Forums

Topic: FORUM GOTY 2018!!

Posts 1 to 20 of 202

KratosMD

It's finally that time of year, it's the Forum GOTY 2018! Hope you're all excited for this year's poll as I'm hoping to make it the best one yet.

You can choose up to 5 games that have come out on PlayStation this year. Any PS4, Vita and PSVR titles are eligible, including remasters, remakes and DLC expansions. PlayStation Classic titles are not eligible!!

Also, you don't need to submit exactly 5 games, simply remove the last spots up to the amount that you want to include if that is what you want. The allocation of points remains the same regardless.

The allocation of points is the following:

1st: 10 points
2nd: 8 points
3rd: 6 points
4th: 4 points
5th: 2 points

If you decide to submit exactly 5 games, I'll give you 3 bonus points to dish out to any of the included games that you feel deserve some extra love. Feel free to allocate them however you wish, although I do appreciate it if you could make some notes just so I can easily see how you've spread them out (e.g. within parentheses next to the base points).

The poll will run one week until Tuesday 11th of December at 9 PM BST. I'll be tallying the results daily so check in every day to see how your favourite games are faring against the competition!

That is all. Happy voting!

Best games as voted by the PushSquare community:
PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider II

KratosMD

Here’s my vote:

1) God of War - 10 points
2) Marvel’s Spider-Man - 8 points
3) Monster Hunter World - 6 points (+2)
4) Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 4 points (+1)
5) Red Dead Redemption II - 2 points

(In order to avoid confusion, I’d recommend to not include the bonus points with the base points. Just write them separately, for example within parentheses next to the regular points like I did.)

PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider II

WanderingBullet

1st: Monster Hunter: World - 10 points (+2)
2nd: Valkyria Chronicles 4 - 8 points
3rd: Dragon Quest XI - 6 points (+1)
4th: Insomniac's Spider-man - 4 points
5th: Red Dead Redemption II - 2 points

Huntin' monsters erryday.

NecuVise

Here’s my vote:

1) Hollow Knight - 10 points (+2)
2) Red Dead Redemption II - 8 points
3) Assassins Creed Odyssey - 6 points
4) Shadow of the Colossus - 4 points
5) Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 2 points (+1)

Edited on by NecuVise

NecuVise

Octane

1) God of War - 10 points (+1)
2) Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - 8 points (+1)
3) Shadow of the Colossus - 6 points
4) Marvel's Spider-Man - 4 points
5) Detroit: Become Human - 2 points (+1)

SOTC is one of my all-time favourite games, but I always feel a bit weird putting a remake/remaster in first place. So I'm definitely looking at the games based on the impact they had on me this year. Also decided to give the extra points to God of War, because it's my favourite PS4 game as of right now; Astro Bot, for surpassing my expectations of VR, and Detroit: Become Human for being a very unique game with a big budget, a risky game from a business perspective, and you don't see those very often anymore.

Octane

roe

This was a lot harder than I thought..

1) Shadow of the Colossus (10 pts)
2) Red Dead Redemption 2 (8 pts)
3) God of War (6 pts) (+1)
4) Celeste (4 pts) (+1)
5) *Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (2 pts) (+1)

*I haven't even played Astro Bot, but from everything I've seen and heard about it, I feel like it deserves to be on the list.

Edited on by roe

roe

KratosMD

@WanderingBullet @NecuVise @Octane @roe Cheers for the early votes guys. Lots of great games on display here already!

Elodin

1. Divinity original sin 2 (+2)
2. Red Dead redemption 2
3. God of War
4. Dragon Quest Xi (+1)
5. Spiderman

Elodin

Feena

1st: Shadow of the Colossus 10 points
2nd: Valkyria Chronicles 4 8 points (+2)
3rd: Shenmue I&II HD 6 points (+1)
4th: God of War 4 points
5th: FFXV Pocket 2 points

Edited on by Feena

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

RogerRoger

1) Hitman 2 - 10 Points (+2)
2) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 8 Points
3) LEGO DC Super-Villains - 6 Points (+1)
4) Sonic Mania Plus - 4 Points
5) Spyro: Reignited Trilogy - 2 Points

Sorry, Lara... not only should Hitman 2 not even exist, given what happened to the developers this year, it shouldn't be anywhere near the polished, inventive and endlessly compelling experience it actually is. Bringing in the levels from Hitman (2016) and giving them a graphical overhaul, as well as incorporating the new gameplay tweaks like mirrors and the briefcase, is the icing on the cake. Hitman 2 will remain on my PS4's HDD for a very, very long time. I'd argue that it's definitely the best "game" released this year, with complexity and detail that actually means something and takes you somewhere; nothing is superfluous, nothing is padding, yet it'll keep you happily busy for weeks. I'm sorely tempted to revise my initial, lukewarm comments and give it a perfect ten.

I'm being cheeky with Sonic Mania Plus, especially since I haven't actually played any of the Plus content that came with the July 2018 release beyond the tweaks and improvements to the zone transitions, but it took me a while to warm to the game and I want to acknowledge the effort SEGA put into the physical copy (and the rules say that DLC Expansions are valid).

And yes, there is a LEGO game on my list. It's awesome, joyful and reminds me of why I got into gaming in the first place; to unwind and have fun, challenge be damned.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

so mine would be

Spider-Man (10 Points) (+2 Bonus Points simply for being such an incredible game)
Dragon Quest XI (8 Points)
God of War (6 Points)
FFXV Pocket Edition (4 Points) (+1 Bonus Point for completely subverting my expectations, i had a lot of fun with this game)
and Dragon Ball FighterZ (2 Points)

Also i'm not sure if we do this here BUT i also have a top 5 WORSE games of 2018 list (hey if we don't have one someone should do a proper one, basically the same was this is done but in reverse so worse game is -10 Points for example) but it would need some rules like NO EASY TARGETS, Shovelware or Movie Licence games

for me they are

The Inpatient (-10 points)
The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia (-8 points)
Secret of Mana (-6 points)
Metal Gear Survive (-4 points)
Fallout 76 (-2 points)

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

Jeremy Brett is still the DEFINITIVE Sherlock

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make it's own judgments" - Zefram Cochran

"Hello there!" - Obi Wan Kenobi

it may be multiplatform now but Final Fantasy & PlayStation will always go hand in hand

KratosMD

@FullbringIchigo That could be a good idea for next year's bonus poll actually. I'll keep it in mind if you'd like!

Also don't forget to give out the 3 bonus points you have since you've submitted 5 games! You can allocate them however you want across the games.

Edited on by KratosMD

BAMozzy

1st: - Red Dead Redemption 2 - 10 points (+3pts bonus)
2nd: - Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 8 points
3rd: - Assassins Creed: Odyssey - 6 points
4th: - Far Cry 5 - 4 points
5th: - God of War - 2 points

I can't really vote in a worst game(s) of 2018 as I haven't bought any 'bad' game. I didn't waste money on Fallout 76 or purchase 'half' of Battlefield 5 with the rest to come sporadically after release. Therefore it would not be right to vote on any of these let alone put them in some order from bad to worst....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Jaz007

@KratosMD @FullbringIchigo You know, a poll for worst and/or most hated game might be kinda funny. Worst publisher decisions could also be up there too. Just a thread for "hate" polls.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

KratosMD

@Jaz007 Lol I don't know man, people usually don't like too many negative topics and if you trash talk other games/publishers it might get really heated. I'd be up for a one-time poll like "Worst games of the year" though.

ApostateMage

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 10 points
Detroit: Become Human - 8 points

Sadly, they're the only two games that I've played from releases this year.

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

God of War - 10 points
Dark Souls Remastered - 8 points
Shadow of the Colossus - 6 points

JohnnyShoulder

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

Spiderman. 10 points (+3 bonus)
2064 ROM. 8 points
God of War. 6 points
Monster Hunter World. 4 points
Yakuza Kiwami 2. 2 points

Good luck counting @KratosMD

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KratosMD

@themcnoisy Don't worry mate, I'm all ready to go. Thanks for joining in, I hope everything is going well with you!

mookysam

Dragon Quest Xi 10 points (+2)
God of War 8 points
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 6 points (+1 point)
Red Dead Redemption 2 4 points
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom 2 points

Gonna say a bit about Dragon Quest XI, which is my game of the year at the time of typing. So many other games yet to play because of how stacked the past few month's releases have been!
Anyhoo, Dragon Quest. It's really quite wonderful. I like the gameplay precisely because it is traditional turn-based, something that is usually looked at as a negative by western gamers. Turn-based systems have a rhythm and here battles are fast, with enough strategy to keep me interested. Outside of the battle system, there are also many quality of life improvements that make this feel a fresh and modern RPG.

The world is delightfully colourful and jolly in its presentation (which I like, particularly at the moment). The monsters are wonderully designed. Unfortunately, as a result, a lot of people dismiss the Dragon Quest games as being childish. Silly them, I say, because there is some seriously dark stuff going on in the story and a lot of it packs quite a punch. One scene, taking place after huge events in the middle of the game showed a terrified child walking through a church; hoping to find refuge but instead coming across the entire congregation slaughtered where they sat. Other moments scattered throughout give the game a lot of emotional depth and the kind of heft that is often absent in the genre. There's other moments and gameplay vignettes too which I shan't write about, but I've ended up caring about the characters and their quest. The characters are extremely likeable (not a dud among the party), with some excellent dialogue across the board - particularly from a character named Hendrik. In all, this is a skillfully written and lovingly translated game.

Particular praise must surely go to the voice acting. It's true that the game was released at an odd time; and truer still that it did not receive the best marketing. However, this is a labour of love, so well done Square-Enix and your excellent localisation team.
The only real negative I can think of is the music, which is MIDI. There are some nice compositions hidden in there, but not enough variarion.

So yeah, love it and am massively pleased it was released in the West.

Edited on by mookysam

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic