Forums

Topic: Death Stranding OT

Posts 301 to 320 of 495

MightyDemon82

After a mind blowing 169 hours I have the platinum trophy. I'm going to miss this game, but got a huge backlog that needs seeing to. I really got invested in the world and loved every second of my time with it.

MightyDemon82

0D0

Chapter 6 - Putting 70h so far.
Having fun at the mountains right now. I need to get 5 stars from all those bases up there.

0D0

0D0

@AdamNovice I started planting them. Really useful stuff — and really fun to do. Not always of course: while I was trying to find a spot for a zip line, I was caught by BTs. Tried to scape twice, but I had to beat them. On another occasion, I went to the zip line, but I was caught by BTs right on the spot. When the dark thing shows up, you can't access the zip line, so again I had to fight them.

0D0

Octane

@AdamNovice @0D0 I reached the network capacity halfway through the mountains. Going to wrap up another set of three, and then I'll head back to the rest of the map to gain some more five stars to increase the bandwidth.

Octane

R1spam

Just watched the credits roll (literally, controller down and drank a cup of tea). I really enjoyed bits of the game, like how you can approach situations in multiple ways, soundtrack and graphics) but by god some of the design choices around some of the repetition in lines and bland bt boss fights dont half drag the game down. I can see why it has such a wide spread of reviews! I'd take a point of the game for the approach to the bloody credits the game has!!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

0D0

I've also beaten the game. It was a great road, but the ending was quite boring. For me the climax was about half the game as new tools were getting added. As soon as I had all the gear and structures, the experience was downhill for me. The last 5 hours of the game I was rushing it.

Marvellous game regardless. Not GOTY material tho.

0D0

Octane

Neat! I just discovered that truck has an indicator on the back that tells you how much space is remaining. I never noticed it.

Octane

Octane

103 hours in. I've just got my last five stars, except for the pizza guy. Going to continue with the next chapter (or whatever Heartman wants me to do) tomorrow. Hope to see some story bits again.

Octane

Octane

So late game question. I'm on episode 12 I think.

I got transported all the way back to Port Knot City, and I had to walk back to Capital Knot. It's always raining. The chiral printer doesn't work. And I have to transport cargo. Managed to get the cargo to Capital Knot, but then a boss fight triggered, the giant whale, it took me a good while to beat him cause it's a big bullet sponge. However, as soon as the fight ended, I got a message saying my cargo was ruined and the mission failed. I can't print any Container Repair Sprays, so what should I do to keep the cargo safe until the very end? I only brought one myself, but apparantly that wasn't enough...

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD Yeah I did. Apparently the issue was that my package was ruined nearly all the way and after the fight Sam was out of stamina, so he tripped, fell, and broke the package. But it turns out that the game saves after the fight, so I didn't have to do the boss fight again fortunately.

Octane

Jaz007

Does Death Stranding have any branching narrative? Like can the condition you deliver a person in effect what happens?

Jaz007

Octane

@Jaz007 No, you just get less, or no points. If you fail a mandatory mission, you can redeploy the cargo at the pickup point.

Octane

Th3solution

So, I was in the mood to finally pull this game from the backlog and give it a whirl. I was waiting for the right time for me, because I knew this game was so different from any other game out there that I needed to be ready to learn new mechanics and have the time and energy to devote to a new IP. And I’m pleased to say, the wait appears to be worth it. So far, I love it.

I’m only a couple hours into it, and I had to pull away to do some chores, but I can’t wait to go back. It’s a strange world, for sure, but it is starting to make some sense to me. The trailers were so weird that I didn’t know what to expect, but it looks like Kojima actually has created a unique world with its own rules and situations that do actually have some logical direction. I can’t wait to see where this goes!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

More Early Impressions

I just have to talk about this game.

