Forums

Topic: E3 2017 -OT-

Posts 21 to 40 of 80

Nei

@KratosMD I completely agree. I still see them doing it though - mind you not a proper sequel just a kind of high profile DLC - like the upcoming Uncharted 4's one.

I also wonder if we will get to see FVIIR once more at Sony's presser? They should really roll with a lot of games and counter Microsoft's inevitable spec talk with Scorpio. Nintendo will have a lot of awesome stuff probably, it's such an important "E3" (well, Nintendo Direct) for them.

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

shonenjump86

Not sure what to expect. Maybe info on the next The Last of Us?

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

PSN: Shonen86

BAMozzy

@Feena Its an important E3 for all the console manufacturers. MS are launching their 4k console into a console market dominated thus far by Sony but also need games too. We don't know what they have in store beyond the end of the year with Crackdown 3 and the inevitable Forza Motorsport 7. Of course we can expect Halo and Gears to arrive at some point - after all MS set up studios specifically to make those. Games like State of Decay 2, Cuphead etc are expected this year but we really don't know what we can expect in 2018+

With Sony we know they have games in development and at least a more long term view. Games like Last of Us 2, God of War, Detroit, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Dreams etc some may arrive in 2017 but its still a more long term overview of what Sony have in store.

For Nintendo, they are currently riding the Hype of Zelda and have a new Mario game on the Horizon. I know they have other games like Splatoon 2, Arms etc but its still important to see what they have lined up. There is still the fear that this console could still end up like the WiiU - a few 'big' releases each year with limited 3rd party support. So far it seems that the 3rd Party games are mostly indie/arcade with the odd last gen (albeit remastered) game. Whilst MS and Sony are looking to the future and 4k, Nintendo are putting their faith in versatility. I still maintain its a mobile device that can be connected to a TV rather than a 'console' that can be mobile - after all, the dock is nothing more than link to the TV and a charging unit. All the guts are in the portable part. Nintendo have dominated the mobile gaming market so it makes sense. It still needs games though. We know the WiiU 'flopped' as far as sales were concerned compared to other consoles around so people are still wary of the same thing happening - promises of 3rd party support that faded.

Sony are in a great position, we know what games they have in store and at least for the next year, their consoles too. However they now have competition from MS in the 4k market and Scorpio also uses the full potential to improve all games on Xbox (inc XB360 BC games). It also downsamples to 1080p if connected to a 1080p TV. I know resolution isn't the most important but if it delivers a better and/or more stable frame rate as well as better visual - inc 4k assets, it could be the 'place' to play 3rd party games Playing games like RDR2, SW:BF, Destiny 2, CoD etc in 4k with 4k assets may be more of an appeal than the 3rd party deals Sony has. I really can't see MS catching up with Sony in console sales but they could close the gap. Sony have the benefit of knowing the specs and time to respond to the price. We know most of the games line-up with maybe 1-2 surprises - like maybe Sucker Punch and their project, GG's DLC for Horizon but we know what most studios are working on.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy I think the switch is proving to be a hit unlike the wii u. It's got the best games available on the tablet market already hands down and the worries about the various ways it plays and usefulness are actually more fitting with kids lives these days and all the switch users seem happy. Every kid in my son's primary school wants one. But as we have said loads of times before, it's more a companion console than a competitor to the PS4 or scorpio. Switch is going head to head with Google, Amazon and Apple, and actually doing really well so far. Nintendo can easily pull re-releases out for the next year as hardly anyone gamed on wii u to supplement its bare bones 1st party line up. I think 🤔 switch is a bigger and potentially huge development in gaming and kudos to Nintendo for having the kahunnas to release it.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

thatguyEZ

@adf86 That'd be pretty great, though after what we saw of Spiderman I can't imagine that being in VR. I'd love to see something from them as I think Sony really needs to beef up the VR lineup and really show people why they should be picking up the unit. Eve is great, and I plan to play Resident Evil in VR when I get around to it. Farpoint also looks pretty good, but I'm a bit worried about how they'll do movement. They really need to knock it out of the park with VR this year.

thatguyEZ

PSN: NanoNekomata | Twitter:

Hego

Personally what I really want to see is a Bloodborne 2 but not a direct sequel to Bloodborne, rather a game that's set in a similar world, something like the jump between Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Would also buy a remastered version of Dark Souls in a heartbeat. I'd love a remastered Demon Souls too as I've never had the chance to play that game. Going slightly more obscure, I'd love to see a Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky trilogy set announced for ps4, bizarrely only the second game is available on PS Vita after the first game was taken down? And now the publishers have decided to only release the third game on PC?? So a remastered trilogy of those games would be great, also would be ecstatic if Falcom announced their bringing the other Trails games west (and to Ps4 or Vita obviously).

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

Simon_Fitzgerald

VR definitely needs some love at E3. I would love to see a VR Ratchet and Clank, I think that could work really well.

Simon_Fitzgerald

PSN: ScarySim6 | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy All that you say just proves my point about Switch - the fact its not really a 'home' console but the best mobile gaming device. It could still end up as a dust collector, a here today, gone tomorrow fad - especially if there aren't too many 'big' new games releasing for it. That being said, there will be people happy with Nintendo's back catalogue and a steady stream of Indie/Arcade releases in between those 3 or 4 big releases a year. Nintendo have a massive archive of games that could be accessible - inc all those handheld classics - not just WiiU, Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES and NES games. The classic NES was very popular so maybe this will be the direction of Switch to supplement the new releases.

People think Nintendo 'failed' last gen, but forget about how popular their 3DS has been. In the top 5 best selling consoles, Nintendo have 3, two of which are handhelds - both selling over 100m units. The 3DS completely trounced the Vita in sales and both arrived in the same year. In many ways the Switch is the natural successor to the 3DS as well as replacing the WiiU but I still thinking classing it as a 'home' console is not entirely correct. The 3DS arrived a year before the WiiU but sold many more units. It seems Nintendo have opted to make a console that offers the best handheld gaming and can be played on a big screen too. You talk about all the Kids wanting one, I bet that's because they can play it on the school bus or back of the car, play it in the school playground etc and when they get home, jump on their PS4's or XB1's.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy ' I bet that's because they can play it on the school bus or back of the car'

Pretty much this. Multi-player anywhere is the biggest selling point.

Rudy_Manchego

@BAMozzy @themcnoisy The Switch is an odd one because I think it depends on who you ask and how they use it. For me it is a home console that is portable. For others, it is a portable that can be played on the telly. Power in no way denotes what is and isn't a home console in my mind.

In all honesty, in a lot of ways the Switch isn't a great portable, the Vita or 3DS is better for mobile gaming. They are lighter, less expensive and a bit more durable. The Switch is cool as a portable because it IS a home console that can be played in a different room or taken on holiday which is something we've never seen before. I think that is a key to selling success. How many people have the common console dilemma of not having access to the big tv all the time but don't want to sit in another room? Or go on holiday and want to carry on playing the big game they were playing?

Of course, I completely agree that it all depends on software. If Nintendo can maintain well reviewed first party, get good sales figure and get some third party games of big brands then I think the form factor will mean it sells well. If it just stays with a few Nintendo exclusives here and there and a few indies then no chance.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Rudy_Manchego I am not referring to 'power' at all when I consider it a 'portable' or handheld device. Its the fact that everything, inc the screen is all contained in one 'portable' unit. Its no different from a Laptop or Tablet and both of those can often be connected up to a large screen too - a lot have a HDMI or video out port. There are a number of Laptops and Tablets than can easily rival a desktop in terms of performance too so its not about 'power'. The difference here is that the Switch comes with a 'docking station' that also enables it to connect to a TV rather than having to buy a cable.

In many ways, its not that dissimilar from iPod either. If you have the means to connect it to a home stereo system, it becomes part of the hifi. The difference is that you can take that and connect it to your car and it becomes part of your cars stereo or just connect a set of headphones and its a 'walkman' (showing my age a bit). Point is, nobody views the iPod as a 'Home' stereo - even if that's where it gets used the most.

If the Vita came with a charging 'dock' that immediately transferred the image to the TV, it still wouldn't be considered a home console. I feel Nintendo don't want to put it in competition with the 3DS and calling it a 'mobile' device automatically makes people assume its the replacement for that. I personally feel that Nintendo are moving more into the mobile sector but still keeping a toe in the home console market with Switch. Generationally speaking, its not a 'significant' upgrade over the WiiU - yes it has more RAM and when docked, a more competent GPU but its not as big a step up as the PS4 was to the PS3 or even the Pro is to the PS4 in home console terms but there is no denying, its a big generational jump for mobile gaming.

Rudy_Manchego

@BAMozzy Afraid I'll agree to disagree It is a hybrid so any argument about it being a portable console can equally be turned around depending on perspective. I could argue that the experience and output changes when you dock it and use it as a home console (as you mention when it comes to docking it at the end of your comment). Also, some peripherals, like the Pro Controller are really best designed for use as a Home console. Of course, one could say the exact opposite and say it is all about portability. As a hybrid it is a bit of both and I think everyone will find the way they prefer to play it. There was a poll to this effect on Nintendo Life which had a real mix of different responses. I think Nintendo have marketed it as a home console that is also portable.

Nintendo are curerntly marketing it as a portable home console, which means both. They have just released a new 2DS model to show that they are going mobile.

As a hybrid, I'd say that it can't do everything as well as a specific device. It sacrifices power to be a handheld but sacrifices portability to power home console games. The big question for the life of the Switch is whether consumers are happy with the sacrifices for the options it gives players.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Rudy_Manchego No doubt we will have to agree to disagree on that. Its really not sacrificing 'power' to be a handheld though as its easily the most powerful handheld gaming console. At most its sacrificing 'size' to be able to deliver as much as it does - including the controllers - into a portable device that can be an improvement over the WiiU when docked - although its still smaller than a standard iPad and the screen is smaller than an iPad Mini too.

Anyway, we are getting off topic - this was meant more to discuss Sony and their E3. I only made the comment about Nintendo because its still an important time for them too and whilst games like Zelda and the upcoming Mario - as well as Mario Kart may well help Switch in the short term, its the long term that people want to know. Both Sony and MS are looking to the future and the technology the majority are likely to have in their homes - like 4k HDR TV's. Nintendo's Switch, as a home Console, is under-powered for this generation. Maybe people won't be interested in playing games like RDR2, CoD, SW:BF2 etc on the Switch - although all of these could have been more enticing a prospect had you factored in the ability to play these on the go in MP. Have a few matches in CoD on the train to work, Jump in with your posse during your lunch break at Starbucks. Its these games that are most likely to be the biggest sellers.

For Sony and MS, what Switch does is almost irrelevant as it's not 'competing' in the same area. At most its a 'complimentary' device. I don't want to say a 'second' console choice because for some people, games like Zelda and Mario will be their first choice when it comes to deciding which game to play but when it comes to the future of the big 3rd party games, the choice comes down to Playstation or Xbox (as far as consoles go - I know you could also opt for a PC). The Switch already has 'some' games that are available - games like Snake Pass for example and its 'biggest' appeal is the fact that you can play this anywhere.

Sony's biggest answer to Switch would be a revised Vita - A portable PS4. MS don't look like they will be joining the mobile market. That is of course assuming Sony want's to compete with Switch.

The point of my original post was more to say that for each manufacturer, its a big year for them. Nintendo need to show the Switch has a long term prospect and won't be a 'fad' under-supported with 'new' software. MS are launching a very powerful console but 1st party games seem a little light on the ground. It may well be the best place to play 3rd Party games but why invest in that when you can buy a Pro (maybe not the best visually) and an XB1s (for 4k HDR Blurays and access to the exclusives and XB360 games) for the same price. Some incredible first party games may make people opt to jump to Scorpio and maybe stick with their PS4 for exclusives. Sony may have the exclusive games and 3rd party deals but can they still keep that momentum going forward - how will they respond.

Tasuki

Since I am sure people are going to be talking about it I will make this the main E3 thread and Sticky it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

BAMozzy

Well MS has just knocked the Price of the Xbox One S down to $200 - I can't see Scorpio being more than double the price... Find out tomorrow. Will Sony follow suit... All those still not bought a PS4 or Pro could be getting a bargain.

EA's show was disappointing. No mention of the upcoming Star Wars games they teased last year which I was looking forward to seeing how they were progressing - especially as last year it was primarily developer chat with a few seconds of actual game. It seems this year EA had far less to show - maybe that's just me and what interested me but it seemed very light on games...

Fifa on Switch isn't in Frostbite and doesn't have the campaign/story mode. On Switch, FIFA will include FIFA Ultimate Team, including squad building challenges and both online and offline seasons. A Career Mode will also be included. Local seasons will be playable across two Switch consoles.FIFA 18 for Switch will also include Kick-Off mode, Women’s International Cup, online tournaments, skill games, and more. According to EA, it will output at 1080p resolution when docked and 720p in handheld mode. EA Vancouver and EA Romania developed the Switch version. As previously revealed, FIFA 18 for Switch will not include The Journey campaign mode and is not built on EA’s Frostbite engine.

Oh well - next up MS...

Edited on by BAMozzy

Victor_Meldrew

Xbox just doesn't have anywhere near enough AAA exclusives to even bother PS4. It's almost a shame, at least I don't feel like I'm missing out. I think that Nintendo Switch sales are going to rocket after that conference.

Victor_Meldrew

Ralizah

Microsoft conferences are always boring. They inevitably end up being third-party AAA showcases. Bleh.

Bethesda was pretty good. Skyrim on Switch seems pretty promising, and we're getting two pretty high-profile sequels (TEW 2 and a new Wolfenstein).

Of course, the "meat" of E3 is in the Sony and Nintendo events. For Sony, it pretty much ends after the presentation, but Nintendo will apparently be announcing stuff during the treehouse events, so I guess I'll be watching those segments again. I don't really care about the tournaments, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

The Xbox conference was boring, but Microsoft did show many promising titles. Nothing I'll buy an Xbox for, but enough titles that'll end up on the PlayStation anyway.

I found the Bethesda conference quite uninspiring. More than eighty percent of the announcements had been leaked weeks in advance and I miss diversity in their titles.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

Microsoft conference was good, but the lack of any first party content was pretty staggering.

Quintumply

There were some really cool looking games at Microsoft's show, but I'll be able to play most of them on PS4 at some point. I don't think they did the best job of selling the Xbox One X, but then, I'm not even sold on PS4 Pro, so that could just be me

Bethesda had some cool stuff on display. I'm looking forward to Ubisoft for more on Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 5, but Sony has the most stuff I'm interested in. Curse that 2am start...

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.