Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 597

ZeD

I am going to put all the Major League Baseball games in Pointless. Very niche and I don't think they captured what makes the game special to fans..

Just Mayhem and the Medal of Honor left

Edited on by ZeD

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

Ralizah

@ZeD So, I don't like sports, watch them, or play sports games, but are the MLB games really that bad?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@ZeD No. I would personally put most sports games in "pointless," as they quickly lose value once a new one comes out. They're the most disposable type of video game I've ever seen. Almost nobody enjoys playing older sports games.

Ralizah

Updated the rankings in the first post.

Ralizah

Mayhem Left Field Productions
An interesting car action game with neat, comic book-inspired art design and modes inspired by destruction derbies (set in arenas, obviously) and banger racing (never heard of this before, but apparently it's a thing in the UK?). Additionally, there's a career mode, online and local co-op, and the game actually has 3D support (not hugely common among PS3 games, I've noticed). The visual design is great, and the gameplay is fun enough for what it is, but a common complaint is that the gameplay doesn't really evolve or deepen as you play through the game. Also, the career mode is apparently fairly short. So it's a fun but somewhat disposable experience.

Verdict: Unimportant

Medal of Honor: Airborne EA Los Angeles
A very cool-looking FPS that eschews linear, cinematic sequences (ala CoD: Modern Warfare) for large maps filled with self-contained objectives that can be tackled in a non-linear manner. This design approach helps with replayability in terms of the single-player campaign. At the beginning of a mission, you could parachute to pretty much any place on the map, further feeding into the non-linear design philosophy/ You're given briefings at the beginning of missions that help you to understand your broader goals. It featured at-the-time innovative features such as being able to hold onto your grenade for a few seconds to control when it explodes after you throw it as well as featuring a system where you're able to upgrade your weapons the more you use them. It also has an interesting and forgiving system that doesn't force you to restart a mission entirely upon death. Instead, you parachute back into the field and continue on with your mission. This makes the game a good deal more accessible than it might have otherwise been for less skilled players. While this game didn't become the defining model for FP shooters going forward, it appears to have ahead-of-its-time in terms of its mature design philosophy and holds up fairly well as a solo experience today. Multiplayer was apparently solid but not as influential as what the Call of Duty games would go on to do.

Verdict: Important

That should make this week's list complete.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry I haven't been much help at all this week team 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ZeD

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Don't worry. To be honest, even though not a lot of the team had played any of the games, it was an easy week. The list contained a lot stand out games that were easy to place. It was just then a quick research on others to see where they place (plus we had two sports franchises which helpes as the fan base did all the work for us!)

ZeD

Ralizah

Foxy has more than pulled her weight so far. Especially that one week when most of the team was AWOL.

leucocyte

sorry guys, i did manage to put my scores in earlier in the week, but thurs/fri was exceptionally busy at the office to have time look at the rest that nobody played. the list looks ok to me. i think certain sports games can be important/influential, regardless if they are annual or not, because sometimes they introduce new features, or overhaul the game into a different direction. i've no specific knowledge of the 2K MLB games (US sports don't interest me) though, but the fact it critically and commercially got left behind by Sony's MLB:The Show series probably says more than enough.

Edited on by leucocyte

leucocyte

Jaz007

I know it was locked in, it you guys have got to reconsider Mercs 2.
Mercs 2 is one of the worst sequels ever made. It did everything worse. The way the aiming, driving, and whatnot was worse. It added awful quick-time events when you hijacked a vehicle and trying to take over tank requires to figure out a new button mashing method it’s so hard. The dialogue went from witty to bland and uninteresting. When I played the final mission, it ended with a quick time event scene, obscured by a helicopter because the game glitches. It’s a hard pointless.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

Great work getting those results in. Bravo.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

leucocyte

@ZeD @Jaz007 - i haven't played the original mercenaries either, and i rented mercenaries 2. my memory of it is not that great, but i do remember it wasn't particularly polished, quite a few bugs, terrible AI, ropey graphics and i did consider rating it as unimportant. but it did give you an open-world freedom (one of the first on PS3 that i can remember and you could do it all in co-op as well) to go around and destroy everything or set the world ablaze, jack helipcopters, etc. which did offer some fun, before its mission design got a bit repetitive. reviews seem to hover around 6-8, so i err'd on the more optimistic side and gave it an 'existing' rating, even if its ambition was marred by its execution.

leucocyte

Jaz007

@leucocyte @ZeD I’d prefer at least nor important, especially because the first was so so much better, but it’s not my call to make so if you guys don’t want to move it down I’ll accept that.

Jaz007

ZeD

@Jaz007
Ok, as you have played the original and have something to compare it too, I will take your thoughts into account and drop it down as @leucocyte already gave some good points on it as a stand alone game.
Thanks peeps!

ZeD

Ralizah

@ZeD

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14uRdE72JtbW4N3dPmgzaf...

New Phase version of the sheet is live. I just re-purposed the one we've been using. Once we get the names, you can fill out the user scores page. We can explain the basic rule set we've been using at that point to the other teams, yeah?

Also, I changed it slightly. Unsorted games are in the "Unsorted" column to make the "Existing" section easier to keep clean. Otherwise, it's the same as always.

Edited on by Ralizah

themcnoisy

@Ralizah good work. I'm looking forward to this!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.