Forums

Topic: Team [404 - Team Name Not Found] Deliberation Station

Posts 321 to 340 of 500

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Sterling work, Vice-Captain.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Here is this week’s list for Team 404.

Rock Revolution Zoë Mode
Rocksmith Ubisoft Montreal
Rocksmith 2014 Ubisoft San Francisco
Rogue Warrior Zombie Studios / Rebellion Developments
Rugby League Live Big Ant Studios
Rugby League Live 2 Big Ant Studios
Rugby League Live 3 Big Ant Studios
Rugby World Cup 2011 Big Ant Studios
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Neverland Co.
The Saboteur Pandemic Studios
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Ascaron Entertainment
Sacred 3 Keen Games
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers Dimps Corporation
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle Dimps Corporation
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul Dimps Corporation
Saints Row 2 Volition
Saints Row: The Third Volition
Saints Row IV Volition
Saw Zombie Studios
Saw II Zombie Studios
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship Milestone
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship Milestone

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

Well, not much first hand experience this week for me. I played a little bit of Saints Row The Third, and was not very impressed. I can’t deny the success and influence of the game, and it has a nice open world sandbox feel to it, and the gameplay and combat are fair, but it just wasn’t my thing. The premise of these games all seem to be as if a 12 year old pubescent boy wrote the whole script and gameplay concepts. The series seems to try to separate itself from GTA through pushing the envelope of humor and appropriateness. The 4th game apparently is less overtly offensive. I’ve not been a fan of the GTA style crime sandbox games, so it’s hard for me to be objective. I’ve got no problem with the subject matter, and there is certainly a market for these games, but they aren’t in my wheelhouse. All of these games did pretty well sales-wise, especially the 3rd and 4th.

On Metacritic, they all are similarly well rated — SR2 is 82, SR3 is 82, SR4 is 76. So which of the 3 is the most important? I’ve no idea, but I would surmise the 3rd seems to have sold the most and made the biggest splash. I think by the 4th, they introduced super-powers and it just was akin to jumping the shark by that point and made the game too easy, according to critics. The 2nd game was the one that really innovated with the multiplayer aspect which sounds like it pushed the genre a bit. It also seems to have been the first to really push the envelope which GTA had begun to do. Saints Row 2 was one of the games that prompted an uproar in the media and amongst politicians and opponents of violence in games. Entertainment Weekly flagged the game as "racist, misogynistic, crude, cynical, humorless and stupid" and labelled it the worst game of 2008. And the game seemed to fuel legislation requiring the prominent display of age ratings on game covers. I suppose if a game causes that much of a ruckus, it’s probably important.
Feel free to chime in if you’ve played them but I’m leaning toward:
Saints Row 2 - Important
Saints Row The Third - Important
Saints Row IV - Existing

I also looked into the Saint Seiya games. I’d never heard of these at all. Apparently they are based on a popular manga. They all seem pretty average to poor, but I’ll give a more detailed summary when I have some time.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

The Saboteur Pandemic Studios

Pandemics last game before being disbanded by EA. I never played this game but remember the reviews and marketing well. It's an open world set in France shortly after Germany invaded and occupied the Country in WW2. It has an awesome black and white aesthetic and you are placed in the shoes of a Saboteur to help the French resistance protect the tricolour, the French, the legacy of baguettes and the right to eat uncooked mince meat (true story I ordered this in a French restaurant not knowing what it was).

Back to the game it suffered due to dodgy animations, clichéd npcs and a weak mission structure. Overall a decent game well worth a place in the Important category for its ideas and artistic merit.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

LieutenantFatman

I played Sacred 2 back in 2009 in local co-op with my friend. Having played and enjoyed a few hack and slash games on the PS2 we were excited to see what could be accomplished on the PS3. And we really wanted to like Sacred 2 but after playing for several hours and really giving it a chance, as much as we wanted to like it, it was just bad. Awkward to play, very forgettable boring story, uninteresting characters and probably the least memorable hack and slash we ever played and good luck figuring out what the controls are and how everything works. To be honest we put up with some rather mediocore h&s games but this one just wasn't fun at all. And of course now Diablo 3 has shown up on consoles, it's really raised the bar.

But yeah, somewhere between not important and pointless for Sacred 2, I suspect there is some fun in there somewhere if the player has the patience to figure out what it's all about.

LieutenantFatman

Th3solution

Alright, so Saint Seiya ...
These three games are part of a game series that apparently has been around since the 80’s on NES and Gameboy. Based on a really old manga, it seems to have quite a following in Japan.
The three PS3 games seem to all be similar in gameplay, evolving over time. Described as 3D brawlers with a little RPG elements to them, they all have similar Metacritic scores in the 50-60 range.

Sanctuary Battle — the oldest of the three, came out in 2012, has the least info available online to go from but the video I watched looked like a PS2 game. Nothing impressive here.
Pointless

Brave Soldiers — came out is 2013, had a little more traction in the West by then, expanded gameplay, but still nothing earth shattering for those not into the manga series. Apparently the desire to stay true to the manga compromised the balance of gameplay and required this explanation: "Brave Soldiers is not a game designed to be balanced, but rather a game designed to emulate the show with the greatest accuracy possible." Which for me means that it’s not a good game. Playing Injustice 2 right now I see that it is possible to balance characters in creative ways so that the game is fair no matter which you like to play as.
Interestingly, this game amazingly has one outlet (GameZone) that gave it a 0.5/10. That seems harsh for a game that doesn’t explode or brick your system when you load it up. For reference, it’s a 6/10 on Push Square, but the text description doesn’t sell me on the game much.
Not Important

Soldiers’ Soul — (the grammar of the title is bugging me there, but that’s not a typo ... apparently is all the “soldiers” possessing the same singular “soul”, rather than “Soldiers’ Souls” which makes a little more sense, but what do I know). This is a cross gen game having a PS4 version as well. As such it has the most info online about it. It seemed to really expand gameplay more and has a deeper RPG type structure I think. Still nothing special and locked into only those most dedicated fans of the genre or source material. I’ll give it points for artistic merit and innovation.
Existing

As always, if anyone has firsthand experience, I’m open to suggestions.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy The Saboteur is the only game on this list that I'm familiar with; not because I've played it, but because I came damn close to getting it, based on its unique artistic style.

Thanks to @LieutenantFatman for dropping by with some thoughts on Sacred 2, much appreciated.

As always, give it a couple days and I'll be happy to mop up any outstanding analysis.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh, and thanks for your work thusfar, too (apologies, was skipping around the topic). I agree with your suggestion of Saints Row 2 being considered higher than it deserves, because of the conversation it triggered. It's unfortunate, but that's why we have these rankings and not "great, good, bad".

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, it’s hard to not have personal bias affect judgement of these games. I respect those that enjoy games with questionable edginess and I hold to the theory that games are an art form and deserve some degree of expressive leeway, and also that games are a form of escape and fantasy; the average player won’t become a mass murderer, car thief, rapist, or drug addict by playing them, but some games and some people push the boundaries just for the sake of creating a firestorm of controversy. I’m not saying Saints Row did this, but the series did garner a lot of free marketing due to some of the controversy created. And I know there is some mindless fun to be had in these games, even if some of the actual mission titles and gameplay mechanics are so far out there that I’d get banned from Push Square for just typing them here. 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Saint Seiya soldiers soul is one of the hardest games I have ever played on Ps4. Unfairly difficult. I am unsure if that was just me not understanding the gameplay, as if you could play the game without being handed a beating, there is a ton of content.

Th3solution

@themcnoisy Would you agree with ‘Existing’ according to our criteria? By my research it seemed to be the most well developed of the bunch.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution RE: Saints Row, you and I are definitely on the same page.

Although I'm tempted to believe that, of all the games out there which are controversial for the sake of controversy, Saints Row stands tall. But then I've never played one myself, so I'm gonna take that assumption and lock it away for the duration of this round.

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@Th3solution spot on with existing, towards the bottom of the existing games mind. Thanks for the research bro.

themcnoisy

Rock Revolution Zoë Mode Pointless
Rocksmith Ubisoft Montreal Important
🎮 Rocksmith 2014 Ubisoft San Francisco Important
Rogue Warrior Zombie Studios / Rebellion Developments Existing
Rugby League Live Big Ant Studios Not Important
Rugby League Live 2 Big Ant Studios Pointless
Rugby League Live 3 Big Ant Studios Not Important
Rugby World Cup 2011 Big Ant Studios Not Important
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Neverland Co. Existing
The Saboteur Pandemic Studios Important
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Ascaron Entertainment Important
Sacred 3 Keen Games Existing
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers Dimps Corporation Pointless
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle Dimps Corporation Not Important
🎮 Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul Dimps Corporation Existing
Saints Row 2 Volition Important
🎮 Saints Row: The Third Volition Existing
Saints Row IV Volition Existing
Saw Zombie Studios Existing
Saw II Zombie Studios Not Important
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship Milestone Not Important
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship Milestone Existing

Mostly the same as @frigate bar a few tweaks. I would place Rocksmith 2014 as Very Important except for one important point. For those out if the know Rocksmith ruined the guitar game with a plastic controller as you can use your own guitar. You then learn the song for real!

It made the other games look pointless to a degree. The updated Rocksmith was a complete overhaul of the interface and you could play all of the songs from the original if you purchased both, it is more of a learning tool and it failed to sell on ps3 but has quite the legacy on PC.

Th3solution

We’ve got a couple of votes in. Any further discussion? We can deliberate and/or finalize voting over the next couple days. Probably want to wrap up a team submission by Sunday.

RogerRoger

With the solid research on the previous page, and with a couple votes in already, I feel like I'm just gonna have to reflect the consensus this week. I tried looking up a few, agreed with the established verdicts and thought "the team's got this one" (and besides, I'm not feeling 100% this week, so it helps my headache not to have to watch gameplay footage of rock music, rugby and superbikes).

Confirming that I've played none of the below. Lock me in please!

Rock Revolution - Pointless
Rocksmith - Important
Rocksmith 2014 - Important
Rogue Warrior - Existing
Rugby League Live - Not Important
Rugby League Live 2 - Pointless
Rugby League Live 3 - Not Important
Rugby World Cup 2011 - Not Important
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny - Existing
The Saboteur - Important
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel - Important
Sacred 3 - Existing
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers - Pointless
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle - Not Important
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul - Existing
Saints Row 2 - Important
Saints Row: The Third - Important
Saints Row IV - Existing
Saw - Existing
Saw II - Not Important
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship - Not Important
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship - Existing

Apologies for the quick and dirty vote, but then "quick and dirty" would also seem to be an apt description for many of the games we're considering. Of all the weeks to do this, I reckon this is the most valid.

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger quick and dirty - that sums my time up on the xbox 1.

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy

I'd expect nothing less!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Rock Revolution Zoë Mode - Pointless
Rocksmith Ubisoft Montreal - Existing
2014 Ubisoft San Francisco - Important
Rogue Warrior Zombie Studios / Rebellion Developments - Pointless
Rugby League Live Big Ant Studios - Not Important
Rugby League Live 2 Big Ant Studios - Pointless
Rugby League Live 3 Big Ant Studios - Not Important
Rugby World Cup 2011 Big Ant Studios - Not Important
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Neverland Co. - Existing
The Saboteur Pandemic Studios - Important
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Ascaron Entertainment - Important
Sacred 3 Keen Games - Existing
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers Dimps Corporation - Pointless
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle Dimps Corporation - Not Important
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul Dimps Corporation - Existing
Saints Row 2 Volition - Important
Saints Row: The Third Volition - Important
Saints Row IV Volition - Existing
Saw Zombie Studios - Existing
Saw II Zombie Studios - Not Important
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship Milestone - Not Important
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship Milestone - Existing

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Here are my votes. I give myself no credit for playing any of these, as even my time with Saints Row 3 was limited to a couple hours. I also have gone along with the group consensus for the most part, with just a few exceptions based on some of my own research and memory of hearing things second hand. The only notable one that I feel I am far off the current majority is Rogue Warrior. And all due respect to @Frigate who actually played the game, the research I did show it to be an absolute mess, the very epitome of ‘Pointless’. Affected by developmental difficulties and eventually having a new studio, Rebellion, come in to try to salvage the game, only to seemingly make it infinitely worse. It appears to be a travesty to video gaming. Metacritic is 27. A few of the things said about the game include:
“poor controls, multiple glitches, frequent foul language, rushed production, uninteresting gameplay, short length, very limited multiplayer and broken and exploited combat techniques.”
“A very disappointing game from start to finish, Rogue Warrior is a game that brings nothing new to the genre nor does it make for a fun first-person shooter worth the money. Simply put, this isn’t just an awful shooter but it’s also a terrible game. Sorry, but this is one hero we would like to leave behind."
“Abyssmal, 1.5/10.... with the gunplay being as bad as it is, and the story coming across as a six-year-old’s interpretation of Cold War events.”
Anyway, I usually defer to those that have first hand experience but when the absolute best review I could find is a 2/5 from GamesRadar and the author almost apologetically admits in the article that a 2 was probably a stretch for this game where “Absurd violence and inappropriately harsh language do little to help this lame shooter.”

@Jaz007 Are you back from vacation yet, and if so do you have any votes? You mentioned a couple you’ve played (Sacred 2, Saboteur, and Rocksmith I seem to recall) so just want to give you a chance to chime in and also to regain leadership if you so desire. As the substitute steward of Team 404, I will turn back over the scepter of power whenever you would like. But I’m happy to tally votes and post a final result on the main thread tomorrow if you want me to.

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

@Frigate Ha, ha.. well, I feel bad for dumping on Rogue Warrior, so maybe I need to compensate by escalating my vote for Saboteur. What is it about the game that makes it one of your favorites?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.