I’m getting into a decent rhythm with the game now - probably about 6-8 hours into it. Man, this is great. I did not expect Death Stranding to be this compelling and resonate with me so much. Such a breath of fresh air with its unique gameplay. Yes, it’s technically a series of fetch quests, but that’s not the point. The enjoyment isn’t in the fetching and retrieving, its in the journey and the strategy. Calculating a path, managing your load, building structures and interacting with the network.

Say what you will about Kojima, but the guy is a bona fide visionary. I mean, I can’t help but see echoes of the COVID-19 isolation in this game, where people are all locked up in their locations and not interacting, and in order to restore the world order with any hope of humanity subsisting we need to reconnect. It feels very familiar to our situation where society as we know it is prone to collapse if we can’t restore social function in the midst of this pandemic.

> I was also interested to see in one of the supplemental documents in the game that they termed people to have “Delivery Dependence Syndrome”; sounds like what we are starting to see already where we are addicted to our Amazon orders, grocery and food delivery to the door, and heck - even buying a car now can be done online and they deliver it to your house. In the game, the advent of drone and non-human delivery with less social interaction resulted in decline in physiological hormone production and oxytocin deficiencies that resulted in human despair.

Then the whole thing is mirrored in a real life interaction in the game with the asynchronous online multiplayer collaboration and interchange which just further drives home the theme. As an example - after a tough trek through steep and rocky landscape filled with BTs to get to a station and bring it online, I was dreading the laborious crawl through the rough terrain filled with BT’s, only to find with the chiral network online now, there were extremely useful bridges and rest areas in place! I was so thrilled! I could feel my oxytocin levels surge!

The game is quite ingenious, in my opinion. Granted I’m early into it and I’m glazing over its weak points — like some of the acting and script is a bit cheesy, starting with the characters’ names, and the combat is a little weak, for example. But it’s a great ‘chill’ game, and then add the wonderful music in there and the gorgeous scenery, and the hours fly by while I play. After having just finished Assassin’s Creed Origins — which was a great game, mind you, but extremely iterative and a ‘safe’ recycle of well-established game mechanics and themes — it has been refreshing to have a very different experience like Death Stranding. The timing was ripe for me to play it. I really can’t understand the vitriol with which some of the gaming community reacted when the game was released and all the condescending insults thrown at Kojima. Most have surely never played the game. I suppose it’s the same people who are flaming Naughty Dog and tearing down TLoU2.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

R1spam

@Th3solution glad your enjoying it. I played before lockdown but have thought of the games a few times, mainly when trying to tentatively navigate supermarket isles viewing careless boomers like BTs! I love the text in the message entries, I can completely see emojis being part of standard text, irrespective of how formal the content within the next 10-15 years. A handful of pictures can remove any doubt about the tone of the content. On Kojima, im in the camp that although mgsV story is a mess, its still one of the best games on the ps4 for the systems in the world and this game has some of those hallmarks. Thats Kojimas real strength, though I wish he would let others influence dialogue and production. I'm glad I played it but I also get why it splits opinion, I very much have issue with some things in the later game. Hope you enjoy and keep on keeping on 👍🏻👍🏻

XBOX: Placebo G

Octane

@Th3solution I really enjoyed Death Stranding as well, if only because it's so different to other games I've played. I also played offline, which kinda felt like the hard mode to me, with no help from people online lol.

Octane

themcnoisy

@Th3solution without spoiling anything for you, the games traversal becomes quicker later in the game as long as you stay online. It's a great game.

It hasn't stayed with me though, maybe it's the weak boss fights or real slog once you get in the mountains. The only gaming masterpiece I have straight up refused to ever play again.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

I’m still loving this game, but I have to admit - the voice acting is a bit inconsistent. Some of the performances are really good, and some are really poor.

I’m in Chapter 5 now and the story is really interesting. I continue to really like the gameplay as well. I know people say it starts to grate soon, but so far I’m still utterly enticed.

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution I haven't cleared it, doubt I'll get back to it now frankly. But yeah the voice acting (and storylines in general) seem inconsistent. It starts strong, gets pretty bad, and I hear it picks up again considerably toward the end.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic