Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 481 to 500 of 597

ZeD

Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day
Part of a multi media project that contained 4 short anime films and this game.
One of the films won the Grand Prize at the 16th Japan Media arts festival with another being nominated for an Oscar! So it seems like a big deal.
So now the game...
It was described as an anime with gameplay elements and can be completed in just over an hour. To me it seems like they were aiming to expand the subject of the project into other art forms.
From a subject point of view, it seems important but as a game, kinda pointless. I would imagine if you were that heavy into the project you could just watch the cutscenes on YouTube
Verdict: 1

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@ZeD @Ralizah @LieutenantFatman @leucocyte

I think you are done. Just waiting the clarified result if that is okay please team on the main thread.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

Okay, this week you guys have a couple games I can help with. I've played all of the following games multiple times, often on multiple systems where available.

Star Trek (2013) is a third-person co-operative shooter / platformer (imagine if Mass Effect and Uncharted had a baby with pointed ears). It was a direct tie-in to the release of Star Trek Into Darkness, the second of the "Kelvin Timeline" reboot films for this venerable old franchise. The entire cast signed up (or were contractually-obliged) to provide their vocal talents to an original story leading directly into the opening of the new movie. Oh, and the music is excellent... and that's pretty much everything nice I can think of to say. Hardcore fans will force themselves to find fun, and there are some really good ideas peppered throughout its average-to-good runtime (the freefall sections are pretty neat) but otherwise, this is a derivative, poorly-optimised game from start to finish. Famous for its glitches, hampered by stop-start loading screen interruptions and publicly attacked by JJ Abrams, this was shown the airlock by most. I'd recommend Not Important because I'm kind to games in which I can see the raw potential (and not because I'm a huge Trekkie).

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes is another "bridge two things" tie-in game; this time, the action it set between the first and second seasons of the much-better-than-you-think-it-is animated show, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Gameplay tries to emulate the LEGO games, offering you at least two characters at any given point and therefore allowing for drop-in / drop-out co-operative play. Run (and occasionally fly) about as a Jedi, using Force powers and your lightsaber, or as a Clone, engaging in twin-stick cover-based shooting. Just as above, it's a surprisingly-lengthy campaign giving a good representation of the show's distinctive art style, and pretty much every character pops up to deal with the new, original villain of the piece... and again, just as above, the PS3 version is plagued with screen-tearing and terrible lighting in later levels. Platforming is imprecise and combat is simplistic and without the LEGO charm, it all kinda falls a little flat. Truly a game from the brown side of the Force; only hardcore fans need apply. Chalk up another Not Important recommendation from me.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is likely the best-known Star Wars game of the last console generation. The core of a huge multimedia event, similar to Shadows of the Empire back in 1996, it tells the story of Darth Vader's secret apprentice (a story which now, thanks to Disney, has been completely overwritten). It also impressively combined Havok physics, Euphoria A.I. animations and Pixelux DMM to create the best representation of wielding the Force to date; enemies flail realistically as you pick them up and blast them through glass windows, or giant wooden doors collapse in a shower of splinters as you gleefully throw Wookiees at them. Experimentation with your powers is encouraged, making the otherwise-linear levels feel a little more alive and interactive than they probably should. It remains an impressive technical achievement to this day, even if it nearly bankrupted LucasArts to deliver it, and that's without considering the solid combo-based lightsaber combat and cinematic boss battles that represent the other two-thirds of gameplay. Wrapped in a compelling storyline with well-acted characters (both original and returning from the films), it's a very nice slice of Star Wars, as well as a pretty decent action game to boot. I'd personally recommend Important for this one.

I wouldn't for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, though. Without wanting to give too much away, this sequel caught many by surprise simply because it felt so unnecessary. And it still does; ending far too quickly on a cliffhanger which we'll now never see resolved (thank you, Disney) there's very little here to recommend, beyond "more of the same" and even then, it's already feeling stale and kinda limited. Let me use an example to explain. Before release, artwork showing Yoda on Dagobah was paraded around and it was confirmed that Dagobah would be a level. Fans got really excited; explore the swamp! Enter the mysterious tree! Awesome! So you start playing and, sure enough, you eventually land on Dagobah. It looks gorgeous, so atmospheric. You walk about a fifty meters down a path from your ship. There's a not-so-hidden collectible off to the left, which you easily grab. You walk another fifty meters and there's Yoda. He triggers a five minute cutscene... and that's it. You leave Dagobah (not even regaining control to walk back to your ship; the cutscene transitions you to elsewhere). It all feels a little hollow, like it was rushed or cut for budget or something. If it were the middle of a trilogy as originally planned, it might be worth something but as it is? No. It runs and plays well, so I'd be fair and call it Existing, but wouldn't object if you dragged it down further.

Hope this helps y'all, and best of luck with the rest of your rankings!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ZeD

@RogerRoger Force Unleashed 2 is a strange one. As a game it is not half bad as it is more of the first but it was not needed at all. The first game wrapped the story up in a neat package and the premise of the second felt so forced.

ZeD

ZeD

Here are ouor games for this week :/

Team Micro Transactions
@ZeD @Ralizah @leucocyte @LieutenantFatman @Rudy_Manchego @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Sports Champion08 Zindagi Games
Sports Champions 2 Zindagi Games
SSX Electronic Arts
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International tri-Ace
Star Trek (2013 video game) Digital Extremes
Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes Krome Studios
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed LucasArts
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II LucasArts
Starhawk LightBox Interactive
Start the Party Supermassive Games
Start the Party! Save the World Supermassive Games
Stormrise The Creative Assembly
Street Fighter IV Capcom / Dimps
Street Fighter X Tekken Capcom / Namco

ZeD

LieutenantFatman

SSX Electronic Arts - Improved graphics from the classic PS2 games but missed the best trick of all, allowing you to play properly play against other people online. I believe they may have eventually added this in a patch once most people had moved on, too little too late. Still a fun game though.
Verdict - 3

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed LucasArts - Quite entertaining at the time, was always dissapointed at how ineffective the lighsabers were though compared to the films versions. Story telling was occassionally fun.
Verdict - 3

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II LucasArts - Cheap cash in and not at all memorable, any effort they put into story telling in the previous game was dropped for this one, game play was ok though.
Verdict - 2

Street Fighter IV Capcom / Dimps - Superb fighter, great fun in both single player and online.
Verdict - 5

Street Fighter X Tekken Capcom / Namco - Pretty good fighter but not as good as either of the games it draws from.
Verdict - 3

LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

Copy and pasting Karl's (Edit: oops, I mean KALofKRYPTON's) contribution to this thread:

Sports Champions
VERY IMPORTANT
The easiest sell of all of the launch games for Move and a pretty good one at that. Sports Champions, to cut a long story short, just works. The included content was relatively light, but I found myself playing far more waggle table tennis, disc golf and archery with as close to 1:1 controls as you could want. The presentation was serviceable and multiplayer was a breeze.
An easy-on 'show off' game for the Move and was leagues ( )better than Wii Sports.

Start the Party
EXISTING
I personally really enjoyed Start The Party. I played it with my little girl a lot, but it was just a bit too lacking in content. It worked really well, what was there was fun, but beyond entertaining my toddler - I didn't do much else with it.

Street Fighter X Tekken
EXISTING
Make no mistake; Street Fighter X Tekken is a deep, challenging and robust fighting game that is- in true fighting game fashion - as accessible as it is arcane.
A stunning roster of characters from the titular franchises and beyond and tight gameplay most reminiscent of Street Fighter IV. Developed by Capcom, even the Tekken characters are extremely well handled - there are balancing issues here and there, but the majority of match ups can work out well enough due to the tag system.
This is a game that could and should've been huge. I'm still not entirely sure why it wasn't.

Starhawk
NOT IMPORTANT
Textbook hopes and dreams ruination in video game form! (for a Warhawk fan like me, at least)
I was excited for Starhawk, I really was. Then I got in on the beta with a couple of Warhawk buddies. Beyond the promise of transforming planes, this game was a massive disappointment - not quite Wahawk in space.
The newly introduced building systems (think fortnight, but better) were Ok, but the game really changed a lot of the thrilling gameplay beats from Warhawk that just left folks like me who were looking for more Warhawk out in the cold.
It reviewed well - but side-by-side, people loved Warhawk, whereas most people don't even remember Starhawk.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

KALofKRYPTON

@LieutenantFatman
Untitled

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@LieutenantFatman
Any opportunity to bust out a 'Coral' meme is appreciated!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

ZeD wrote:

@RogerRoger Force Unleashed 2 is a strange one. As a game it is not half bad as it is more of the first but it was not needed at all. The first game wrapped the story up in a neat package and the premise of the second felt so forced.

@ZeD I'm glad it's not just me who felt that way. Last year I played through both games and things start so well for the sequel. Kamino and Cato Nemoidia are great fun, showing a lot of promise, but then the developers / writers just seem to give up. The answers to a lot of questions are left unresolved, betraying the rather beautiful ending of the first game. And crikey, does that final duel drag on!

Not sure I'll ever bother playing it again, if I'm honest... or, if I do, I'll choose the Dark Side ending (which at least removes that frustrating cliffhanger).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LieutenantFatman

@Ralizah
Thanks, appreciated!

Also thanks Roger for the input this round. With yours and Kal's help this should be one of the easiest rounds so far for the team.

LieutenantFatman

RogerRoger

@LieutenantFatman @ZeD Always happy to help!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

The fourth Star Ocean game, and it functions as a prequel to the original. This PS3 version of the game contained additional content that was missing from the original Xbox 360 release. The game was generally praised for its visuals, music, and gameplay, and is considered one of the best games in the series.

Verdict: 3

@ZeD @leucocyte @LieutenantFatman @Rudy_Manchego @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Alright, folks, we need to get these in the bag. Only two left.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LieutenantFatman

Stormrise
A failed experiment, an attempt at trying new innovative mechanics for RTS on consoles, but sadly the result is a cumbersome and frustrating buggy mess of a game. Overall a disappointing effort, and one that should only be looked at by those who are desperate to play some real time strategy on consoles. A few more months work were very much needed here.
Verdict: 2

LieutenantFatman

themcnoisy

@ZeD @leucocyte @LieutenantFatman @Rudy_Manchego @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

How are you getting on in thread team? The results have dried up but that's okay. I thought this would happen due to the laborious nature of the first section and the fact everyone has a life which gets in the way. If it's possible post the final result of last week into the main thread please. If you feel its better / easier the remaining active members can split into the other teams for a short time.

The thread enjoyment will ratchet up shortly I promise.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

ZeD

@themcnoisy currently away in Cornwall with very poor Internet. I thought this list was sorted but I have had no notifications from this thread for a few days.
😕

ZeD

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.