Forums

Topic: Discussing Game of the Year - GOTY 2018

Posts 61 to 72 of 72

Ralizah

I've been pretty happy with third party output for the Switch this year. Games like Valkyria Chronicles 4, Hollow Knight, and Ys VIII are really and truly excellent, and there hasn't been an absence of games to play and enjoy.

I'm sure Octopath is probably excellent as well, but I haven't had time to get around to that.

What has been missing from my Nintendo diet this year is compelling first-party software. Aside from maybe Smash Ultimate, I'm just not interested in their big first-party exclusives this year. Although, honestly, the same is true of Sony: I know that people were excited for games like Detroit and God of War, but gameplay footage of them does nothing for me. I do want to get around to playing that SotC remake at some point, though. And Tetris Effect looks cool... I'm just not sure it's worth nabbing if I don't have PSVR, and I'm really not looking to spend more money on gaming hardware any time in the near future.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 I've played 6 games released this year.

God of War
Pes 2019
Sega Megadrive Collection
Capcom beat em up Collection
Yakuza Kiwami 2

And something else another earlier in the year. Sometimes this happens. Life, work and studying gets in the way I'm drawing a line under this year except for Tetris effect, Astrobot, Moss and SC6 ( @dermeister I will beat you before the year is out lol ) as they are short. But yeah weird year. I think because I grabbed a bunch of goty at the end of last year and am studying again and working full time I can't manage story games late at night. @fight_teza_fight I need to get up at the crack of dawn like you!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@Ralizah I've got Smash bros on preorder to ween my son off fortnight so there's a big big game to come on Switch. Just like beat saber on PSVR.

And you really should get PSVR if a good deal comes up.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@Ralizah I think I’m going to eventually get Tetris effect, even though I don’t have VR. I’m sure the VR version is tops, but even the regular screenshots and videos look downright awesome. And I think Valkyria Chronicles 4 probably deserves a nod too, I will play that eventually too. It got swallowed up in the madness of Spider-Man, Red Dead, CoD, etc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Kidfried I’m ok with a combined algorithm of popular and critic votes. But I agree, the small titles and indies have no chance against the volume of something like Red Dead or Zelda.
And like was stated on the article comments section, the sheer volume of good titles will split votes on the PS4. Players who prefer the PS4 games will likely vote either Spider-Man or God of War, and some will vote RDR, whilst the Xbox gamers will likely all vote Red Dead. All the Nintendo voters will vote Celeste (or abstain from voting since probably few of them actually played it). So the PS games are at risk for cannibalizing one another. I can’t see Monster Hunter or Assassin’s Creed getting many votes. The critics are more likely to give a balanced vote since they play them all (presumably). Nevertheless, I do think player reception should be a factor. Something can’t be GOTY if it doesn’t have at least some semblance of a fan base.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NecuVise

@Octane @johncalmc xenoblade chronicles 2 is eligible for this year's awards but it's omitted for every category.

I've stopped caring for these awards as they become so predictable and besides, it's not going to change my mind on games I like or don't and developers' bonuses are tied to metacritic and sales, not awards so what's the point except for bragging

NecuVise

Octane

@NecuVise Yeah, but like I said, the most outlets probably forgot about Xenoblade 2, since it came out last year. I don't think they were told: ''Remember, you can also vote on Xenoblade 2''.

Anyway, you're right. Games that are released in the second half of the year have also a bigger chance of winning an award than games released in Q1. That's just the nature of these things. People tend to forget about the games they played months ago. Hype has settled down for those games, whereas everybody still seems to be in this RDR2 hype right now, so it will probably win GOTY.

Octane

Fight_Teza_Fight

@themcnoisy I need to get back to it! Been lacking the motivation to do so lately. I’ve fallen behind a bunch of games already... .
I’d like to finish Spider-Man & RDR2 before the year is up as they’ll be in the discussion for GOTY.
Already given up on beating DQXI before the year is up.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Bonbonetti

Yakuza 6 for me. I can't really think of another game, or franchise even, that has the same appeal and impact on me. It's the mix of having awesome characters, an engaging storyline, that special Japanese cinematic feel, and gameplay that's uncomplicated and sometimes bonkers/silly. It's such a broad experience for me, playing a Yakuza game, and this is my favourite so far.

Bonbonetti

Th3solution

@Bonbonetti Have you played Kiwami 2 yet? And if so what transcends 6 over K2? I’m just curious. I’ve only played through part of Zero and wondering if skipping the Kiwamis is more prudent than trying to follow story chronology.

Bonbonetti

@Th3solution Nah I haven't gotten to Kiwami 2 yet. I pre-ordered the disc but you know, ... backlogs. I'll get to it eventually. From what I've seen they took a number of things from Yakuza 6 and put them into Kiwami 2, so gameplay-wise they should be quite similar. The game engine is also the same in both games. I've tried not to watch too many videos of Kiwami 2, because I want to experience the surprises first-hand, I know they changed a number of things from the original.

I don't think chronology is that important in these games. Each game has its own separate epic story. The way they have made the storyline in Yakuza 6, it's a good game to start with, it does a good job of explaining the character's past.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

Gremio108

For me:

Red Dead
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War

I'm not 100% on that order yet, but unless Red Dead really loses me then it's going to be my pick. Games I haven't played but would probably have been in the running:

Hitman 2
Dragon Quest XI
Monster Hunter World
Spiderman

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.