Forums

Topic: Dealing with a 500 GB HD

Posts 21 to 40 of 50

Splat

I have a 2TB HD and have over 50 games on my PS4. I highly recommend getting one... I had no idea what I was doing but it's pretty simple to upgrade.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

themcnoisy

Wolfenstein, witcher 3, nba 2k16 weigh in at 157gb between them including save files. Games files are huge these days.

I just delete when applicable, but more space is taken with every firmware update and there's unusable hdd at the back end so in essence it should be called the 400gb hdd.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki: true i mean how big is The Witcher 3 now with all the patches and DLC?

i know people say "just put a 2TB HDD in it" but the way things are going soon even that won't be enough, the PS4 NEEDS external HDD support

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

usb

I play and delete games have about 100gb left on the hard drive at the moment. Most games I would play once and never go back to. RPGS which are large in size like the witcher 3 play it and delete. I guess its different if you have multiple play through of one large game. The patches are real problem. Otherwise it would be easy if you are playing off disc to just delete and reinstall as required. I have lost count of the number of patches for witcher 3.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

RPE83

dryrain wrote:

I play and delete games have about 100gb left on the hard drive at the moment. Most games I would play once and never go back to. RPGS which are large in size like the witcher 3 play it and delete. I guess its different if you have multiple play through of one large game. The patches are real problem. Otherwise it would be easy if you are playing off disc to just delete and reinstall as required. I have lost count of the number of patches for witcher 3.

Yeah, same here, it took a while to get past my neurosis of "what if i want to play it again, but the patches aren't there and I can't cope without a bug fix in 2020?!" but I have to be realistic, I enjoyed playing through Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, but I'm not playing them again anytime soon, and if I do, I'll just re-install and download patches.

RPE83

Elodin

@Tasuki: replacing your hard drive is not hard at all. I was in the same situation as you. I had no idea how to replace it and was paranoid that I would break my $400 machine. I am not that handy with electronics either. I didnt even own a flash drive before doing this.
After watching some YouTube videos I decided to bite the bullet. I saved some money in the process too by watching the videos. I ended up buying a Seagate 2 terabyte external hard drive and removing it from its casing and using that for my internal hard drive. The external hard drive cost 40% cheaper then buying the same drive as internal only. I copied the latest ps4 update on a flash drive. Replaced the hard drive by unscrewing a couple screws, put the flash drive in and waited hoping to death i didn't just destroy my machine. It worked!
If you are too worried and can afford it, wait for a neo, but honestly it is an easy process to change it. I think I was done in 30 min or less. Hope this helps.

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

ZeD

If you have a launch model and still have the standard 500gb hard drive, I feel very sorry for you
I upgraded mine to 2TB last month and it is just amazing!

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@ZeD: i would be updating but it's a cost thing for me, i don't have a lot of expendable income you see, i even have to save in advance for games, i can't drop over £150 on both a internal HDD for the PS4 and an large enough external one to back up all my data

yeah it might not sound much but to some of us,it's a lot to drop all at once

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

ZeD

@FullbringIchigo: I totally understand but you only need a usb memory stick to back things up. The only things you really need to save are your save files and maybe a few recordings, screenshots etc but every one is different.
I have to save in advance for games as I cannot afford to drop £50 on the spot and it was the same with my external (cost around £60 i think).

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@ZeD: but i would lose a few games like P.T and Dragons Crown, i NEED to do a full backup

Kidfried

FullbringIchigo wrote:

@ZeD: but i would lose a few games like P.T and Dragons Crown, i NEED to do a full backup

I remember just copying PT when I replaced my HDD back then. I made some free space on my computer.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

I'm with @FullbringIchigo: as although I can afford a hdd, do I need to buy 2 new hdd? I now want to upgrade my hdd due to this thread. So what do I need and what hdd is the best? I don't want to buy 2 though.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

usb

@mcnoisey I posted a link near the top of this article. if you ewant to fully backup your PS4 hard drive then you need an external drive equal or above the size of your PS4 data. If you are not bothered about the backup you will just need a USB drive for the firmware and the new drive for the PS4 it needs to be 2.5 inch and you can go for 1tb, 1tb hybrid or 2tb. I went for the1tb hybrid because it makes some processes faster. But will soon upgrade to 2tb. You need a few different screw drivers and bobs your uncle. Your save games files should be backed up to the cloud but you can also do a backup yourself if you are unsure.

As for makes of drives depends what you read about some hard drives being better than others but the next one I will buy will be samsung.

usb

BAMozzy

So I would need to buy a 500GB storage to transfer my current HDD over to, a new internal HDD drive for the PS4 and a adequate sized 'flash' drive to redownload the OS from a PC. I know I could always re-install, redownload everything again, wait for all the patches to redownload too etc and forego the 500GB storage, but would still need to buy a flash drive and new internal and be left with a flash drive and the old 'internal' as just surplus to requirements.

Amazon are currently selling a Samsung 2TB for £75 and further down, the Screwdriver (if needed for £5) and 32GB Flash drive (£11) - making the combined cost up to £90.90. Obviously the cost can be reduced if you already have an adequate screwdriver/flash drive as well as increased if you want to back up everything first.

From my perspective, I probably have a screwdriver but don't have a Flash drive, don't have something to back-up everything on and don't have need of a 'flash drive' or the old 500GB internal either and so would be just more clutter.

Like I said, it would be far easier to buy a 4-5TB external and just plug that in. Not only would the cost be similar, it offers a greater storage capacity too. Its so much easier to just plug and play - no dismantling, downloading of OS and reinstalling, reupdating that OS etc. No loss of games or reinstalling. No surplus items (like the old internal or a flash drive) and when the Neo comes out, a simple case of just plugging in the external and away you go - no need to swap internals (if you can), no need to reinstall any games etc. USB 3.0 is faster than SATA 2 at data transfer so it should be adequate for running games from the external - certainly hasn't impacted negatively on my XB1 (maybe slightly faster because my External is slightly faster than my internal). I can understand that some people may want to replace their internal for an aesthetic point of view - not having an external plugged into their PS4 and the positioning of the USB ports aren't the best either but others are not so bothered and would prefer the freedom to have the alternative option. However simplistic it is, its still not as simplistic as just 'plug and play' - especially if you have a full internal HDD with numerous games, patches, DLC etc all stored on it. You are still only increasing your storage by 1.5TB for £75 and that is the maximum. External effectively gives you unlimited storage - you can just buy additional externals and swap them over - although I think it could take a while to fill up a 4-5TB external.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

usb

The firmware is only a small file so the usb stick could easily be picked up for less than £10 probably £5 if you are happy with an ebay product. Sell your 500gb drive after you take it out of the PS4 for £20ish. You can pick up a 2nd hand 2tb 2.5 inch drive which is covered by a 24 month warranty from CEX for £55. The external drive which you buy can be used to backup all your files on the computer after you are done with it so still has a use. Or if you already have one for backup purposes use that then transfer the files back afterwards.

The benefits of upgrading far outway putting up with a 500gb drive where you have to manage your games all the time. 2tb gives you breathing space. The external drive option is not available so no matter how good the reasoning from anyone is it can not currently be used. Would people be happy if Sony said yes then brought out their own external drive that was way over priced like the memory cars for Vita? I would see that as a more likely move rather than allowing any external hard drive to be used on the system.

usb

BAMozzy

dryrain wrote:

Would people be happy if Sony said yes then brought out their own external drive that was way over priced like the memory cars for Vita? I would see that as a more likely move rather than allowing any external hard drive to be used on the system.

As far as I was aware. you didn't have to buy 'Sony' memory cards and I can't see Sony making an 'external' HDD which is the ONLY option - especially as they can't lock out others and allow you to use any manufacturer of internal that fits. I could see them bringing one out that was aesthetically designed to compliment the PS4 that's 2-3x more expensive than others with the same storage capacity but they couldn't stop you using an alternative - not the way its designed. The only way to connect it would be via USB which is the same as all others. Its either a flaw in the design, the way the USB's are connected to the internal board or a software flaw. If its the first then it can never happen and a mistake on Sony's part, if its a software flaw then there is something wrong with their OS, programmers etc. Its ridiculous!!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

I bougt an HDD, which I copied the OS, P.T. and my savefiles on. Oh, and I borrowed a USB flash drive from someone. I can be really clumsy, but even I found the installation of the HDD to be really easy.

I chose for an HGST 7K1000 1TB. I know it's "only" 1TB, but it's cheap and this one is known to be the most realiable HDD brand in the business. Total process cost me less than £40/€50/$60 (less than a controller). And to top it off I now even have a 500GB back up drive for my computer, which I needed anyway.

Could Sony have provided a better way to deal with my PS4 storage? There's always room for improvement, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the current situation is good enough. 1TB is a perfect amount of space, it's enough to store the 20 biggest games available on the system.

P.S. I think they didn't add external HDD support on purpose, not due to some flaw. They might just make it a feature of the PS4K, to boost its sales or something.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JaxonH

I upgraded to 2TB, and....

I just ran out of space this morning with Banner Saga 2 and Metal Slug Anthology.

Yep. 2 terabytes- gone with the wind. I had to make a few rounds down the install list and delete everying from Infamous Soundtrack, to demos like both of FFXV, any games I doubt I'd play (like Metro Redux), etc.

I finally managed to free up 277gb. But uh, that's like 5 AAA games. It'll be full again before year's end, easily. Sony has GOT to figure something out for us. It's only their systems I have this issue with. Wii U and X1 both take external drives and 3DS takes microSD with no size limit (long as you format FAT32). But Vita? 64gb hard limit. PS4? 2TB hard limit (they just don't make 9mm HDD any larger). Idk what to do.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

Gamer83

@JaxonH:
Yup, even 2TB doesn't cut it. Freaking ridiculous. I also put part of the blame on the devs as there is no f**king reason a game should have to be 50+ GB to install but the 2TB limit and the fact you can't use external harddrives, a BASIC feature that the competition has had from day one, is insane. There needs to be an update by year's end that allows for external harddrives and allows you to use up to at 5TB at bare minimum.

Gamer83

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.