Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 1,795

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic You are officially The Forum King of Random Questions! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Nope to either question @Draco_V_Ecliptic

I am not playing Ghost of Tsushima (Though I'll try it at some point) and it can't remind of Sekiro as I've never played that (& I'm not terribly interested in that actually)

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

jdv95

@Th3solution the fall guys servers are mostly fine now. it's rather uncomon for me to NOT get into a match.

jdv95

Col_McCafferty

Started Shadow of the Tomb Raider last week. My God is this game gorgeous, the HDR mode is very good but even without it the environments can be breathtaking.

I remember it received mixed reviews when it was originally released but I'm really not sure why. Maybe 2018 was such a great year (God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man) that people were a tad spoilt!

I'm about 30% in but so far I think it's my favourite of the three.

Edited on by Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

JohnnyShoulder

@Col_McCafferty Yeah it is a cracking game. Did you get the dlc as well? Some of the tombs were fantastic. I was never happy with HDR in that game but I only have a peasant ps4 and not a pro, so no 4K.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Col_McCafferty

@JohnnyShoulder I think so, all the Challenge tombs are listed anyway. I won't even think of touching them until after I've completed the main story.

I only have a base PS4 as well but I can see the difference. It looks great in standard mode anyway in particular the caves and lighting effects. I'm just surprised it wasn't better received upon release. I mean compared to Uncharted it isn't quite as polished, in particular facial animations and the script, but it's not far off and Lara remains a classic character and gaming icon.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@Col_McCafferty I’ve only played the first Tomb Raider reboot but personally I think it’s better than Uncharted 1. If the sequels improve on it then I could see them beating Uncharted in my eyes.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Col_McCafferty IIRC I think they are pretty well integrated into the main game. The challenge ones are the exact same ones but time attack or high point chasing, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

@nessisonett Yeah I defo think that. Played the Uncharted Remastered Trilogy a couple of years back and thought they were only ok. I didn't like the balance of combat v non combat sections. And some of the combst section went on waaaaay to long. It does story and characters better than the TR games, but I find the gameplay much better in TR. I've still jot played Uncharted 4 and I've got it both physical and through PS plus.

Octane

@nessisonett I still think TR2013 is the best one. Rise was bigger, but also longer, which meant that it overstayed its welcome a little bit. Shadow is more of the same, but even bigger maps, and I got burned out pretty quickly. The towns/settlements are gigantic, and littered with question marks. TR2013 definitely beats Uncharted 1-3, but I think Uncharted made bigger improvements with each game.

Octane

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder 4’s the one that finally nails gameplay. I love 2 but it is a wee bit hokey now. Honestly, the gameplay in TLOU1 was way better than the story imo, that’s why I’m looking forward to playing the second.

Col_McCafferty

@nessisonett Yes but when did the first Uncharted come out? It was quite a few years before the TR reboot which in itself is very much influenced by the Uncharted series.

In terms of gameplay one could argue that TR maybe has the edge over the first 3 Uncharted games but in terms of characters and scripts ND are definitely the benchmark for these types of games.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@LN78 Nah, I just really enjoyed the gameplay loop of running around looting the smallish maps and sneaking my way past enemies. The guns felt pretty nice and weighty too. It’s a strange beast, not quite Resi 4 and not quite Uncharted either. I didn’t hate the story but it’s hardly a masterpiece and the constant jumps totally spoiled the flow. One day I’ll go back and play Grounded, it’ll probably feel a lot more tense.

Col_McCafferty

@Octane I liked the first one but I prefer the setting in both Rise and Shadow. The length of a game never bothers me, if you're enjoying it that's the main thing.

I guess that's why in general I prefer open world games, the main story is set and has a determined length and structure but if you just want to chill out and explore the world and see what's over the horizon then this is also available to you.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@LN78 By all accounts, the second one is at least set in a smallish time period. I really enjoyed the feeling of a journey in the first one as you slowly approached a landmark so if it does that without cutscenes inexplicably landing you closer then job done 😂

Col_McCafferty

@nessisonett I really enjoyed the first LoU but maybe because I played it years after it was released and it been subjected to so much hype, perhaps this is why I don't love it as much as others do. I think it's a good story but at its heart a relatively simple one. The prologue is killer but after that I found myself getting a tad bored and it became hard for me to justify playing it ahead of other games. I only purchased a PS4 in early 2017 and soon created quite the backlog!

The game really clicked (pun intended) with me once we left Pittsburgh and from then on in I started to understand why it was so highly-regarded.

Maybe this is why I actually preferred Part II and thought it improved upon the original in almost every conceivable way.

I'm going to play the first one again and fairly soon. Maybe on a second run I'll change my mind and end up completely falling in love with the game.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

@LN78 I’m actually borrowing it from my friend once he’s done as he just trades them into CEX after finishing but cheers for the offer. I like how you’re treating it like a unwanted dog turd on your front lawn though 😂😂

Octane

@Col_McCafferty Yeah no. Open world stuff generally drives me crazy. Too much repetition, pointless side quests, ''points of interest'', etc. I usually get bored with them halfway through and I have to force myself to finish them.

Octane

R1spam

@nessisonett enjoy!! I definitely thought the gameplay loop was better than the first. @LN78 CEX do free post trade ins if your UK based and want to get some cash back?

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Tjuz

@Th3solution Ah yes, I keep forgetting Ghost of Tsushima is out already! I've definitely been mildly interested in that. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it (which, judging from reviews, most people seem to be). I suppose if I want your more in-depth thoughts I'll have to travel into the dedicated thread! You're definitely more adventurous than I am in the games you at least give a shot, since I'd probably never touch Battlefront 2 or NBA myself, even for free. I'm the same in that I much rather play a story-driven adventure as well! As for Fall Guys, I experienced some instability issues when I first started playing but they seem to have mostly stabilised now. Yesterday I got my first disconnect in a few days again, and it was an isolated incident. Seems like a good as time as any to try it out if you're interested!

I totally get what you mean with the Game Club as well. That's why when I saw the thread pop up after checking in after a long time I was like... I'm gonna get in on that too! I'm not at all consistent with my gaming and perhaps the Game Club could give me a bit of motivation to start these big games that I might otherwise simply ignore or not be motivated enough to start. Sounds like you've been enjoying it at least, so I'm excited to give it a shot. Maybe we'll all find some of our new favourite games in the process!

Tjuz

Octane

Has anyone tried The Last Campfire? They shadow dropped the game last week, and since its made by Hello Games I expected a bit more coverage. But there are hardly any reviews available. I'll give it a try tonight, because I'm curious.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic