Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site.

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,116

DerMeister

Tasuki wrote:

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago when I was responding to someone in a forum post. You have a reply button on the comment section of news articles that when you click it you automatically applys an @ username to your post, so why not have that feature in the forums section as well. Yeah you have the quote button but I dont like using it when there is a wall of quotes or if I am trying to get the attention of a particular user.

Surely I am not the only one who would like this feature.

Yeah, same here. I rarely use the quote button during serious discussion since seeing a bunch of walls of text is not only redundant, but visually offputting and makes it hard to get a point across when you have to read a giant box before your post is seen.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Tasuki

DerMeister wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago when I was responding to someone in a forum post. You have a reply button on the comment section of news articles that when you click it you automatically applys an @ username to your post, so why not have that feature in the forums section as well. Yeah you have the quote button but I dont like using it when there is a wall of quotes or if I am trying to get the attention of a particular user.

Surely I am not the only one who would like this feature.

Yeah, same here. I rarely use the quote button during serious discussion since seeing a bunch of walls of text is not only redundant, but visually offputting and makes it hard to get a point across when you have to read a giant box before your post is seen.

Wow that was quick. @antdickens Thank you so much

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

SteveButler2210

That really was some speedy service. You don't see other major sites reacting that quickly to feedback, nice one @antdickens! #4thereaders.......

From 16/08/15 I’m going for sober for six months to raise money for the Princess Alice Hospice. Donations can be made here and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated: https://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Butler5

Wish me luck!

[url=http://psnprofiles.com/SteveButler2210][/url...

PSN: SteveButler2210

SteveButler2210

@antdickens: I usually refrain from such things, but it was just so appropriate!

From 16/08/15 I’m going for sober for six months to raise money for the Princess Alice Hospice. Donations can be made here and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated: https://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Butler5

Wish me luck!

themcnoisy

Boom its done already? #4thereaders this will make posting loads easier.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Jaz007

If someone's post get edited by a mod, I think that person should get an E-mail notifying him or her so they don't miss it.

Jaz007

Kidfried

In most aspects PushSquare is getting better every day. Features are being added, the writing is getting better and better and the amount of output you guys deliver is great, but one thing's been bugging me. I don't know what the reason is, but since I'm visiting PushSquare.com I have the feeling the site's been getting more and more 'heavy' (performance wise).

I don't have the newest laptop in the world. It's two years old, so it's not that bad either. I always have applications running in the background, so that may be part of the problem, but the fact is that a lot of other sites are running smooth on my computer. Even a comparable site like IGN runs ok on my computer, whereas Push Square stutters.

As for now I really don't see another way of normally visiting the site without ad-block enabled (with my ad-block on it's running smooth as when I first started visiting this site). I hate using ad-block on sites I hold so dear and I really wanna support you guys, but my computer just can barely handle Push Square like this.

I've noticed an ad on the front page, right above the 'forum topics' header that doesn't load for me. I think that's also part of why the website is so slow. (it's the video player ad: Untitled )

According to test the PushSquare frontpage is easily 3MB in size, whereas IGN and most gaming related sites are even under 2MB... that's quite a difference too.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

SteveButler2210

No performance issues for me on desktop. Sometimes bit of lag loading the ads on mobile (which can lead to accidentally clicking on the wrong article when half the page suddenly moves to accommodate an ad) but tbh that's expected if you're not in a great signal area and no different to my experience on other sites!

Wish me luck!

Jaz007

I think a filter that refuses posts with the F word should be implemented. I get why we wouldn't have it for other espcially with Japanese names and stuff, but I think this one would do more good than trouble. And make no mistake, the mods here are great with keeping this place clean, but there is still a small bit of time between posting a inappropriate post and when @Tasuki is able to sweep through like a ninja.

Jaz007

SteveButler2210

While I totally agree with what @Jaz007 is saying, I have to give some serious credit to the speed with which @Tasuki manages to clamp down on that sort of thing. I check the site pretty darn regularly throughout the day, and I don't think I've ever actually seen a post like that where Tasuki hadn't already gotten to it!

Wish me luck!

Tasuki

get2sammyb wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

If someone's post get edited by a mod, I think that person should get an E-mail notifying him or her so they don't miss it.

Yes, I would like this feature too, @antdickens.

Whoa I missed this and yes I would like that too if it can be done.

Also @Jaz007 I try to get them as soon as I can but sometimes I can't this is usually when I am sleeping or at work and even at work it's maybe a couple of hours since I check the site when I am on break for that very reason.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

AdamNovice

@SteveButler2210: I agree, I've visited many sites and I don't think there's one that's as well moderated as this. Of course it's only a modest size community but when places like Dualshockers and PlayStation lifestyle have people who spam ad's or make comments for the sake of flaming the community it makes me appreciate the work that goes on here.
I also think it should be said that we individually can help keep the site clean and family friendly by not engaging with anyone that tries to bring people down or create forum topics with the intent to fan flames, just press the report button and let the staff do the rest. I've been learning to do this a bit more often.

Edited on by AdamNovice

AdamNovice

Twitter:

Jaz007

@Tasuki: Not to worry, I don't have any complaints about your speed. I think you do a fantastic job. It's just an ounce of prevention is worth an ounce of cure type thing.

Jaz007

get2sammyb

@adf86: One of the advantages we have on this site over those other sites you mentioned is that this is our own proprietary commenting system. Those sites use Disqus, so while it's a positive because people don't have to create unique accounts for them, I personally feel their communities suffer for it.

@Jaz007: Agree with you. @Tasuki does an absolutely incredible job, but I'd like it if we could cut down his workload, too! We actually have this functionality built into the live chat, so it shouldn't be too challenging to introduce it across the site. We just have to make sure it's done right, because obviously we don't want a word like 'assess' showing up as 'a****s' - that's not fun for anyone either!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic