Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 521 to 540 of 597

mookysam

@Ralizah Happy to help.

Quick thoughts on the other Tales games.

Tales of Xillia was the first "proper" PS3 Tales game. It surprised me quite a bit because I really, really enjoyed the story and loved the characters. Story is never the strongest aspect of any Tales game, but here I felt they went the extra mile and there are some genuinely deep moments. And no padding!
The battle system is another highlight. Unlike Graces, here it is an evolution of the traditional system. It's very fast and fluid and just a joy to play. The battle "gimmick" (though I hesitate to use that word) is that each character is linked to another in pairs. You still only control one at a time, but it leads to some interesting strategy, especially when the combo meter is filled and your pair can work in unison. You can also switch characters on the fly (a big improvement). Each character controls very differently and has a unique battle method and set of skills, but they are very all fun to play as.
The overworld is very reminiscent of Final Fantasy XII in its design - basically a series of interconnected areas. Overall, while still very much a Tales game (not a negative thing at all), it feels like it's pushing the series forward. VERY IMPORTANT

Tales of Xillia 2 - The next "mothership" Tales release was a direct sequel to Xillia - taking place a year after that game - and reuses the world and assets of its predecessor. It does include some new areas and playable characters.
The air of familiarity unfortunately drags it down quite a bit, but I did overall enjoy returning to the world and catching up with characters from the first game. Shaking things up is the "futuritic" vibe, as the world has abandoned medieval-esque technology and rapidly developed. In my view this brings an interesting feel to the game, though some fans did complain. The protagonist this time is a new character and silent protagonist (the ludicrously named Ludger Kresnik), and throughout the game he joins up with the cast of the first Xillia. The battle system is for the large part the same (good thing) with some neat additions that fit in with the dimension travelling theme of the game.
Although there are some pacing issues, on balance the story is again a strong point - at times perhaps even more so. Split into chapters, one part of the game is genuinely one of the most upsetting moments in any game I've played. The story isn't as long as in the first Xillia, and so the gameplay is lengthened with a large number of side quests. Like a madmen I did them all. Overall Xillia 2 is a lot harder to rank than the first. I want to say it's important because of how much the story touched me, and as before I loved the characters. The battle system is also great fun. However, at the same time it doesn't feel like an important Tales release. Reusing the world was an interesting experiment, but it feels unnecessary and lightweight. So I shall be ruthless and say it's EXISTING.

Tales of Zestiria - I played this on the PS4 and it ran like absolute poo. Everything I've read indicates it is even worse on the PS3. The battle system, based on the excellent system from Grace f is one casualty. The framerate is at times abysmal and actions feel slow and laborious. Even worse, the camera is a complete and utter nightmare. Sadly the battles were one of my least favourite aspects of the game, something unthinkable for the series. There are some nice ideas hidden away in the system, but they are overwhelmed by the poor technical performance.
The world is supposed to have a more "realistic" look to it than the more fantastical and colourful designs of previous games. Frankly, it's just ugly. Monster designs are also dull.
The game does have a strong point, however; dungeons are truly brilliant. I can't really fault them at all and thoroughly enjoyed playing through them. The story at times feels like it is going at a strong pace and picking up momentum, but then quickly loses it. It oscillates between this several times. It's not helped by a particularly dull cast of characters, including one important character who leaves early on, returns much later and has her own DLC to plug in the gaps. The game is a bit of a mess. UNIMPORTANT

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@ZeD Already done and submitted. There was only one left, so I just researched it and applied my own score.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

... Hey guys... I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack xD

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

@Ralizah -Gives you a hug-

I saw... Thanks Ralizah

You too @Th3solution! Plus anyone else who was concerned... Means a lot!

Back now though... Hopefully... I've already had three instances of bad luck in a row! I don't need any more

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Woah! Hey there! So glad to see you back! 😀

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Tron: Evolution Propaganda Games
Truck Racer Kylotonn
Turbo: Super Stunt Squad' WayForward Technologies
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Spark Unlimited
TV Superstars SCE Studios Cambridge
Two Worlds II Reality Pump Studios
uDraw GameTablet with uDraw Studio THQ
uDraw Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat THQ
uDraw Studio: Instant Artist THQ
UFC 2009 Undisputed Yuke's
UFC Undisputed 2010 Yuke's
Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late Ecole Software, French Bread
Up Heavy Iron Studios
Vampire Rain: Altered Species Artoon
Viking: Battle for Asgard The Creative Assembly
WALL-E Heavy Iron Studios
Wanted: Weapons of Fate GRIN
Warriors: Legends of Troy Koei Canada
Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Deadline Games
We Dare Ubisoft
Where the Wild Things Are Griptonite Games
WWE '12 THQ
WWE '13 THQ
WWE 2K14 Visual Concepts/Yuke's
WWE 2K15 Visual Concepts/Yuke's
X-Blades Gaijin Entertainment
XBLAZE Code: Embryo Arc System Works
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z Team Ninja
Young Justice: Legacy Freedom Factory
Zumba Fitness – Join the Party 505 Games

