Forums

Topic: Team [404 - Team Name Not Found] Deliberation Station

Posts 341 to 360 of 496

Th3solution

@Jaz007 @themcnoisy @TowaHerschel7 @RogerRoger @Frigate

Thanks Noisy and Rog for the early votes. For Towa and Frig (and Jaz if you’re out there and not still trapped in the airport) if you have votes to cast then I’ll take those into consideration, or if you want to agree with the two early posted votes which are pretty much in line with one another, then that’s fine too. For me I think I agree with the consensus that Noisy and Rog have so far. My only question is the fishing games - namely the Pro Bass which has been deemed ‘important’. Seems a tad generous, but I’m not a fan of the genre so hard for me to say.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Frigate

Here we go.

🎮Prototype - Important
🎮Prototype 2 - Existing
🎮Puppeteer - Important
🎮Pure - Important
Pure Football - Pointless
Puss in Boots - Existing
Putty Squad - Pointless
Quantum Theory - Not Important
🎮R.U.S.E. - Important Awesome game. Way ahead of it's time, like Tom Clancy's Endwar.
Ra.One: The Game - Not Important
🎮Race Driver: GRID - Important
🎮Race Driver: GRID 2 - Existing
Racquet Sports - Pointless
🎮Rage - Existing
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE - Existing
🎮Rango - Existing
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009 - Existing
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing - Important
🎮Ratatouille - Existing
🎮Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - Important

👍

Frigate

Th3solution

@Frigate Gracias, mi compadre.

themcnoisy

@Th3solution my final votes

Prototype Radical Entertainment - Existing
Prototype 2 Radical Entertainment - Important
Puppeteer SCE Japan Studio - Important
🎮 Pure Black Rock Studios - Important
🎮 Pure Football Ubisoft Vancouver - Pointless
Puss in Boots Blitz Games - Existing
🎮 Putty Squad System 3 - Not Important
Quantum Theory Team Tachyon - Pointless
🎮 R.U.S.E. Eugen Systems - Important
Ra.One: The Game Trine Games - Not Important
Race Driver: GRID Code masters - Important
Race Driver: GRID 2 Code masters - Existing
Racquet Sports Asobo Studio - Pointless
Rage id Software - Important
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE Game Arts - Existing
Rango id Software - Existing
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009 FUN Labs - Existing
🎮 Rapala Pro Bass Fishing Activision - Important
Ratatouille Heavy Iron Studios - Not Important
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time Insomniac Games - Very Important

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@Frigate I have changed my vote for Ruse to important. Why the heck not, I would love a similar game to play today but there isn't any.

Frigate

@themcnoisy Closest thing I've found is Sudden Strike 4 which is really good albeit a bit more old fashioned. No Move support either, obviously.

Edited on by Frigate

Frigate

Jaz007

I’m just gonna have to cast one vote for Ratatouille as not important. Played it.
Thanks @th3solution for taking care of this week.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

Th3solution

@TowaHerschel7 Let me know if you have any votes to add. I’ll be trying to make a tally today for submission.

Th3solution

In full disclosure, here are my votes:

Prototype - Existing
Prototype 2 - Existing
🎮Puppeteer - Important
Pure - Existing
Pure Football - Pointless
Puss in Boots - Existing
Putty Squad - Not Important
Quantum Theory - Pointless
R.U.S.E. - Existing
Ra.One: The Game - Not Important
Race Driver: GRID - Important
Race Driver: GRID 2 - Existing
Racquet Sports - Pointless
Rage - Important
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE - Existing
Rango - Existing
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009 - Existing
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing - Existing
Ratatouille - Not Important
🎮Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - Very Important

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

Last call ...
I’ll make the final tally in a few hours.

Th3solution

@Jaz007 @themcnoisy @RogerRoger @Frigate @TowaHerschel7

Ok, since no new votes or information has come forth, this is the final tally:

Prototype Radical Entertainment - Existing
Prototype 2 Radical Entertainment - Existing
Puppeteer SCE Japan Studio - Important
Pure Black Rock Studios - Important
Pure Football Ubisoft Vancouver- Pointless
Puss in Boots Blitz Games- Existing
Putty Squad System 3 - Not Important
Quantum Theory Team Tachyon - Pointless
R.U.S.E. Eugen Systems - Important
Ra.One: The Game Trine Games - Not Important
Race Driver: GRID Codemasters - Important
Race Driver: GRID 2 Codemasters - Existing
Racquet Sports Asobo Studio - Pointless
Rage id Software - Important
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE Game Arts - Existing
Rango id Software - Existing
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009 FUN Labs - Existing
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing Activision - Important
Ratatouille Heavy Iron Studios - Not Important
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - Very Important

>>>>>>

Or, formatted in a different way, if you’d like:

Very Important -
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

Important -
Puppeteer
Pure
R.U.S.E
Race Driver: GRID
Rage
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing

Existing -
Prototype
Prototype 2
Puss in Boots
Race Driver: GRID 2
Ragnarok Odyssey
Rango
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009

Not Important -
Putty Squad
Ra.One: The Game
Ratatouille

Pointless -
Pure Football
Quantum Theory
Racquet Sports

Th3solution

Here is this week’s list for Team 404.

Rock Revolution Zoë Mode
Rocksmith Ubisoft Montreal
Rocksmith 2014 Ubisoft San Francisco
Rogue Warrior Zombie Studios / Rebellion Developments
Rugby League Live Big Ant Studios
Rugby League Live 2 Big Ant Studios
Rugby League Live 3 Big Ant Studios
Rugby World Cup 2011 Big Ant Studios
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Neverland Co.
The Saboteur Pandemic Studios
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Ascaron Entertainment
Sacred 3 Keen Games
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers Dimps Corporation
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle Dimps Corporation
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul Dimps Corporation
Saints Row 2 Volition
Saints Row: The Third Volition
Saints Row IV Volition
Saw Zombie Studios
Saw II Zombie Studios
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship Milestone
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship Milestone

Th3solution

Well, not much first hand experience this week for me. I played a little bit of Saints Row The Third, and was not very impressed. I can’t deny the success and influence of the game, and it has a nice open world sandbox feel to it, and the gameplay and combat are fair, but it just wasn’t my thing. The premise of these games all seem to be as if a 12 year old pubescent boy wrote the whole script and gameplay concepts. The series seems to try to separate itself from GTA through pushing the envelope of humor and appropriateness. The 4th game apparently is less overtly offensive. I’ve not been a fan of the GTA style crime sandbox games, so it’s hard for me to be objective. I’ve got no problem with the subject matter, and there is certainly a market for these games, but they aren’t in my wheelhouse. All of these games did pretty well sales-wise, especially the 3rd and 4th.

On Metacritic, they all are similarly well rated — SR2 is 82, SR3 is 82, SR4 is 76. So which of the 3 is the most important? I’ve no idea, but I would surmise the 3rd seems to have sold the most and made the biggest splash. I think by the 4th, they introduced super-powers and it just was akin to jumping the shark by that point and made the game too easy, according to critics. The 2nd game was the one that really innovated with the multiplayer aspect which sounds like it pushed the genre a bit. It also seems to have been the first to really push the envelope which GTA had begun to do. Saints Row 2 was one of the games that prompted an uproar in the media and amongst politicians and opponents of violence in games. Entertainment Weekly flagged the game as "racist, misogynistic, crude, cynical, humorless and stupid" and labelled it the worst game of 2008. And the game seemed to fuel legislation requiring the prominent display of age ratings on game covers. I suppose if a game causes that much of a ruckus, it’s probably important.
Feel free to chime in if you’ve played them but I’m leaning toward:
Saints Row 2 - Important
Saints Row The Third - Important
Saints Row IV - Existing

I also looked into the Saint Seiya games. I’d never heard of these at all. Apparently they are based on a popular manga. They all seem pretty average to poor, but I’ll give a more detailed summary when I have some time.

themcnoisy

The Saboteur Pandemic Studios

Pandemics last game before being disbanded by EA. I never played this game but remember the reviews and marketing well. It's an open world set in France shortly after Germany invaded and occupied the Country in WW2. It has an awesome black and white aesthetic and you are placed in the shoes of a Saboteur to help the French resistance protect the tricolour, the French, the legacy of baguettes and the right to eat uncooked mince meat (true story I ordered this in a French restaurant not knowing what it was).

Back to the game it suffered due to dodgy animations, clichéd npcs and a weak mission structure. Overall a decent game well worth a place in the Important category for its ideas and artistic merit.

LieutenantFatman

I played Sacred 2 back in 2009 in local co-op with my friend. Having played and enjoyed a few hack and slash games on the PS2 we were excited to see what could be accomplished on the PS3. And we really wanted to like Sacred 2 but after playing for several hours and really giving it a chance, as much as we wanted to like it, it was just bad. Awkward to play, very forgettable boring story, uninteresting characters and probably the least memorable hack and slash we ever played and good luck figuring out what the controls are and how everything works. To be honest we put up with some rather mediocore h&s games but this one just wasn't fun at all. And of course now Diablo 3 has shown up on consoles, it's really raised the bar.

But yeah, somewhere between not important and pointless for Sacred 2, I suspect there is some fun in there somewhere if the player has the patience to figure out what it's all about.

LieutenantFatman

Th3solution

Alright, so Saint Seiya ...
These three games are part of a game series that apparently has been around since the 80’s on NES and Gameboy. Based on a really old manga, it seems to have quite a following in Japan.
The three PS3 games seem to all be similar in gameplay, evolving over time. Described as 3D brawlers with a little RPG elements to them, they all have similar Metacritic scores in the 50-60 range.

Sanctuary Battle — the oldest of the three, came out in 2012, has the least info available online to go from but the video I watched looked like a PS2 game. Nothing impressive here.
Pointless

Brave Soldiers — came out is 2013, had a little more traction in the West by then, expanded gameplay, but still nothing earth shattering for those not into the manga series. Apparently the desire to stay true to the manga compromised the balance of gameplay and required this explanation: "Brave Soldiers is not a game designed to be balanced, but rather a game designed to emulate the show with the greatest accuracy possible." Which for me means that it’s not a good game. Playing Injustice 2 right now I see that it is possible to balance characters in creative ways so that the game is fair no matter which you like to play as.
Interestingly, this game amazingly has one outlet (GameZone) that gave it a 0.5/10. That seems harsh for a game that doesn’t explode or brick your system when you load it up. For reference, it’s a 6/10 on Push Square, but the text description doesn’t sell me on the game much.
Not Important

Soldiers’ Soul — (the grammar of the title is bugging me there, but that’s not a typo ... apparently is all the “soldiers” possessing the same singular “soul”, rather than “Soldiers’ Souls” which makes a little more sense, but what do I know). This is a cross gen game having a PS4 version as well. As such it has the most info online about it. It seemed to really expand gameplay more and has a deeper RPG type structure I think. Still nothing special and locked into only those most dedicated fans of the genre or source material. I’ll give it points for artistic merit and innovation.
Existing

As always, if anyone has firsthand experience, I’m open to suggestions.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy The Saboteur is the only game on this list that I'm familiar with; not because I've played it, but because I came damn close to getting it, based on its unique artistic style.

Thanks to @LieutenantFatman for dropping by with some thoughts on Sacred 2, much appreciated.

As always, give it a couple days and I'll be happy to mop up any outstanding analysis.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh, and thanks for your work thusfar, too (apologies, was skipping around the topic). I agree with your suggestion of Saints Row 2 being considered higher than it deserves, because of the conversation it triggered. It's unfortunate, but that's why we have these rankings and not "great, good, bad".

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic