Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 597

ZeD

WTF - why have I not received any notifications from this thread?! Damn Pushsquare!

Just Record of Agarest War Zero & Record of Agarest War Zero 2 to sort out.

Edited on by ZeD

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

Th3solution

Your team’s list this week is probably one of the strongest lists I’ve seen this whole project. Pretty heavy on the Very Important and Important I would say. Of course Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite PS3 games and I would say a no brainer for VI. Ratchet and Clank, Rayman, Resident Evil, ... there are some big names in there.
But I wanted to say, don’t sleep on Remember Me. This title by Dontnod, pre- Life is Strange and Vampyr, did not catch on widely but I think is under appreciated. As a third person action game it has a decent amount of polish and good presentation. The game plays fairly well and artistically I think Neo-Paris is nice to look at, although I think the color scheme and textures are a bit bland, even for the sterile futuristic feel they are going for. Nilin is a really great protagonist, and although certainly not the first female protagonist in an action game, it was not seen quite as frequently as it is now with Aloy, Chloe Frazier, Senua, etc of this gen. The real strength of the game is in the unique concepts that it introduced of memory remixing and memory stealing and manipulation. It was an innovative setting and although the implementation had room for growth, it was a fresh take on the genre. Unfortunately the game underperformed saleswise I think, and it’s one of those situations where a sequel would probably be really good to fine tune some of the weaknesses of the inaugural effort, alas, the planned sequel will probably not be here any time soon, mostly because Life is Strange is taking up the studio’s time.
I thoroughly enjoyed the game and it’s really one of the diamonds in the rough last gen; I would like to call the game ‘Important’, but I could understand if based on the criticisms and lukewarm commercial success if it were to be labeled ‘existing’.
Just my 2 cents. Wouldn’t want it to get swallowed up in all the big name AAA titles you have this week.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

leucocyte

i have refrained from scoring RDR, because personally i hated it (and everyone else has scored it a 5).. though i do appreciate it's an impressively built game for PS3, and very few big rockstar games are less than important.

as for the R&C games.. for me, the two main games in the 'Future' series - Tools of Destruction, and A Crack In Time (which is being scored by another team) are the best and most important of the series on PS3, imo. All 4 One was an experiment with co-op, it was ok, and there's some fun in the co-op aspect, but its missing something the other games have, it's a bit lacklustre overall. Quest for Booty i thought was really good, but it was a short 4-hour mini-adventure between ToD and ACIT, and i would probably have scored it a 4 if it had been a full size title. it's not entirely essential though to the R&C Future series, so scored it accordingly. Q-Force (or Full Frontal Assault) was an attempt to do tower defense R&C style.. while it has the weaponry and humour, the whole experience just doesn't quite work imo.. there are better tower defense games, and much better R&C games.

Edited on by leucocyte

leucocyte

Ralizah

Record of Agarest War 2 has the strengths of the original, but superior narrative elements, a stronger battle system, a more streamlined campaign (it's apparently much less long and repetitive than the original), and a more polished presentation altogether (primarily in terms of the character sprites, which are much more animated than the fairly static ones in the original).

Verdict: 3

Record of Agarest War Zero is a prequel to the original game. Like RoAW2, it's a good deal more streamlined than the first game and features some improvements on gameplay and presentation, but it's still the inferior game compared to the sequel.

Verdict: 2.5

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

LieutenantFatman

Good job team, here's our new list pasted from the main thread:

SBK 2011: Superbike World Championship Milestone
SBK Generations Milestone
SBK X: Superbike World Championship Milestone
Scene It? Bright Lights! Big Screen! Artificial Mind and Movement
Schlag den Raab: Das 2. Spiel' Sproing
Schlag den Raab: Das 3. Spiel Sproing
SCORE International Baja 1000 Left Field Productions
Sega Rally Revo Sega Racing Studio
Sega Superstars Tennis Sumo Digital
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes Capcom
Sengoku Basara 3 Capcom
Shadows of the Damned Grasshopper Manufacture
Shaun White Skateboarding Ubisoft Montreal
Shaun White Snowboarding Ubisoft Montreal
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails Rebellion Developments
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments Frogwares
Shift 2: Unleashed Slightly Mad Studios
Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day Grasshopper Manufacture
Shrek Forever After XPEC
Silent Hill: Downpour Vatra Games
Silent Hill HD Collection Hijinx Studios
Silent Hill Homecoming Double Helix Games / Konami Digital Entertainment

LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

So, the only game on this list I've played is Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments, which I really enjoyed playing with my wife. It's got some really unique mechanics.

The fact that you can potentially accuse the wrong person and put them in prison (or worse) really adds so much weight to your decision making and makes you want to feel certain you found all the clues so you don't jump to the wrong conclusion. And having the choice of what happens to the suspects you confront / accuse is a really nice touch as well.

LieutenantFatman

Ralizah

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14uRdE72JtbW4N3dPmgzaf...

I'm only familiar with the Silent Hill HD Collection, which was a uniformly terrible set of ports.

Haven't played any of the post-SH4 games in the series. I have Homecoming, but I can't quite bring myself to experience what I know is going to be a profound disappointment.