I'll set up the sheet in a bit.

themcnoisy

@Ralizah Thank you Amigo.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

HallowMoonshadow

... I've played none of these. Just my luck xD

leucocyte

i've played just two of them this week.

leucocyte

LieutenantFatman

I purchased Zumba Fitness and quickly realised that it's rubbish. It uses the Move controller which you place in a belt attachment that comes with the game.

I quickly realised the game has no way of knowing if you are doing the moves correctly and simply gives you points for jumping up and down like Zebedee from The Magic Roundabout. That's the only way to score well, doing what you're meant to will result in a poor score.

Everything else about the game is unremarkable apart from the fact it sold so well. Clearly Zumba was quite popular at the time.

Not able to access the spreadsheet right now but I'd suggest a 1 is appropriate for this title.

LieutenantFatman

ZeD

Young Justice: Legacy
Based on a TV show and the game is set between season 1 & 2. Seems like a cash grab that was pretty bad. Plays like a PS2 game.
Let's put this in Pointless

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
Looks like a spin off from the Ninja Gaiden series. It got very mixed reviews saying it was short and lacked a variety. A game that you could easily live without playing
Existing

XBLAZE Code: Embryo
A visual novel prequel to the BlazBlue fighting games. This seems like a very strange one. Reading the review on this site (Vita version), it comes across as a very basic visual novel game that does not really seem that important in the grand scheme of things
Not Important

WWE 2K14
Doing a little reading on the net and this seems to be the best on the PS3 hands down.
This needs to be in Important
The other WWE games will go into Existing as they are all apparently good but have some flaws

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@ZeD Arite mate. List 7 games you want me to rate please bro and I will have the scores over tonight.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ralizah

I updated the list with my scores.

I'll take:

Leaving:
Tron: Evolution Propaganda Games
Truck Racer Kylotonn
Turbo: Super Stunt Squad' WayForward Technologies
TV Superstars SCE Studios Cambridge
uDraw GameTablet with uDraw Studio THQ
uDraw Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat THQ
uDraw Studio: Instant Artist THQ
UFC 2009 Undisputed Yuke's
UFC Undisputed 2010 Yuke's
Warriors: Legends of Troy Koei Canada
We Dare Ubisoft

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

A surprisingly decent indie fighting game. It's kind of rendered pointless by the existence of its rebalanced and expanded sequel, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late(st), also being on the PS3, but it still hosts technically proficient and highly technical 2D action. Taken on its own terms, it's a solid release on the system. I'm tempted to knock off a point for that name, but I'll resist.
Verdict: 3

Metal Gear x Splinter Cell x Generic horror movie... but really, really bad. I've seen almost no love for this. Frequent criticisms of the level design, graphics, difficulty... everything. This is a loser all-around.
Verdict: 1

Repetitive level design. Framerate issues. Uninspired. This is God of War on a budget. Diet God of War. Why wouldn't you just play God of War instead?
Verdict: 2

Repetitive, chore-like gameplay that involves manipulating trash so you can progress through your environment. PS2 graphics. Extremely short. No trophies. Fox only, no items, final destination.

Great production values for an early, downloadable PS3 title. Unfortunately, it's a shallow beat-em-up that does nothing interesting with the license. Also, the load times are apparently long.
Verdict: 2

Boring. Short. Excessively linear. Visually unremarkable. Weird plot. An adventure game minus the fun... so, about what you'd expect from a last gen licensed game.

leucocyte

We Dare frankly shouldn't exist at all. ubisoft pulled the plug on a US and UK release, either out of embarassment at how bad it was, or shame for how much flak it got on its european release. it's a bunch of party mini games using move controllers designed to illicit some kind of salacious behaviour. it sounds like a bit an of insult to everyone's intelligence, and apparently others think so.
https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/2011/05/we_dare_ps3
https://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/ubisofts-we-dare-to-ruin-...

Verdict: Pointless

Edited on by leucocyte

leucocyte

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.