Forums

Topic: Discussing Game of the Year - GOTY 2018

Posts 41 to 60 of 72

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, I keep forgetting about Just Cause 4. I have only played a tiny bit (I think it was actually a demo) of Just Cause 2 I think it was, and it didn’t quite grab me. I have JC3 in my library from when it was a PS Plus game and I just have so many other games vying for my attention. That said, the promotional videos of Just Cause 4 do look brilliant. It may be a dark horse this year. But unfortunately it will more than likely be swallowed up in the barrage of other AAA games hitting market this quarter. I still can’t help but think if Soul Calibur 6 or Just Cause 4 or Dragon Quest 11 could have hit a release window in June or July that maybe they would have received more attention. But this is a belabored point and we’ll never know. The publishers obviously know a lot more than I do about making money and apparently the lay populace buys more games in the fall than the do in the summer so it’s worth it to go toe-to-toe with RDR2, AC Odyssey, Black Ops4, etc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution They're nonsense gameplay sandpits for your inner man-child, so I'd only ever really consider them GOTY material from a gameplay perspective. The only reason I'm leaving the door open for Just Cause 4 is because the trailers have made it look so good, but it's never a guaranteed thing that they'll run as well as they do in the marketing.

Just Cause 3 was released in early December of 2015, so they obviously like the pitch they've chosen and are hoping lightning strikes twice (despite some criticism, it clearly sold well, because we're getting a sequel relatively quickly for the franchise) but yeah, I think it might do better this time around if it were being released in late January / early February of next year. We'll see; a slight delay wouldn't surprise me. The fact that Team Sonic Racing is still listed for Q4 2018 and yet hasn't been given a confirmed release date makes me think that SEGA have taken a look at the schedule and gone "let's not kill our game" so I'm not expecting to see that until February, either.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Games are gradually getting pushed back, Days Gone being the latest victim. The problem is if everyone delays their game then they all still end up coming out at the same time anyways! 😂
But yeah, they really have made JC4 look impressive with all the destructive physics and open sandbox gameplay.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Hadn't thought of that, you're right! Clear your schedules for Spring 2019, everybody (and prepare for a more-boring-than-you-thought Christmas)!

That's all Just Cause games are, though, and I'm not sure I can call something my GOTY if I can't even remember any of the characters' names beyond the end credits.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

NecuVise

Hollow Knight is my goty so far. I've played all the big games except shadow of the Tomb Raider and odyssey (it's my next game) but nothing comes close to hollow knight so far. I'm speaking of this year releases not games I played from previous years.

NecuVise

Tjuz

I don't think I've even played a 2018 game at all! Can we go back a couple of years so I can get in on this GOTY action? That said, not too far back. I can't imagine having to choose between ME3, TWD and Dishonored in a 2012 GOTY awards. I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread to keep track of what games to look out for!

Tjuz

mookysam

At the moment I would say my game of the year is Dragon Quest XI - although I haven't completed it yet. It's full of many great things that I'll rave about when we come to the Game of the Year poll.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@beemo Wow, glad to hear it had such a big impact on you; I haven't heard anything but "yeah, it was fine" from others. What specifically about it was so engaging for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@beemo Thanks for the detail and context; you've certainly made me feel like I wanna play it now, whereas I was thinking about maybe just watching a random playthrough of it at some point, so I think I'll hold off and wait until there's a gap in my schedule (I mean, I'm a Trekkie, so "hammy and over-acted social commentary" is right up my alley).

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@beemo Oh no, I quite like "short but meaningful" rather than "drawn-out for no reason" when it comes to game narratives, and if there really is such diversity it'd be something I'd play a couple times to see some different endings and / or impacts of my choices, so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. Plus I think it's great that those kinds of games exist for folks like yourself, too.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@beemo Great comments and thanks for encouraging me to start Detroit. It’s what I was leaning toward playing next anyways, since it is one of the year’s highlights and I’ve just finished 2 major, long action adventure open world exploration games in shadow of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn. Detroit seemed to be the perfect place to go next for some variety.
I’m launching the game now as we speak! (Well, er... uh, as we “type”.. 😏)

Edited on by Th3solution

Ralizah

Valkyria Chronicles 4 will probably get my vote now. Really fantastic game.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Rogerthat

Some really fancy BOOM

Monster Hunter World
Dragon Quest XI

Rogerthat

Th3solution

A few thoughts on the Game Awards GOTY candidates that were announced —
It’s well documented that I’m surprised at the lack of much Nintendo nominees. I don’t even have a Switch, but I though there would be at least a little love thrown that way given how the console sells like hotcakes. I suppose maybe that’s where all the Celeste love is coming from, since it is the only candidate playable on Nintendo and I guess by all accounts is a great game, but seems to me to be way down the list of great PS4 games this year.
And what do you think, should the GOTY (and awards in general) be decided by a popular vote? There is so much inherent bias because most of us haven’t played all the games. Or should gaming journalist decide these things? The argument against that would be the awards then become an elitist and political game like the Academy awards have become where the best films don’t necessarily win but the ones that strike the right cord with a very small subset of film critic snobs.
Anyway, I don’t know the right answer - just wondering your thoughts.

Edited on by Th3solution

Fight_Teza_Fight

Speaking of GOTY discussion...@KratosMD will you be running the forum polls this year?

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

KALofKRYPTON

GOTY = GRIP!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Octane

@Th3solution I feel like it's currently selling because of 2017 games. This year is a lot of filler for the Switch, and Smash comes out after the Game Awards.

Octane

johncalmc

Nothing has released for Switch this year.

Red Dead and God of War for every award.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@KratosMD Nice. Looking forward to it! It’s become a PushSquare tradition at this point !

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Kidfried

@Th3solution The Game Awards do a combination of both popular vote and critics. I'ts an ok solution, but I rather have critic awards.

To me popular votes feel a bit redundant with these kind of things. How's a game nobody played, but everybody who played that game thought it was the best, ever going to win?

The Last Guardian would never be able to win game of the year.

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.