Edited on by Ralizah

leucocyte

haven't played a single game on this week's list.

leucocyte

Ralizah

@leucocyte @ZeD @LieutenantFatman Alright. We need to get these games categorized.

SBK 2011: Superbike World Championship Milestone
SBK Generations Milestone
SBK X: Superbike World Championship Milestone
Schlag den Raab: Das 2. Spiel' Sproing
Schlag den Raab: Das 3. Spiel Sproing
SCORE International Baja 1000 Left Field Productions
Sega Rally Revo Sega Racing Studio
Sega Superstars Tennis Sumo Digital
Sengoku Basara 3 Capcom
Shaun White Skateboarding Ubisoft Montreal
Shaun White Snowboarding Ubisoft Montreal
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails Rebellion Developments
Shift 2: Unleashed Slightly Mad Studios
Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day Grasshopper Manufacture
Shrek Forever After XPEC

I'll do:
Sengoku Basara 3 Capcom
Shrek Forever After XPEC

That should leave 13 for the other three of you.

Ralizah

Scene It? Bright Lights! Big Screen!
A movie trivia game with some cute customizable avatars, although the presentation is a step down from previous iterations of this series, apparently.
Verdict: 1

Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Hack'n'slash musou title from Capcom. The third game in the series, and the only one to receive a worldwide release. While it didn't review brilliantly, it seems to be something of a cult classic among many PS3 owners. This game isn't pushing tech boundaries, but is a fun little game regardless.

Sengoku Basara 3
As far as I can tell, this is the same thing as Samurai Heroes. Samurai Heroes is what the game was called overseas, while Sengoku Basara 3 was the Japanese title.
Verdict: Omitted

Shrek Forever After
Licensed shovelware. Little of redeeming value.

Silent Hill: Downpour
Better and scarier than Homecoming with a decent amount of exploration and puzzles, but still fails to live up to the standards of the Japanese-developed Team Silent games.
Verdict: 2

Silent Hill: Homecoming
Without a doubt the worst game in the series (putting aside the spinoff... thing on the Vita). It's not a terrible video game in and of itself, but the Western team that took the reigns didn't understand, at all, what made the older games great, resulting in an uninspired effort.

Edited on by Ralizah

ZeD

SCORE International Baja 1000
Mediocre racing game with poor reviews

Sega Rally Revo
Standard run of the mill arcade racer. Have favorably reviews but seem to have the same complaint that it has no lasting appeal

Sega Superstars
On the back of the multi character sports games found on the GameCube, Sega looked like they wanted a piece of the pie. Good for fans, ok tennis game but not setting the world on fire

Shaun White Skateboarding
Released at the time when Skate was the best game and tony hawks games were drying up. Shaun White Skateboarding offers Tony Hawk style gameplay to those who found Skate to realistic.
I am going to give this one a Verdict of 4

If I get chance I will sort some more out later

ZeD

leucocyte

Shellshock 2
First person shooter, set during vietnam war, that tried to mix a bit of horror survival. Almost universally bad reviews, it averages 30 (x360) and 35 (PS3) on metacritic. Supposedly it's technically inept, plays woefully.. and according to PlayUK magazine "an entirely useless exercise in gaming terms".

Edited on by leucocyte

leucocyte

leucocyte

anybody speak german?. Schlag den Raab appears to be a party/mini-games compendium based on a german gameshow (and playable with PS Move), but i can't find any pages/sites on it in english (or dutch - which i also understand).

leucocyte

LieutenantFatman

SBK 2011: Superbike World Championship
Built on a budget, and too difficult to get into for anyone who isn't a motorcyle fanatic. Realistic but not fun. The most panned of the SBK games and so probably best avoided.

SBK Generations
This came out the following year and was thankfully an improvement, it sounds like it was easier to play and less bugs but the graphics, sound and AI weren't particularly good so still nothing essential here.

SBK X: Superbike World Championship
Oddly this is the oldest of the 3 games, coming out in 2010 but also the most highly praised as well. It seems to be a different group of reviewers so hard to know for sure if this is in fact the best of the bunch as we lack continuity. But the comments from both reviewers and players seems to be the most positive for this entry so a relatively safe bet that it's the most enjoyable.

LieutenantFatman

leucocyte

Shaun White Snowboarding
very mixed reviews on this one, averages around 6/10. Consensus seems to have been a game with potential, but needed more development. hampered by sluggish framerate, unintuitive control scheme that takes some getting used to, and an identity crisis whether it wants to be arcade or sim. it's open mountain which appears to have lots to do, but not much variety.

Edited on by leucocyte

leucocyte

themcnoisy

@leucocyte I'm glad you googled the German game. I was worried what might come up lol.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

LieutenantFatman

Shift 2: Unleashed
A decent racing game, that is good fun, but not innovative enough to be in anyway essential. Seems to divide opinion a lot, some get really stuck into it, others find it somewhat dull and frustrating. But definitely worth a look for racing games looking for something halfway between arcade and sim, especially if they enjoy getting stuck into the customisation.

LieutenantFatman

ZeD

@leucocyte I had a quick look and it got some good reviews (German of course).
It is one of those games that I would imagine has a very niche following. Maybe a place in Not Important?

ZeD

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.