Forums

Topic: Push Square Podcast

Posts 261 to 280 of 306

BenTarrant

Hi everyone - what did you think of last episode - all that PREY!

It's that time again where we require some questions from you fine folks so let's be having them!

Also, if there's any further feedback on adaptations, additions and such to the show that you'd like to hear then please do let us know and we're keen to evolve, like a Magikarp destined to be a mighty Gyarados.

Thanks for your continued support <3

BenTarrant

PSN: InElegance | Twitter:

Its_badW0lf

@BenTarrant Very good one, I cannot wait to play PREY now, even thinking of checking the original title out.

(Very Long) Question though, from a long time listener but first time caller of sorts I'll give the premise and divide in smaller ones;

There's a lot going on about breaking away from a generation based approach on console, I've personally always looked at a console gaming as the easy approach to good quality gaming without investing continuously on a machine, and while I want to try and play most of the games out there, I would not do it if it was at the cost of having to upgrade to run a game nicely enough each year.

1. What are your opinions on the current "upgrade" policy from Sony on the Playstation front (pointing at the whole Pro benefits vs Standard Console, VR only or added experience through VR enabled features)
2. In your opinion, which could be some deal breaking approach possibilities going forward, from an everyday gamer perspective (access to the widest game offer with minimized cost over time after the initial console investment)
3. What alternatives could you think of, that would keep console gaming on a separate but still competitive level to computer gaming while addressing the minority of people that would still get the latest "upgrade" or "upgraded version"

Thank you!

You and what army?

PSN: its_badW0lf

themcnoisy

This is a question for BP.

Name your last 20 platinums without looking!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

BAMozzy

@xX_RiscazZ_Xx This is my opinion on those points - whether its useful for the podcast or not... LOL

1) - I have no issue with the way Sony have handled the PS4 Pro. Admittedly I do own a Pro and therefore could be Bias. However its an optional upgrade and for the most part, the improvements to games are generally visual. Whilst it may benefit 1080p TV owners to a degree, the main benefit is to those with 4k TV's. With the fact we are still in a transition phase between 1080p and 4k TV ownership, as well as the early stages of VR, I feel the Pro was a 'halfway' step to see them through the few years as more and more upgrade to new technology before the PS5 launches.

2) Moving forward, I don't see a 'need' to release a interim upgrade. Chances are the PS5 would be built to deliver 4k visuals and handle VR for a generation. Unless 4k is very short-lived and we see the jump to 8k or something radically changes for VR - like 4k Screens, then their is little reason to release an upgrade. If the base is delivering 4k (or thereabouts) and VR without 'major compromises, then what tangible reason can Sony (or other console manufacturers) give as a reason to upgrade.

Sony want to sell 4k TV's as well and its clear that's where TV's are headed towards - whether there is a high proportion of owners now or not. Its certainly likely to increase and in a few years, 4k could be in at least 50% of homes. With a console only capable of delivering 1080p quality, its not offering the standards to match the screen resolution in peoples homes. Chances are we will see more and more 900p games too - that's 1 sixth the size of 4k. On a 1080p screen 900p looks a bit 'soft' compared to 1080p but on 4k screens it looks a lot worse - HDR only makes the jaggies on highlights for example much more apparent too.

I feel the Pro was as much more about being able to bridge the TV generation gap until Sony are ready to release its next generation console to match up to the technology the majority will own by then. Like I said, unless there is a significant jump in technology (like 1080p to 4k TVs) or some new device that requires a LOT of processing power (like VR) then chances are we may not see another iteration with Sony's model. I can still see MS bringing out an upgrade every 4yrs or so because they are on a different path - more like a PC where ever 3-4yrs you buy new Hardware - like a GPU, CPU new RAM etc...

3) Consoles are competitive with PC's in general. PC's have pulled ahead because of the advent of higher resolution monitors etc which made the gap significantly more noticeable but in general they are competitive. The current generation (inc PS4) didn't get off to a great start because the standard of PC games was generally at least 1080/60 yet the consoles offered 1080/30 or less. A number of games couldn't even manage 1080pif they opted for 60fps. BF4 for example was 900/60 on PS4 where as a high-end PC could run that at 1440/60 (at least) wasn't many 4k screens around then. This made the consoles look or sound weak but the reality was they still offered the same game-play, same 32v32 battles etc.

To stay competitive, I think consoles need to offer at least 60fps moving forward - more so than hitting 'native' 4k. As proved by the Pro, the 4k checkerboarding is incredibly close (and no doubt over time could get closer) to native 4k. Its only when you are inches from the screen and studying stills that you can see the difference. Therefore a console could offer 60fps and 4k checkerboarding to compete with PC's - instead of seeing Dynamic scaling we may see games use checkerboarding for frames to keep frame rates up - its still a 4k image size so should keep the visuals looking more consistent. With HDMI 2.1, you could see the potential for higher frame rates on TV's as well as Game VRR which is like n-Synch or free-synch on PC's. For the next gen though, 4k checkerboard/60fps should be the minimum standard to compete with PC's. Obviously the selection of 'exclusives' are always going to be a reason to game on Console for those with PC's as well as the advantages that Consoles have.

Anyway that's my thoughts.

The TLDR is that I don't expect iterative mid-season consoles unless external factors dictate the need. To compete moving forward, Consoles would need to hit (a locked) 60fps as a minimum - even if that means not hitting native 4k.

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

I wouldn't mind an interlude tune halfway through;

Its the pocast show done by bens
For all pushsquare fans, both women and men
Used to live close but now are parted
Tarrant is rubbish at uncharted
Potter plays games for the plat
But not on pro as he thinks that's shat
Rubbish games get in de bin
Second half now lets begin.

Something like that maybe?

DerMeister

@BenTarrant Isn't that Joey's avatar?

Anyway, actual podcast questions-

-What would you say is your most cherished video game treasure or item (such as a piece of memorabilia, a 100% save, maybe a certain console, stuff like that)?
-What would you say makes the Uncharted franchise so special?

Now, about the podcast, should we expect a certain date every month for a new episode to be uploaded?

I ask too many questions.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Bigkopman

What game character did you guys like that was either in a crap game and deserved better or one you really liked and what type of game would you like them in?

https://card.exophase.com/2/0/40863.png?1570923228
https://card.psnprofiles.com/2/Bigkopman.png

PSN: Bigkopman | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

What do you guys think of Netflix style subscriptions services for gaming, such as Microsoft announced? Who do you see paying for such a service?

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BenTarrant

@themcnoisy This is a thing of absolute beauty - I'll try to convince Potter to do a duet with me on the show! @DerMeister Damn quickly finds something equally as cool as Spyro in sunnies

Thanks so much for your questions and general contributions as always folks! If there's anything else yoy'd like thrown in, you've got tomorrow to do so!

BenTarrant

BenTarrant

Episode 23 is starting to filter out into the wild - SoundCloud is definitely live right now so feel free to get listening! YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher and the usual article won't be far behind. MASSIVE episode to compliment the slightly longer time between episodes, please feel free to send any feedback our way and hope you enjoy the show!

@xX_RiscazZ_Xx We managed to answer the first part of your question on the show, so be sure to tune in for that. But I'll give you my thoughts on the other parts here:

I think consoles are competing with the PC market beautifully at the moment - especially in terms of financial cost. You can pick up a PS4 Pro and a PSVR together for under £800 - to get a PC build and respective VR headset to compete would cost in excess of a grand. It's a neat package that just works outside the box and that's something PC's just don't offer. It's like the Apple/PC argument. Sure a PC does x,y and z but the faff and prior knowledge to achieve that is quite varied whereas a Mac has a very user friendly OS albeit a restrictive one.

The line is certainly blurring between console and PC but they're still individual and cater to often entirely different markets and as such, I don't think they necessarily need to directly compete with one and other.

@themcnoisy We totally put this in the show!

BenTarrant

Its_badW0lf

@BAMozzy & @BenTarrant those are very interesting points, thank you so much for the time you guys put into the replies, definitely an exciting time to be a gamer, whichever way it goes!

Waiting on the article with the link!

You and what army?

PSN: its_badW0lf

themcnoisy

@BenTarrant Haha brilliant reading the poem, thanks lads that made my night. Great show as always and the hard work is appreciated!

DerMeister

Another good episode, gentlemen!

I actually liked the Moan of the Month segment. I'm normally not a fan of "I'm gonna cry about something for your entertainments", but you guys actually had a good discussion.

I would really like to see a disc of PS1 era classics for PS4. When I had a PS1, some of the games I had were collections of old Atari games, as well as Namco Museum. It probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

themcnoisy

@DerMeister Count me in with that! Maybe even a Rare Replay / sega mega collection / Capcom classics type disc. 20 of the best games etc. BTs idea of a first party emulator on a disc was awesome - Sony needs to listen to this podcast if it isn't already.

BenTarrant

‪A wild request appeared! Got some questions? Now is the time to ask them as we're looking for questions from you fine people for the next episode.

Thanks for all your contributions and for sticking with us with the switch to monthly!

BenTarrant

Bigkopman

Q: What game (past or present) would you like to be an NPC in and what would your quest be for the protagonist to complete and what voice would you have, yours or an actor?

https://card.exophase.com/2/0/40863.png?1570923228
https://card.psnprofiles.com/2/Bigkopman.png

PSN: Bigkopman | Twitter:

DerMeister

How difficult is it for you guys to review games?

themcnoisy

Get in, that must mean another podcast is around the corner!

Maths question; (follow the sum in order)
Add the bits in a mega drive to the gb space in a PS3 hdd. Divide by mainline games in the Uncharted series. Divide by the controller ports on a Nintendo 64 . Add the amount of buttons on a dual shock 4 not including the triggers, d-pad or sticks. Then finally subtract the number of Grand theft auto games you can play on PS4. What's the answer?

Rudy_Manchego

Gaming Cosplay question - assuming you had no choice, who or what and why?

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.