Forums

Topic: Team Microtransactions (MTX) PS3 Library Deliberation Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 597

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah It was just... Disappointing. It looked bad, had OK level design and mostly just left you wanting to play GodenEye - which is saying something!
There are at least 4 James Bond games released earlier, and some on older systems that are way better.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Actually, I've pretty much covered everything, but thanks.

And fair points from @KALofKRYPTON there as well. It's all subjective of course, and I'd agree that there are far better Bond experiences out there (NightFire and Everything or Nothing beat it down to third place in my book, and it's probably tied with Agent Under Fire, with both versions of Blood Stone also contenders) but I can't personally say that it makes me wanna play the N64 original. It holds my attention, for sure.

But then you're talking to two folks from two slightly different generations here, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger GoldenEye has dated horribly, I've no wish to play it again - as with pretty much everything else on the N64, it would just be disappointing

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

HallowMoonshadow

To be honest I'd only consider Folklore an existing @ZeD and I quite enjoyed it

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

mookysam

I've only played Goldeneye on the Wii. I enjoyed it for what it was, though thought it had some frustrating design issues and actually felt a little dated in places. It was reasonably well received on the Wii - a system not known for FPS games. On the PS3, however, the genre was very well established, and I have to be honest and say that Goldeneye doesn't come close to the best FPS games available. As big a Bond fan as I am, my own personal take would be that it is "existing".

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

leucocyte

i've added my scores. i gave a few 5's to games i don't even like (gran turismo 5, GTA IV, GTA V), because i see their importance to PS3, and wider gaming. GT5 is the biggest selling exclusive PS3 game by a fair distance, it's sold more than 12m copies, and is one of the main reasons why PS3 started gaining momentum after a couple of years of sluggish start. after GT5 came out, PS3 was outselling the X360 by 2:1 in Europe, before surpassing its install base by quite a margin. GTA IV and V... are GTA. i tried both of them.. i just can't get on with rockstar games. i can see they're expertly made, and big in scope.. but it's like they gave the design of gameplay controls about 5 minutes worth of attention. clunky and unplayable for me.

Edited on by leucocyte

leucocyte

Th3solution

Feel free to check our thread if you like where I discuss the Guitar Hero franchise. I’m not an expert so if anyone has direct experience please chime in, but according to my research, your game Guitar Hero 3 is deemed the best of the series, so probably very important. Maybe at least important. But I think it really set a standard for the genre before all these other games killed it off.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Just to let everyone know, I'm going to be out of town for the rest of the week starting tomorrow evening, so I won't be much help with this batch. I'll try to update the list when possible, though.

I've cleaned up the spreadsheet and the list.

I'll be taking on 4 games to rank. I'll post my scores today:
Germany's Next Top Model 2011 dtp entertainment AG
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Double Helix Games
The Golden Compass Shiny Entertainment
The Guided Fate Paradox Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.

That should leave 12 games between the rest of the team members.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

Germany's Next Top Model 2011

Shockingly, this one is an unimpressive piece of shovelware. At least, based on what I've gleaned from the German Let's Play that is the only source of information I could find on it.

Verdict: Pointless
-
-
-
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

A poorly received action game that has low-quality cutscenes, poor controls, and unimpressive visuals.

-
-
-
The Golden Compass

Looks like a PS2 game. Reviews from both critics and users frequently use words as "atrocious," "boring," and "terrible."

-
-
-
The Guided Fate Paradox

This is a story-heavy rouge-like dungeon crawler with a very similar style of presentation to the Disgaea games. It's not pushing any tech limits, but reviewers and players seem to enjoy the game's decent narrative and prevalent sense of humor. It's alright, but hardly a jewel of the system. Didn't see any complaints about tech issues.

Verdict: Unimportant

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

leucocyte

i'll take these three:

Golden Axe: Beast Rider Secret Level
Gran Turismo 6 Polyphony Digital
Grand Slam Tennis 2 EA Canada

leucocyte

HallowMoonshadow

Well I'm taking

Godzilla (2014 video game) Natsume

Green Day: Rock Band Harmonix / Demiurge Studios

Guardians of Middle-Earth Monolith Productions

So the remainkng games @ZeD are

G-Force Eurocom
Gladiator VS Acquire
The Godfather: The Don's Edition EA Redwood Shores
The Godfather II EA Redwood Shores
Grease Dance Zoë Mode
Guilty Gear Xrd Arc System Works

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

leucocyte

Golden Axe: Beast Rider - almost universally panned, reviews for it are not favourable. janky graphics, horrendous screen-tear, unimaginative level design, lacklustre gameplay... are just some of the common complaints.

Gran Turismo 6 - Generally favourably reviewed with an 81 metacritic rating [got a 9/10 here on pushsquare], it seems to be more of a refinement of GT5, improving some of the niggly/irksome features of that game, rather than being something new and different in its own right. it came out at the same time PS4 launched, so releasing a PS3 only game at that point in time would have limited its scope/appeal. i can only assume sony did put this in development for PS4 because it thought driveclub would launch with the console. given that the first GT on PS4 went for more of an online/e-sports focus with a much reduced pool of cars (200 rather than 1200), GT6 seems to be a case of one last-hurrah on PS3 rather than looking to the future.

Verdict: Existing

Grand Slam Tennis 2 - licensed tennis game from EA that according to many reviews doesn't serve up an ace compared to its rivals, including the superior Top Spin 4. it has PSMove support, though its implementation has been described as 'not-quite-quite', 'decent-but-flawed', 'promising', and 'more fun that the controller' among other descriptions. - all around it seems to be a solid effort, with the some of the best tennis visuals on PS3, it's just lacking in a few areas - several reviews mentioned a lacklustre career mode, and not really having an identity of its own.

Verdict: Unimportant

leucocyte

HallowMoonshadow

Godzilla (2014 video game) Natsume

IMPORTANCE TO GAMING AS OF TODAY

It's the only Godzilla game to be on PS3 worldwide. This came out in 2014 in japan whereas it was released in 2015 for everywhere else!

There's also a PS4 version of this game (that came out the same day as the PS3 port in the west) which comes with a few more kaiju and an online fighting mode... as it's actually an updated re-release called Godzilla VS in Japan.

So already out the gate the PS3 version isn't as good as it's next gen version.

For gaming as a whole... Really not important.

For the Godzilla series as a whole... He's been in two(?) games since. One with "sinister shadows" and other monsters called City Shrouded in Shadow that only came out in Japan... The other being a vr demo called Shin Godzilla that was released worldwide.

Otherwise the king of monsters has been relegated to mobile games since.

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT

Once again we have a review for it by our very own Robert Ramsey!

www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/godzilla

For the PS4 version but there's only the online vs mode that's REALLY different...

It's not that technically impressive with blandish environments, ok graphics and very generic sounding/looking gameplay.

Which is a shame, Godzilla's a big ol' dino monster with atomic breath... What's not to love?

ARTISTIC MERIT

Gameplay in Godzilla's main mode of "God of Destruction" mainly consists of smashing buildings, army forces to destroy G-Energy generators within each level with occasional fights against other Kaiju.

Not off to a great start.

It's ten stages long with 25 different levels. Also apparently in the PS3 version you can only play as Godzilla.

There's "King of the Monsters" mode which is six stages of purely fighting the other Kaiju in varying teams. You CAN play as any monster in this mode.

There's also "Evolution" mode which is where you can give Godzilla different abilities... Doesn't seem to be much different otherwise about this mode.

There's no offline multiplayer mode sadly which seems like a really big misfire as it's probably the funnest thing you could do and the online VS mode isn't in the PS3 version elther.

There's also a diorama mode where you can place monster models and take screenshots of them and a "Kaiju Field Guide" which is pictures and biographies of the various monsters.

I'd say the game gets one thing undoubtedly right at least in that the roster of monsters is nice snd seemingly recreated faithfully with:

• Godzilla (1989, 1964, 1995, and 2014 versions)
  • Anguirus
  • Rodan
  • Mothra
  • King Ghidorah
  • Hedorah
  • Mechagodzilla (1974 and 1975 versions)
  • Biollante
  • Battra (Larva and Imago versions)
  • SpaceGodzilla
  • Destoroyah
  • Gigan
  • Super Mechagodzilla
  • Mecha-King Ghidorah
  • Type-3 Kiryu
  • Jet Jaguar

They all have varying playstyles. Though apparently they're not balanced in the slightest.

I don't know any of them beyond Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah and Rodan (with the last three only because of the new US film and looking them up after hearing about them 😅)

PERSONAL OPINION

I liked the PS2 game War Of The Monsters back in the day and from reading/watching up on this I was hoping this would be an improvement over it... WotM is honestly the better game despite being eleven years older then this.

FINAL VERDICT

1 - Pointless (Struggled against between 1 or 2... I'd give the PS4 version a point higher regardless because of the additional stuff)

HallowMoonshadow

Green Day: Rock Band Harmonix / Demiurge Studios

... Well both Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and the whole Rhythm game genre, are pretty much dead in the water aren't they?

Green Day: Rock band (GD:RB from here on in) didn't do anything new for either the musical game genre or the Rock Band series as a whole.

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT

GD:RB actually loses some stuff im fact from previous games in the series such as clapping or tambourine sections for vocalists... And the career mode lets you choose whatever song you like from the start rather then working your way through progressively harder songs.

There's only three venues (with slight variations for each song) but the performances for each song are different at least. Graphics are nice enough as well.

ARTISTIC MERIT

There's songs from 3 three entire albums (technically... you have to import 6 from 21st Century Breakdown from a previous Rock Band or buy the plus version of GD:RB). But there's 3 albums between Dookie and American idiot (5 if you count compilation albums) that get only a song or two each of representation.

They're all radio edits too. Laaaaaame.

Plus compared to Guitar Hero: Metallica (The only game in the Rhythm game genre I have played) the band was performed through motion capture by actors copying footage... Rather then the actual band members themselves.

PERSONAL OPINION

I like Green Day's music.

The decision to mainly focus on Dookie, American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown is disheartening

I guess I do feel Green Day's tracks are more hit and miss overall in-between Dookie and American Idiot, with the pair and 21st Century Breakdown (even if I don't actually like this one) are probably the band's strongest material as a whole.

Still compared to Guitar Hero: Metallica that has at LEAST one song from every album up to that point (Including the 11 minute epic Mercyful Fate (A cover of 5 Mercyful Fate songs) from Garage Inc which is a cover album of all things) ... I feel GD:RB's focus on GD's three best albums is a little diminishing of the bands middling years.

Admittedly I feel Metallica just has a bigger number of good songs overall too... AND GH: Metallica has 21 other songs from the Metal/Rock genre to play as well chosen by Metallica themselves... Green Day Rock Band ONLY has Green Day's music... So if you get sick of playing the same GD music... You're kinda outta luck

FINAL VERDICT

1 - Pointless (Trying not to be biased with my love of the band or too critical thanks to GH:Metallica)

HallowMoonshadow

Guardians of Middle-Earth Monolith Productions

Doesn't seem to have done anything in particular for the MOBA genre... In fact the games delisted off PSN and the servers are offline. Soooo not going well.

Not made any impact for the LoTR brand either really. Though Monolith got to make Shadow of Mordor after this...

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT

Looks ok I guess, being a lower budgeted game. Many reviews cite long waiting times and some technical bugs however.

ARTISTIC MERIT

It's League of legends but done with LoTR. There doesn't seem to be anything new or different about this game.

PERSONAL OPINION

I didn't think this'd be a MOBA. I have noooooo experience with the genre at all. As a general rule I don't play games with only an online only focus in case it gets delisted or the servers get taken down... Which is exactly what's happened to this.

FINAL VERDICT

1 - Pointless

(Sorry it's so short and crummy compared to my other takes!)

HallowMoonshadow

D'awwww @Ralizah 😆 Thanks a bunch!

Happy Easter and hope you have a nice trip!!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

themcnoisy

Can we have a lock please team.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.