority here, but nothing I've seen of Death Stranding does anything for me. The E3 trailer I found to be a load of pretentious twaddle.

Haven't seen the E3 one yet but the ones I saw prior felt pretentious. This one seemed a bit more gamey though, like they're trying to make an actual coherent game now.

Even the rocks do not recall.

Jaz007

Honestly - I wouldn’t mind if it was a bunch of “pretentious twaddle.” It can absolutely “sacrifice” “fun gameplay” for a fantastic, artful, and impactful story. It doesn’t have to fun.

Jaz007

AdamantiumClaws

@Jaz007 To perhaps echo what Johnny wrote in a different thread, it is indeed interesting to see the way people play games, and what people value in them.

Even the rocks do not recall.

JohnnyShoulder

@AdamantiumClaws @Jaz007 Yeah like I said I don't put story first when it comes video games. I can count one one hand the amount of times I was truly engrossed by the story and characters in the game this gen.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

NecuVise

@Jaz007 then we can just watch a walkthrough without buying and playing it

NecuVise

Th3solution

It is amazing how most of the PS4 releases now seem to be not only very ‘story-heavy’ but also very mature in tone and content. Especially the PlayStation exclusives. After Uncharted 4/LL and Horizon, both of which I might call more lighthearted (but also very narrative driven as well) then think about the other exclusives — God of War, Detroit, TLoU2, Days Gone, Death Stranding... all rather grim and deep in their subject matter, it would seem. Even Ghost of Tsushima looks pretty heavy and serious. I would say in these final days of the PS4 are looking brilliant, but if there was one observation I might note is the lack of a little diversity in the exclusive content. Spider-Man is probably the only one that I would call being more ‘lighthearted’ and with the real hook seeming to be the attraction of pure gameplay, although even that game has managed to put the story as a focal point, supposedly. (I haven’t played it yet)
Compare the releases of 2018 and 2019 to years past and you notice a lack of the likes of Gravity Rush, Ratchet & Clank, Journey, Infamous, Knack, Tearaway, The Last Guardian, and heck even Persona despite having serious subject-matter has a light-hearted tone with a lot of comedic moments.
I guess Dreams would be the one wild card here. That game has a colorful and just plain ‘fun’ feel to it, rather than depending on a thought-provoking narrative with huge ethical dilemmas or hardcore themes.

And this is not a criticism of this year and next years exclusives, as I said previously (in this thread or another, I can’t remember) that I am high on all these upcoming releases and honestly am excited about and will likely buy all of them. I love a great narrative driven adventure that doesn’t necessarily have to have deep or complex gameplay. I actually quite enjoy walking sims and visual novels. I like variety. I just am making an observation that the release schedule has become a little one sided from Sony lately. But I may be forgetting some games.
Anyways, my apologies for the random ramblings of a person who is sick of my job and needs to think about something else 😆

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@NecuVise I know you were pretty much joking, but interactivity, even if not fun at all, can contribute to your immersion. Walking sims have proven that much by now. You can look those up on YouTube, but it's not the same as experiencing it.

And "fun gameplay" is something else from "meaningful gameplay". And I think that's what @Jaz007 was getting at (correct me if I'm wrong, by the way). One Kojima example from MGS5 is when you have to kill your actual crew members on your base, s-ranks among them too, because of the infection. Yes, you're shooting, but it's not challenging like most of the game, nor is it any fun. It is meaningful however, and it is meaningful that you are actually pulling the trigger yourself.

Of course a developer can fail at making that interaction meaningful in any way. But based on what we've seen so far and have experienced in other Kojima games, that probably won't be the case.

Going back to MGS5, when you encounter Quiet. You actually stumble upon the mission by accidence, which I thought was cool, and then a very cool boss happens which is all about stealth. It's stuff you can't translate to a let's play video.

I get that his style isn't mainstream, and won't appeal to everyone. But it's not like he makes movies and then ports them to the PS4.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Th3solution I don't know if that is necessarily true. Spider-Man and Concrete Genie this year, versus God of War and Detroit. I don't know if that is one-sided really, more like fifty-fifty. And next year we're getting Medievil, Dreams and Monkey King.

I think the problem more is that these gloomy and serious games just get more press, as lighthearted games are often looked at as less or childish.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yeah, true. I had forgotten about Medievil and Concrete Genie. (Don’t know much about Monkey King) — which supports your theory that these games are not getting as much press and not in the public consciousness to the degree that the post-apocalyptic, horror, or war themed games are.

Side note: Is Concrete Genie coming out this year? I somehow missed that.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution They've said 2018 over and over, even at TGS again this year. BUT! They haven't announced a day, month or window, so... who is to say.

Also... forgot to say that, the fact that Sony still also releases more light-hearted games of course doesn't undo the fact that they are more than before involved in making "mature" games. You're totally right in that regard.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Octane

@Th3solution @Kidfried Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they did something like Knack (but good), Gravity Rush or Concrete Genie with a bigger budget; A game that's less serious, and more about silly fun. They have that space robot game for VR this year, and it looks pretty good, but too bad it's VR exclusive. A proper big scale jolly platformer or something like that? Yeah, I'd like that.

Octane

Jaz007

@Kidfried I’m not able to look at your MGS example, but given what I know about the series, it sounds like it’s probably spot on. Meaningful gameplay that’s not “fun” is what I meant. Schindler’s List isn’t a fun movie, but it’s a great and meaningful one.

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Th3solution On your musings regarding tone, I think @Kidfried makes a good point about journalists' role in all of this. I think the reason the more grown-up games receive more press is because you kinda need to be an adult to be a journalist (at least in physical years, naming no names) and, as such, they're gonna write more passionately and more frequently about the games that interest them. I think back to when journalists were allowed to see that gameplay footage of Cyberpunk 2077 at E3 and almost all of them said it was awesome "because it had close-up gore and the C-word" and yet LEGO games will probably be right alongside it at launch, making equal money.

But in the age of Metacritic developer bonuses and YouTube influencers, publishers will look at critic scores and social media saturation right alongside sales figures to help them chart a course, and we're now seeing the results of a good half-decade of these trends. Audiences never change, but journalists and streamers are only getting older, which means the products designed to thrive in their world are gonna adapt to them.

Because in today's gaming landscape, the tail wags the dog.

Personally, I'm hoping that Ghost of Tsushima is similar in narrative tone to Horizon; weighty, with emotion and a little bit of PEGI 12 swordplay, but nothing too drastic. Unfortunately, I think the general population would hate it if there weren't fountains of crimson spewing forth from every swipe of a samurai sword, so I'm bracing myself for a more mature experience.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

@RogerRoger Interesting theory. I agree about GoT, but it already had dismemberment and blood spewing in the E3 showing, so that’s probably already a lost cause. It can be plenty dark without that stuff too. I mean look at the evil ending of inFamous: Second Son, it was pretty nuts. It

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

@Jaz007 Yeah was gonna say the same thing about GoT but couldn't quite remember the trailer for sure.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

mookysam

Art often mirrors the world in which we live. I've wondered if the large number of games that are darker in tone is reflective of that.

Too many gloomy games is a bit much. Ghost of Tsushima is my most anticipated upcoming exclusive however.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic