Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site.

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,116

kyleforrester87

I find such features somehow encourage subtle trolling and antisocial behaviour on other website as people try to get the most "liked" comment.

Having said that, they also often come with a "down vote" feature as well, so perhaps just having the like feature alone wouldn't be so bad.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

Like buttons are daft. They encourage trolling and bullying, as you can use the ability indiscriminately.

If you had a star once a week to post on your favourite comment then people wouldn't be so trigger happy. You could reset it once a week.That's my opinion anyway.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

BAMozzy

I personally have never understood the 'like' or 'dislike' button - particularly in general posts. I can understand if its for a 'post' that has some helpful, useful, practical tips/advice or fixes but for the majority of posts where people express an opinion it really doesn't make much sense to me. Having someone 'like/dislike' one of my opinions doesn't change or enforce it. It makes no difference to me and I doubt it would make any significant difference to others either.
In 'useful' posts - ie those offering tips, advice or fixes to problems, its easier to like and keep the forums free from lots of posts thanking someone and saying how useful their post was but for general conversation and discussion, I really don't see the need. All a like says is that you have a similar viewpoint/opinion to the poster. Will it lead to posters trying to 'fish' for likes (for example, as this is a PS based site by hating on MS, by hating on CoD or another popular franchise as its 'fashionable' etc) instead of expressing their true opinion or even fearing that they can't express in case they don't get likes?
I do think the moderators do a fantastic job of stopping trolls and bullies and keep the forums a safe and happy place to express opinions (as long as they are not trolling or bullying) even if it is 'negative' about PS or a franchise as long as it backed up by evidence (i.e not just saying something is rubbish).
Like I said, I do think there is a place for a 'like' or even a 'dislike' button but I don't see why it would benefit this site.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

themcnoisy

@get2sammyb: Cool sounds good. When are the changes being implemented - looking forward to it!!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Jaz007

Is the update still on track to happen this year?
And I'm not really sure how I feel about a like system. I predict it'll get removed though.

Jaz007

Tasuki

@TheMightyPunram: It does matter when you get complaints over and over and over.

Honestly I don't see the point in a Like or Dislike button. What does it matter if someone likes or dislikes what you posted? You posted it didn't you? Have we as a society become so bad that we need validation on what we post now?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

TOUGHDUDE94

In the update can we have also a counter on upvotes on post where a post has 25 it will show also a total number of upvotes on each poster.

TOUGHDUDE94

PSN: TOUGHDUDE94

BAMozzy

Its things like that that make me really hate the 'like' button even more. You know you are going to get people that think they are more 'right' than others because their comment has more 'likes' or that they are better or more significant than others because of this too. I have seen it happen on many websites before!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

kyleforrester87

@andrew20: lol as @Tasuki: said, is that validation really so important?

@BAMozzy and I agree, there are plenty of examples I've seen of people referring to the number of likes on their previous comment and using it as ammunition to aggressively assert their opinion, when in reality the person they are commenting against has an equally valid, if less popular, point of view. And it only results in the person with the least popular point of view looking, and perhaps feeling, somewhat victimised. That's even without a dislike function!

(Incidentally, I wonder if this comment would be liked or not? haha)

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

TOUGHDUDE94

@get2sammyb: where we can ask questions about the update and how it will affect everyone and how to deal with it. Also what we need to do when it happens and rules and responsibilities that come with the update when confirmed

TOUGHDUDE94

PSN: TOUGHDUDE94

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic